The Renaissance Man Pt. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It's not full of whiskey," he said, "I got enough to fill it with Glenlivet 12 Year First Fill Single Malt Scotch directly via the regional sales rep and saved a lot of dollars."

I knew it had to set him back a few thousand so I said, "The only time this will be used is when you're with me."

Mom laid the bag from Harvey's on the table. "We brought us all their egg ham and cheese biscuits for a late breakfast."

Trish finally descended to join us wearing the housecoat she had made years ago. I got the coffee cups out and poured us all a cup. The four of us went over to the dining table to eat our breakfast.

As soon as I was done eating, I went up and got changed while the rest of the family chatted. I came back downstairs and went out and brought my luggage in along with the box. Inside of it were six FedEx security shipping envelopes that were filled. I took it to my small office and brought back out two of them.

The ladies looked at me with interest as I poured them a large flute glass of orange juice and champagne. I gave it to them and told them to go settle themselves on the living room couch. I brought the envelopes over with a box of tissues.

"Dad and I are going to go crack open his Texas mickey," I said. "While you two ladies open this surprise gift for both of you."

I had no sooner left the room when I heard them opening the package. Trish would later tell me at first, they couldn't believe what they were seeing. Between the eighteenth-century village and her eyes was the title "Tearstained Buttercup Eyes." Beneath was "J. S. Tait the Silent One."

I handed Dad the two glasses and he pumped a double shot in each. From the front of the fridge, he added the ice and water. We had just had our first sip when we heard the girls crying.

"What now," said John out loud.

"They just got a first edition copy, basically hot off the press of my latest book," I said. "That won't be released until the first of November."

"So, you wrote a book, that's not a big deal," John said.

"Dad your wife works with the print media," I explained. "She knows who hot and who's not."

With that said the girls came into the kitchen each carrying their copy of the book.

"You're the one called "the Silent One," Helen said. "I have read and have kept all ten of your hardcover editions. Your books are discussed a lot in our local book club. Why did you pick that name as your pen name?"

"As a child when my parents had guests, I was taught to be seen but not heard when they were entertaining. I submitted my first book using that name and it just stuck." I replied.

"I've read the hype; Winter's Sigh is expected to break one point five million in sales by year-end. This one is expected to do even more before year-end" Helen said. "The big reveal is going to be on Fox and Friends on November the first."

"Have you read the dedication in the front?" I asked.

Trish opened her copy and found it. She read it out loud. "To Trish Nicole whose inner soul has shown me that when her walk on earth is done, she will be given her angel wings to sit beside God and Jesus in heaven."

Dad watched, as both Helen and Trish wrapped themselves around me as their tears flowed freely.

While holding them I said, "Dad with each new release my older book sells well. Last year the total number of books sold was about three million copies. It averages out that I make about five dollars a copy. On new releases for the first year, I make ten dollars a copy. They are still selling so well that the publisher still refuses to print paperback editions."

Even Trish's father was having trouble grasping it all. The truth was overwhelming.

Things had settled down a bit when my cellphone rang. I knew by the tone it was Pat. They listened to me as I talked to her and explained how it had all gone. Then she asked to speak to Trish.

Pat talked to Trish and we saw her eyes light up. Then she said, "it's too much. Scott and I will have to discuss it!"

I smiled because I already knew what Trish had just been told. When Pat had told me what she wanted to do I had no problem with it. I said her biggest hurdle was going to get Trish to agree to it.

"Mom," Trish said as she handed her my cell. "Pat would like to talk to you about a business arrangement."

Mom left us and went off to discuss things with Pat in private. When she came back, she was beaming with pride.

While dad poured us another Scotch, I refilled the lady's glasses. The ladies sat at the bar counter. I found a dry black felt pen and signed both of their books. I wrote gifted with love J Scott Tait.

"Pat wants to pay for our wedding," Trish said. "no matter what we decide to do."

"I've been asked to look after the arrangement for the pre-launch party because they want to do it here," Helen said. "I told that I would love to do it, but she best clear it with my boss, so I gave her his cell phone number. Most of the department stores and some of the wanna be's are some of our clients so we buy some of our hardcover books directly from them already."

Dad was standing there smiling. All of a sudden, he started to chuckle.

Trish said, "What are you thinking about Dad?"

"When you got your promissory ring, I asked you how many kids you planned to have if you and Scott got married," He said. "Your answer was that you would gladly bring into this world as many as you and Scott could afford to raise."

Trish was drinking some of her orange juice and champagne as he said it. It ended up coming through her nose as her body responded.

"Remember Trish, Mom said she saw you with six," Helen added. "John do you think we should start looking for a minibus so we can take the grandchildren out."

I lost it and started laughing so did John.