The Renaissance Man Pt. 04

Story Info
The Grand Ball.
11.7k words
4.85
16.1k
34
3

Part 4 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 10/19/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Part 4 The Grand Ball

Trish was resting at her nursing station. Her mind recouping from the emotional rollercoaster she had been on all weekend. Being away from Scott and not knowing what was going on made her realize just how much she was in love with him.

Worrying about her own situation and trying to calm down her Mom's growing anger with her father had been draining. She was now wondering if she had been looking for Scott to do something like this would she had caught him.

Having Scott popping the question out of the blue when she had been ready to kill him had caused her to experience the whole emotional gambit. At that moment anger, love relief, and surprise had been felt by her at once. It was going to take a long time to accept that her father had conspired so well with Scott. She had turned her ring upside down, so her new diamond engagement ring remained hidden.

She was trying to savor a few more minutes of the solitude of feeling protected and secure in a loving relationship that she had given up on ever having. She was waiting for the right time to break the news to her girlfriend Jennifer. In part, she was worried that Jennifer would be overwhelmed with emotions also, because of how far she had traveled emotionally since her birthday.

It had been over nine years since Jesse had left her standing at the altar. Never could she have imagined the love she was experiencing and living with now. When Scott had gotten down on his knee to propose there had been no hesitation or doubt on her part.

This morning before dawn, she had awakened to see Scott sound asleep beside her. It had caused a sense of peace and tranquility to enter her that she was still carrying inside. Never had she felt so blessed. She was in love with the man that had made love with her last night. Never had she seen her life becoming so complete.

Over breakfast that morning they had decided on the second Saturday in December as their wedding date. It had been a childhood dream that was now was going to be fulfilled. They had discussed the pros and cons of Pat's offer. Scott was worried that Pat might want to turn it into a media event. Trish decided to allow Pat's firm to pay for everything.

"Jennifer, do me a favor," Trish asked after the morning rush was done. "Open up your calendar to December for me and let me know when it's done."

"Ok it's open," Jennifer said. "It's completely blank as it always is this time of year."

"Type in 'Dfgs Mmoh' on the second Saturday of the month," Trish said. "And be sure to hit save."

"Okay, done that." But what does that mean," Jen asked?

Trish turned her ring back up to expose the diamond. Holding out her hand she said, "Daughters flower girls, Me maid of honor."

"Omg your engaged to Scott and have set the date," Jennifer said. "That's great. Tell when did this all happen?"

"Better than telling you," Trish just emailed the video of it and said, "Watch it on your break then we will talk."

---------

Helen Malley walked into her office ready for another normal Monday. Wondering if Pat had already made contact. She had just sat down at her desk when her assistant stuck her head in.

"I don't know what going on," She said. "But the general manager has been here since seven and calling every fifteen minutes wondering if you were in. I just talked to him again and he's on his way down. I'll go get you a strong coffee because I think you're going to need it."

She was setting the coffee on Helen's desk when the overall boss walked in. "Would you like me to get you a coffee?"

"Yes please," He said. "Double cream and double sugar. I'm going to be here for a while."

When she returned with the coffee Helen asked her to hold all calls until their meeting was done. Helen's assistant noticed that the general manager left Helen's office two hours later he was wearing a big smile on his face. It was obvious now that something good was happening.

"Amy grab us both a cup of coffee," Helen said. "Lock the busy signal on our phones because we got some big planning to do."

While she waited for her assistant, she texted both Trish and Scott to let them know that on her end it's a go.

----------

Jen came back from her break wearing a huge smile on her face, "Your Dad and Scott got both your mother and you good. The look on your face when Scott first spoke to you in his normal voice is priceless Ms. Maureen O'Hare, I think I'm going to get that frame blown up to a poster size for when I throw your wedding shower."

"I should have known something was up because Dad kept telling Mom that it was going to be an anniversary that she would never forget because he had not planned anything different," Trish said. "And boy did that ever turn out to be true. I was in complete shock when I heard Scott's voice. I got so mad at him that I was going to knock his block off. Then Scott surprised me by getting down on his knee. It was the last thing on my mind thanks' to those two and their scheming."

"So why was he away for so long then," Jen asked.

"He went to New York to get his disguise completely made up. He knew in order to pull it off it had to be something that I had never seen," Trish explained. "And to pick up the wedding set for me from Tiffany's."

"I don't know how your Dad was able to keep it a secret," Jen said. "He has a long history of blowing it."

"Mom thought he was tied up with an Insurance rep who was inspecting the plant. He had told her that the company's liability insurance was under review. Then on Friday, he called her to inform her that the Insurance company was sending in a rep on Saturday for an inspection of the plant as they always do when renewing or changes are made. Dad figured it would take most of the weekend." Trish said before continuing.

"Mom had been bitchy about what was going on all day on Saturday. Dad's Job responsibilities were ruining everything. Dad did not say a thing he just took all in stride. When she saw Scott, unveiling himself in front of us all she lost it," Trish disclosed. "I think, worse than I did. She was still crying when Scott and I made it back to our table. She had been riding my dad's ass all day and she knew it. In guilt, Mom said she would never live this day down."

Jen broke up laughing. It had to be shocking for Helen to learn that after all those years of marriage John was able to get one over her.

Just then Stephen showed up. "Trish, I got to warn you, the head of human resources is on his way down to talk to you and he's not alone. The Chief Financial Officer is coming with him."

"What do they want to talk about? Do you know?" Trish asked.

"Most likely The Woods, Scott, and you," Stephen said. "There's more to this than we know. Otherwise, they would have called you up instead of coming to you."

Jen and Trish found something to do quickly on the computers. Trish was reflecting on everything when she saw them approaching. Trish had already decided that no matter what was said she was going to discuss it with Scott first.

When they approached her to talk, they suggested that they should go into her former supervisor's office. Jen noticed the meeting went on for a long time. When the big shots came out, they did not look happy. It apparently had not gone as they had planned.

As soon as they left the floor Jen asked, "What was that all about?"

"The reason our department head was fired was that her conduct cost the hospital a three million dollar annual grant to the maternity ward from the Mrc foundation," Trish disclosed. "They learned from billing that all of Woods' medical bills were to be sent to Scott since he is on the board."

"It seems the grant was to cover cases like Carla Woods and the hospital's staff conduct proved that the money wasn't being used in the way it was intended," Trish explained. "Stephen had to disclose my relationship with Scott to them when they asked him what he knew about the whole situation. I think the Hospital management is trying to use me to get back on good terms with Mrc."

"So, they were grilling you trying to find a way in to perhaps getting it back," Jen said. "That's low, putting you in the middle like that."

"That's not all," Trish said. "They offered me the job of being the head of the department."

"Are you going to accept it," Jen asked?

"I told them what I am telling you," Trish said. "I cannot give them an answer before I discuss it with my future husband, but I promised to give them an answer within two weeks."

"You think the only reason they are offering you the position is because of your relationship with Scott," Jen stated.

"Let's just say that when they saw the size of my engagement ring, they saw their chances of manipulating me going out of the window," Trish said while smiling. "That was when they increased their offer by throwing in a huge raise."

--------

Helen had just disclosed to her assistant that with the general manager's approval she was now assigned to set up and organize a pre-launch book party to announce the release of the 'Silent One' newest release planned for November Second. As a result of the party by invitation only would be held the night of the first.

The books would be coming in bulk under an assumed name at no cost for giving away the night before. This added protective level was to ensure that nothing got slipped out to the public. Helen also informed Amy that his true identity would be revealed on 'fox and friends' earlier that same day.

During the next week all of their clients would be receiving a special drop of ten copies of every book he had ever written, and a contest box for submitting their name into. They would have until the third Saturday in October to enter. Fed ex would pick up the boxes and have them delivered here overnight. The winner would win a complete set of all his works plus get an all-expenses-paid trip to attend the launch party on November the first.

"How in the hell did the general manager swing that," Amy asked. "Everyone is dying to know who the silent one is. The author writes into his stories an emotional tug that you know before the book is done, you'll have been crying or laughing out loud. Read one of his books and your hooked. You end up learning as you read it a second time just how much you missed when you read it the first time."

"He didn't I did, but before I agreed to do it for the publishing firm, I told them I needed his approval. They contacted him at home yesterday. He came down this morning to learn just what I had suggested. As a result, both you and I have been given a ten percent raise effective at the start of the last pay period." Helen said.

"The boss is so excited for us to be given an honor like this because the media hype about it will be worth millions in free publicity within the media itself. We have to find a location, order catering, decide on decorations, order invitations and to have them all sent out asap." Helen added.

Amy was in awe. Not only was the 'Silent One' her favorite author but Helen by what was happening had to have a direct connection to him. The rumors about the silent one living in the area had just been confirmed to be true.

----------

Trish had gotten home to discover Scott had dinner ready and was waiting. Scott had made meatloaf, potato wedges with cheese, sour cream and a side salad. The meal had been delicious. They were in the middle of clean up when her cell rang.

"My aunt Shelia is calling." She explained. As she answered it and turned the speaker on, she said, "this should be a hoot."

"Hi Aunt Sheila, it's been a while, how are you and Uncle Eve doing," Trish asked?

"Oh, we're both doing ok, but enough about us," Shelia said. "I'm just trying to keep myself busy so I can just get through it this year."

"What's wrong you always seem to enjoy it," Trish said. "And they always turn out so well. So, what's really bothering you."

"This birthday has got me feeling old. I'm just calling to see if you would be attending my birthday get together this year or not?" Shelia said. "Knowing what the answer usually is, I figured I might as well get over it."

"Well I haven't attended in nine years, but this year I think I will attend if I can bring someone with me," Trish said knowing her aunt's curiosity would be rising fast. "Will the dance be beginning at the usual time of nine pm?"

"You're coming! Your bringing someone. This is unbelievable. What is going on in your life Trish Nicole?" Aunt Shelia asked. "How come I have not heard about this from your mom?"

"Mom has been keeping everything to herself deliberately," Trish said. "She was so afraid to say or do anything that might jeopardize what was happening in my life. You know damn well that she really has not let go of the guilt she feels because of what happened years ago."

"That's fine with the family history and with what happened I can understand that, but why has she been so distant these last few months?" Shelia asked. "If something was troubling her, she would always confide in me."

"Aunt Shelia, You and I both know that she can't be around you if she's trying to keep a secret. Especially if the secret concerns me," Trish said with a giggle. "And what's going on with my life."

"Trish you're not being fair. Answer me this, is the person coming with you a male or a female?" Shelia asked. "Friend or something else?"

I was watching Trish as she was having fun with her aunt. She exchanged the hand she had the phone in and whispered for a pen and paper. She wrote on it can we loan my dad the Chevy impala on the first Saturday in October. I nodded my head in yes.

"Aunt Shelia all I will say for now on anything is that on the first Saturday in October at 4 pm I expect you to be standing with your husband at the entrance to your ballroom all dressed and ready for the evening," Trish said. "During the dance, the answers to all your questions and more will be revealed throughout the rest of the evening."

"That's three weeks away, Trish you're not being fair," Shelia said. "I'm your aunt show a little mercy."

"OK I will give you this," Trish said. "There's been a lot of changes in my life. One big one is the fact that I no longer live in the apartment with Tina. I moved out and she has a new roommate."

"What you moved, when? Trish this is not funny I demand answers." Aunt Shelia said forcefully.

"I promise you will get them that night. I love you Aunt Sheila, goodbye." Trish said before she ended the call.

"What is going on in that mind of yours," I asked. "I saw a bit of mischievousness come into your eyes."

"Aunt Shelia and Mom have been distant with each other since you came into my life, for the reasons you just heard," Trish explained. "Aunt Sheila is not actually a relation. She and Uncle Everett were best man and maid of honor for our parent's wedding, as my parents were for theirs. She knows mom better than anyone."

"Neither one of them is good at keeping secrets from each other. That's why mom has become distant. She's afraid she will spill everything to her when they speak and that will put a jinx on everything. Mom has also been afraid she is going to wake up one morning to find out it was all a dream. With your help, I think we can mend their relationship and keep my Aunt in surprise all night."

We discussed everything that we knew about their relationship with each other. Trish explained that her aunt Shelia used her birthday party as a way of raising funds for her favorite charity.

I told her I would try to find all the police reports the local area had on the four of them during their teenage years before they got married and settled down. I had thought by doing that it might help us develop a plan.

I suggested that we use a scheme I had used in my books. On the night of her birthday celebration, we would tie the past, the present, and the future into a bundle that would keep her twisting and turning all night. She will end up feeling confused, emotional, and excited because of being off balance and unprepared for what happens next.

We also discussed her work situation.

"Look dear I am not going to tell you what to do," I said "The money I gave them was to cover people like Carla Woods which they were not doing. I feel the hospital was just taking advantage of me and my giving nature."

"We just need to keep in mind that we have a lot of choices ahead of us. If you want 'au pairs' so that you can keep working when we have children, we can afford it. If you want to quit and stay at home that's fine too." I said. "I will support you no matter what you chose to do. Once we have children our priorities will become them and their needs."

---------

It was Saturday when Mom and Dad dropped over unexpectedly. Mom wanted to throw some idea's in front of me concerning the Book Party. They had been here for about an hour when Dan, Carla and the twins arrived.

I let them in. Dan and I were assigned the responsibility of carrying in the twins. Carla brought the baggage that every parent has with babies. It was the first time we'd seen them since the hospital.

Trish's mother loved newborn's and was all over them as soon as their protective blankets were off of them. Carla like any new mother was busy talking all about her pride and joys.

"Okay," Trish said. "Dan and Carla, I want you to meet my parents John and Helen Malley."

They all shook hands and returned to look at the babies.

Then Trish reached down and picked up one of the babies and handed it to me before picking up the other.

"Mom and Dad, we wish to introduce you to our godchildren Trish and Scott Woods," Trish said. "Would you take a couple of pictures of us with them? We want to start our first album for them."

"What, really?" Helen said. "Congratulations I guess that makes John and I great godparents."

Helen took over like the mother hen she was. Carla and Dan soon found out that both of them and the twins were expected to be at family dinners every Sunday from now on. I stood at the sidelines and watched the show.

'Is your future mother in law always like this," Dan asked when he came over to stand beside me? "It's like we're already considered to be part of the family."

"The first weekend I met Trish, Helen seemed to know I was going to become a permanent member of what she considers her family," I explained. "When we disclosed our relationship with the twins. That meant you were automatically family in her eyes. Get used to it because she will smother you with her love."

Carla came over as Dan and I were making us all something to drink and said "I can't believe it, Dan, we got two babysitters whenever they are needed. Helen wants us to go over tomorrow and go through their attic to see if there is anything we can use and stay for dinner."

"I laughed and said, "Welcome to my world."

-------------

It was two weeks to the day that she had been approached by upper management. Her Aunt's birthday celebration was happening this coming Saturday. I had set up the second of the carousels in their home. When the third was done we would have them appraised.

Using their home office, she had typed out her response to the hospital's offer. After a long discussion with me, I had provided her with the answer without me even knowing.

"Trish, everything I do I love doing," I said. "Life is too short to waste it on things that help you just to get by. My uncle James was born death so when I could afford it, using the foundation I had the best doctors in North America look at his case without his knowing who was funding it. With the implants, they were able to give him for free what he never had. He may never be rich but to him, he is rich because he can now hear a bird sing. He has a quality in life that most can't see because he appreciates the gift of hearing and sees the beauty of it."