The Renaissance Man Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Shelia had to put her hand over her mouth to stop herself from screaming out. She was totally in shock. The tears she was shedding were ones of pure joy. Mr. Claus had helped her daughter Fran out a while back. Fran had never been appreciative of the help she had been given. Yet Scott had never said a thing.

"One more thing Aunt Shelia," Trish whispered "Scott and I expect you and uncle Eve to come for lunch after your parents go home. That way you get a chance to see our home."

"But I don't know where you two live," Shelia said.

"Sure, you do. It's your favorite house." Trish teased "The one you call the Christmas Cottage."

Shelia was stunned she had no clue. But now with what she knew it made perfect sense. Helen came over and joined her daughter. Shelia just squeezed their hands until she calmed down.

"Helen you could have told me, and I would not have believed you," Shelia said. "It still seems too unbelievable even with the proof. Will we ever come down from where we are now emotionally and mentally?"

"Not until they are on their honeymoon, I'm afraid," Helen said. "With the book launch party and the wedding to help to organize it's going to be a crazy couple of months."

"Book launch party," Shelia "What are you talking about Helen?"

"The firm I work for is handling it for the publisher," Helen replied. "So, it's my baby to put together and promote. For Scott and my daughter, I have to make it perfect."

"Well, Trish and Scott this building is yours to use if you want it rent-free, for both events," Shelia said.

I looked at Trish who was nodding her head, so I said. "We accept it for both events only if the ladies book club agrees to help us organize them."

I thought that her smile could not have gotten bigger, but I was proved wrong. Shelia kissed Trish on the cheek then did the same to me. By the time Eve got back his wife was calmed down.

During the band's second session I got to dance with all the Malley ladies at least once. Ruby got me on the floor for a waltz so did Marge who was excited for Trish and me.

It was during the second intermission that Shelia took to the mike. "I want to thank all in attendance for coming, but I think an explanation is needed concerning my conduct. My niece Trish Malley decided to make this event an emotional rollercoaster ride for me tonight because I told her a couple of weeks ago that this birthday was making me feel old."

"At four pm today with some help, Trish took my husband, her parents, and I for a three-hour ride down memory lane. For those three hours, it was as if we were young teenagers again. Even the music that was playing was a blast from the past. We were caught up in it when we got stopped by the police. The moment we saw who the officer was we all knew that we had been set up. He had stopped us so much when we were young that he knew us by our first names. He followed us back to where we had got the car."

"Upon our return to the hall, I discovered Eve's father and my father waiting for us just like they did when we were young. Both of them had their arms crossed. Just like when we were teens the read us the riot act."

"I don't care how old you are when your fathers are standing there with their arms crossed ready to read you the riot act, you're still that scared little girl."

We could hear a few chuckles coming from the many quests and friends.

"I then got introduced in a sneaky way to Trish's date for the evening. Boy was that ever a surprise. I didn't even know that they knew each other. It was a man that Eve and I had come to know quite well over the years." Shelia said. "Never if someone had told me could I ever had pictured these two being together"

"Their secrets were revealed to us who did not know in such an innocent way that I was being overwhelmed emotionally by them to the extreme. But those two were not done playing with my life yet."

"At the start of the dance, thanks to Trish and Scott the four us relieved how the four of us all met and became friends," Shelia said. "Trish and her boyfriend later gave me a priceless gift that showed me the faith and trust they had in me. As a result of that gift, I was pushed to my emotional limits and I lost it."

"Trish and Scott, will you join me," Shelia said.

We walked up and stood beside her.

"It is with great honor that I announce the engagement of my favorite niece Trish Malley to my adopted son Scott Tait." Shelia disclosed. "They have set their wedding for the second Saturday in December."

Everybody stood up and clapped. Shelia waited till they sat down.

"I have offered the use of this building to them which they have accepted. It has led to this question. To the ladies of the book club who are in attendance," Shelia said. "I need to know If you are willing to help them plan and organize their wedding and one more event. If you are willing please stand."

About twenty-five ladies from all walks in life stood up.

"We will meet here next Friday to start organizing the two events along with Trish and Scott at one pm. Please, this meeting has to be a member-only meeting and by the time we are through it you will understand why." Shelia stated.

"To my niece Terry, with what I now know if I was you my daughter Fran would still be in the hospital."

"Everyone knows my favorite author is the "Silent One." In his writing, he always has a scene in which one of the main characters is faced to confront the past the present and the future in a unique way. This is what Trish and Scott did to me tonight. It turned a birthday that I was not looking forward to, into an event that has become one of the top ten in my life. I'm now going to have to reread his works because of what I experienced tonight."

Fran, who was in attendance, was stunned by her own mother's comments. It really upset her to see her mother go over and hug Terry.

Eve came over later to Trish and me and thanked us for making the evening event an unforgettable one for his wife and him. He once again made a ridiculous offer in a second attempt to buy my Chevy Impala.

Later the MC announced that over twenty thousand had been raised for the Mrc Foundation by the event and that Mr. and Mrs. Brown was matching it.

----------

Trish and I were having a lazy Sunday morning lying in each other's arms cuddling. Neither one of us was in a rush to do anything. Trish was pleased that we had gotten her aunt's and mothers' relationship back on track.

I asked her what she wanted to do for our honeymoon. Her response made it clear that our honeymoon discussion would have to be postponed until after the New year. After all, Mr. and Mrs. Claus will be busy spreading Christmas cheer.

Pat Roseburg flew in Thursday around suppertime. Trish and I took her out to a classy downtown restaurant then drove back to our home. We set her up in my old bedroom before giving a tour of our house.

With the three master bedrooms upstairs, all furnished with antique furniture, she found the size of the house quite large. The three bedrooms and the dining room downstairs all done with furniture in the same style she asked me if I had restored them all. I admitted I had gradually done it all over time. Only the kitchen and living room could be considered modern.

She asked me how much my place was worth. I told her, and she responded why that's less than half of what my twenty-four hundred square foot condo cost us. Then I said it comes with twenty acres of land.

When I bought this place the first thing, I did was plant the property line in Canadian Hemlock then I planted a second row to divide the house from the rest of the operation. My workshop, storage center, and secondary garage are all hidden from view thanks to the height of the shrubs.

We were all sitting in the living room sharing an evening drink.

"Pat, we decided to accept your offer to have the company cover our wedding cost," Trish said. "The place where we are going to have the meeting is where we will be holding the wedding. If it meets your approval, we will hold the pre-launch party thereto. We have gotten the use of the building at no cost."

"The wedding party itself will the maid of honor, two ladies in waiting, and two flower girls," I explained. "The best man, two ushers, and two ring bearers since it will be a double-ring ceremony."

"Have you set the date and the wedding colors," Pat asked.

"The ladies will be in red, I will be in white," Trish said. "Scott will wear black, and the rest of the men will be dark grey. Our wedding date is the second Saturday in December."

"Tomorrow we will be meeting with the Ladies in Red Book group that will be helping us with both the book launch and our wedding," I said. "All of them I have known for years and trust them."

As the ladies walked in for the meeting at Sheila's they were handed a one-page non-disclosure form to sign on behalf of the publisher. At five after one Pat, Trish, Helen and I walked in. I introduced Pat once it was established that all those present had turned in and signed the form. She disclosed which publishing firm she represented.

"I know that you're here to start to help planning Trish and Scott's wedding, but we would like you to help us prepare the prelaunch party on November 1st for the "Silent Ones" latest book called "Tearstained Buttercup Eyes," Pat said. "Trish and Scott will be passing out a file and we ask you not to open it until all have received it."

Trish and I quickly passed them around.

"Ladies your about to learn one of the secrets that were revealed to Shelia at Shelia's birthday party," Helen said. "Please open your files and learn why we are requiring complete secrecy."

Each of them opened the file that contained a copy of the book cover which revealed my identity. After a few gasps of surprise, Marge said, "I called Bill and booked his restaurant to do the catering and service for both events. He just needs to know how many and the budget to work with."

"Scott is this Bill acceptable to you?" Pat asked.

I replied, "Bill's food is always above and beyond. For me, it will be over the top. Ladies, we realize that once the secret comes out there's going to be a lot of questions. If you are asked just say that friends don't reveal a friend's secrets and leave it at that."

For the next three hours, we were asked questions upon questions. Shelia's house staff came out with snacks and drinks for us all. A lot of the ladies had pictures taken with me with their cells. Before they left, we collected back all the files so no permanent record.

Marge told me that Linda was recovering slowly from a big heartbreak and only time would help her to move on. Pat had explained to Marge what kind of food she wanted for the book release party and gave her a business card so she could be contacted and emailed.

At five we drove her to the airport and saw her off.

------------

We were getting ready to go out on Saturday when Trish got the phone call to come and pick up her diamond necklace. No one had put a claim in on it and nothing had been found in data searches of stolen property. After picking it up went took to our favorite jeweler for evaluation.

Jayson was impressed with it. He said the quality of the work done on it was outstanding. He could tell it had been custom made around the turn of the century in the nineteen hundreds. Based on current market conditions and costs he gave us an appraisal value of twenty-five thousand dollars. Trish decided she would wear it for the first time on our wedding day.

We took it home and put it into the safe in her walk-in closet before going grocery shopping for the house.

When we arrived at Mom and Dads on Sunday Shelia and Eve had been there most of the day. Mom had to show them all the videos they had of us from day one. Uncle Eve milked the situation referring to Trish and Tina as the dimwit and the halfwit all day. Carla and Dan were the last two to show with their twins. By the end of the day, they got them back after having to pry them out of Shelia and Mom's hands.

Terry had taken me aside and asked if I had any special wishes in relation to the wedding. I said no I just wanted to make sure that both sides of the sitting area were used and not reserved for family sides.

I never noticed that Terry had gotten Trish aside and had chatted with her for a few.

---------

Cathy Fendley was sitting at the kitchen table when her house phone rang. After answering the call, she heard a woman explain that she was hunting for some relatives of her future brother in law. She said I need to verify that your husband had been born deaf and had just got his hearing back a few years ago. When she affirmed that what the lady said was true. She asked if she could send her by email two pictures to look at. Cathy reluctantly gave her the email address then went to turn on her computer.

"Look for an email address from TerryC@aol.com." the lady said.

It took her going into junk mail to find it. The first picture was of her and her husband James taken years ago. It had been the first time in their married life that they could afford to have professional photos taken. The second was a current picture of their nephew Albert who had disappeared years ago on his sixteenth birthday.

"How did you find us?" Cathy asked in excitement. "And how is Albert?"

"My name is Terry Helen Carson. Your Albert now goes by the name of James Scott Tait and he is about to become my brother in law in December. He has your picture hanging on the wall in his house. On the back of it was the name of the photographer's information who took it. I Googled it and they led me to you." She explained. "If I am right the Mrc foundation paid to have your husband's hearing restored."

"Yes, we often wondered why we were given that gift," Cathy responded. "That has never been disclosed since we were sworn to secrecy."

"Scott as we call him runs the foundation," Terry explained. "Years ago, he helped my family out. Until just recently I had no clue either. My sister explained to me that he had taken your husband's first name as his, his second name which he uses from his father and his last name from his best friend a farmer to the north of where he grew up."

Cathy was on the verge of crying. Terry sensed it. "I will call you back in an hour after giving you time to adjust."

Cathy responded," What's your cell phone number I will call you after I talk to my husband."

James Fendley was working on his tractor when his wife came running from the house crying. He was wondering what was up because she had a smile on her face a mile wide. She ran into his arms.

"Albert is alive." She sobbed.

James, once he had gotten his wife to calm downed learned what she knew. He had a lot of questions and realized that for the rest of the day his work was done. On Sunday it would be Albert's birthday. He could not help but wonder if he finally celebrated them.

His mind went back to the last day he had seen him. They had just welcomed his own parents back into their fixed home. His brothers and sisters were in the house taking full credit for what was done when he noticed Albert beside his truck. He had gladly given him the ride into town not knowing it would be the last time he saw him.

It had taken a week before his own father came to their farm trying to find out where Albert was. They had talked in sign language about what he knew. Towards the end of the conversation, he handed his father the unopened letter. After reading it he asked in sign if Albert had provided the dining furniture and the kitchen cabinets. He had said yes. It was the first time in his life he had seen his father break down and cry.

His father had gone to see Albert's friend in the nursing home, whom he had never liked in an attempt to locate Scott. The only thing the man would say is that Albert had endured all that was thrown at him and had become a solitary man. He was going to find what he has never had with you and that is a life that has value. He's changed his name and has left his past behind. Rest assured that with the values he holds he will go far in his life.

When his own father was near death in a private moment, he told him what Albert had written. All he had said. 'Best have new kitchen evaluated your most likely underinsured. Room and board paid in full." Your mother and I did that boy wrong all his life and I regret it. Our hate for what his father did was taken out on him. Promise me if you ever see him you will tell him I'm sorry and that I was wrong.'

His mother was still alive. He needed more information before deciding what he should do. What he had learned since getting his hearing given to him had changed a lot of his views. Most of his own brother and sisters he no longer considered as a family because of their piss poor attitude towards most things.

They went back into the farmhouse. He poured them both a strong acholic drink before sitting down beside her. Cathy called the number Terry had gave her and threw the speaker on.

"Hi," Said Terry. "I'm glad you called back."

"Terry, James and I have a lot of questions do you have the time," Cathy said.

Terry started by telling Cathy and James what Scott had done for her when her twin sons were born. She then went on to talk about the Christmas drop he did every December and how it had grown over the years. Cathy and James were surprised to learn that he had gone into and excelled at being in law enforcement.

They learned how his love for wood had brought Terry's sister and him together. They were afraid to love, but by working together on two major projects they had been brought together.

Terry learned for the first time how bad it was for Scott growing up. They had talked for two hours when Terry asked if they would be interested in coming to where they all lived to take part in a surprise birthday party, they were throwing for him. They said yes, Terry said she would email them the details and three videos for them to watch.

On Sunday morning James and Cathy walked through the doors into the Cape Airport to meet Terry in person for the first time.

Trish and I were headed over to her parents. We had spent the last three days working on a lot of minor things on some of the things we would be gifting out during the Christmas season. She was beginning to appreciate the organization and space needed to pull off what we would be doing. For some reason, we had to be there early. I knew it was to celebrate my birthday and I really didn't want it to be made out to be a big deal and I had told her that.

It was a warm day. Anyone living in the State knew if you didn't like the weather this time of year just wait a day or two and it might be completely different. After two days of rainy periods, the sun was out the temperature way up. No winter coat today so I was just wearing a t-shirt with my gun shirt and blue jeans.

Terri had gotten so sick of seeing its frayed edges that she had sat down and used her fancy sewing machine to clean it up. Embroidered into its shirt styled pocket was designed by BBBB. She had covered over the buttonhole section with an extra layer of blue jean material and stitched in, then matched it on the other side.

Mom and Dad heard us pulling in. They were outside sitting in the patio having a beer when we walked around the corner. Trish said she was going to join them and asked me to go grab us each a beer.

I was bent over at the fridge reaching for them when I heard James's voice. "The first drink I'm going to have with you Albert better be stronger than a beer."

I straighten up turned around and saw both Cathy and James standing there at the entrance to the dining room. All three of us lost it. It had been 18 years to the day.

"How?" I asked.