The Return

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Perfect Mike wasn't perfect. He was human just like me.

"Hey! Do you cook?" he asked excitedly.

"Umm... I have before? I don't normally? We had a cook."

"Oh, right. Yeah, I guess you probably aren't great at it."

"You know of a chef job?" I asked with a small smile.

"Oh, no. I just thought maybe if you knew how to cook you could cook something. Save me from a diner dinner tomorrow."

I felt myself blushing again. He was planning on me staying through tomorrow evening? Probably tomorrow night too?

"This is my place," he told me with a tight smile. "No making fun or turning your nose up at the mess."

I managed a smile as I started to follow him into the house. He took my bag quickly and led me to the door, then pushed it open for me.

The dog that lifted it's head from the single chair in the small living room wagged and got down to sniff me.

"She's good people, Hank," Mike told the dog, setting my bag next to the bathroom door.

It was a small house, almost tiny even. The bathroom looked claustrophobic and the bedroom was big enough for a full sized bed and a chest of drawers, that was it. I could see both from where I was standing. The kitchenette was part of the living room and the single chair was all there was room for. There was a single stool at a round of counter that stuck out and there were dishes piled up in the sink.

The house had a definite funk to it as well. Like dog and... old food. Maybe beer as well, I couldn't really tell.

"I'll grab you a pillow and blanket," he told me, looking around with a small shrug. "It's my extra pillow so it's not like, you know, fresh out of the linen closet or anything and the blanket is the one that lays across the foot of my bed for when it gets cold. Umm. You need a drink or anything?"

"No thanks, I'm fine."

"Cool. Uhh, there's a clean towel on the back of the door in the bathroom, I only have the two of them. The clean one is the red one. Umm... Hank will wait for you to lay down and get comfy before he climbs on you... umm, shit. He's as big as you, isn't he? You think he'll be too heavy?"

"He'll be fine," I reassured Mike.

"I should probably sleep out here and let you have the bed. If you don't care that I can't remember when I washed the sheets last, you can sleep in there?"

I giggled then, I couldn't help it. "You are so incredibly... male," I laughed, looking around.

"I said no making fun!" he yelled in mock offense.

"I'm not making fun, it's just... sort of refreshing. You aren't... perfect."

"Not by a long shot," he snorted. "Did you really think I was?"

"For decades," I answered, looking around. I realized what I had said out loud and turned around completely to hide my embarrassment and went and looked at a picture on the wall. "That's you and your dad. I remember him. He used to come over and have drinks with dad in the garage while dad worked on the Scout. Before he sold it."

"They were friends in highschool. Sorry, by the way. About your parents. I liked them."

"Thanks. Sorry about your dad."

He shrugged. "The job isn't meant for everyone... A lot of people saw it coming. Even I saw it coming at the end. It didn't surprise anyone. So, you thought I was perfect? Back in school? You noticed me like that?"

"Every girl noticed you like that, you were one of the Lakeview Gods," I answered, trying to play it off.

"Not me. Gerrid, yeah. Even Brad and Beau, but girls never came at me like they did them."

"You were taken."

"That never stopped them from going at the others."

"Alicia was terrifying, no girl would dare cross her."

He laughed. "She was full of complete sass, wasn't she? Especially back then. I think you're wrong though. I never had the same flair the others had, the same charisma. I was too quiet, not as outgoing. Too subdued and less of a challenge. There may have been one or two girls with crushes, but I think they were certain types of girls. Alicia who was super outspoken and bossy and went after what she wanted. Wanted someone quiet that she could just boss around in public. Or a girl who was quiet like me and appreciated a more subtle guy. And one who smiled every time she was around me."

I peeked at him and he was grinning a crooked grin with his sparkling brown eyes.

Yeah. He had just figured it out.

I looked back at the picture, blushing. "So it would be alright with you if I had a shower?" I asked him.

"Sure, yeah, go for it. Water pressure is shit, so don't get super hopeful. It does get hot though."

"Do you have real soap and shampoo?" I asked hopefully.

"Yeah... I mean, if you don't mind that it's all in one. It's just regular body wash and I use it on my hair too."

I giggled again. "So incredibly male."

"Who do I have to impress?" he laughed.

"I'm going to shower," I smiled, closing myself into the tiny bathroom.

The stand up shower was small enough that I wondered how he managed it at twice my size. He was very right on the water pressure, it was a trickle that took forever to rinse off the soap.

When I came out, he was on the chair in a t-shirt and sleep pants, the dog curled up glumly on the scrap of carpet.

He turned and grinned at me. "Ready for bed or did you want to watch TV or something?"

"TV?" I asked, looking around.

"It's in the bedroom on the wall," he laughed. "There was no room in here, no wall space or place to put it. I sit up on the wall or lay down to watch it when I watch it."

"Where do you even find a house this small?" I laughed, looking around.

"It used to be a shed, it was turned into a mother-in-law house, then the main house burned and this was all that was left on the property. I planned on building, but... this suits me just fine. What do I need more space for? I'm hardly ever here, I have all I need."

"How do you bring girls here?" I asked, still laughing.

"I don't! Ortega saw it once when I sent her to pick up a clean uniform for me, that's it. She retired a couple years back. So, TV or bed?"

"I guess it's both," I smiled, going into the little bedroom and climbing onto the bed to the far side. I grabbed the extra blanket and the pillow that was along the wall and curled up, sitting against the wall.

"Alright. I'm watching The Boys right now and I'm on like episode six," he told me, falling onto the bed next to me and half laying against the wall. "You need something to drink, there's beer in the fridge or tap water. Might have to clean a glass for it if you want water."

"I'm fine," I giggled again.

"Keep laughing," he grinned, turning the show on.

He lay there quietly, watching the show and I had a hard time following what was going on. "So the superheroes are the bad guys?" I asked him.

"Yeah, sort of. Some more than others. Shh."

I smiled and laid back, trying to pick up what was happening. When the next episode came on, I thought I had been following along, but then I guessed I hadn't.

"Who is that?"

"Shh," he teased with a smirk.

"As hosts go, You're a bit lacking," I told him, still giggling.

"I'm not hosting, I'm protecting. I'll make sure no one gets close, otherwise you're on your own," he laughed.

"That works for me," I giggled again, a little relieved that he wasn't overly solicitous and creepy like Gerrid was. I watched the show, but stared though it as I thought about what I was going to do. What was going to happen.

I jerked awake to darkness, complete and total. I started to panic, sitting up and feeling around me, meaning to go and find a light.

My hand and knee landed on a body and there was a grunt as the body jerked and hunched.

"The fuck Ava?" Mike grumbled. "Jesus, you tryin' to kill me? Fuck! What the fuck? Holy SHIT that fucking hurts!"

"I... I thought you were sleeping in there! It's dark! I just wanted some light! I was afraid!"

"So you jumped on me and pile drove your knee into my junk? Holy fuck!"

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry!"

"Shit, I thought you were tiny but I think you weigh about 800 pounds!"

I relaxed slightly, his joking helping me calm down. "Sorry," I told him again.

"Hank! Get her!" he called loudly.

There was a canine groan and then the whuff as the dog shifted in the old chair out in the living room. I giggled. "He's vicious."

"Just wait till someone comes to that door that isn't supposed to," Mike growled, still rocking. "Fuck! I think I may puke."

I laughed outright then, knowing he was just messing with me. "I didn't feel anything at all," I told him, laying back down.

"Because your knee killed it! Fuck! You ok? You need me to turn on the bathroom light?"

"No, I just... forgot where I was for a second and I couldn't see anything. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't alone, I guess."

"Maybe ask next time?"

I smiled, but I was still stressed as I curled up facing the wall. Did Gerrid know I was here? Would he get out and come here to find me? Was Hank really a guard dog or just old and lazy like he looked?

I fell back to sleep thinking about it and that made me dream dark dreams.

"Ava," Mike mumbled, poking my arm, making me jump awake with a cry of fear. "You're whimpering and twitching in your sleep. You need a sleeping pill or something?"

"No... no, I'm fine. Bad dreams. Sorry."

"S'fine. Just didn't want you to keep dreamin' if it was bad," he mumbled, then went back to sleep.

I slipped out of the bed and went into the living room. I turned on the light in the bathroom, then shut the door most of the way before climbing into the chair with the dog. He groaned at me and stared at me a minute, then stood and let me in, falling down half on top of me after I curled up.

It was the most uncomfortable chair in the entire world. The padding on the seat was worn down, I could feel springs in the seat and the wooden boards in the back of it. The dog stank to high heaven and he was so heavy laying on my hip. I tried to move, but the dog just made a whining noise and didn't move.

I was trapped.

A noise came from the bedroom and Mike came out. He blinked at me and went to the bathroom, then came out leaving the light on. Grabbing me under the arms, he pulled me out from under the dog and held me out in front of him as she went back to bed. I felt like Simba being held up by the monkey in lion king as he raised me up to stand on the bed.

"Lay down," he grumped. "I don't care if you make noise or move, I just woke you up to stop the dream. Don't sweat it. Go to sleep."

I curled up again, but couldn't sleep. What time was it? There were no windows in this place. Was it morning? Close to morning? Did Gerrids lawyer have him out of jail yet? Was he looking for me?

"Ava, try to sleep," Mike mumbled.

"What time is it?" I asked in a whisper.

"Two something. Middle of the fucking night, go to sleep."

"What if he's out?"

"It didn't go over the scanner, he's in holding till morning when we process him. He isn't out and he won't be out till tomorrow. Go to sleep."

"Are you sure? What if someone called the lawyer again? What if it's Joe?"

"Joe fucking hates Gerrid. Sleep."

"What if..."

"No what ifs," Mike grumped, moving his arm and letting his hand fall over my mouth. "Sleep."

I laid there a moment, his hand covering my mouth, then turned my head slowly until his hand slipped off to my neck. I thought he would pull his hand away, but he was already asleep again, his hand on my neck.

Surprisingly, the human contact was a comfort. Enough of a comfort that I fell back to sleep and didn't have another nightmare.

"Let go, Ava."

I opened my eyes sleepily and blinked at the white fabric. I was curled up on my side curled around something and clutching it, my face an inch from a white fabric wall.

"Ava, let go," Mike whispered, tugging on his hand.

It was his arm I was clutching for dear life and his chest and white t-shirt in front of me. I let go, my hands springing away from his as I gasped. "I'm sorry!"

"Don't sweat it, I didn't care, I just need it to get out of bed" he laughed, getting up. "Go back to sleep."

"What are you doing?" I asked, half fearful.

"Taking a piss!" he called, closing the door to the bathroom.

I let out a sigh and turned over, still tired.

When I jerked awake again, there was a soft light from the bathroom, but it was still so dark. I turned, but the other side of the bed was empty. I sat up, looking in the living room, but it was empty too. I listened, but there was only silence.

Jumping up, I turned on all the lights and paced, starting to panic.

Finally, I saw a torn up cereal box and writing on the cardboard side.

'At work, will come by soon. Don't open or unlock door, I have a key. I will knock twice before I come in.'

That was all.

I paced again, looking at the dog who was watching me like I was stressing him out.

I let out a sigh, then went and did all of the piled up dishes. I made the bed, then cleaned the bathroom and he still wasn't home.

Where the hell was he? What time was it?

I pulled the dog into the shower and gave him a bath and he just stared at me like I was crazy as he sat there and let me lather him up in human soap.

At least he smelled better.

Finally, I curled up on the bed and turned on the TV.

Hank came in and got up in the bed, laying his head in my lap.

I petted him and scratched his ears as I picked a movie and was just curling up to watch it when there were two knocks on the door. I watched from my spot on the bed as the door opened and Mike came in with a bag. He looked around, shocked, then looked at me.

"Hank! What the hell, man! You know you aren't supposed to be in my bed!"

Hank blinked at Mike, but didn't move his head off of my lap.

"I brought you donuts," Mike scowled, tossing the bag on my lap as he grabbed Hank's collar and pulled him off the bed. "Did you tell him to come up here?"

"No, he just did it," I shrugged.

"Did you... give him a bath?!?"

"Yeah, he was stinky."

"He's a dog, he's supposed to stink! You made him all girly and now he thinks he can get in my bed!"

I giggled and opened the bag.

"I came home because he's out. I took the rest of the day off, but I'm on call. I have some errands to run and I know you said you did too. Get dressed and I will take you for yours first."

I jumped up, hurrying, glad to be out of the tiny house with no windows or way to tell what time it was.

Mike came into the library with me and stood close by as I got online.

"That's Hannah Montgomery, I know where she lives. Tell her Mike Hanover will bring you by. She's at home, she's a stay at home wife. That the shopping bag in your back seat?" he asked, taking me back out to his car.

"Yeah?"

"We'll go by and grab it, but I want you to leave your car at the station. There's an extra room there with a cot, I want him to think you're staying there. I kept Neirmier on the door the whole time he was out front and he kept yelling for you like he thought you were there. We all acted like you were. He wouldn't think I would have you at my place, I never have anyone at my place. Stay low, I'll grab the bag."

I hunched down fearfully, even after he got back, not wanting to be seen in the car by anyone. Mike didn't say anything about me sitting up, so I stayed down.

"I'll take these to the door, keep the doors locked. I have the keys."

I only nodded as I moved down to the floorboard and laid my head on the seat.

"Here," he thrust a wad of money at me as he got back in. "Need anything else?"

"Not until I am back in my house," I told him.

"Alright, we're going on my errands then. I'll let you know when to get up and get your seatbelt on. I'm going to drive across town first and go up 23rd, see if his truck is near your place. Just lay low until I tell you it's safe, ok?"

"Alright," I agreed. "Do you know if there's any press releases yet from Rick?"

"Haven't looked. Fuck him. Shit. His truck is parked in your drive. Is that...? It's a fridge in the back of his truck. Fucking hell. I took your keys off his ring, but he must've had more. I'm calling Joe, he'll be on it. You can sit up, he's there and busy. He isn't trying to find you right now. Buckle up."

I sat in the passenger seat staying quiet as I thought about Gerrid in my house. What was he doing? The rest of my things were there...

"Ava?" Mike called, snapping me out of my own thoughts. "I asked what your extras were back in school?"

"Extras?" I asked, confused.

"Extracurriculars."

"Oh... I didn't have any."

"None?!?"

"No. I wasn't... super involved with school. My mom was super involved with the church and I had to go with her a lot. I was involved in the youth group... not because I liked it, because I was already there and they needed someone to run it. My best friend was from church too, she was home schooled."

"You used to come to the games," he stated.

"Yeah... just the football games."

"Any special reason?" he asked lightly.

"To watch the games?"

"Right," he laughed. "What do you know about football?"

"Not a lot... nothing really."

"What position did Gerrid play?"

"He threw the ball."

"What position did Brad play?"

"He caught the ball."

"What position did Max play?"

"He bent over and gave Gerrid the ball from between his legs."

"What position did I play?"

"Halfback. You always ran the ball, though sometimes you caught short passes. A few times you even threw the ball."

He gave me a smirk. "So the only position you know anything about or the name of, is my position?" he asked. "But you were there to watch the games. Nothing else, just the whole game. How often did I score?"

"Not very often, you mostly ran the ball down the field. You did have a game where you scored three touchdowns though. It was the end of the season senior year, second to last game. We still lost though, by three points. I don't think you really cared though, you didn't stop smiling for days."

He grinned. "It was a little gratifying to finally get some endzone play. I was the brains, good enough for getting the ball down there, but never for scoring. I was sure coach had it out for me, always calling me Einstein and Darwin. I wasn't... as macho as the other guys were. I wouldn't use steroids or any of the other things coach had some of the guys using. My dad would have fucking killed me if I had. Proving I could do it without all that bullshit... I felt like I got mine back. So it was me you were watching. Specifically."

"I may have noticed that you were more... to my taste than your friends were. And you were... very attractive. And... incredibly smart."

"So were you. You were in the same classes as me, remember?"

"Not like you, though."

"Remember our Junior year when I had fallen asleep right after practice and didn't have my homework done? You handed me yours to copy down real quick before class started, saying you were only doing it because you knew I knew the answers already, I had just forgotten to do it."

"I remember," I told him, blushing. "You told me you could kiss me."

"Yeah. I very specifically remember the look on your face when I said that. That sort of panicked, hopeful look, then the daydreamy expression you had the rest of the class."

"I did not!" I laughed.

"You did! You totally did!"

"I didn't! I know I didn't, because I felt absolutely sick! I knew I had looked at you weird because you gave me a confused look and arched your eyebrow like you do and I knew I had looked like a complete idiot, fawning over you and you had totally judged me for it!"

"I didn't judge you! I didn't! I remember thinking 'holy hell, hot little Ava might have a thing for me'."

"Bullshit!"

"Hand to god. You were so adorable, so small and quiet and shy and sweet. I used to wonder what it would be like to hold a girl your size. You had that little pixie cut and you looked like a little pixie. I may have had other thoughts too, but I'm sure you can guess what a normal teenage boy thought about in highschool. I'll leave it at that. Seriously, though. It had thrilled me, I didn't judge you at all."

1...34567...14