The Rise of the Spell Caster

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Why is that funny? I assume the king or Sylvan were making inquiries out here about Eric."

"The king and Sylvan? No, they have never asked about him."

Grace growled. "What?"

"They have never asked about him out here. Should they have?"

"Yes, he died not far from here. Daniel found his corpse."

Mark looked surprised. "Oh, dear, I didn't know. I'm sorry."

Jennifer stirred. "He speaks the truth."

"Thank you, Jennifer," murmured Grace.

Mark looked startled at Jennifer. "I had forgotten about paladins and their ability to sense truth. But the reason I said it was funny was that Quinten Cuirass himself came through here shortly after Eric was last here. He asked my staff about him. They told him of course. We were honoured Quinten came through here. He was discrete though."

Grace chuckled and sat back. "There you have it."

Mark looked confused. "Have what? What am I missing?"

Jason answered while Grace chugged the last of her wine and reached for the bottle. "You likely haven't heard the latest news from Whitehaven. Quinten is no longer a paladin. If he ever was one. He was a tool of Loki the Trickster. All this time. He had a glamour on him. He was a bad, bad man in the end."

Mark looked beyond shocked. "Quinten Cuirass? A tool of Loki? Are you shitting me?"

Everyone shook their heads. Jennifer answered. "No, I'm afraid not. And he is free, somewhere in the Realm. Be careful next time you see him. He is not to be trusted."

"Especially now that we have more or less confirmed he killed Eric," said Grace. She looked at Mark. "You should ask yourself why the king or Sylvan haven't bothered to tell you about Quinten."

Mark looked up at her and then, after a moment, nodded once, slowly.

Brian shook his head. "We still don't know Quinten was involved in his death, but we'll ask him next time we see him. We know Quinten was working for the king and the king was looking for the egg. He might have simply had Eric followed."

Grace snorted. "Too much coincidence and I hate coincidence. It always leads to more coincidence and then everything goes to shit."

Mark stood and refilled drinks and sat back down.

"Sylvan told me one interesting thing," he said, and he looked at Daniel and the girls. "He said a circle was formed with a bound spell caster and that it was blessed by Syn and Glenda." He looked right at Daniel. "Is this true? I can only assume he was talking about you, Amy, Jasmine, and Amber."

Daniel looked at Grace first and when she nodded, he looked back at Mark. "It's true."

Mark nodded his head slowly. "Normally I would be freaking the fuck out and running as fast as I can, but you're a good man, Daniel. I don't sense anything evil from you all. In fact, I quite like you, Daniel, and your ladies. And here we have a paladin and cleric of Syn sitting right beside you. Either they're guards escorting you to your execution, or they trust you and are willing companions. I'll go with the latter."

"Good choice," chuckled Daniel. "We are the first good circle of witches with a bound spell caster."

"And you aren't really pissed off knowing you're bound?"

"No."

"Can you please elaborate?"

Daniel smiled. "Amy and Jasmine were already in love with me before I was bound. Amber happened a little later, but it was the same result." Daniel looked at Amber and met her fake glare. He sent a little love down the bond, and she looked away blushing.

Mark saw that and looked around at the others. "I see. And how does that matter, not that I'm minimising it."

Jennifer answered. "It formed a special circle. Syn saw to it that it occurred. If the spell caster is already loved and is loved in return, the bond is willing one. Strengthened even. It takes special witches to make that happen. Witches that haven't been corrupted by power. Amy, Jasmine, and Amber were hedge witches. Excited by the little power they held but innocent. Daniel was someone they could all love because of his nature. They clicked. Syn was pleased when it happened. Their final bonding resulted in a very impressive orgy. It lasted throughout the night and into the morning."

"Orgy? Really?"

Bitty grinned. "Oh yes. It was wonderful."

Mark focused on Bitty. "And you, you don't seem like any of the gnomes I have ever met. You seem... free?"

"Daniel released all the gnomes from slavery. He broke the curse."

Daniel shook his head. What was happening? Why would Bitty reveal that so easily? He turned on his magic sight and focused. Magic threads streamed out of Mark and touched everyone in the room. Startled, he pushed the vision to his circle and wasn't surprised when Grace and Bitty sat up alarmed. They were sharing more and more with the witches' circle for some reason.

Before he could blink, Mark was pressed into the couch with a dagger held by Grace at his throat. His beer had flown and dripped from his face.

"What magics have you done on us?"

Mark's eyes bulged out of his head. "It is nothing! A parlour trick! Nothing more!"

"Explain or you'll watch your blood fountain across the room," growled Grace.

"It is a simple cantrip! I can make people speak the truth! It was why I was placed here by the KBI! I'm sorry!"

Jennifer touched Grace's shoulder. "He speaks truth."

Grace didn't relent. "I have never heard of a cantrip such as this held by humans. It is certainly not a simple cantrip as you say. Where did you learn this?"

"Sylvan! He taught me! It was difficult to learn, I was one of the few who could master it! But now it is so simple to use. I meant no harm! I am under orders from the King to question all adventurers who come through here. Sylvan was particularly interested in you lot." Mark had his hands up and positioned his head and neck as far away from Grace as he could. Her dagger pressed harder. "How did you know I was using it? Sylvan assured me no one would ever know!"

Grace pulled back her blade and Mark lifted a hand to his throat and checked it for blood. "Doesn't matter how we knew. We know now. Gods be damned! This is not good. What is the KBI doing?" She looked hard at Mark. "What did you report to Sylvan about Eric?"

"Only what I just told you. I don't know anything more. I'm the eyes and ears out here. Nothing more."

Jennifer nodded. "More truth."

Grace sheathed her blade and sat back down. "Listen here, Mark Meadows, I do not trust Sylvan Castigon, and neither should you. Be careful what you report back and as for us, you will merely report we passed through, ate a meal, and left the next day. I need your oath on this."

Mark gulped. "An oath? That may be difficult, I am already under oath to the KBI to report everything I see and hear."

"And you will. This oath is to say only what is truth. We came through, you spoke to us, we left in the morning. That is all. That shouldn't interfere with your other oath."

"Unless I am pressed for more details. You put my soul in jeopardy."

"Yes, well, you used a cantrip on us to reveal truths we did not wish to speak of. I couldn't care less what you worry about. What Bitty just revealed is for no one's ears."

"There is no other way?"

"No. Unless you wish to meet your maker on the other side of the veil? I am Night fae; I can arrange it if you like."

Mark still hesitated.

Jennifer sat beside him and took one of his hands, wet from his beer. "There is something bad happening in the Realm. You are caught up in it at this very moment. Syn asks me to ask you to take the oath Grace wants. What we do out here is imperative to the security of the Realm. That is your true oath, is it not? To protect the Realm against threats?"

Mark nodded and then looked at Grace. "Fine. I'll speak your oath."

Grace gave him the oath, and he repeated it and then winced when he felt it descend on his soul.

"Thank you. I think our conversation is over, don't you?"

Mark nodded and looked up at them all. He looked ashamed. "I'm sorry, but it was my duty."

Grace nodded. "We understand. Believe me, we understand. What's done is done. Good night, Mark Meadows. Thank you for the wonderful meal. It was delightful."

"My pleasure," he replied. "Let me see you out."

They stood outside the restaurant, ignoring the stares from the patrons inside looking out the windows at them. They started to walk to the inn when a man stepped forward from between the restaurant and the shop next door.

"Excuse me?" said the man, and Grace wheeled toward him, her dagger drawn.

"Aie!" cried out the man and held up his hands and stepped back.

Daniel moved forward and pushed down Grace's arm. "It's okay. I think I know this man. Kevin Kelly, right? Merchant?"

"Y-yes," stammered the man, looking only at Grace's blade.

"I remember you, what do you want?" asked Daniel.

"I saw you come into town. I wanted to speak to you. Privately, if I may?"

"What about?"

"I would rather speak in private..."

"Tell me what it is about first, then I'll decide if I wish to speak to you alone."

"It's about your parents. About what happened to them."

Daniel looked at Grace and she sheathed her dagger. She stepped toward the man. "You'll speak to Daniel and me. Everyone else, head back to the inn. We'll join you shortly."

When no one moved, Grace barked. "Now!"

Mark Meadows was surprised when Grace and Daniel came back inside with Kevin Kelly. He gave them a private room and left them alone. Kevin was sweating and kept glancing at Grace.

"Really, I would rather speak alone. This doesn't involve the Night fae."

"She's a member of my adventuring party. If it involves me, it involves her. Speak."

"Ah, yes. Okay. Fine. Ah, do you remember meeting me before? Here is in this room?"

"Yes. Of course."

"You remember you mentioned your parents, and I asked you for your full name?"

"Yes."

"It startled me. I knew your parents. I was part of the team sent by the king to help establish your parent's presence out by the Wilds. I was in charge of logistics. Carts, horses, supplies, all of that. I helped with the building of the home not far from the Wilds in that strange little hovel of a town built by, well, built by the not-so-nice people of the Realm. They built an outpost of sorts to harbour themselves. Thieves, criminals, murderers. You get the idea.

"It was a strange place for your parents to go, especially with a child. They had a story about building a new apothecary out there. But I never believed it. I asked myself, why would the king be so interested in that? But the money was good. Very, very good. Too good in hindsight."

Daniel couldn't believe his ears. Here was a man who was involved in his parents heading out to the Wilds. "Go on," he urged, eager to hear the details.

Kevin pulled out a handkerchief and wiped at his brow. "Sorry, this is difficult. I've never told a soul. And seeing you that evening and knowing who you were, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. I had to speak to you tonight, if for anything to help with my guilt and shame."

"Yes, yes," said Grace. "Guilt and shame. Finish your story."

"I was there. The night the orcs attacked. It was horrible. So horrible." Kevin paused and Daniel could see his hands were shaking. "Before that happened, your parents went into the Wilds with a party of adventurers. They were gone for two weeks. You were put in the care of a woman who was like a nanny to you, really."

Daniel had a flash of memory of an elderly kind woman, with grey hair and a children's song floated through his head for a moment. He nodded.

"She loved you and sang to you all the time. Silly songs about talking animals. I still remember most of them. Your parents came back alone. I could see they were hurt and shaken but I was merely the quartermaster for the expedition. No one confided in me. All I knew was that we were to prepare to evacuate immediately. You wouldn't stop crying because your mother wouldn't spend time with you. But she was badly hurt, Daniel. Your father started to make a healing potion, but he was so flustered he ruined the batch. He was so angry!

"You cried and cried and kept trying to get something from your father. You wore him down and he handed it to you. I was there. I saw it. It was a black stone shaped like an egg. So completely black! It shone but with a red hue. Your father placed it in your hands, and you immediately stopped crying. You sat on the dirt floor holding the egg smiling. You even spoke to it. A strange conversation.

"That's when the orcs attacked. They came in a large wave and overwhelmed the outpost defences in a matter of moments. They were so angry! Driven! They descended on the little home your parents had. But just before they broke through, I swear I saw something enter the room and crouch behind you. A shadowy figure. It reached past you and snatched the egg from you. You started crying immediately. A long heart-breaking wail! I can still hear it. The figure hesitated and gave you back the egg and then scooped you up and fled with you both.

"The orcs came through the door then. I won't tell you what happened to your parents or the nanny. They died. I should have, too. I woke much later, covered in blood with a nasty scalp wound. They must've thought me dead. But I survived and over several days I fled east away from the Wilds. I came back to Acron and Mark took care of me until I was well. He reported what happened to the king. I took my money and built my new business as a merchant.

"I'm so sorry, Daniel. I thought you dead. When you walked into the restaurant and told me your name, I almost fainted in shock. I had to rush out and gather my wits. But now, I'm glad I got to tell you what happened. I'm so sorry!"

Kevin bowed his head, and his shoulders shook. He wiped at his eyes and pulled out his handkerchief and wiped at his nose.

Daniel sat back and stared at Grace, who stared back.

Grace tapped the man's knee. "What did this figure look like? The man who took Daniel and the egg?"

"You won't believe me. It was as if I couldn't see him. He was nothing but shadow, impossible to focus on."

"Did he say anything?"

"No, not a word."

Grace looked at Daniel. "Does any of this sound familiar?"

Daniel shook his head. "I have no memory of that. I remember orcs attacking. The mention of the nanny gave me a quick flash of memory. I think I remember her. The singing at least, and her grey hair. But nothing else. My memories start with me walking into Acron and starting a life here. It's strange I remember nothing else, isn't it?"

"It is," declared Grace. "We'll figure that out later." She turned to Kevin. "Thank you for sharing this. It has been helpful."

"I'm glad. I'm sorry I didn't say anything that night you were in the restaurant. It was such a shock. I had thought you dead all these years!"

Grace rose and then sat down again. "Wait, you said the egg was black. Completely black. Are you sure?"

"Oh yes! I will never forget it! It was so beautiful, like it was made of glass. If it weren't for the red glow, I swear I couldn't really look at it. It was the purest of black."

"All over? No white? It didn't gradually shift from black to white?"

"Oh no, I would remember that. Is that important?"

"Yes."

"Grace? What is it?" asked Daniel, watching her.

"I'll explain later. Kevin, thank you. You shouldn't let this bother you anymore. Daniel is fine and under my protection. Do you have a wife?"

"Yes, and two children. A boy and a girl."

Grace pressed two platinum pieces into his palm. "Excellent. Go home. Buy them gifts. Tell no one else about this, okay? It's not safe for others to know. It's not safe for you to tell others. Okay?"

He nodded and opened his hand and stared at the wealth Grace had given him. "This is too..."

"It's not enough, actually. Take care. Stay quiet. Come, Daniel."

She rose and Daniel followed her out into the night.

Back in the inn, Grace detailed to the others what Kevin had told Daniel and her.

"And you believe him?" asked Jason.

"Yes, I do," answered Grace. "It lines up with a lot of things. We know the king sent the Davies into the Wilds to recover the egg. Why they were chosen is still a mystery. Something to do with their craft, I suppose. What we know now is that they were successful, but they were followed out. The adventurers with them likely died in the effort.

"No sooner do they get out of the Wilds then orcs from the Wilds attack to recover the egg. I have no doubt of that. Then this dark figure appears and tries to take the egg from Daniel here who was, I imagine, in the middle of a conversation with the female phoenix. He starts crying, and this figure decides to take Daniel with the egg to keep him quiet. After that, who knows, but Daniel appears here in Acron seven years ago with no memories of what happened to him. Then years later Eric shows up dead with the egg. Notice anything strange there about the egg, Daniel?"

"The colour he described was wrong. The egg I took from Eric was black and white, not just black all over. Black at the base and white at the top."

Amy and Jasmine nodded their heads. "Yup, that's what we saw in Daniel's farmhouse. Black and white."

"Isn't that interesting," declared Grace, beaming at them all.

"How so?" asked Brian.

"The egg Daniel's parents took from the Wilds was black all over. I am fairly certain it imprinted on Daniel, and we know Daniel seems to have powers from the female phoenix. But later when he recovered the egg from Eric it was black and white."

"So not the same egg?" asked Brian.

"Oh no, it's the same egg. We know the black and white egg contains the female phoenix. It must be the same."

"So, what happened to change the colour?"

"Exactly! What happened?"

Brian looked around at the others and saw the same blank stares, except for Bitty, who looked thoughtful. "Bitty?"

"It was changed somehow," she answered. "Somewhere. Like at Yanwey."

"Exactly!" declared a triumphant Grace. "Whatever happened at Yanwey changed the egg. We know a couple of things. One, the male phoenix is missing. Two, the female egg didn't react to Daniel at all. But it should have! It should have recognised him and the power inside him, but it didn't! So, what's going on inside that damn fucking egg?"

"Do you know?" asked Brian.

"Fuck no, I don't. But we're getting closer to the truth!"

Grace looked triumphant at the others, but they just looked back uncertain.

Chapter Three

THE NEXT MORNING, Daniel and his circle rose with the dawn and untangled themselves from the two beds they had pushed together. Using magic, they heated water and washed each other, taking their time and expressing their love. It was a common routine now, but the first time they had been able to do this in the comfort of an inn, instead of in a shallow creek in the woods.

They ate greasy eggs and bacon with toast in the inn's common room. The coffee was cheap and watery, but none of them minded. Their thoughts were on something else. They had one more thing to do in Acron.

"Are you sure about this, Amber?" asked Amy, with Jasmine looking equally concerned beside her.

"Yes! Of course, I am! I need to talk to her. Especially now. Honestly, it's all I've been thinking about all the way here. I couldn't care less about some damn egg. But my mother? And what happened to her? That I need to know."

"I'm going with you, Amber," declared Daniel, and shoved a piece of bacon into his mouth.

Amber shook her head. "No, you are not. I won't have our spell caster within a hundred miles of my mother. She's a witch, remember?"

"Well, too bad, Amber," said Amy. "Daniel is part of our circle. He goes where we go. Right Jasmine?"

"Abso-fucking-lutely. Come on. Let's get this over with. Grace wants to leave for the Wilds and is graciously allowing us this time."

1...34567...23