The Rise of the Spell Caster

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Estcher
Estcher
1,732 Followers

Daniel nodded and emotions rose within him, and he felt his eyes sting a little. Amber looked back at him and frowned and mouthed the word 'baby' at him.

He grinned at her and sent his love down the bond. Amber looked startled and then angry. She spurred her horse to catch up to Amy, who was trying to urge them to go faster by setting an example the rest could follow.

"She's not fooling anyone," said Jasmine., and Daniel knew she meant Amber. "We can all sense one another and our thoughts and desires. She loves you, too. She's just not coming to terms with loving a man so easily. Hard to give up your hard-core lesbian tendencies, despite it all having been some shitty curse placed on her."

"Well, Glenda had a part in that," added Jennifer, who hadn't missed a thing. "She wiped her memories of what that spell caster did to her mother."

"She said it was a mercy," said Jasmine.

"Perhaps," replied Jennifer. "I think Amber wants to ask her mother more about what happened that day. She's as eager as Amy to get to Acron. You all have unfinished business here. I can feel the justice of it."

"Justice? Syn sending you feelings?"

Jennifer looked surprised. "What? No. This isn't a calling, but I've been on so many as her paladin, you get a sense of it, you know? This feels no different. I think our party is about to shake up Acron. It's been central to a lot of happenings."

Jasmine looked worried. "Is this a good thing or a bad thing?"

Jennifer smiled at Jasmine. "A good thing. Any time you remove a splinter it is a good thing. It allows healing to occur."

Jasmine looked at Daniel and then nodded.

They heard Amy whoop up ahead. She was a good quarter mile ahead of them now, with Jason near her trying to keep up on his poor horse who was dead tired of carrying his weight. Bitty looked like she was clinging hard to Amy as she bounced in the saddle.

Daniel spied Acron as they rounded the bend. His first thought was about just how small it appeared. Acron used to the centre of his world, and now, after Whitehaven, it was nothing more than a few small buildings clustered together with a single dirt road passing through it.

Amy was lowering Bitty to the ground and climbing off her horse while yelling into her father's trading post store. Daniel couldn't hear anything, but he watched Amy's mother and then her father come running out of the building and wrap Amy up in their arms. He smiled and then laughed as her parents noticed Bitty and pulled Amy away with a jerk.

Amy was gesturing and then knelt and put an arm around Bitty's shoulders. Jason arrived then and Amy's parents looked around for the first time and saw just how many people were with Amy. An adventuring party made up of nine people was unheard of. Four or five were the more normal numbers.

Daniel watched the reunion with no small amount of trepidation. He knew Amy's history with her parents. She had shared truly horrible things about her parents. Daniel no longer regarded them the same way. He was worried for Amy. This reunion would probably not go well for her.

By the time they all stopped and got off their horses, Amy's mother was crying along with Amy. Daniel could feel Amy's happiness through the bond, and it was infectious. Jasmine and Amber couldn't keep smiles off their faces. Amy's mother embraced all three girls and soon they were talking a mile a minute, answering questions about Whitehaven and shopping of all things. Amy's father noticed Daniel and came over and shook his hand.

"Back safe and sound, I see," said Bill Albright.

"Yes, sir," replied Daniel evenly, trying hard not to see the man who had whored out his daughter to a stranger with money. He looked like the same man he used to respect. But Daniel knew he no longer was.

"It went well, I take it?"

"Yes. Better than okay. We all passed the Academy. And now we're in a party of adventurers about to head into the Wilds."

Bill looked alarmed. "There's no way you're taking my daughter into the Wilds, son."

Daniel frowned. "Your daughter is powerful in her own right. Together, our circle is unstoppable. Plus, we have seasoned veterans in our party."

Bill's mouth dropped open. "Circle? What are you talking about?" Bill looked over and saw Amy, Jasmine, and Amber as if for the first time. "A Circle!? Amy! Are you a witch? OH, MY GODS!" Bill started to back away, fear pouring from him so thick you could feel it.

Then Grace was there. She appeared behind Bill and clamped a hand over his mouth and held him. Amy's mother, Betty Albright, just absorbed what her husband had said, looked at Amy, Jasmine, and Amber, then saw Grace holding her husband, and was about to shriek, when Jason clamped a hand over her mouth. Her cheeks expanded and her face went scarlet.

Jennifer was glaring at Daniel. "Idiot." She turned to the others. "Everyone inside. Lock the door. We need to clear up some things. Quickly! Don't just stand there! Inside!"

Thirty-minutes later, Bill and Betty Albright sat inside their shop on stools staring at the Adventurer badges Daniel and the girls held in their hands.

Bill was the first to speak after all the explanations. "And King Arbuckle okayed all this?"

Amy nodded. "Yes, daddy."

"And you're all witches. But good witches?"

"Yes, daddy."

"And Glenda approves?"

"Oh yes, she does. She's a good friend."

"I would like to speak to this Glenda person."

"She's, ah, on a mission. Recovering some bad book."

"A bad book?"

"Yes, a book that Gwydion used. An evil book."

Bill sighed. "I don't know what to say. You'll have to keep this secret in town."

Daniel stirred. He hadn't said anything so far, allowing his girls to explain everything. "No. That's not going to happen. We have nothing to hide."

Bill glared at Daniel. "Says a bound spell caster. Son, this won't go over well in Acron. The people here won't abide your presence. My daughter is a..." he choked on his words. "She's a WITCH! By the Gods!" He lowered his face to his hands.

Grace had enough. "Okay, I've had enough of this. You two..." she pointed at Bill and Betty. "You two really have no concept of anything, to be honest. Daniel and his witches are the first good circle known to exist. Glenda has blessed them. See here?" She grabbed Jennifer by the arm and dragged her forward. "This is a paladin of Syn, in the flesh. This dwarf, a cleric of Syn. Syn has blessed this circle. Fuck, she made it happen. Get over it. Times are changing."

Bill just glared at Grace. "So fucking what? All people will hear is WITCHES! They'll tear them apart. I'll lose business! No one will trade with the father of a witch!" He glared at his daughter. "You've ruined me!"

Betty was nodding in agreement with her husband.

Amy stood up straight and Daniel and the girls felt her sudden hot rage. Something had boiled over inside her. "That's all that matters to you, isn't it? Not that I'm a fucking good witch. Not that I have powers to fight evil and the creatures from the Wilds. Not that Syn herself has blessed us. All that matters is this fucking trading post, which is nothing more than a shit hole in the middle of fucking nowhere. No wonder you tried to sell my virginity to some fat fuck! All you care about is money! Gods be damned, you sicken me! You are supposed to be my parents and take care of me and love me!"

Amy, now sobbing, grabbed the bag of holding off Daniel's waist and reached inside. When she pulled out her hand, she clutched a handful of coins. She threw them at her father. Platinum and gold pieces glittered in the sunlight coming through the windows and caught the look of greed that filled the faces of Bill and Betty on seeing the coins.

The coins clattered to the wooden floor, and they rolled freely. Bill was on his hands and knees clutching at them. Betty joined him.

Amy burst out in tears and ran from the trading post, Jasmine, and Amber chasing after her. Daniel picked up the bag from where Amy had dropped it and reached in. He picked out a platinum piece and threw it at Bill. It struck his head and Bill looked up, spied the coin, and grabbed it.

Daniel took out another one and tossed it toward Betty and she scrambled after it.

"You two are fucking assholes," declared Daniel. "Your daughter just ran out of here and you don't care." Daniel crouched down and grabbed Bill by the chin, hard and forced him to look at him. "If you ever come near your daughter, I will make you regret it, you fucking piece of shit. You ever say anything negative about your daughter, I will find you and end you. You live as a mercy right now."

Daniel stood, hawked, and spat phlegm on the floor. He then picked out another platinum coin, dropped it in the wetness, and watched as Bill grabbed it.

"You don't understand! This wealth will make all the difference! We need this to get by!"

"Oh, I understand perfectly. Come on, everyone, this place is too foul for my tastes."

Jennifer stopped in front of the Albrights and looked down at them. "Syn is disgusted with you two. She wants me to tell you that justice will be served. You two have a reckoning coming. Not because of your love of coin over your daughter, but because you tried to whore your daughter out to a stranger for coin. You have broken the rules Syn holds most dear."

Betty looked at her husband in fright. "What does she mean? What reckoning?"

Bill growled. "It's just words. Ignore her."

Brian chuckled. "Just words, he says." Bill glared at Brian. Brian chuckled again and started chanting. Bill and Betty stood up and backed away from him. Brian held up his hand and finished his chanting. A light flew from his hand and touched Bill and Betty. They cried out and grabbed their foreheads in pain. When they lowered their hands the mark of Syn was visible.

Daniel chuckled. "You might want to check a mirror, but you both have a penis carved into your foreheads."

Daniel and the others left the store, chuckling at the cries coming from the Albrights. They found Amy outside being held by Amber and Jasmine.

When Amy saw Daniel, she broke away and ran into his arms.

He stroked her back. "I'm so sorry, love. That was terrible. But you knew this was likely to happen. Your parents are terrible people. But we'll get through this. All of us together. You aren't alone."

Amy growled and pulled her head back. "No, Daniel, you don't understand. I wanted to kill them in there. I still do! I hate them so much!" She started crying again and pressed her face into his shirt.

Through the bond he could sense the truth in her words. All her delusions about her parents being good people had evaporated leaving only the truth behind. The stark truth. She truly hated them now. Watching them scramble after coins had been the last straw.

Daniel understood. The bond between them allowed for no deception. He followed the lead of Amber and Jasmine and flooded Amy with acceptance and love. She relaxed in his arms and then pulled away and wiped at her tears.

"Enough crying. They're dead to me."

Jennifer nodded. "Syn will see to them. Trust me in that."

Amy looked at Jennifer. "She won't kill them, will she?"

"No. They don't deserve death as a punishment, but it's close." Jennifer looked up at the Acron Trading Post sign. "I think they will lose everything they hold dear. It already started with you, but they don't realise that yet." Jennifer took the lead of her horse. "Where to now?"

Daniel looked over toward the inn and tavern. "We'll end up taking all the rooms, but the inn should be able to hold us all for tonight. One night and then we head to the Wilds. Agreed?"

Amy grinned. "I want the same room as before, Daniel."

Grace walked past Daniel and stroked his chin with her thumb. "Are you in charge now, Daniel?"

Daniel didn't know. "I just think it's a good idea. The restaurant here is actually really good. I know the owner."

Amy snorted. "Yeah, he does, actually."

Grace grinned. "I'm just fucking with you. We know this little town and the restaurant is really good. Come on. Daniel and Amy, you're paying. You just tossed a King's Ransom on the ground back there. Obviously, you have the wealth and means."

They took the horses' leads and walked toward the inn.

Bill and Betty stumbled out of the store. "Wait! Come back! Remove these! Please!"

Brian's laughter was their only answer.

* * *

The inn was able to accommodate all of them since all the rooms were vacant. When Daniel inquired as to why, the innkeeper merely stated that adventurers were all out in the Wilds. While the number of adventurers had increased over the past few months, they went out but rarely returned. Grace's expression had darkened and Jason, Brian and she exchanged a long, hard look that Daniel didn't fail to see and understand.

Jasmine ran over to make a reservation at the Acron restaurant and returned and told Daniel that the owner was looking forward to meeting with him and his adventurers this evening and to not make any other plans.

When Daniel tried to insist they all dress up for dinner, it was Grace who put a stop to it.

"Don't. This is a small town. Flaunting wealth is never a good thing. We dress casually, that alone will be rich enough for this place. We already stand out as adventurers. You'll have to learn to curb that. We have a duty to the Realm. That's it. Everything else is gravy. Don't rub things in the faces of innocent people. It's just rude."

They arrived at the restaurant and Amy asked if she could go in first. Daniel understood and nodded. They watched her go inside and be met by Peter Partridge, nephew to the owner Mark Marshall.

After a moment, Peter appeared at the door and beckoned them inside. "Please, come on in. My uncle is talking with Miss Albright. Your table is ready."

Daniel led the way and soon they were all seated at a large central table. Peter and another waiter filled water glasses with clean fresh water with actual ice cubes. Heaping bread baskets with steaming rolls and fresh churned butter were placed on the table and hands flew from everywhere to grab at them. Daniel looked around for Amy, but she hadn't returned from meeting with the owner. Amy had a bad history here at the restaurant. Then through the bond he felt her embarrassment which then changed to happiness. Jasmine and Amber visibly seemed to relax when that happened.

She emerged from the back rooms a moment later with Mark Marshall. Daniel rose and shook Mark's hand.

"Daniel! So good to see you again! I trust the Academy treated you well?"

Daniel nodded. "Yes, in the end, very well indeed. Let me introduce you to my party." Daniel missed the smile that passed between Jason and Brian.

Daniel introduced everyone and noticed Mark took a strong interest in Grace. Once the pleasantries were over, Mark promised them a wonderful meal, already paid for by Amy, and to enjoy themselves.

"After dinner, it would be my pleasure to meet you all in my back offices. I think we may have some matters to discuss if you are willing to hear what I have to say. I would like to bring you up to speed on what has been happening out this way, if I may?"

Grace accepted at once. "We would appreciate that. Thank you."

Mark bowed and then moved out of the way for Peter, who had a small booster seat for Bitty. He apologised, blushing madly, and placed it under Bitty. Bitty grinned and looked around from her perch.

"That's better, thank you, Peter."

"Thank you, miss."

Peter wandered away, bumping into a chair or two, unable to keep his eyes off Bitty.

"I think he's smitten," murmured Jennifer.

"Oh yes, he is," agreed Brian.

"I like him," murmured Bitty and blushed.

Moments later, Peter and the staff emerged from the kitchen to present the first course of seven for the evening. Conversation ended and was replaced by oohs and ahs, and the sound of chewing. Wine appeared paired with each course and the adventurers dug in for a fine night of exquisite dining.

When the meal ended, Mark gathered them up and brought them into the back rooms and seated them in his large office. He took drink orders and Peter left to fetch them.

Daniel sat and nursed his cold beer. He had missed this beer and savoured the light flavour of hops. Jasmine tried it but scrunched up her nose. She sipped a brandy instead, while sitting snuggly in his lap. If Mark minded the open affection, he said nothing.

They made formal introductions and Mark settled down with them, drinking a cold beer as well.

He spoke first to Grace. "It's been a while since you've passed through, Grace Gales. You, Brian, Jason, and that spell caster fellow, Eric. Yes, I recognise you all. I miss little that happens here in Acron."

Grace nodded. "You are an agent with the KBI. You work for Sylvan Castigon."

Mark raised his glass toward her. "Yes, indeed. I always assumed you knew, Grace de Moroingi. You honour my establishment."

"Of course I do," replied Grace, sipping her red wine. She looked around the office looking bored.

Mark laughed and then looked around at the others. "Let's see. A paladin and cleric of Syn. A fighter of some renown. A gnome who calls none of you master. And Daniel, a former dirt-poor Acron farmer, and three gorgeous ladies who once ran around Acron as little girls causing mischief and mayhem. You all left together and now you return as adventurers. What are your classes if I may be so bold?"

Grace smiled. "You already know, Mark Meadows. Sylvan would have sent word of our arrival ahead. You'll report back everything we say this evening and the king will know immediately. You track all the adventurers out this way. We all know you do."

"Do you? I hadn't realised. I thought I had been keeping this all secret all these years."

"Hmm. A fine dining restaurant in the middle of nowhere, but at a major trading hub, and close to the Wilds. It's where my mother would place her best spies. I only have one question, how loyal are you to Sylvan Castigon?"

"Loyal? I am loyal to the king. I work for Sylvan."

"Fair enough. Tell us. What is happening out this way? We are hearing rumours. Adventurers going out but not coming back? How bad is it?"

Mark sat back and looked pensive. "Bad actually. Roughly thirty-four adventurers came through Acron in the past three months. They haven't reported back this way. Not one. It maybe they left by a different route, but the other towns haven't seen them. We fear for the worst. They are assumed to be MIA, or KIA."

Jasmine mouthed MIA and KIA to Daniel with a questioning look, and he shook his head. Amber mimed cutting her own throat and stuck her tongue out to the side and Jasmine's eyes widened.

"What's the plan?" asked Grace, ignoring Amber.

"Plan? The king just sends more adventurers. That's the only plan if there is one. Just throw more people out this way and into the Wilds. What else can he do? The defence of the Realm comes first, regardless of the cost."

"The cost is in lives. Do you know what's happening?"

Mark shook his head. "Not entirely. We do know that there has been a spike in monster activity coming out of the Wilds. Goblins, orcs, kobolds, and the odd ogre and troll. They seem more organised. Almost as if they are working together."

Grace looked thoughtful.

Daniel sat forward in his seat. "Mark, you said you know and recognise Grace's party. When did Eric last come through here? Do you know?"

"Eric? That arrogant spell caster? Yes, I recognised him. He came through here about a month before you waltzed into town with unexplained wealth. He was alone. He stayed at the inn and ate here."

Grace, Jason, and Brian perked up. "And?" demanded Grace.

"And what? We didn't speak. He looked haggard and looked like he had been through something terrible. He left early the next morning, and I haven't seen hide nor hair of him since. Funny you should ask about him."

Estcher
Estcher
1,732 Followers