The Saga of Tythoros Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Please do," Hera requested. "I imagine it's an inconvenience to those celebrating there now. You know, they just offered up a sacrifice to me, so that I may bless the engagement of sharp-eyed Xalchon."

"I was not aware that he had been betrothed," Zeus coolly replied.

"Oh, yes," Hera said, turning the screw. "But then, you wouldn't know a thing about the bride, would you? I'm sure you don't have a care in all the world about sweet, beauteous Pheira, do you?"

Zeus' temper was rising, and Hera could see it. "Do you dare to accuse me of something, Hera?"

"Would you dare to seduce her, my husband, as you have seduced so many others before?"

Zeus advanced upon her. "Be careful, sweet bedmate, with your vengeance. I know that your jealousy and spite have no limit. I have seen too many of my consorts and children suffer too greatly for the sake of your injured pride."

"For the sake of our marriage!" Hera retorted.

Zeus spoke over her. "Take care, my queen! Take care that you do not exact punishment on those who have not earned it!"

The moment hung between them in silence. "Do you deny laying with that girl?" Hera finally asked.

"I insist," Zeus answered, "that you leave Ammochrusios, his daughters, and all of his servants alone. Disobey me in this and you will know the limits of my wrath."

Hera could only say "As my husband wishes," with a bow, before they left for other business. Zeus went back to his throne, and Hera went to seek her daughter, Eileithyia.

***

The following night, every servant and guest of the palace in Thebes had come to the banquet hall. They were being treated to yet another feast, this time to celebrate the nuptials of their princess and to witness the moment when she became newly wed to Xalchon.

This feast was even more grand than the one before, for Pheira was such a beloved princess that no one in the palace had spared any effort or expense to wish her marriage well. Pheira herself was draped from head to toe with a beautiful white dress embroidered with gold, a thick veil covering her face. She was sitting at the head of one table, surrounded by her mother, her sister, and all the other women of the palace. The men sat at another table, surrounding Xalchon in his gleaming golden armor.

And above them all, lying unseen in wait, was Eileithyia.

That goddess who watched over pregnancies and birth pangs had been given very strict instructions by her mother, the jealous Hera. Eileithyia patiently obeyed the queen goddess' wishes, taking count of all those women who were with unborn child while waiting her cue.

Finally, Ammochrusios took his staff in hand and stood at the front of the hall. The room went quiet as Xalchon went to stand by the king and Pheira went to join him. All eyes were on them, until a loud retching noise was heard.

No mortal in the banquet hall ever saw Eileithyia at work. They only saw the queen Cuphora, visibly pregnant at the time with the king's only son, violently throw up in a display of morning sickness. A handful of other women present, all of whom were pregnant, vomited uncontrollably soon after.

Out of concern for the guests or fear of poisoned food, the entire hall was thrown into uproar. But the worst was yet to come.

"Pheira!" someone shouted. "The lady Pheira has fallen ill!"

Everyone's attention had turned back to Pheira. She was on her knees, with frightened tears in her eyes, but not a soul went to help her. In a gross violation of tradition, the bride had removed her own veil.

Far worse, Pheira's wedding gown and veil had been ruined by the vomit of her morning sickness.

What followed was a long and terrifying moment of stunned silence. No one could think of anything to say, save only for Ammochrusios.

"OUT!" he roared. "Everyone, begone from this place! Get out! Get out!"

The guests obeyed, dispersing to tell the whole city what had transpired. The only ones who remained were Ammochrusios, his wife, his two daughters, and the man who would have been his son-in-law. All were too shocked, too embarrassed, too angry to say anything.

"What have you done?" It was Cuphora who first ventured to speak. Her words were so soft and so frightened that it would have been better if she had shouted. "My daughter, what have you done?"

Pheira could say nothing.

Xalchon had held his rage in check for long enough. "She was supposed to be a virgin!" he exploded. "You swore to me that no man had touched her!"

"It would seem," said Ammochrusios, putting a great deal of effort into keeping his voice even, "that my daughter has fallen into the arms of a man without my knowledge."

The king turned on his daughter. "And from your condition, it would appear that this happened not long ago. Who was it, you wretched girl? For whom did you bring shame upon yourself and on all those here now?!"

The king's voice echoed through the empty banquet hall as Pheira carefully chose her answer. "My lord and father," she began, "I only know that after loving me as no man had ever before loved a woman, he disappeared more quickly than frost before the sun. If I laid with any other than mighty Zeus whose shield is thunder, I pray that he may grant me the kindness of killing me at this moment."

"Heresy!" cried Xalchon. "Outrageous deceit! Who are you, foul whore, to blame the king of all gods for your crime? I beg you, king Ammochrusios, put this harlot to death as payment for her broken promise and yours!"

Pheira cried for her life, but it was Cuphora's retort that reached everyone's ears: "What if she's right?"

That was too horrible a scenario for anyone to consider. Zeus was known through all of creation for his indiscretions, and he would surely punish any mortal who harmed his consorts.

"Father?" asked Pheira as Ammochrusios went over his options.

Finally, he addressed Xalchon. "Sharp-eyed Xalchon. On my family's behalf, I cannot apologize enough for this great shame upon our families."

"Your apologies are ill compensation for a broken promise," retorted Xalchon.

"Oh, but my promise will be kept yet," said Ammochrusios. He gestured to Cleia, the young girl -- no older than fifteen -- who had been hiding behind her mother this whole time. "In the place of my first daughter, I offer my second. You will see for yourself that she is quite beautiful, and if she is not a virgin, I should give you my kingdom!"

Upon hearing this, Pheira's limbs had suddenly found their former strength. "No," interjected Pheira as she stood. "No, you cannot hand innocent Cleia over to this barbarian! Punish me as you will, but I pray you, father, do not make her suffer for what I've done!"

"Guards!" called Ammochrusios, ignoring his first-born. "Guards!"

When two armed soldiers appeared, hearing their master's call, Ammochurios continued. "This wench is no longer my daughter," he decreed. "See to it that she is removed from the kingdom immediately and imprisoned upon her return. I never want to hear her name spoken again!"

***

So it was that the unhappy maiden Pheira, banished from her own kingdom, headed south while with child. Over time, she was able to beg and barter her way to the city of Athens. In a welcome and long-overdue bit of good fortune, it was there she met Plakinos, an old marble quarryman.

Plakinos was pleased to take in the disgraced princess, as he was a widower with no child of his own. Indeed, he had hoped to wed Pheira in due course, but his courting was all for naught. Alas, the tragic maiden had been so badly cursed by Eileithyia that she died in childbirth.

In her place, Plakinos bestowed upon her child the name of "Tythoros," and raised the boy as his own son.

***

The story will continue shortly in Chapter 2. In the meantime, your comments and feedback are more than welcome.

Special thanks to LaRascasse, for graciously agreeing to review and edit this chapter, and thanks to you for reading.

12