The Sammie Effect Pt. 02

Story Info
Can things continue to get better?
16.3k words
4.86
4.6k
15

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 11/12/2023
Created 11/07/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
KBLake
KBLake
141 Followers

This is the second and final installment of The Sammie Effect. This will make more sense if you read part one first. Thanks for reading!

This is a work of fiction. Unless otherwise indicated, all the names, characters, businesses, places, events, and incidents in this story are either the product of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.


I handed my father another beer and sat back down with mine. We are out on the deck despite the cool September breeze, but having to wear an extra layer is worth the fresh air and views. I spent the last couple of hours getting him up to speed and answering questions. Mom and Sammie are on a shopping trip to the city; my mother having declared Sammie's need to shop with a woman.

"Kip, I'm still trying to take it all in. I mean, what are the odds?"

"Well, obviously not impossible. We know that now! I guess, when you think about how small the town is, and how few ever leave, it's a bit more believable than it would be in some big city."

"I vaguely remember you mentioning Jill. Must be because she'd hinted at a date, and you told me."

"Probably."

I thought back. Dad was usually the one I went to girl issues with back then.

"But even I'd almost forgotten about her by then. She was even prettier when we had our brief encounter. I can see her in Sammie."

Dad just nodded slowly as he looked out at the waves, still thinking about this change in the family.

"Well, I'm glad it worked out the way it did. It's really nice to have another grandchild. Oh, and son?"

I raised my eyebrows in a nonverbal 'what?'.

"She's good for you. We, your mother and I, we've, well, missed you. We were so worried about how noncommunicative you'd become. It's good to see you smiling...talking."

I nodded as I smiled at him.


I got a warm feeling as Sammie embraced each of my parents in turn. Mom was crying again, but happy tears. She really likes Sammie. I keep catching my dad looking at her with this confused face, but it's because he can't figure out how a person that had such a rough start in life can still be that sweet. I know...I asked him.

Thinking back to breakfast, I smile remembering my mother's 'guidance'. I had told them that when Sammie mentioned wanting to live with me, I had been hesitant, worried that after just a couple of hours a day for three months, we'd end up getting on each other's nerves, spending most of each day together. Sammie responded, 'We're kinda supposed to at some point...right?'.

My mother said Sammie is obviously smarter than me and that I should pay attention. Well...there you go. As it turned out, there weren't many problems. She was twenty, not ten. The biggest issue was when I'd spend money on her. She'd get uncomfortable. I assured her we were fine.

So, after some happy but tearful goodbyes, they left for the airport so they could get down to Florida for the closing on their condo. Of course, we promised to visit soon.


"Oh...my...God! They're HUGE!"

"Sammie, we've still got a way to go to get to them."

I smiled at her reaction to seeing the quay cranes lining the edge of the terminal. Once we got closer, she realized she was also looking at an exceptionally large container ship; equally impressive and eliciting a gasp from her.

It had been easier than I expected to get permission for her to be with me. I'd never asked about it before and hadn't been sure. When the job request came in, I asked my contact about bringing her along and he said he'd take care of it and did. The pass was waiting when we showed up.

The fix only took about an hour. As usual, I had three or four people watching me, trying to explain what happened, answering questions I asked, and of course, asking me what I was doing to fix it. Sammie was in the thick of it. I was proud of how sharp she was. One of the men asked how long she'd been apprenticed to me. She proudly declared she was my daughter. They all smiled as if that explained her knowledge. Their jaws dropped when she said this was the first time she'd been near one!

The job took that afternoon and the next morning to complete. I told Sammie she could go see the sights or shop if she didn't want to be bored. She was adamant that she wanted to be with me. She did some schoolwork online in the evenings. We checked out after noon and headed east to my brother's place in Anaheim.


"If you do anything to screw this up, I'll hunt you down Kip. I swear I will."

"Thanks Lisa. I'll remember that."

I looked over and smiled at my sister-in-law and realized she looked serious.

"Kip, you need her. Do you realize this is the nicest you've ever been around me or the kids? Hell, sometimes you struggle to talk to your own brother. And that's only when you show up. Which, I'd like to point out, is without warning, and not often enough."

I sigh. I know this of course.

"And now, you discover you have a daughter. Kip, she's the best. And what makes me already love her even more is the effect she's having on you."

We both looked over at my brother, and Lisa's husband, John. He's taking pictures of the kids with his phone. Maggie's fourteen and JJ, for John Junior, is twelve. Sammie is in between them, an arm around each and all three making funny faces. They adore her. Maggie is already talking to her like a big sister.

"I'm so sorry Lisa. I feel like I've missed so much. You all deserved better from me."

She stretched up and kissed my cheek.

"That's the past. Let's just make sure there's a lot more of this in the future."

It was the most pleasant visit I'd ever had with them. I admit, I used to do it out of nothing more than a sense of obligation. It hurt to notice the kids act almost afraid of me at first, but they were raised well. All seemed to be forgiven quickly, and soon everyone was having a good time.

We agreed to get together more often and ideas for the next visit were already forming. Sammie of course insisted on calling them Uncle John and Aunt Lisa. She was reveling in having a family. I guess I was too.


I love autumn up here. Words can't describe the colors, crisp air, or the feeling you get knowing that winter is around the corner. Harvest time, when something in us knows it's time to appreciate the fruits of our labor and prepare for the cold.

I'm watching Sammie with pride. She's on the Honda Rebel 500 we picked up for her. Like mine, it's used. And more importantly, according to her, also like mine, it's black. Just add this to the list of things that she excels at. I bought her an old Suzuki gn250 just three weeks ago, when we got back from LA. In two weeks, I figured she was ready for what she wanted, and we traded it in. She's comfortable but not pushing it. I realize I'd trust her to ride without me around.

Looks like she'll be testing for her license soon.

We've had a good month. She's still acing her class and still trying to figure out what she wants to major in. I keep reminding her she has time.

The only thing that still causes tension between us is my spending. She has no idea how much money I have, although I suspect she's at the very least deduced I'm 'okay'. This is where I thank my parents. Every day I realize how good they were. When I'm unsure of what to do, I think about how they handled things.

I ultimately decided that sharing my financial status is not going to happen yet. Not that I don't trust her. I do...really. Completely. I just don't want to...well...corrupt her, I guess. She's obviously a bit confused. I can buy her last-minute, first-class plane tickets to go on a trip with me, but I buy used cars and motorcycles. I smile thinking how her wheels must be turning.

October has been good. Her riding independently, two work trips plus two more remote, all of which she's been a part of. Thankfully, she's not showing too much interest in following in my footsteps. I don't wish this life on her. Yes, I have money, but I'm kind of the poster child for 'money can't buy you happiness'.

Speaking of love, she's up to something. I remember her telling me she needs to find a mom. Obviously, that also means finding me a wife. I'm not too worried about it though. She'll waste a lot of time trying to solve that puzzle. I gave up a long time ago.

After the second trip, I realized I owed her yet again. She pays attention to the people around her. I, on the other hand, usually try to pretend they don't exist. She asked why the same guy has been on both trips she's been on. When I asked her to describe him, I realized he's been at all of them.

It dawns on me that my employer is sending a man to try and learn how I do what I do. I get it. I'm not cheap. Am I upset? No. I called my...handler. I guess that's the best way I can think of him. I mention that I'm happy to teach my 'shadow' what I know and step aside. Turns out his name is Willem.

He's thrilled to say the least. From now on, Willem will actively engage during actual jobs, and I'll meet with him every other week to start passing on my knowledge. I'll make more money now, and hopefully be done with this within a year. As I've mentioned, I don't need the money. And I find myself being a family man now.

Besides, when I look at it, it costs a lot to take her on trips. They're always last minute. You can imagine the cost of booking a first-class ticket on short notice. The hotels aren't cheap either. Then there's the fact that Sammie and I aren't choosing the destination. It would be cheaper and a whole lot more enjoyable to plan a trip each month and keep the business out of it.


Love. Funny thing, that. Sammie is amazing, but she's still young. Still, I have to seriously appreciate the effort. She thinks she's being subtle. She randomly asks me questions trying to gauge what kind of woman I'm interested in.

I indulged her. Hell, let's face it...this girl is magic. Why not answer? Lord knows I haven't had any luck. When you think about it, would you rather trust a dating site, your luck at a bar, or your loving daughter? I'll go with Sammie.

Except, it didn't go so well.

At least my newfound daughter wasn't sneaky. She updated my Facebook profile with my approval. By now, it was known I was back in town. It had also caused a whirlwind of gossip when people saw Sammie claim I was her dad and that I likewise claimed her as my daughter. Hey, anything I can do to keep people busy. Right?

Still, I'd forgotten the power of the small-town rumor mill. Sammie had run through the list of many of the girls from my yearbook that were available. I admitted that Jen Masterson, now Jen Richards, had always appealed to me. We dated one time in high school, and she was now divorced, and still an attractive woman. Sammie managed to get us to agree to a date of sorts. We met at the Harborside and had dinner.

It didn't go well. I felt like I was in an interview...for a gossip rag. She wanted details on when I'd gotten Jill pregnant. I answered, 'nine months before Sammie was born'. I was trying to be casually funny. It didn't work. She kept prying. There were a lot of questions that had no good answer. Trying to make it look like I knew I was cuckolding her fiance, but how?

Then she started trying to figure out how much I was worth. Apparently, it hadn't escaped notice that we were in an expensive oceanfront rental, or that I'd gotten Sammie and myself vehicles, even if they were used. I was pleased with myself that I didn't lose my cool. But I didn't give her what she was after and ended the meal before dessert.

Everything we'd talked about ended up on her Facebook page, as well as a few things she guessed at. Wrongly. I shut that down quickly in the comments section. Did I get an apology? No. Did she retract anything? No.

I begged Sammie 'No more!"


Then we got the distraction we needed. Another job came up. Like I had the previous few, I added Sammie to the plans. Unlike the others, I added a destination and some time. The job, which I told her about, was in Felixstowe, in the United Kingdom. It was the largest port they had. The rest was a surprise I knew she'd enjoy.

The job went routinely. It was a standard three-day maintenance inspection, and they'd had some prior glitches which I helped Willem figure out. Sammie and I enjoyed the evenings with a little sightseeing and dining out.

We headed back to Heathrow, where we picked up our tickets. She was surprised we were headed to Edinburgh.

"I thought you'd like to visit the country your ancestors came from."

"We're Scottish?"

"Aye lass!" I answered with a really bad accent. She grimaced at it, then laughed.

I explained our heritage to her. My great grandfather came over with his parents to take their chances in America. They liked it and stayed. She was full of questions I couldn't answer. It was clear from her raised eyebrow; she thought I should know more.

She decided her grandparents would have to fill her in. I admit to never taking a lot of interest in it. I remember the looks of disappointment from my family. I'll have to correct that. Well, it starts now.

We spent three days walking the city and taking short day trips into the surrounding area. I admit, it was more fun and interesting than I thought it would be. Sammie kept the family updated daily, and I realized there would be a large family trip back here before long. I owed my parents that.

It's our last night, we're walking the streets, bundled up against the cold of late October. I suggest we duck into a pub to warm up and she agrees. Neither of us are big drinkers, but we are in a pub. Soon, I have my hands wrapped around a hot buttered scotch. Sammie was sipping some cocktail she'd ordered. She's not even legal in the states yet. But this is Europe.

The place is cozy and by the looks of it, a favorite of the locals. There's a loud group at the bar and a few tables buzzing with conversation. Sammie is filling me in on the latest she's researched on Clan Campbell.

The next thing we knew, a woman was standing next to us. She overheard us and said there is some family we need to meet.


Thank God this flight is a long one and the last part at night. I'll hopefully sleep off this hangover. All told, it's not a horrible one, but I'm not used to it. Sammie was smarter than me and seems fine in the seat next to me.

It ended up being quite an evening.

As we walked over, we were greeted by a tableful of smiling faces. It turned out they were all Campbells. Thankfully, though proud of their heritage, they were not so into it as to still hold on to some of the feuds. That was proven as a couple of MacGregors were at the next table and all were getting along fine.

We exchanged stories and soon Sammie got them up to speed on our family history, including immigration to the US and after. She already knew more than me. The drinks flowed and Sammie charmed them...of course.

I guess the scotch made me a little emotional. One of the women saw me looking at Sammie with glassy eyes. Soon Sammie told her story...our story. Even a couple of the men had tears by the end.

Ultimately, we were adopted unofficially into their branch of the clan and promises of hospitality were made not if, but when we returned. At some point the conversation turned to my single status. It seemed to bother the women at the table. Some seemed to think I owed Sammie a mother, regardless of the fact she was twenty. The others seemed to think it was their job to find me a wife. Apparently, they all knew plenty of available local women.

In my cups, I got a little more talkative than normal, which isn't saying much. All were asking me questions and Sammie was loving it. Soon, I'd mentioned the one girl I'd always admired in high school.

Willow Clark had probably been at the top of every boy's list. She was a brown-eyed beauty with brown hair and a body that made guys stare, and girls envious. She was of course a cheerleader and in my class.

She was also taken.

Jonah Smith was a big guy. He was one year ahead of us and already playing varsity sports as a freshman. Did I mention he was big? He was also intimidating. I don't think I ever saw him smile. I guess he was good looking, at least the girls thought so. All I knew was that within a week of freshman year starting, he had claimed Willow.

Willow was complex. Many, including me, thought she was a bit of a ditz. At that age, that often got equated to intelligence, so many also thought she was dumb. She wasn't though. It took three years before it dawned on me; she was in all my 'college-track' classes. Just who were the dumb ones?

She was actually in my loose circle of friends, but despite no pressure, and the fact I usually had a girlfriend, I'd still get tongue tied trying to talk to her. Then, she got pregnant. She had the baby over the summer between junior and senior year.

Surprisingly, she came back to school and got her diploma. She was a changed person that year; quiet and shy. She was still in my classes, but no longer took part in school activities. We all knew she was still with Jonah, despite him now being out of school and working.

I lost track of her after I left for college. When I came back after failing out, there was no sign of her, and I didn't ask about her. Of course, in those years I was at my personal low.

I drifted off to sleep as the flight leveled off at its cruising altitude. I vaguely wondered how much of that story I'd told to the table last night.


Two weeks after our return, Sammie let me know we were headed over to Sandy's house for a cook-out. Yes, a cook-out. The weather had an unusual warm streak and the high was supposed to be Saturday. I gather the whole thing was a spontaneous idea...kind of a last hurrah to the warmth.

I of course agreed. Sandy was a nice young woman. She was one of the three 'S' friends and her family had taken in Sammie when her mother left. I'd met her husband, Roger, once and they seemed like a happy family.

Sammie and I brought desserts, and I picked up a six pack of beer. Roger had just turned twenty-one and I'd have someone I could share a beer with and not feel guilty. Sammie made me get a specific bottle of wine too...'in case someone wants it'.

We arrived early and I was helping Roger with the grill while we sipped a beer. I heard a car approaching and looked to see an SUV. Roger saw and let me know it was Sandy's older brother, Tommy, and his family. I knew she had a sibling, but beyond that not a lot. I turned back to the grill.

When I heard voices, I looked up and got a bit of a shock. The woman who walked in was like a young version of Willow Clark. I watched her give Sammie a hug and then the whole crew came in my direction. I was introduced to Tommy, Sandy's older brother and his wife, Rowan...the Willow look-alike.

I realized everyone was giving me a look, some were smiling. Rowan's was...appraising? Then I looked at Sammie and I knew something was up. She had a way too innocent look on her face.

"Hi KC." The voice was almost timid, but I swear I got goosebumps.

I looked up and there she was. Willow. Totally unchanged, beautiful Willow. Still way out of my league. I took her in and realized there were some very subtle changes. She's actually a little curvier, but I swear she's lost a little weight. There's also a look of sadness in her brown eyes, almost imperceptible.

KBLake
KBLake
141 Followers