The Scent of Love

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

----------------------------------

"It took awhile, but I was able to move here, get my job at The Flowers Scent, become a florist thanks to my boss Terry and reinvent my life. All thanks to a white rose gifted to me by a stranger." Drent had been staring at the path before them while he listened, his fist clutch tight. "I stayed with Terry until I could afford my home. Which, Terry helped cover payments when my sales weren't the greatest. And now, he intends to name me his successor and take over the business! I've come a long way but I still have so far to go."

Drent puts a gentle hand on Steven's shoulder drawing the smaller man's attention. He looks into Drent's light blue eyes, seeing a softness he never thought was there. It also brought a feeling of recognition. Before he could dwell on that feeling, Drent pulls him into a comforting hug. Being shorter then the man by over a foot, Steven found himself face to chest with him, unable to not smell his natural musk. To Steven, he smelt like pine and maple syrup. Coincidently, the forest they were walking through was made up of mostly pines and maple trees. "For what it's worth, I'm glad you made it through that night. I never would've met you otherwise." Steven goes still, surprised to hear him say that. Taking advantage of the hug, Steven wraps his own arms around the bigger man, resting his head on Drent's sturdy chest. The two stood in each others embrace in the morning sun, enjoying the closeness the other provided.

Steven opens his eyes with a start. His attention was drawn to the feel of both their erections pressing against his stomach. "Uh, Drent?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you um...'happy to see me?'" Drent opens his eyes, a look of confusion on his face. He grows worried when the meaning behind the phrase hits. Gently separating themselves he looks between them to see their hard ons.

"Fuck! I'm so sorry, Steven. I hope I didn't make you....". He trails off, seeing the other man just staring at his bulge. He grew even more worried when Steven starts to reach for it. Suddenly, he steps away from Steven just out of his reach. He couldn't bring himself to look Steven in the eyes as he spoke. "Please, don't. I...can't go through that again. I...I gotta go." He turns and leaves.

Steven just stood there watching him go, confused, slightly horny, and more then a little hurt.

Later that day, Steven is at work tending to a bouquet of flowers made of lilies and roses for a customer. He was thankful for the distraction, even though he still found himself thinking about Drent and how he practically ran off. "He said 'again'. Was he hurt before? Must've been pretty bad to have run off like that."

"God, you look gay doing that."

Steven sighs with exhaustion, recognizing the voice. "Fuck you too, Fred." Terry had stepped out to meet with the lawyer about the latest 'missing' paperwork, meaning Steven would have to deal with Fred himself. He looks up to see Fred approaching. "What do you want now?"

"Better watch your tone, you wimpy fuck. It's only a matter of time until this place is mine." He reaches the counter with a smug look. "And when that happens, you'll be out of the job."

"At least I have one." Steven manages to catch Fred twitch from that jab. "Pretty heartless of you to want your uncle to pass, just so you can have a building."

"He's lived his life. Time for his more ambitious nephew to make his mark in the world."

"By wiping out Terry's mark? What a 'great' nephew you are." Fred slams the counter, startling Steven.

"You better shut the fuck up if you know what's good for you!" He starts to move around the counter towards Steven. "If you think gutter trash like you will stop me from getting what's mine--!" He knocks the bouquet away, ruining the flowers. Steven, too scared to do anything after the 'gutter trash' remark, silently cries for help.

"Back. Off. Asshole." The new voice booms throughout the store, snapping both of their attention to the door, where Drent stood. The customer who commissioned the bouquet stood right behind him. Fred backs away as Drent and the customer approach.

"This is between us! Stay the fuck out of my business!" Fred nearly shouts. Drent kept moving towards him as the customer quickly made her way to Steven, pulling him away from Fred.

"I'm making it my business." Drent soon stood in front of Fred, his height allowing him to look down at the other man. "Whatever issue you have with Steven, you can take it up with me." The two opposing men stood their ground, not willing to back down. Steven and the customer stood away, waiting to see what would happen next.

"I don't need this." Fred ripes around Drent, making his way to the door. He looks over his shoulder at Steven. "This place is mine! Make no mistake!" Steven manages to meet the leer with his own, holding it until he finally leaves.

"What a piece of work that guy is." The customer, Kim said. Steven lets out a breath he didn't realize he was holding, leaning against the counter to steady himself. "Hey! Whoa. You okay?"

"I will be. I'm...just not used to intense moments like that." He gives the ruined bouquet a regretful look. "Sorry, Kim. I might not be able to get your bouquet done in time now."

"It's not your fault. Don't worry about it. I'll just take it outta that guys ass if I ever see him again."

He chuckles. "That, I'd love to see. If you come back before we close, I should have it ready. If not, then tomorrow morning at the latest."

"Sounds good. See ya then." She turns to leave, getting a good look at Drent. "And be sure to thank handsome here for stepping in." Drent chuckles with a small smile.

"I will. See ya tonight, Kim." They wait until she leaves. Once alone, Steven moves back to his spot behind the counter then smiles at the other man.. "Thanks, Drent. Your timing is impeccable."

He places a hand on the counter. "So it would seem. Truth is, I came to apologize about running off like i did this morning."

"Yeah, not gonna lie. That was pretty shitty. I...hope you have a good reason?"

"I do. Years ago, I was seeing someone I thought had accepted me. Turned out, she couldn't accept all of me." Steven gives him a pained look, feeling guilty for being even a little mad. "She lashed out, hurting me far more then I would've thought possible"

Steven carefully reaches over, placing his hand over Drent's. "I'm sorry to hear that." They share a brief look before Drent looks away. "If...it's too soon for you, we could....take this slow?" Drent looks up at him. "I really enjoy being around you and--." The door opens as an older couple enter the store. Steven removes his hand to greet them looking back at Drent afterwards. "Do you mind stopping by my garden tonight? We can figure this out then."

Drent nods, his smile growing bigger. "Yeah. I'd like that."

It was dark out that night, with clouds blocking out the moon and stars. Drent stood on his porch looking up at the clouds, getting a sense of dread. He had been keeping an eye out for Steven ever since the sun went down. It was nearly ten and he still wasn't back yet. "Something's wrong. Why didn't I give him my number?" He said aloud. Pushing off the railing he starts towards his car when he spots head lights slowly turn onto their street. He watches them come closer then finally turn into Steven's driveway. Drent lets out a sigh of relief before making his way to the other house. He starts to worry once reaching the vehicle and seeing Steven looking pale. He knocks on the window, jolting Steven 'awake'. Right after seeing him, Steven jumps out of the car and right into his chest, sobbing. "Hey, hey. What happened?"

"It-it's Terry! He...he...! He's dead!"

"What?" Drent held the crying Steven tightly, letting him get as much of the pain and sorrow out of his system as he could. Eventually, he was able to shepherd him into the house and onto the couch. All while still holding the man. "Tell me what happened, Steven." His voice held a growing fury.

"A police officer came to the store. Told me what had happened before 'asking' me to go to the station with him. After closing the store, we went and for five hours, they kept asking me questions. They must've thought I couldn't have done it because they let me go. I was able to go to the morgue and see him thanks to the coroner. He was friends with Terry and knew how close we were." His eyes well up again. "Oh god, Drent! I barely recognized him!" He dove his face into Drent's chest once again, sobbing while gripping his clothes tightly.

Drent's anger grew with every tear Steven shed. "Could that nephew have something to do with this?"

"I have no doubts he does!" Steven nearly screams out, still keeping his face buried in Drent's chest. "But, aside from motive, there's nothing tying him to his death." After that, they sat in silence, save for Steven crying or muttering about losing the shop and his job. Eventually, his exhaustion caught up to him and he fell asleep. Very gently, Drent carries the sleeping man to his bed and settles him in.

Drent spares one more look of concern, allowing a small smile to form upon seeing the Steven's sleeping face. After that, he turns to leave. His face a mask of stern anger towards the one who hurt Steven, the man he had come to care deeply for. So much so, his eyes start to glow bright blue.

"Fuck ya, baby! I'll have my own business. Once the paperwork is settled, I'll be swimming in cash!" Fred was sitting at the bar with a woman, waving his drink around, trying to flirt with her. Spouting words in a drunken stupor, he didn't notice Drent walking through the front door, his nostrils flaring for a second. He glares at Fred, keeping himself from making a scene. After all, he was here to connect Fred to the murder, not hurt him. Yet. He casually makes his way to a vacant table, playing a normal guy coming in for a drink. As a waitress came to get his order, flirt with him then eventually retrieve his drink, Drent had an ear on Fred, listening for anything damning he could use. Finally, after receiving his third beer his nose twitches seconds before a man bursts through the door. Fred and the woman turn to see the man approaching, his eyes growing fearful. "The fuck are you doing here?"

"Making sure you don't screw me over!" The man shoots back. He gets in Fred's face, prompting the woman to leave. Drent eyes the man's bruised knuckles. On a hunch he takes a quick whiff catching the scent of fresh blood coming from them. He narrows his eyes.

"I told you not to come near me until much later, you fucking dumbass!"

The man grabs Fred by the collar. "And let you throw me under the bus? I'm not that stupid!" He grabs hold of Fred and drags him out while he tries to struggle and bargain. Once they leave the bar, Drent pays for his beer and follows. Outside, he spots the two make their way across the street and into an alley. Drent slowly makes his way over, able to catch the sound of Fred getting beat up, begging for the man to stop. Once he reaches the alley entrance, Drent casually leans against the wall, taking his phone out. He turns on the camera and aims it down the alley, able to see them while recording.

"The pain stops when you give me my money!"

"Please! I'll get it! It's in my uncle's store!"

"Then go get it!"

"I can't yet! I don't have the keys. Once I officially get the business, I'll pay!"

The man scoffs at Fred. "You hired me to kill your uncle with money you don't have?" He punches Fred in the nose, breaking it. "And you called me a dumbass."

"Please, stop! I hired you kill him, not me!" He said in a drunken, fearful plea, giving Drent exactly what he needed.

"All you did is piss off a killer." He pulls his fist back intending on beating Fred to death, just like Terry. Fred cried out in fear as the fist flies towards him only to stop right in front of his broken nose.

"That's enough." Drent commands, holding the man's arm.

"You!" Fred said in disbelief.

"Fuck off, asshole!" The man shouts, letting Fed go to swing his free hand at him. Drent didn't move to avoid the punch. Instead, he allows the hit to connect with his cheek. Followed by the sound of bones breaking. "FUCK!" The man shouts. Before he could do anything else, Drent effortlessly flings him against the opposite wall, knocking him out.

Fred covers his broken nose as well as the smile he wore. "Oh my god, thank you! I thought he was gonna kill me." He slowly picks himself up. When he gets on his feet, Drent grabs him by the throat and lifts him into the air with one arm, his feet dangling.

"I should kill you for what you put Steven through! Do you have any idea how much your uncle meant to him?!" He said with a deep reverb laced into his voice. "It would be so easy for me. A squeeze of my fingers and your head pops off." He brings his horrified face close to his. "Tell me Fred. Is there anyone alive that would mourn you?" The fear of death was too much for the man, fainting almost instantly. Drent lets out a calming sigh lightly tossing Fred beside his uncle's killer. "I really want to kill both of you for hurting Steven so much. But...". He pulls out his phone and sends the video anonymously to the police. "...that would hurt him far more." He turns away from the two unconscious men, walking away.

The sound and smell of sizzling steak rouses Steven awake. He blinks the sleep from his eyes, slowly lifting himself off the bed. Memories of last night flood back, as he struggles from crying. Focusing on the smell of steak helps him keep his emotions in check as he descends the stairs. At the bottom he sees Drent standing at the stove, frying up a rib-eye. He couldn't help but smile softly at him. "Careful. Keep waking me up this way and I might keep you."

Drent chuckles. "There are worst fates I can think of." He looks up to meet his moist eyes. "Sleep well?".

"Well enough. All things considered." Steven joins Drent at the oven, a plate of steak and eggs being placed before him. He stares at the meal, simply enjoying its fragrance of spices, though yearning to be in his garden. "Words can't express how thankful I am to you, Drent." He looks up. "I'd have completely broke apart by now if not for you. I don't mean to burden you with my crap and I'm sorry for...".

"Shhhhhh. Don't even think that." Drent moves to Steven, wrapping him in a hug that he returns. They hold each other, slowly rocking as Steven gently cries against Drent. Once Steven was calm Drent spoke. "You received a couple calls while you slept. The first was the police. They caught the ones responsible." Steven pulls away, looking at Drent was wide eyes full of surprise.

"Are you serious? That quickly? Who was it?"

"His nephew, Fred had hired a previously convicted felon to murder him. They didn't say why."

Steven grips Drent's shirt angrily. "Of course not! It's plainly obvious! That conniving FUCK!" More tears pour out as his grip grew tighter. Drent gently places his hands on his shoulders, bringing his focus back to him and his gentle smile.

"The second call...was from Terry's lawyer. Apparently, the man Fred hired took paperwork off of Terry that named you the new owner of The Flowers Scent. They're ready for your signature at your earliest convenience." The shorter man's anger quickly evaporates, replaced by a slowly growing smile that brightens up his entire face.

Without thinking Steven lept up and wrap his arms around Drent's neck, his legs, while not fully wrapping around the taller man's waist, held him in his thighs grasp. He laughs for absolute joy with happy tears running down his face. Drent simply holds him with a smile on his face, basking in his celebration. Then, once he opens his eyes, Steven looks down at Drent. Their positions coming into clarity to him as a realization hits him. He doesn't argue. He doesn't fight it. He just had two major wins in a row and now he was going for the jackpot. He slides his hand back to place on Drent's cheek, hopefully giving him as a seductive look as he could manage. He slowly locks his legs behind the man he clung to, slowly rubbing his crotch along his chiseled stomach. "Drent...". He whispers inching his mouth closer to his, finding excitement in the look of desire he saw within Drent's eyes. He leans in closer and closer until their lips nearly touch...something draws his gaze away. Something in his peripheral that seemed out of place. He turns to get a clearer look, his face showing confusion and concern. "Drent...wh-what is...?" Drent looks to his shoulder, taking a whiff, flinching at the smell while cursing under his breath. "Is...is that blood?"

"Steven..."

While staring at the tiny blood drop stains, Steven starts to put pieces together regarding the quick capture of Terry's killers and his ownership of the store. He releases his hold of Drent and takes a few steps away, a worry beginning to take hold. "What did you do?"

"...it hurt, seeing you so miserable. I had to do something. Something that would ease your misery." Steven wanted to snap at him to get to what he had done that resulted in blood on his shoulder. But he kept quiet, giving Drent the chance to explain and hoping beyond hope he didn't... "When I found him, right then I wanted to hurt him. When his hired gun came and dragged him away, I wanted to let him go and let that bastard get what he deserved...when he was getting beat to death...I wanted to join in and send them both to the grave." Steven grew pale at the intensity Drent was showing. But then, he calms down to look at Steven with sad eyes. "I saved him. His hired gun punched me. That's where the blood came from. I knocked them both out for the police. I had recorded them talking before intervening, sending the video anonymously. I had nothing I do with retrieving the paperwork."

Steven stood still, processing his explanation. It thrills him to know Drent acted on his behalf and even held himself back from severely hurting Fred. It was one of the reasons he never told him where Fred lived. That's when it clicked. The thing that was bugging him the most. Something Drent had neglected to mention. He meets Drent in the eyes, his heart pounding in fear of what he would say. "Drent, you...you didn't have to do that. I really appreciate what you've done for me. But going after Fred like that? How...did you find him?"

He was quiet for a long time. Long enough for Steven to wonder if he had spontaneously fallen asleep with his eyes open after calling out to him. Finally, Drent took a deep breath followed by a slow release. "I tracked him down. By following...his scent."

"...his...scent." Steven repeats, mainly to make sure he heard him right. His first thought was he had used Fred's social media or some connections he had through his gym. "And...how did you get...his...scent?"

"He was right in my face at the flower shop."

"Right, right." Steven replies, accommodating this wild explanation. "So, what? Are you a...werewolf? Vampire? Oh! I know, a wood elf."

Drent chuckles. "None of the above, I'm afraid. I'm something much...bigger."

"Something...bigger?" His eyes flick down to Drent's crotch, spotting the man's bulge, making him chuckle again. "Then a werewolf?"

"I'll show you. But not here." He turns towards the back door, his steak and eggs remaining untouched by the stove. He looks back at Steven once he reaches the door. "Steven, what I am about to show you...no one has ever seen. Save for my last partner."

Steven gulps as his heart began beating faster. "Th-then why show me?"

Drent simply smiles. "Once you discover the answer, come join me in the woods." With that, he opens the door and leaves, making his way through the garden and into the forest beyond.

After Drent left, Steven returned his attention to the meal he had made for them. His mind was full of thoughts regarding the two of them ever since they first met. He mulled over them as he finished his meal and placed Drent's plate in the microwave. All the while playing over the times the two of them have spent together, wondering if it was enough to be considered more then just a budding friendship. "He appreciated my garden and the time and effort I put into it. He listened to me talk about my past...and didn't shun me. He even watched over me when I was asleep...twice." He looked outside towards the forest, remembering the creature he saw within. "Come to think of it...I woke up on his couch after running into that thing...". He sighed, putting that possibility aside for now to focus on what he felt about Drent. To that effect, he stepped out into his garden, the place they first met. The sun shone down, brightening the garden to its most stunning. Steven felt calm while among his flowers, a smile permanently on his face. A blush came cover his cheeks once he laid eyes on his literal flower bed. "Would I be able to...make that fantasy come true?" He continued on, stopping beside his two tree sculptures. The border collie playing catch with a frisbee and the wyvern with the missing horn. Looking at it now, he started to really appreciate the new look. "I guess, things don't have to be perfect. To be beautiful." He recalls Drent running from him in the forest, how he 'ruined' a perfect moment. How guilty he felt once he learned the reason. Looking away from the sculptures, his gaze caught sight of the basket and sheers still sitting in front of the batch of white roses.