The Search for Amairah Ch. 04 - Conclusion

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Aryan began to feel light headed and his breathing became shallow.

"You OK, Aryan?" she asked.

Aryan was sitting on the mattress with his back against the wall with his eyes closed as blood continued to trickle down his wound.

"Talk to me Aryan!" Meera screamed.

Aryan opened his eyes briefly and closed them again.

Meera panicked. She looked around the dimly lit room. There was no furniture in the room. It was dark and dirty. In one corner, she found a tap. She rushed towards it. The heavy collar and chains around her neck made it difficult for her to move but she reached the tap and turned it on. She was relieved to find cool water flowing through the tap. She tasted it to make sure it was edible. She cupped her hands to collect some water and brought it to Aryan and slowly poured it on his lips. Aryan opened his mouth and drank the water. Meera ran back to the tap to bring more water from him. She kept going back and forth, struggling with the heavy chains till Aryan had enough water to drink.

"You OK?" Meera asked tearfully.

"Thanks Meera," he said, smiling weakly at her.

"I am sorry I brought this upon you," Meera said, "I told you not to love me...people who love me always get hurt! I am not worth this!"

"I am sorry I couldn't do more for you Meera," Aryan spoke in a weak voice, "I had this little dream, of living a life with you and Amairah, take care of you both, and our little family would live happily every after...I really wish you had escaped with Amairah, I really wish...that at least the two of you were safe..."

"NO! Aryan, no, I can't lose you!" Meera wailed, "You mean the world to me!"

Aryan said lovingly touching her face, "You are such an amazing woman, you know. So strong and brave, you Meera, are a woman worth dying for..."

Aryan's hand dropped to his side as he lost consciousness. He was still breathing but his breath was shallow. Meera broke down and cried helplessly. She wanted to bang on the heavy metal door. She tried to run towards the door but the chain held her back. She struggled with all her strength but the metal chains were too strong.

"Open the fucking door!" she screamed, "Open the fucking door! He is dying! He needs help!"

She kept on screaming but no one responded to her calls for help. She sank down on her knees and cried her heart out. And then she noticed a camera just above the door. She knelt and looked into the camera and pleaded, "Please if someone is watching, please help!"

There was still no response.

"Please...I'll do anything you say..." she begged, "Please don't let him die."

It was only after she begged over and over again, the large metal door buzzed and Armaan entered the room.

"Please," Meera said, begging on her knees, "Please save him. He is a good guy. He doesn't deserve to die. Please I beg you..."

"I will save Aryan's life," Armaan said, "If you tell me where your daughter is."

Meera was taken aback. "No...not my daughter...she had nothing to do with any of this...please..."

"The choice is between him or her, Meera, and you better decide quickly" Armaan said, "He doesn't have much time."

Meera was utterly shattered when she was asked to choose between Aryan and Amairah. She loved them both deeply.

"Fine, if you can't make a decision, both of you can die in this very room," Armaan said as he turned to leave.

Meera looked at Aryan who was unconscious.

"NO...NO...wait," Meera begged tearfully, "Save his life, I'll tell you where Amairah is."

Armaan stood before her with folded hands. Meera told him the coordinates of the house where she had asked Yasmin to take Amairah.

"She is with a woman named Yasmin," Meera said, "Yasmin is a good girl. She looked after Amairah for all these years...please don't hurt her."

Armaan signalled his men and they unlocked Aryan's collar. A team of medical professionals rushed Aryan to a makeshift operation theatre.

"If I don't find your daughter at this address," Armaan warned, "You'll never see Aryan again."

************************************

Meera lay on the dirty mattress that was now soaked with Aryan's blood. She cried silently as she was drowning in guilt for Aryan's suffering.

Soon she fell asleep. She woke up with a toddler's delicate hand touching her face. When she opened her eyes, she saw Amairah. She instantly hugged her and showered her with kisses. Amairah was afraid of the dark, but Meera's comforting touch calmed her down. Meera held her child in her arms.

The door buzzed and Armaan walked in.

Meera was terrified seeing him.

"Please..." she begged, "Let Amairah go...I know I have wronged you...but please not my child..."

"I remember I begged exactly like this," Armaan said, grabbing a chunk of Meera's hair making her wince, "But you didn't listen! You sick sadistic bitch, you enjoyed hurting Pankh even when you knew she was innocent. What kind of a woman orchestrates the rape of an innocent woman? Is that your sick definition of revenge?"

"Please...I.." Meera knew she had nothing to say in her defence. She just had to accept her fate.

"Is Aryan OK?" she asked, "Can I see him once?"

Armaan just slapped her in response.

"Please...let me see him..." Meera begged.

"Look at you, miserable piece of shit!" Armaan said bitterly, grabbing Meera's face in one hand and pressing her cheeks roughly, "Now you know what it feels like? How about I torture him to death in front of your eyes? Give you a taste of your own sick ideas?"

"Please no..." she pleaded, "Please let him go...you have me and my baby now..."

Armaan got a hold of himself and let go of her. Meera struggled to compose herself.

"Please..." Meera begged on her knees, "Aryan's freedom is my last wish...I hope you will honour it...please just let me say goodbye...please..."

Armaan took a deep breath trying to calm down. He unlocked her collar.

"Follow me," Armaan said.

Meera followed him quietly.

"He is in that room," Armaan said, "You have five minutes, if you don't come out on your own, you'll be dragged out."

Meera nodded and entered the room.

Aryan was lying on the bed, breathing quietly. His left wrist was chained to the bed. The bullet had been removed from his right shoulder and the wound was neatly sutured and bandaged. Meera sat down on the bed next to him. She ran her hands over him.

Aryan opened his eyes. He was thrilled to see Meera. He instantly sat up on his bed and hugged her.

"You OK, baby?" he asked her.

"Yes, I am fine Aryan," Meera said, "How are you feeling?"

"I think I'll live," Aryan said with a smile.

Meera locked her lips with him in a passionate kiss that was perhaps going to be her last. She held onto him so passionately, like she'd never let him go. She kissed him like she wanted to live the whole of her life in this one moment. When they broke the kiss, they looked into each other's eyes and smiled.

"Who saved me, Meera?" he asked.

"Armaan," she said with a faint smile.

"Armaan saved me?" Aryan asked with a concerned expression, "Just like that?"

Meera didn't respond. She just lowered her gaze.

"Answer me Meera!" Aryan said, shaking her violently, "Armaan didn't travel all the way here to do charity. What did he take in return?"

Meera just wept silently.

"Did you tell him where Amairah is?" Aryan asked, glaring at Meera.

"I had to choose between you and her," Meera said smiling amongst her tears, "And I chose you."

"No!" Aryan said as a tear escaped his eyes, "Why Meera? You gave up everything we fought for!"

"Not everything Aryan," Meera said lovingly touching his face, "You are most precious to me and you deserve to live. I know that Armaan will keep his word and set you free. It is my last wish and he will honour it. Besides, if he wanted you dead, he wouldn't have bothered getting that bullet out of you. He killed Qais right before he could mutilate you. I really don't know what Armaan wants, but it seems that he doesn't want to hurt you. He wants me and Amairah, and now he has us both."

"What?" Aryan gasped.

"She is with me Aryan," Meera said tearfully, "She is so beautiful...it feels so beautiful to hold her. She's got those hazel eyes that remind me of her father, his love, his kindness...his sacrifice."

"She is only a child, and now she is at Armaan's mercy..." Aryan said tearfully, "Why don't you ever listen to me Meera! Why didn't you escape with her?"

"Hey, hey, it's alright," Meera said hugging Aryan, "Amairah is going to be OK. She is going to be with me. We are going to be together forever. You remember where our money is, don't you? Take the money and go home. I'll pray that someday, you'll find an amazing girl, and you'll fall in love once again, and you'll live happily forever. I love you Aryan, I just couldn't let you die."

"You just killed me Meera!" Aryan protested, "I...I won't go anywhere without you and Amairah..."

Suddenly the door buzzed. Two men began to walk towards Meera.

"Goodbye Aryan!" she said as the men grabbed her. Aryan struggled violently with his restraints but couldn't reach her. He could only helplessly watch her being dragged away. He screamed and struggled with all his strength but he couldn't break free. He broke down and cried.

Meera was dragged and pushed into the room where Amairah was sleeping. Meera forgot all her pain when she saw her child. She gently lifted the sleeping girl in her arms and showered her with kisses. Emotion of motherhood overwhelmed her and she felt a heaviness in her breasts. A drop of milk trickled down her nipples and Meera smiled at the sleeping child in her arms.

After some time, Amairah woke up. She started crying.

"Hey baby," Meera said, "Don't be afraid, you are my strong girl. And mama is here, mama won't let anyone hurt you."

The child still didn't stop crying. Meera realized she was perhaps hungry. She put her to her breast and she began to suckle. Meera rested her back against the wall as he held her daughter in her arms. She closed her eyes and felt the beautiful bond with her child. She had craved so much for this one beautiful moment, but she finally got to live this moment only in captivity. She shuddered at the thought of what was going to happen.

"My sweet child," she said as Amairah suckled, "I could never be a good person, but I'll try to be the best mother. You will have a good life, you will go to school, you will go to college, you will get the best education, you'll grow up to be a fine woman and you will get married to the man you love, you'll have beautiful children, a family who will always love you. You won't have a rotten life like your mother. I'm here for you...I'll protect you, I'll feed you, I'll...keep you alive for as long as I can..."

Meera could not speak any further. She had never felt so helpless before. She sang a soft Arabic song, the one that Kabir loved. Amairah calmed down by her singing and drifted off to sleep.

Armaan watched Meera feed her child and sing to her till she slept. He was still unable to decide her fate. There was a raging storm in his head. Now that he knew the full extent of suffering, he had caused her, he was drowning in guilt. The very next moment, Pankhudi's tearful face flashed before his eyes and he was overwhelmed with anger.

He made a video call to Pankhudi. When she answered the phone, her smiling face instantly soothed him.

"Hey my love, now have you been?" Pankhudi asked.

"I'm good Pankh," Armaan said, "How are you? You sleep well, sweetheart?"

"I'm feeling better," Pankhudi said smiling at him, "I just miss you."

"I'm coming home soon," Armaan said, "My work here is almost done. Here, have a look."

Armaan showed Pankhudi the video from the camera in Meera's room. Pankhudi could see Meera with a sleeping child in her arms. Meera's tear streaked face clearly showed the amount of agony her impending fate was causing her.

"Is that her child?" Pankhudi asked.

"Yeah," Armaan said, "The only one she'll ever have."

"I don't know what to say honey...I.." Pankhudi said feeling sorry for Meera's condition.

"Tell me Pankh," Armaan said, "What do you want me to do? If there is anyone entitled to decide Meera's fate, it is you."

Pankhudi became quiet and thoughtful. She knew she now had the power to decide the fate of Meera and her child. Meera had caused her extreme suffering, but a life and death decision felt like a crushing burden.

Armaan allowed Pankhudi to take as much time as she needed to take a decision of such gravity. As Pankhudi continued weighing her options, Armaan got a second call from Blue Lotus Psychiatric facility.

"Pankh, allow me to call you back in a moment yeah?" Armaan said.

Pankhudi nodded and Armaan answered the second call.

"Mr. Mathur, this is Dr. Rhea again," the woman said.

"Yes doctor," Armaan said, "Any news about Neil?"

"Yes, but unfortunately, it is bad news," the doctor said, "The police have found his body today. He shot himself in his own house."

Armaan could barely process the shock.

"Mr. Mathur, are you there?" she asked.

"There was one job I entrusted you with was to stop him from killing himself," Armaan spoke bitterly, "And you told me 2 days ago, that he was getting better, are you even for real?"

"We are deeply sorry," the doctor said, "We've been looking for him everywhere since he went missing. He was last seen at his wife's parents' house where he tried to break into, perhaps he wanted to meet his children. And a few hours after that, he killed himself."

"That explains everything perfectly, thank you," Armaan spoke sarcastically.

"There is another problem," the doctor said, "The family hasn't come forth to claim the body, if you could...the police will contact you soon after the autopsy..."

"Thank you for taking the trouble to inform me," Armaan said, "I'll deal with you once I get there."

Armaan hung up. A tear ran down his eyes. The screen in front of him displayed the image of the woman who was responsible for this. He looked at her bitterly. For a moment he wanted to go in there and strangle the life out of her.

His phone rang again. It was Neil's lawyer.

"I just heard of Mr. Pereira's unfortunate death," the lawyer said, "I met with him recently regarding his hearing. But he put forth a strange request that he wanted to change his will. I really had no clue then, that it would come to this. This is really sad...but I had to speak with you regarding this new will. There are several clauses that concern you. And he also left a letter for you in a sealed envelope. When can I meet you?"

"I'm not in the country at the moment," Armaan said, "I'll meet you in person as soon as I can. In the meanwhile, could you discuss the clauses with my wife and hand over the letter to her?"

"Sure," the lawyer said, "I'll be there shortly."

"Mr. Bose, I have a question," Armaan said, "How valid is this will, considering that Neil was undergoing psychiatric treatment?"

"I've taken care of that part," the lawyer said, "I had 2 psychiatrists certify that he was in a sound state of mind when he made the will, and they are willing to testify in court, should this will be challenged. The paperwork is solid. I don't think there would be a problem with the execution of Mr. Pereira's will."

"Sure, thanks," Armaan said and hung up.

Armaan made a video call to Pankhudi once again.

"Hey hubby," Pankhudi said with a smile. Her smile faded when she noticed that Armaan was tearful. "You OK?" she asked.

"Neil's lawyer is on his way home," he said, "He wants to discuss Neil's will. And there is a letter Neil left for me. Could you please receive it?"

"Will?" Pankhudi asked, "You mean? Neil..."

Armaan just nodded tearfully.

"I needed a moment to myself Pankh," Armaan said, "Call me after you meet with the lawyer, OK?"

Pankhudi nodded and hung up.

Armaan began to remember the bitter-sweet moments of life he shared with Neil. Neil was always like his little brother. Armaan would always watch over him. Neil always respected Armaan from the bottom of his heart.

He floated into a void as he battled his grief. He didn't know how much time had passed. So many memories were flashing in front of his eyes. Armaan's train of thoughts was interrupted by Pankhudi's call.

"Hey sweetheart," Armaan said.

"I just met the lawyer," Pankhudi said, "Neil has appointed you as a legal guardian for all his properties, till his daughters attain legal age, after which everything he owns will be given to both girls equally. And there is a clause for testamentary guardianship. He has appointed you as the testamentary guardian for his daughters, that gives you a legitimate claim over the children's custody."

Armaan calmly closed his eyes processing the information.

"And there is this letter. It is sealed," Pankhudi said.

"Read it for me, Pankh," Armaan said calmly.

Pankhudi opened the envelope and began to read.

Dear Armaan,

I thank you from the depth of my heart for everything you have done for me. You've cared for me like an elder brother, tried to stop me when I was wrong and yet you did everything in your power to protect me when I didn't listen to you and messed up real bad.

I think back about the horrible things I've done. I wish I had treated Naina better. She loved me with all her heart, and I devastated her. Maybe I need to be punished for what I did, but my family didn't deserve what came their way. Aditi was the sweetest person I knew, I remember how good and kind she has been to everyone, even to Meera. But Meera didn't have the slightest hesitation having Aditi murdered. I did what I did to protect my daughters, but they hate me so much. My younger one, she still loves me, but they are punishing her for that. My elder daughter Avni, well, she doesn't want to see me, she doesn't even want to talk to me, and I am afraid Pihu will soon hate me too. Nothing is more painful than being hated by your own children.

Armaan, you have always acted for my good. I trust you, big brother, and there is no better person to take care of my estate and my children. Aditi's parents are upset and in grief at the loss of their daughter, and I take complete responsibility for that, but that doesn't give them the right to poison my children's heart against me. I've appointed you as the legal guardian for my children, because I know that you and Pankhudi will be amazing parents. Take custody of my daughters, take them away from the toxic environment they are currently in where their minds are constantly being filled with hatred. They've been through so much already. My sweet girls deserve better, they deserve love...take my girls home and end this cycle of hate once and for all.

I know you are upset that I left even when you did all you could to save me. But honestly, there wasn't much left for me anyway. My life has been damaged irreparably and I am way too messed up, you couldn't save me anyway, big brother. I really can't live a life without dignity. I'm just trying to find some peace. Forgive me, if you can. May God bless you and Pankh, and your children.

Love

Neil

A tear rolled down Armaan's cheek as she finished reading the letter.

Armaan didn't speak for a while. Losing Neil was excruciatingly painful for him.

"I am sorry my love," Pankhudi said, "I wish I could be there to hold you."

Armaan smiled with tearful eyes at her sweet remark.

"You OK with Neil's decision Pankh?" Armaan asked, "Would you be OK taking care of his daughters?"

"It is an honor that he chose us," Pankhudi said, "I would love to look after his daughters...sweet girls, they've been through so much, if I could bring a little joy to their lives, nothing could make me happier."

Armaan smiled. Then he looked at the screen showing Meera with her child. His face was now clouded with anger.