The Silver Stars

Story Info
Would the stars lead a man to this wise woman?
8.9k words
4.75
16.7k
19
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The end of the year in Australia is almost mid-Summer. Whilst many people celebrate Christmas following European traditions with hot lunches, the common theme is usually getting together with family and friends, sharing gifts and catching up whilst drinking white wine in the sun.

This story is set in the Australian countryside where, alas, there is no opportunity to spend Christmas at the beach building sandcastles instead of snowmen, instead, our heroine may receive a gift she was not expecting!

~*~*~*~*~

The sun peeped through my timber venetian blinds and Dylan my cat nudged my head with his demanding more food in his almost full bowl. Checking my phone, I saw it was not even six, but I knew there was little chance of more sleep.

I shook Dylan's bowl as I entered the kitchen, covering the bottom therefore making him believe it was not near empty and flicked the switch on the kettle to make a pot of tea. Today was technically the last workday of the year. I was required at school late morning and only for a potluck lunch where the principal would again thank all of us teachers and wish us well over the Summer break. I needed the break. I loved my job teaching high school English, but I also recognised my life needed more.

It was going to be another hot one, so I took my mug of tea outside and watered my herb and vegetable garden. Whereas half a dozen or so of my colleagues would be transferring back to various cities I had chosen to put down roots in this small regional town arguing there was nothing for me back there. With the chooks fed and watered and three eggs collected I hung my hat on the hook near the back door and reminded myself I needed to oil the fly screen which creaked every time it opened or shut.

Pouring another cup of tea, I opened my laptop and scanned my emails. There were plenty of advertisements for the ideal Christmas gifts for the special people in your life and I was glad I could simply delete them, happy in the knowledge I did not have to buy for anyone. I was now an orphan as such. An only child whose mum had died from breast cancer when I was 16 and whose father had drunk himself into an early grave almost 5 years ago.

I had left school not knowing what I wanted to be when I grew up. I enrolled in an Arts degree at university majoring in English literature and Creative Writing and loved being able to escape into books and stories and ultimately receive a degree for this. I worked part-time as an editor for a small publishing house near the university but found the work dull and decided I could not see myself doing it for the next however many years. I completed a master's in education and for the last 9 years I have taught English and Literature to high school students.

Even though I majored in literature, at university I discovered erotic fiction and for eleven or twelve years I have dabbled in putting pen to paper to arouse and bring pleasure to readers. Of course, I have used a pseudonym and have managed to stay anonymous for all this time, however I now have constant feelings of being a total fraud. I've only ever had one boyfriend, Tom, and that relationship was lacklustre and not at all worthy of an erotic story of its own.

Flicking further through my emails I came across one from a fan who bemoaned that her life was so boring compared to one of the heroines I had written about.

'I can't believe that there would be men out there who could be as a sweet and sincere as Edwin and literally understand Jacinta's past and offer her a steady prospect for her future. I mean, you describe Jacinta as my dream woman- established in a career of her own and sexually experienced. Your descriptions of the threesome with the couple she met at the bar was so amazing and yet she knew it was just sex and was willing to explore her sexuality, happy to be without a partner until she met Edwin. You don't know how many times I've got off reading about J's sex life and wishing it was my own! And now, at chapter 19 to have her falling in love with Edwin and him being so perfect for her, it just, well, I wish I had your sexual history to be able to draw on with these things. I suppose living in the inner city you must be used to picking up guys in bars. Anyway, I've rambled too much, but I so love your writing and you give me hope there is an Edwin out there for me!'

How could I reply to this fan telling her that my life was nothing like what I wrote about, that my one and only boyfriend did not rock my world in bed, never made me orgasm, and only ever wanted sex in one position, barely lasting for more than a minute or two? Tom was another teacher at the school I was at and it was easier to stay with him until the end of the school year than to break up after a few weeks. To be fair, he was the first man who ever showed any interest in me and I was sick of being a 23-year-old virgin.

'Thanks so much for your kind words! The last chapter in this series should be published in the next week or so. I knew Jacinta wouldn't settle for anyone less than she deserves and I'm glad you agree Edwin is worthy of her love. I enjoy writing about strong female characters who love sex- I mean, what's not to love about sex really, right? Anyway, glad to hear from you, JustJaynexx'

To escape from Tom, I asked for a transfer to the country. Having a couple of years of experience under my belt it was readily granted as most people looking to 'go bush' were new graduates. It also helped me escape from my alcoholic father.

Settling into country life was easy. I had always been a loner and enjoyed living by myself in a small house provided by the Education Department. Not wanting another experience like I had had with Tom, I told people I had a partner back in town who couldn't transfer to the country. Word spread that I was unavailable, and I was left alone. It wasn't as if there weren't men that caught my eye, but I wanted to focus on my work and in my spare time I created Jacinta and some other characters and wrote about their sexual exploits.

I had read a lot of erotic stories myself and used similar descriptions to others figuring that portrayals of anal sex and the like were not that difficult to dream up, even if I was only imagining the sensations. Even though I had never practiced them, I lived vicariously through Jacinta and simply wished I could have had half the experiences she did. My pseudonym, 'JustJaynexx' had a fictional about section on my profile and apologised for delays in publishing chapters due to conferences I was organising and the pressures of the marketing world in Sydney where I worked. I also hinted that I was doing more research to bring more adventures to Jacinta and my other characters. If only people realised this research was simply reading other erotic writing and sadly, not personal experience with someone rocking my world.

People had bought this. It was only now at the end of the school year, when I would have seven weeks without students, and I had not planned on taking a vacation that I felt lonely. I had finished the final chapter in Jacinta's tale and had a few other draft stories I thought I'd work through and possibly publish over the break, or at least put on hold so I could ensure I published a story every month the following year.

I had given Jacinta her happily ever after and yet I wondered how happy I really was in my life. Sure, I was head of the English and humanities department at our regional school, I owned a cottage a few kilometres out of town where I had a lovely garden, ran chickens and had the company of Dylan, the black shorthaired cat I had adopted as a kitten a few years ago. Last Summer holiday I had trekked in Nepal. Other holidays I had travelled to other South-East-Asian countries and had wonderful experiences and yet there was definitely something missing from my life. I knew I did not need a man to complete me or be my other half, but I liked the idea of having a best friend I could talk about my day with, hopefully one I was sexually compatible with.

Grabbing the quiche I had made the night before for our pooled lunch, and a dozen eggs I had promised my colleague Margie, I headed into school.

"Oh, Erin! You are a doll!" Margie kissed me on the cheek as I gave her the eggs, "I'm behind on Christmas and only just baking the cake and knowing it has your eggs in it will help hide the lack of maturity it would usually have."

"Always pleased to supply eggs for you, you know that. Make sure you give it some extra brandy too of course!"

"Naturally!" Margie laughed, "Did you hear Jeremy from the bank, his divorce has come through."

"Thanks Margie, but to be honest, I find him pretty boring."

I knew I was no oil painting, and never wanted to judge people based on their looks, but Jeremy looked as dull as his personality came across. We had been on a team at a trivia night a few months back and he had spent most of the evening telling me about his model train collection, only stopping to complain that one of the answers was wrong and even after others at our table had pulled out their phones and shown him that he was incorrect, he still insisted that the internet was mistaken and it was all fake news anyway.

"Ah! Miss Marshall!" I had been cornered by John, our deputy principal, "Heading to the city for Christmas to see that fellow of yours?"

"Ah, no. We ended things last September," I lied.

"What a shame, and that lovely Chris Hamilton is heading back to the city, you two would have made a lovely couple. I did hear Jeremy from the bank, well, his divorce is finally through."

"Thanks John, but I'm happy by myself for a bit."

"Now you won't be alone for Christmas, will you? Our lovely church has a service at 7 on Christmas Eve for the littlies and 9 on Christmas Morning. We'd love to see you there."

John was an elder in his church and always pushing for colleagues to attend.

"I do have plans already, John, but thanks for the offer."

"Erin, can I borrow you for a minute?" I was so glad my friend Tammy had seen John badgering me.

Tammy was head of science and we worked closely together despite our different disciplines. She was a few years older than me and had children in the local primary school where her husband, Dale, taught. They really were a lovely couple and had a relationship and family I could only aspire to.

"Thanks Tam! You are a lifesaver! I have no plans on ever going to John's church and spending Christmas with him would be, well, I can think of better options!"

"So, what are you doing for Christmas then? I wish we didn't have to travel to family this year."

"I'm having a quiet one with Dylan! Don't worry about me- I've never been a huge Christmas person anyway."

"I saw the résumé of one of the new teachers for next year- he included a photo and he is hot-diggity!"

"Thanks Tam," I sighed, "But you know I don't date teachers and you know why!"

"I know, but I just want to see you happy!"

"This is me being happy!"

"OK then. Now we don't heave until Monday so please, dinner with us tomorrow night, just a barbecue, I'll let you bring a salad and dessert if you want!"

Tammy knew of my love of cooking. The only thing I did miss about spending Christmas with others was cooking large amounts of food for people.

I discovered Dale had invited a colleague from the primary school and Tammy convinced me it was not a set up for the two of us, so I turned up at the appointed time with a salad that predominantly came from my garden and a pavlova.

It was such a fun night. I discovered Jimmy, our other dining companion, honestly did have a girlfriend back in the city and he was planning on proposing to her over Christmas. With Daylight Saving, the sun did not set until late, but our conversation flowed long after Dale had put the kids to bed, and I found myself driving home in the dark.

I purposefully chose to live out of town. Sure, there is a farmhouse a couple of kilometres up the road, but at night there is no light pollution taking away from my sky views and it is quiet. I sang the Australian Christmas carol to myself that my mother used to sing to me as a child,

"The silver stars are in the sky,

The red-gold moon goes riding high..."

As I neared the turnoff to the road I lived on, I saw someone holding a torch examining a motorbike.

"You ok?" I asked rolling down my window but staying in my car.

"Not really. I've blown a tyre. I meant to get here hours ago, and this is the end to a pretty shitty few days actually."

"Have you booked somewhere to stay in town?"

"I was going to pitch my tent in the caravan park. Fuck! I'm sorry. I'm just angry with myself. Sorry, my name's Lachy, well, Lachlan really."

"I'm Erin. Look, it's about 2 k's into town, and my cottage is just up this road a bit. You can't camp on the side of the road here because big trucks come through all night. See the bus shelter just over there, that's where the farm kids catch the bus to school. Push your bike next to it. It should be safe there. I could drive you to the caravan park, but why don't you just come up and camp in my yard?"

As soon as I had offered this, I wondered why in the heavens I had. It was a lovely BMW motorcycle and Lachy was dressed in full protective gear. I did not have a chance to look at him well, but he did not give off mass murderer vibes.

"Um, are you sure? It's not like your hubby will mind?"

"No, there is no hubby and I'm just soft hearted! Plus, it's easier to drive you to mine instead of heading back in and out of town again. You don't look like you're the head of a bikie gang."

"No, not exactly. More like your middle-aged man with a mid-life crisis. Some guys choose the convertible, I chose the bike."

Lachy pushed the bike where I had directed and clipped off the panniers and top box. He stowed them and a backpack he had been wearing in my boot and climbed in the passenger door. It was now I got a good look at him. He looked to be possibly in his mid 30s, maybe even a little older, with dark hair that he kept quite short and short stubble around his mouth and on his chin.

"Thank-you Erin, I really do appreciate this kindness. Perhaps it's true what they say about country folk being hospitable and all that."

It was now I saw Lachy's smile and noticed his smile made me smile too. Pulling into my driveway I indicated several places he could pitch his tent. I explained there was a toilet in the laundry outside he was welcome to use, and he could even shower in the morning if he wanted to.

"Of course, I also have a spare room you are welcome to stay in instead of camping, it's no trouble."

"Thanks, but I think I'll simply roll out my swag over here tonight. I'm tired after a long ride today. It's a stunning night, I mean, look at those stars, they seem to go on forever."

~*~*~*~*~

I was awake early again the following morning and went about my routine wearing the short shorts and singlet I slept in. I brewed a pot of tea, slipped on my work boots, put on my hat and went to water the garden and let the chooks out. I had all but forgotten about my unexpected guest.

"Oh, Charlotte, Emily and Anne! Who has given me the extra egg? You are good girls!" I told my chooks as I gathered four eggs.

"Um, morning." I heard a voice behind me and almost dropped the eggs, "What did you say their names were?"

"Charlotte, Emily and Anne after the Brontë sisters."

"Oh yeah, Pride and Prejudice and that?"

"No, that's Jane Austen. Like Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights!"

"Here, pass me the eggs. Want me to cook you an omelette for breakfast?"

"You think you're a bit of a cook now, do you? Nah, leave it to me."

"Sorry, I didn't mean to... really, my bad. I shouldn't have intruded. So, if I walk back down this road, I'll get to the highway then?"

"Wait, Lachy, sorry. My friend Dale who I was having dinner with last night, he rides a bike just like yours- want me to give him a ring and see if he can help with the tyre?"

"Thanks. I, um, well foolishly I usually carry a repair kit, but I didn't replace the canisters, plus I think it's more than a little puncture. I'll probably have to walk it into town or something."

"Let me ring Dale, ok. He's got a trailer and I know he'd like to help."

"He's, um, not going to get shitty that I stayed out here with you last night and want to punch my lights out?"

"Nah, I think his wife, Tammy will be interested to hear about you though." I said with a smile.

I showed Lachy where the shower was and gave him a towel and told him I'd make a start on breakfast. Snipping some herbs from the garden, I saw my neighbour, Joe pull up.

"You right, Erin? I see someone's left a bike by the bus shed."

"Yeah, I found him last night and let him camp here. He blew a tyre. I'm going to get Dale to have a look at it for him."

"Oh, well, I see." Joe was an older man and I could see he was embarrassed that I had entertained a man at my cottage.

"Yeah, his swag's over there behind the shed. I've only just shown him where the shower is and come out to pick some herbs for our omelettes. He seems nice enough, but thanks for worrying."

No sooner had Joe left again when Lachy appeared from the bathroom cuddling Dylan who had taken an instant shine to him.

"My neighbour, Joe, I think he was off to church, well he doubled back to check I was ok when he found your bike!"

"I'm sorry again. I'll be out of your hair later today."

'Honestly, it's no bother. Dylan seems to like you, plus, most places are closed being Sunday."

"I hadn't thought of that. Um, I bought my coffee supplies, would you like a cup? I'm pretty serious when it comes to coffee."

Lachy produced a hand grinder, scales, beans and special coffee press for brewing coffee. He poured two cups and I agreed how amazing it was.

"I usually have a cup of tea when I wake up and grab a brew on the way to school. It means I miss out on weekends, but this is great." I offered enthusiastically.

"Let me brew you another cup while you make the omelettes then."

I took our breakfasts out onto the patio and Lachy brought more coffee out.

"So, school-- you're a teacher?"

"Yeah, I'm head of English and humanities at the local High School. I've been here almost four years now. I taught a few hundred K's out west for a few years and moved here when I got the head position. It's nice being only a day's drive from the city, not that I get there much anymore. What about you? What made your week so bad?"

"Well," Lachy laughed, "I'm not sure where I should start."

"It's ok, you don't have to share."

"Beautiful omelette; nice balance of chives, parsley and basil."

"You do know your herbs then!"

"Ah, yeah. I'm actually a chef."

"Oh shit! I'm sorry, I should have let you cook then."

"Actually, no, it's lovely having someone cook for me. It's been a long time."

I let Lachy sit and think as we sipped our coffees. Eventually he gathered our plates and told me he would wash up. I took the time to call Dale and explain the situation. He said he'd be out just after lunch with a trailer and would take the bike into town and leave it behind the local garage.

~*~*~*~*~

Lachy had walked down to check on his bike and found me at my laptop when he returned.

"I thought the school year was finished- don't you ever stop?"

"Oh, no, this is pleasure. I write short stories."

"Cool! You'll have to show me some."

The thought of sharing my writing with Lachy saw me close my laptop with a thud.

"They're not that good. I don't think you'd like them."

"Fair enough. So, um, I was wondering, I mean, I could go and stay in the caravan park tonight if you wanted."

"Well, I mean, if you want to. I know my company is not that scintillating..."

"Oh no, I mean, I really like it here. It's so peaceful and calming."