The Siren

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Housebound, she was slowly but surely becoming good company. Plus, our interests converged, to her and my pleasant surprise. We had almost identical tastes.

The changes extended to school too.

The first thing she did was to make sure that everyone knew she was commuting with me. She entered and exited my car in front of everybody. This shocked quite a lot of people, me included, as I still was the outcast and she still was the beauty queen of the school.

Then, the classes. She started sitting beside me. Sometimes, if she was bored, she would write something on a little piece of paper and give it to me. We would thus have a little communication line of our own, and it was fun. And of course, it was noticed by our classmates, who started getting really curious about this new dynamic. I started getting glances from girls that never gave me a glance before. And some of the guys started interacting with me as well. This was new to me, but it was a pleasant change in the overall scheme of things.

The school cafeteria was another revelation. She asked me if I wanted to sit with her friends. I told her that I didn't really like at least some of them, but she was free to do whatever she liked. What she chose to do was a surprise to me. She started sitting at the same table as I. Some of her friends, the ones not afraid to be at the same table as the killer of Emory, started coming too. They were OK; some even gave me glances. Some of the guys that tried to befriend me also started sitting near us. It was as if a new dynamic was happening in school, centered around the two of us. Whatever that was.

She also asked me to stay at her practice. Officially, the idea was for me to protect her, in case some shit happened again. However, she seemed particularly happy for me to be there. She tried her very best when I was present. That extended to competitions as well.

At home, she started to invite me to watch films together. She started calling friends over to our house, and she always included me in as well. Sometimes I would leave them alone, as they were a group of females that wanted to engage in girl-talk, but I never felt cut off. A very delicate balance, but she kept it.

Somehow and in a space of just a few short months, Nadine was fast becoming what Beth had described: a very sweet, thoughtful person. She also tried to be near me as large of a portion of the full day as humanly possible. Of course I was glad for all this. However, the tough thing for me was that I had a soft spot for her. But I tried not to misunderstand things. She felt gratitude for me saving her. I wouldn't ever take advantage of that. On the other hand, I would lie if I said that I didn't find our interaction pleasurable. She was sharp as a whip and had a sense of humor that was on par with mine, very dark, razor sharp and merciless. We were fast becoming friends in the true sense of the word. I did not kid myself, I knew that I was falling for her pretty bad. But that was my problem to fix.

Things started changing once again during the summer before senior year. We all went to a resort near the sea. It was a truly happy time for me. She literally spent the entire day glued around me. I found that particularly curious, since men of all ages literally threw themselves at her feet. She didn't seem to care one bit. On the other hand, she was getting increasingly impatient if I was supposed to be somewhere and I wasn't on time. It was always a matter of 'I had to fend off x number of morons when you were doing y or z'.

One day when she was in the shower, Beth came. She asked if she could talk to me for a moment. Of course I said sure.

"Ever since the incident, Nadine has changed dramatically in how she sees you in her life. I am so happy because she did what you said. She put the work, she changed the dynamic. I am so happy for you two. However, I think that there is something else here as well."

"What do you mean by that, Beth?" I asked her.

"Bobby, you know she cares about you a lot, right? I mean, the only thing she talks about all day is you. Bobby this, Bobby that. I even talked to a couple of her friends, and they all say the same thing. There is no other topic of discussion. Do you understand what that means, Bobby?" she asked me, with an inquisitive look.

"I... I dunno Beth. I know that she means the world to me and I... I care about her a lot. But I don't understand what you are getting at."

"Oh God, men. The denser sex. Bobby, I think she loves you."

"Well, I love her too. She is incredible, and I deeply care for her. We even have similar interests and outlooks on life. She is truly my best friend I think, not that I have that many friends anyway."

"Bobby. I know you love each other. You have both proved it time and time again. I am not saying that. I am saying something else. Nadine, I think, is in love with you. And if I understand correctly, you are also in love with her. Am I right?"

My knees gave way, I had to catch myself not to fall.

"It is that obvious?" I asked her.

"Well, let's say that I, your dad, her friends, we all pretty much know it. The only ones that don't are probably she and you."

I had no wind left in my sails. I took a deep breath.

"Beth, I am so sorry. I never intended for it to happen. But can you really blame me? I mean, she is truly amazing. She is the best. I dunno, I... I actually admire her. So much. She is incredible. I can't help it. But I will never do something to risk her happiness or well-being. I made a promise. I intend to keep it," I told her.

"Bobby, you are not listening. I said that both of you are in love with each other. That also means her. So, the question is not about you alone. The question is about you two. What intentions do you have?" she asked me.

"I don't know what to say, Beth. I am a bit dizzy right now, it is a sensory overload type of news. First of all, are you sure? Have you talked?"

"We women know. We just do. She has a look when she talks about you or looks at you. As you with her. Are you sure of your feelings for her?"

"I am. I am totally in love with her. Have been so for some time now. She is all I can think about. But are you sure of her feelings for me?"

"I haven't discussed the issue, but I think I don't even need to. I am pretty certain that she is in love with you. I know my daughter, and I have never seen her like that before."

" But... but...what can I do? I mean, she is my stepsister now. How can we do anything? Isn't there a law against that sort of thing?" I asked her.

"Not really, not everywhere and most definitely not in this state, especially with your circumstances. You are not genetically linked. You have only known each other for a few years and have been under the same roof for less than a year. You are a very good-looking young man with a heart of gold and you have protected her from harm, and she is stunning, not that she is my daughter. It is only natural for you to develop feelings for each other. What I am trying to say here is, I am happy with it."

"Y... you are?" I asked very surprised.

"Yes, Bobby, I am fine with it. She has found the absolute best possible man to be with. You love her unconditionally. You protect her. You cherish and support her. You always are afraid of smothering her, and are considering her in every thought. Plus, your genes are golden, if I may say so myself!" she said with a laugh.

"I don't... know what to say..." I stammered.

"Bobby, I am the one to say this. I am fine with whatever you guys decide to do. But if you ended up a couple, I would be absolutely delighted. My two most favorite human beings together? Nothing can beat that!"

"What about dad?" I asked.

"He is fine with it as well. We are totally fine with whatever you decide to do. No problem from our side. This will strictly be your decision. I don't even have to tell you to treat her well. I know you will. I am really happy!" she said and hugged me.

At that moment Nadine got out of the shower with a towel around her hair. She looked like the best possible version of a sexy female maharajah wearing blue shorts and a pink top.

"What is happening here, mom?" asked Beth a playful Nadine. "Are you two conspiring against me?"

"Your mom just told me that a friend of hers wants me to go on a blind date with her daughter. We were discussing about that just now!" I lied, desperately trying not to laugh.

"WHAT? Mom, are you crazy? Who is it? What is this?" said Nadine, ready to explode.

"You said she is pretty hot, right Beth?" I said, continuing the charade.

"She truly is stunning, isn't she?" answered a smiling Beth. She was talking about her own daughter, but the latter didn't know that.

"Who is that bitch?!" cried a visibly upset Nadine. "What are you doing here, mom?"

"Tell her, Beth. After all, you know her better than I," I said.

"Bobby, you are evil!" said Beth before laughing. "We did nothing, Nadine, really. He is just making fun."

"Bobby you shit! I'll get you!" said a relieved but also half-angry Nadine and started chasing me around the tables. I let her catch me.

"Why did you do that stupid thing just now, huh?" she asked me.

"I just wanted to tease you. I wouldn't do anything like that, really. I have you in my life, and that is all I need, Nadine. You are all I need," I said, looking her in the eye.

A tear escaped her eye. She looked at me... dare I say lovingly? Yes, lovingly.

"You are all I need in my life too, you Dufus! Never forget that, you hear?" she said and hugged me. I hugged her back. I was happy.

The rest of the holidays run smoothly. Nadine and I were very good with each other, together most of the time. I let her dictate the pace, and so far we were fine. Not officially a couple, but I believe we both acknowledged how important she was in my life and I in hers.

Usually the day one returns home from vacation is a sad day. In my case it was the happiest day of my life up till that time. We were together at the back seat of the car, and she put her head on my lap for the duration. I caressed her face, her hair, her hands. At one point, just to test the waters, I removed my hand from her. She opened her eyes wide, took my hand and put it back at where it was. Then closed her eyes and smiled.

Was I in love? I would die a happy man then and there. Yes, I was hopelessly in love with her. But I was still insecure about her feelings.

**********************************************

Life at home was beautiful. Up till the beginning of the school year, we were together almost all the time. We would watch films together, she snuggled up to me. She would be in my room or me in hers or both of us at the same part of the house.

On the Friday prior to our return to school, as we were snuggled together, she said:

"Bobby, I want to ask you a question."

"Sure."

"Are you happy?"

I thought long and hard. She looked at me with wide eyes and an expectant expression.

"I believe I can safely say that... I am. Yes, I am happy."

She smiled.

"Nadine, I believe I am as happy as I am because of you."

She looked at me with a loving expression and misty eyes.

"I need to tell you something. I have wanted to say all this for a while now, but I respected you way too much to bother you with my... matters. But I feel we are close enough for me to finally unload my burden. May I?"

"Of course, Bobby! You can tell me anything!" she said.

"I don't know if I should say this, really. I am here to support you, not to burden you. I don't want to..."

"What are you talking about, Bobby? What are you, my bodyguard? You are the very best man I have ever met! You know that all my friends have a crush on you? You could pick any one of them and take her on a date if you just move your little finger. Of course, I would proceed to scratch the eyes out of the bitch!" she said, playfully elbowing me. "Bobby, I want you to share your feelings with me. You said that I am all you need, didn't you?" she asked me.

"That's true. You are all I need. It doesn't have to be the same for you, though. I mean..."

"I've already told you it is the exact same for me. Now, go on!" she said.

"OK" I said and took a deep breath. "When I first met you, I saw God's most beautiful creature alive. And then I saw how you treated other people, and I hated that."

She looked at me wide-eyed.

"Please, let me finish. Well, I saw that you behaved as a spoiled little brat, and I hated your guts. You probably had already heard of my stint at Emory and probably thought I was Ted Bundy's trainer or something."

She laughed heartily with that one.

"When you showed up with Beth, I got the shock of a lifetime. I mean, what are the odds? Two people that hated each other's guts, under the same roof... Anyway, I digress. The first weeks were not good. We had a talk with your mom, and she asked me to protect you and give you time. She knew you were through a phase, and she was afraid that something might happen to you. Of course I told her something that was already true. No matter if we hated each other's face, I was going to protect you at all costs. You know why?"

"Why?" asked a tearful Nadine.

"Because, under all the bullshit lies the truth. And the truth is that I would rather die than have you suffer."

Nadine started sobbing. I hugged her and she me. I could feel her tears on my hands.

"When the incident happened with the three motherfuckers, I tried my best for you not to know what happened, because I wanted to protect you, but not just from them. I also wanted to protect your soul from their intentions. But that bastard Stu was so scared that he came and spit everything out. The dipshit..."

She cried, grabbing me and trembling.

"I only wanted you not to suffer. But I failed. You did suffer..." I said, and a tear left my eye.

She cried openly, and I comforted her.

"After that horrible thing, you alone changed the dynamic in our relationship. You made so many things shine in my life. You put the color back to a black-and-white movie that it was. You let me feel again, Nadine. You let me feel again. You have no idea how grateful I am for your existence in my life."

She wailed and sobbed. I just hugged her and caressed her.

"I have come to cherish all the time we spend together. I have also come to the inescapable conclusion that I have many layers of feelings for you. For one, I love you."

She gripped me with all her strength while crying.

"I love you enough to want to kill anyone and anything that poses a threat to you. I loved you even when I hated you. The love runs deeper. It washed away the hate and brought more love in its place. The other layer that I feel for you is... love again, but different. I love you Nadine, meaning I am in hopeless, desperate love with you. I see you in my dreams, and long to see you during my waking hours. I don't want to live without you. You are all I think about."

She had a death grip now.

"This is my burden. I am sorry if you feel I betrayed your trust, but you asked me what I feel. So, there." I said and let her calm down. She never let me move, the death grip held on. After a short while, when she had control of her faculties, she unglued herself from me, and looked me in the eye.

"Bobby, I am happy too. What you thought a burden is my salvation. I love you too, so much. I am in desperate, hopeless love with you too. I can't live without you. All I am thinking about all day is you. I can't control it. You are my perfect man. My friends even told me so, you know."

"Really?" I asked.

"Yes, but don't get any ideas -- you are off limits to those hoes! We had those stupid tests in Cosmo. It had a questionnaire about the perfect man. Every one of my friends described someone like you, or at least the part of you that they knew. Then I started describing my perfect man too. It was you to such a detail that they wouldn't believe. They just looked at me in awe. They knew. We all hugged and cried after that one. It was then that I realized that the perfect man for me is under the same roof."

She looked at me in the eye.

"Bobby, I love you more than you'll ever know. I don't want to live if you are not in my life."

I hugged her and she me.

"I have talked with our folks. I think they knew already, and they are OK with us doing anything we chose to do. For one, I know exactly what I want. I want us to be a couple. Till the end," she said.

I could literally touch happiness.

"I want the same. I want to be with you until the day I die. I love you, Nadine."

"I love you too, Bobby" she said, and kissed me.

So that is what paradise is all about.

******************************************************

Nadine made sure everybody in school knew we were an item. She kissed me every chance she got. She staked her claim and made sure everyone knew that we belonged together. It was a small shock to most people, as some knew that we lived together, but in general they let it slide. Maybe because they knew what happened if they crossed me, or because they needed to be in Nadine's good graces. In any case, nobody bothered us on or off campus.

We did not consummate our relationship until we both were legal adults, after our birthdays, and at ease with the idea. That didn't mean that we weren't horny, of course. But we were each other's first, and with all the feelings we had for each other, we took it slow. It was worth it. When we started making love, it was the natural evolution of a love utterly deep and pure. Making love was... divine. No words. It deepened our bond and made us long for each other even more.

I didn't want us to separate in College, nor did she. We applied to the same schools, and when acceptance letters came, we had a nice surprise. The best for both of us was UPenn, and we were both accepted. She was to study Psychology while I was to aim for a double degree in Computer Science and Computer Engineering.

That summer before we were to go to uni, was without a shadow of a doubt, the best time in my life. I had two whole months to spend with the love of my life. And they were perfect. We went around the country hiking, driving, by train or by sea. A true dream.

When the freshman year started, we rented our own room, thanks to our folks back home. There was nothing more perfect than having a beautiful relationship with the love of my life while studying what I loved. I cannot even describe my happiness. We had created a circle of friends, but we as a couple always came first.

The first two years were a bliss. Then shit happened.

******************************************************

The warning signs started coming beginning junior year, when Nadine joined a group of friends that I tool a dislike to immediately. Girls that had a reputation - and when I say reputation, I mean a ton of reputation. Hell, two of them had auditioned for porn, i.e. fucked some porn-star on camera! And these harpies were her new friends. I tried to talk to her about that, but she refused to even go there. Her friends were suddenly off limits. That alone was a huge red flag. And I did see it, but loved prevailed. To me at least.

Come to think of it, we were a couple since seniors in high school, and for two beautiful and a progressively shittier half year as a college couple. As two young, fit and heavily into each other individuals, we'd had a very healthy love life until that time. Suddenly, she started becoming distant and irritable at pretty much everything. It did not happen overnight, but the progression was quick nevertheless. It was as if she was driving a wedge between us on purpose. I couldn't really understand what was going on. I tried talking to her about it, but to no avail. Whenever I broached the subject, she basically exploded, blaming me for being paranoid and for 'smothering her'. Our relationship was becoming more distant, and instead of the passionate lovemaking we used to have, we would have rarer and rarer sexual interactions, and she wasn't really into it.