The Sky Kingdom Ch. 23

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"From her own brother? You know I would have protected her," I added, feeling the indignity of not knowing I'd had a sister for half my life.

"Exactly, it's not fair! He says he wants to be in my life, and I told you I always wanted to meet him, but you never let me. You even took Nat away or Scarlett or whatever you now say her name is." Lizzie continued as tears came to her eyes.

I was surprised to see my mother lost for words at the hurt in Lizzie's tone. Scarlett seemed to realise the same and stepped in.

"She didn't send me away, Lizzie. I had to go away...to study, but now I'm back and staying with your brother. You will see a lot more of us from now on." She finished glancing my way to get confirmation of my matching intention.

"But you were like the big sister I've never had. The best thing about the Solstice was that we would all stay together, but then you disappeared and didn't even write." Lizzie added, becoming increasingly upset in her oblivious innocence about where Scarlett had really been.

It struck me at that moment that they were half-sisters through their father, yet both were oblivious to their mutual connection. I wondered if that is why they seemed to be subconsciously so close and decided then that I would find the right moment to tell Scarlett and let her decide if she wanted Lizzie to know.

"Lizzie, come here," Scarlett said caringly, drawing Lizzie into a tight hug and bringing her down from her chair, "I'm not going anywhere and will be living in the capital with your brother," she said pointedly, giving my mother a look, "who wants to get to know you as much as you do him." She continued placatingly while my mother kept silent in the background.

Scarlett looked up at me with a determined look waiting for my response.

"I promise that we'll come back here often, and we can get to know each other properly," I added, and the combination of our promises seemed to mollify her for the moment.

"I've missed you Nat-Nat," Lizzie replied innocently, "and I've missed you too Lu-Lu," Scarlett responded as the two shared a tender moment, and I felt a deep warmth of love and affection radiating through our bond.

I didn't see her gesture, but a lady entered and approached the table.

"Elizabeth, that's more than enough excitement for one evening. It's time for you to go with your governess and begin getting ready for bed." My mother stated as her composure returned.

The governess pried a still visibly upset Lizzie from Scarlett's arms and took her hand to lead her from the room.

"Will you truly come and visit me?" Lizzie asked quietly after stopping beside my seat.

"I promise. I can't promise when but we will visit you as often as possible!" I replied genuinely.

What proceeded afterwards was an awkward silence, with Scarlett returning to her seat. This continued after the servants returned with a course of cheese, fruit and biscuits, as it seemed no one wanted to continue the previous conversation.

"Scarlett, my dear, were you going to ask Henry something?" My mother eventually stated steering the conversation.

"Yes, Your Highness," Scarlett replied begrudgingly, only to get a weary look from my mother at the use of her title.

I could see she was carefully formulating her words. "Henry, will you please take me riding tomorrow morning?" She then asked stiffly.

"Horses? I didn't know you liked to ride." I replied, intrigued.

"Yes, horses! I didn't mean that I want to ride you," she replied in a jokey whisper that somehow reached the ears of the servants, and I heard audible gasps. "Not that we can't do that as well...if that's what you want." She then nervously blurted out, going bright red at the realisation her words had carried. I felt her mortification through the bond as she looked up to see the servants trying to hide their shock.

"Scarlett." My mother stated firmly, "That's enough!"

She gestured to the servants, who left immediately while a worrying look of determination built on Scarlett's face.

"No, I belong with him. I should be by his side serving him." She replied forcefully, staring back at my mother.

"No, he took advantage of your vulnerable state. Either we need to break your bond, or he will make a decent woman of you."

"That's not true. I seduced and manipulated him. I used everything they taught me and tricked him into liking me. It would be better if I served him as a Font instead."

"He knows better than to let a trained courtesan take advantage. You know your bond won't be complete until you come into your magic and link together."

I was shocked to hear more about our bond, but I would like to see any man resist the charms of my stunning goddess.

"None of this is your fault, my dear, and we have months to break you out of this mindset. You are not a slave, Scarlett. The two of you will be married." She finished forcefully.

"No, that's not fair. I tricked him, and he deserves better. Just let me serve him and find some foreign princess to marry him too."

I wasn't sure at what stage I'd been tricked. All I knew was that this woman was someone I couldn't live the rest of my life without.

"Scarlett, I've told you that is enough." My mother declared in a calm but forthright manner. "This is not the time or place for this discussion. We will speak about this privately and away from prying ears once Henry has returned to his suite."

Tension remained in the air, and we sat in continued silence. I found myself looking at Scarlett as we stole glances at one another, and I wondered what was going through her mind and felt her increasing determination and nervousness through our bond. My mother tried to engage us both in conversation, but there was a sense that something important had been left unsaid throughout. Eventually, my mother excused both of them formally, and Scarlett stood to leave. I took the opportunity to slip alongside her.

"I would be honoured to marry you, Scarlett," I whispered privately.

She immediately flicked her eyes up to meet mine.

"Master, you can't just say that sort of thing. You don't know what that means." She blurted loudly in response giving us away.

"Henry, I am glad you are willing to rectify things honourably. But this is not the time or place, and I need to escort Scarlett back to her room," she added before pausing with the clear indication that I needed to leave.

"Please just let me go with him. It's where I need to be." Scarlett replied with evident emotion, and I felt her heartbreak through our bond.

My mother didn't reply, and they both held each other's gaze in what soon became a staring match.

"My lady, we will spend tomorrow together, so why don't you take the opportunity to have a quiet night's rest," I stated in an attempt to break the ice.

"That's an excellent plan," my mother concurred in a pleasant tone, "but from now on, the two of you will be chaperoned at all times when you are together."

Scarlett gave me a pained look, and I felt equal sorrow at the distance my mother was trying to put between us. Scarlett soon relented and traipsed out of the door and off to the family wing, and I was left alone in the room.

Returning to my chambers, I found Emily exactly as I'd left her. She was dozing and draped alluringly on the bed. She woke while I was unclipping her collar and gave me a soft smile which was visible in her bright blue eyes.

"Harry, you're back." She stated rhetorically, "Did you see Scarlett?"

I sat on the bed beside her, and she moved to lay her head on my lap.

"I did, but she wasn't herself," I said, expressing my worry.

Emily reached her arm up and pulled one of my hands into hers to grip it caringly while staring up at me.

"What's wrong? Aren't you meant to be marrying her?"

"I don't think she wants to marry me." I said forlornly, "She just wants to serve. I'm worried she'll never see me as anything more than her Master."

"She cares a lot about you. You are all she talks about when we are alone."

"Really?"

"Of course, silly," Emily replied while moving to sit against me, "it's obvious that she cares a lot about you and that you feel the same about her. Do you Love her?" She finished with a grin.

I knew the truth by now, but it was scary to say it aloud.

"Yes, I think I do."

Emily squealed with delight as she threw herself into my arms in a friendly hug.

"I'm so happy for you. I'm so happy for both of you!" She finished drawing back.

"She's not the only one I care a lot about," I replied, feeling my emotions rise to the surface while I met her gaze.

"Harry, what are you saying?"

"Em, you are so easy to be around. You are kind, caring, fun, fiercely intelligent, drop-dead gorgeous and a perfect submissive. I'm falling very hard for you."

"I'm falling for you too, Master." She replied with a profound emphasis on the last word that took me aback momentarily.

"I want you to know that from now on, you will spend a lot of time bound on your knees. But you will also have plenty of time to be free to be yourself, to learn, to explore and to have fun. I want you to be happy!"

"Harry," she began with tears forming in her eyes, "I'm just happy fate brought me to you. I've never felt safer and more at peace than when you have me in your control. But I'm just a Font. Aren't you meant to simply use me and lock me away?"

"You have no idea how wonderful you are, do you?" I asked rhetorically, "I need you to teach me to play the game of kings properly and in return, I'll help you fulfil all the fantasies you've dreamt about from your books."

She blushed an even darker shade of red than I was used to. But an excitement soon replaced the embarrassment.

"Deal. But I can't promise that I'll go easy on you." She beamed at me.

"Don't worry. My plans involve using my goddess's charms to distract you the next time we play!" I replied with a growing grin, happy to have found a partner I could simply enjoy being myself with.

She slipped against my side again, and we sat in contented silence, enjoying each other's nearness. When I made to go to bed, she was keen to play, but I was too tired and knew I'd need the energy for the following morning. I drew back the covers and climbed into bed with Emily, who curled against my side. I held her to me as I drifted off to sleep, wishing Scarlett were beside me as well.

***

A servant woke me early the next morning, and I was able to slip from the bed without waking Emily, who still hadn't mastered the act of sleeping elegantly, and I chuckled to myself. I wound my way into the adjacent bathroom and took the opportunity to wake up with a warm shower before wrapping a towel and returning to the bedroom.

A bewildered-looking Emily was sat up in the bed staring at a fully dressed Scarlett before her. She turned to face me with a concerned look, but my eyes were instantly drawn to her attire. Scarlett wore traditional formal riding gear consisting of black leather boots just below her knee, tight white trousers, a white shirt covering her neck and finished with a red and gold trim blazer. She was stunning in the seemingly skin-tight gear. I also noticed what seemed to be a matching set in the bed, which Emily was looking down at while holding the duvet to her neck.

"Scarlett, you look incredible. But weren't we supposed to be meeting later? And alone?" I finished turning my eyes towards the gear.

"Master, I have some urgent news I need to share," she replied formally with a slight bow ignoring my statement.

"What is so urgent?"

"It's about Tamara, Master. Emily's companion."

At this point, Emily shot out from under the covers, revealing her nudity as she wore just one of Scarlett's thongs.

"What about Tam?" She asked in a panicked tone kneeling at the end of the bed.

"A messenger bird arrived this morning while I was having early morning tea with Princess Eleanor. Her network found her, but she was sold illegally."

"We have to rescue her! Where is she?" Emily burst out all determination.

"She told me not to tell you, but I looked on a map, and it is only a day's ride. She's been sold to a retreat brothel!"

Emily turned to me with a lost look of desperation.

"Please, Harry. We need to rescue her!"

"Of course, we will. But what's a Retreat brothel?"

Emily didn't seem to know, but Scarlett stepped in.

"There are worse places to be sold. They are holiday retreats which provide access to a wide range of slaves to fulfil every fantasy."

"But Tam's innocent. She's never had any interest in men. She's also an owned slave. How could they buy her?"

"Em, she a beautiful girl, and that's likely why she's been sold illegally. The hunters aren't known for their morals, and no one will check her details if it's a seedy establishment." Scarlett carefully informed us.

"So when can we leave?" I asked.

"That's why I'm here. The horses are already tacked, and there is only a small escort for our ride outside the gate. I figured we could take them and ride off before your mother finds out." Scarlett replied.

"Em, can you ride?" I asked, turning to my Font.

"Yes, it was one of the few things Tam and I could do growing up!"

"Then let's get you dressed," Scarlett announced as she picked up the pile of matching clothing. I watched on mesmerised while Scarlett helped Emily into the figure-hugging outfit. In no time, my two slaves were matching, and I knew these outfits would be used for other future purposes.

Scarlett soon was rummaging through my clothes and quickly provided me with travelling clothes that suited a nobleman's rank. She insisted on dressing me with Emily's help, and they were soon following me as I led them down servant's corridors I'd explored in my youth and down to the stable. Thankfully the coast was clear, and we released the tacked horses and climbed up before slowly making our way out into the castle courtyard. Pleased to see only a few servants, we walked the horses through the gatehouse and out over the drawbridge. Our luck ended there, though.

Standing in full regalia was my mother, flanked by Captain Grey and a full unit of his men rather than the few our ride would have typically required.

"Henry, I'm very disappointed." My mother said exasperatedly, "Did you believe I wouldn't expect Scarlett to come to you or that you would try something like this."

"We will be rescuing Emily's companion Tamara. So please don't try to stop us," I said confidently despite my apprehension.

"I didn't say I was going to stop you. I just want to make sure you are safely escorted and funded. Did you even take any money or weapons with you?" She continued.

At this point, Captain Grey dismounted and approached my horse holding out the long sword my father had given me. I took it without a word and slung it over my back.

"The Captain and his men will escort you, and I expect you all back here tomorrow. Is that understood?" She finished in a tone that brooked no challenge.

"Yes, Mother," I replied before turning my horse and riding South with Emily and Scarlett, following with ease. This took the Captain off guard, but in short order, he and his men caught up and split to ride either side of us to lend protection.

We soon crested the hill and made good time as we entered the wall of trees that was the Silverwood. The vast forest sprawled to the South of my mother's estates and was known locally for the white-grey trees that made it shimmer silver from a distance. The flora was mesmerising as we followed a well-used path cut through the trees with Emily pushing her horse slightly ahead in apparent urgency.

Just as we began to settle into the rhythm of the trotting horses, the Captain called a sudden and unexpected halt while he scrutinised the widening path ahead with concern. I felt the strange awareness of magic nearby and noted that it seemed to be coming from the Captain.

He raised his head in alarm just before I heard the thuds of crossbows and a wave of bolts floored the men at the front of the column. The Captain moved his horse to cover our front as his men reacted, doing the same, with the calm professionalism of years of training. Despite my extensive studies, I felt frozen at the sudden conflict as fear for Scarlett and Emily overcame me.

"Henry, dismount and take the ladies to cover." He firmly ordered with his sword drawn, and I was surprised to hear my name rather than title.

His command shocked me out of my inaction, and I did as requested, dismounting and pulling Emily and Scarlett from their horses to use them as cover. Fearing they might bolt in the panic, I took their hands and pulled them off the main path to hide behind a large tree, using my larger frame to shield them from any incoming bolts. They both had terror in their eyes when they turned to face me, and my only thoughts were of keeping them safe.

The Captain was soon shouting orders, and his men rode hard off to the flanks in what seemed to be a pincer manoeuvre on the source of the bolts. They disappeared as sounds of clashing steel and cries of pain erupted in the distance. At that moment, a man emerged from the bushes behind the Captain and raised a crossbow to his exposed flank pulling the trigger. The Captain slumped off the side of his horse from the impact, and I knew I couldn't stay out of the fight any longer.

I made Emily and Scarlett hide amongst the tree's thick roots in a position that kept them mostly hidden. I rushed from cover, easily drawing my sword and bore down on the cowardly ambusher while he was busy reloading. Years of practice made short work of the man who hadn't perceived me as a threat, and I turned to face the rear as a group of three more men appeared. I drew on my magic, feeling Emily's flow naturally into mine, and reactively launched a stream of fire in their direction, making them dive for cover. I kept up my fire, setting light to the area they had disappeared into, and used the break to move around to find the Captain, who seemed to have pulled a bolt from his lightly armoured side and attempted to stem the bleeding, but it didn't look promising.

Knowing I could help, I dropped my blade and knelt beside him, meeting his concerned eyes. I drew deep on my healing core, stopping the flames, and funnelled magic straight into the wound, feeling my energy drain quickly, but I was surprised to see how quickly it sealed back up.

At that moment, a burning pain erupted in the back of my upper leg as a crossbow bolt tore in. I roared in agony and rolled to the side. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Scarlett looking out from her partially hidden position, and her eyes widened in horror, and I felt her worry through our bond. She suddenly emerged from relative safety, leaving Emily before running over to me, ignoring the danger.

"Master No, let me help you," she burst out, helping me to my feet before attempting to get into cover by desperately pulling on my arm.

I saw the three men come back out of cover behind her with two holding up crossbows to their shoulders while the other dropped an already-fired one and drew his blade.

"Shoot the girl, leave the boy," the swordsman shouted, and I saw in horror the men begin to pull the triggers with the crossbows pointed straight at Scarlett. Acting instinctually, I drew her into my arms and spun her away from danger, bracing for impact.

I felt every part of the bolts ripping into my unprotected back, and my breath was knocked out of me as if an anvil had hit me. My legs immediately evaporated beneath me, and I dropped to my knees as Scarlett desperately tried to hold me upright with a look of uncontrollable panic. I slipped down while spinning to try and fall backwards onto her thighs as she dropped into a kneeling position. I realised my mistake as the excruciating pain became overwhelming while the bolts were pushed further into my back, and I heard Scarlett scream in pure horror.