The Solitary Man

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

straight. I had to prove he was not the failure you both made him out to be."

Joan was furious. Her anger made her want to scream but held her tongue and walked away without saying a word to me. Joan was asking herself is my daughter trying to destroy my life. James stood for a few looking at me before saying anything.

"We need to talk; we need to work this out John!" James said softly looking at me while trying to figure me out.

"Working on that as we speak. But you know I was their listening via speaker when the Judge and Joan talked" I replied without offering my hand. James looked at me in shock as if he had no clue.

"I will show you both as much consideration as you both showed me. Which we all know was none. You made your bed now live with it." I said with a stone-cold voice. "I'll enjoy watching the fall out."

We stood there watching the couple as they headed out the door. My three daughters saw a big smile on my face. Steve said Oh somethings up. I just laughed knowing that as soon as they got off the church steps the two of them would be served. Joan was being served for divorce on the grounds of adultery. James for alienation of affection. It would be captured by the mass media again. The nightmare for them was going to get a lot worse.

It was time for us to get to the park for the pictures for their wedding albums so we the bridal party climbed into a big limo. On the way over while sharing a glass of champagne Jennifer explained everything to her two sisters who were holding onto me tight. They were surprised to learn that Jen had stayed with me for two weeks while she got to know her in laws. My three daughters had grown up to be very beautiful ladies. They made me proud. Jen explained how we had gone through all the things I had collected about her throughout the years.

Jen said she got the impression that I knew more about her then she remembered about herself. Then she said he has one on each of you just as thick. It proved to me Jen said that he never stopped loving us.

The only awkward moment during the photo shoot was the one with all the parents. All five of us. We got around it

by having Connie and Bill between the rest of us and the fact that they could not get three of us to smile. James and Joan

we're not in a good mood their world was collapsing fast. My identity was now out, and the mass media was having a field

day. The walking dead was alive! Became the mass media cry. Everything they thought they knew was being rehashed. Like

the democratic media always did everything was being taken to the extreme.

The bridal dinner was over the top then it came for the toast. As the best man and father of the bride I threaded it with tact. I explained it honestly telling how thanks to his good parents who I considered best friends we had developed a close bond and that I saw him as the son I never had. I went on to explain some of the comical situations we put ourselves in and how they had drawn us closer. I admitted that I was taken by complete surprise when he introduced me to his bride. I finished it off by saying I hoped they had the wisdom to catch on to and hold on to all their dreams. My mother's face glowed with pride.

When Steven stood up, I almost lost it. He started out by saying It's rare that a groom can say that his father in law is his best friend. Jennifer's father paid for my post-secondary education and has advised through a lot of rough times. It was a shock to us all that day in June when I discovered that John was Jennifer's real Dad. I'll never forget my own fathers' words when he said I had to be a blessed man to have Jennifer becoming my wife. To both of my fathers I want to say thank you for making me the man I am. When the bride and groom started their dance, they owned the room. To this day I have never seen a more beautiful bride. Judy and Joanne kept me on the dance floor both wanting to share as much time with me as possible. Outside of my mother they controlled all my time.

The master of Ceremonies came out on stage to announce it was time for the bride and her father to dance. Before we do that with the bride and grooms' approval, I would like to give General David Bloomberg the mike.

The General stepped forward. He said he was here to give three metals to hard hat Charlie. I had to laugh. Hard hat Charlie was a major in charge of a platoon of seals he said. They had gone into a mission that is still classified today only to learn upon arrival it had been an enemy's trap. Our intelligence of the situation had been totally wrong. The two platoons sent with them were also trapped. They were surrounded. Man, for man when under review of the botched mission said it was like a modern-day Custer's last stand. After two days of heavy fighting with our forces near exhaustion word came down the line to load up their bazookas to the max and pass them down the line. An average Marine can carry one of them with all their gear. Hard hat Charlie had taken off all his clothing and gear. He had nothing on but his bullet proof vest, his helmet boots and his underwear. Everybody roared.

Everyone around him told him he was crazy, but he said to his second in command. Win or lose if we don't gamble, we are all going to die. Since to all I love I am already the walking dead at least I will die with my boots on. I must give my men a fighting chance. He loaded up his body with two of these bazooka's after throwing a bunch into a clearing. He put his helmet on stuck a cigar in his mouth stood up and moved into a clearing and let those babies rip. His first hit was on an ammo reserve which cause multiple explosions to spread everywhere sending the well-hidden enemy scrambling. After firing a few more shells he turned around and ripped out a few more shells into pre-selected sites up the hill side. He was hit twenty-three times while still firing before he went down but only eight of them were serious. The enemies back because of his action was broken they ran like the dogs they were. Each man who served with him to this day swears he alone saved all their lives. So, I am here to present two purple hearts and one silver star to Major Johnathan Charles Barnes the 3rd. My only regret is that I could not do it in front of his men. I walked up and the general pinned them on then saluted me. My parents, and three daughters were very proud.

My daughter Jen finally led me to the floor for the father daughter dance. She had chosen an old sixties song "Your daddy's home." It was a very emotional dance for the two of us. When they announced the son and mother dance I went over and got my mother joining Steven and Connie on the floor. You could clearly see how much it meant to her. It was written all over her face. Later the bride and groom disappeared to change into their going away outfits and when they returned Jen found an envelope laying where she sat addressed to the bride and groom. Inside was a cashier's bank draft made out to the two of them for two million dollars with a note that said follow your dreams. Jen saw it and started to bawl. My signature was on the draft.

--------------

I slept in till almost noon on Sunday Morning having got to bed at about 6 am. After the wedding reception was

over Judy and Joanne had dragged me to an all-night Chinese restaurant for a midnight meal. Both girls wanted their first

private time with their dad. Before we called it a night, we had exchanged phone numbers, current address and my darling daughters had arranged to come and spend a couple of weeks with me back home.

After a shit, a shave and a shower I had gotten dressed in my usual attire blue jeans, a white T shirt, with a blue jean long sleeve shirt left unbutton hanging down the sides with black socks and cheap Walmart running shoes. Brand names and high fashion did not impress me much. I felt the richest when dressed like this driving my old ford truck. I was just a simple man who lived a simple life. I came down the stairs to find a house full.

Mom and dad, Bill and Connie, the rest of their brood all seven of them, and my two daughters. Connie was telling my daughters how I had saved their marriage and had explained how for over 10 years all our friends had tried to figure out if I was gay or straight. Your father though not a religious man had the patience of Job. He never gave any one of us a

hassle when we would try to set him up. We were all totally stunned when Jen called him dad because we had no clue. Till

then we thought the most important thing in his life was his two black female cats. After saying hello to all I went to the

kitchen to grab a coffee and to light up a smoke.

Mom joined me asking me what I wanted to eat so I told her six pancakes, three soft eggs with runny yolks, and four slices of bacon. She was thrilled to death and started pulling out her pans. The cooking staff got out of her way they knew she was cooking for her son. Dad came in as I sat there to catch me up with what was going on. It seemed the mass media was having a field day.

Headline on the New York Times was the walking dead is alive. CNN had been telling the story of my historic military record and had interviewed some that I had served with. Most of them said they were surprised that I had lived after being taken down. My dad had to laugh when one of them remarked the one thing you never said to Charlie was that it can't be done because he would always find a way to do it. He seemed to enjoy getting his superiors pissed off. As a leader he would only push his team as much as he pushed himself. Under his direction we all became better men.

It was out that Joan was married to two brothers and with no record of a divorce I had to have been one of the longest publicly known cuck's. They said that Senator James Barnes had bought himself one expensive whore when he crawled between her legs. I couldn't hide my smile.

CNN had an afternoon special promoting that lifestyle. Feminists were cheering her praising her for the lifestyle she had led but even their comments were being condemned. A News crew had been sent to interview people in our little town. Most had nothing but good to say but it was amazing how things got ratcheted up just for five minutes of fame. Dad laughed the media has blown this up and really made this a mess. The way they screw things up by the time this is done the country will think you're a saint and you won't have even said a word. Both Joan and James are screwed. I got up and refilled my coffee just before mom brought me my plate then sat across from me watching me eat. She still was working up to the point that she could accept that the baby of the family had come home.

-----------------

"Dad" Joanne said. "Your brother is claiming he had no knowledge of what mom had said to the judge because he

had gone looking for you. Do you think that might be true?"

"Who knows." I replied. "We know that for three years she was doing him on the side behind my back. There is no way we as humans can remember everything we said or didn't say. They had to have discussed the consequences of being

caught and what they would do if that had happened. Your mother felt secure enough in saying what she did that day. She was mentally prepared for what happened. Her own choice of words proves that. Either way they expected the family would handle it. The two of them used us all."

"Oh God." Joanne said. "you looked at it not in a personal way but in the way, it affected everyone in the circle around them, that paints a different picture. So, who worked it all out Mother or James?"

"James has never been a leader even in the marines he played it safe. Your mother and I are both go getters willing to take risks, so it had to be her." I replied.

"Jenifer told me that your gift last night if managed properly would set them up for life. She would not tell me how much it was, but she asked me to tell you that they are investing it for five years because they don't want be in a situation where they just flutter it away." Joanne said softly.

"Just so you know the threads of what was done is just beginning to unravel. No one knows what will come in the end. You never know until its revealed what people with money and power will do. On Saturday your mother was served. It's time we got divorced." I said. "You sister is being very wise. When your sister and you get married you will get the same amount."

"When did she received the papers. "Joanne asked.

"The moment she left the church. James got served too. I'm suing him for alienation of affection. Either way their screwed. I got the family trust frozen because I am not dead! Everything in it will be dissected by the lawyers. If they put their own money in because of what was done I may get theirs too. "I said. James will have to pay a few million to settle the suit.

Joanne looked at me without speaking for a moment then said. "Shit the house their living in is owned by the trust.

I think everything is. They maybe fucked."

"It's a mess that's for sure, I feel sorry for us all. Lawyers are going to end up taking a lot regardless. This was done to protect those who no longer need protecting. Sadly, it's always the innocent that get hurt." I said.

Judy had been listening to the conversation. I could tell she had something on her mind so when she asked me if she could talk to me privately, I was not surprised. With dad's permission we slipped into his office.

"Dad! Judy said. "I've got a female friend whose ex-boyfriend has been abusive in the past. She's got court orders out against him and he has been jailed a couple of times. He's set to be released again next week and were both afraid he's going to come after her again. She's a Rn. I work with her and we share an apartment. She has started an eight-week holiday and has some money in the bank. Mentally and emotionally if it wasn't for her work, she would be a complete wreck. She needs to be in a spot where she feels safe and secure. I think she needs to get away. She was at the wedding last night and

for the first time in a long time she showed a lot of interest in a man who she said "walked tall and carried a small stick.

Would It be okay if I introduced her to you?"

"Of course, it is. But you know we fly home tomorrow so what are you really trying to get me to do?" I asked.

"From what Joanne has told us about her two weeks with you and what you both did I want you to take her back home with you. It sounds like the perfect situation for her to be able to completely heal. Bill and Connie are great people so I know she will fit right in." Judy said. "If you won't do it for her will you do it for me."

"She's that important to you." I said. "so, who is the man she is interested in?"

"Yes, she is I see her almost like an older sister who should have been married to a good man long ago. The man she is interested in is you." She laughed. "With your past I know you can keep her safe."

"Darling daughter are you trying to set me up." I laughed back. "Remember I've reached the age where I'm old."

"You can answer that for yourself she'll be here in an hour." she said with a great big grin. "Remember Dad age does not matter."

The things a man will do for his daughters.

---------------

Joan and I had married right after she got out of high school. Her father had introduced me to her when he was doing an overseas tour, I was in my second year and she was fifth teen. For me it was love at first sight. I joined the marines with my father's influence and permission at sixteen. It took to it like a fish and water and excelled. My drill Sargent said I was old before my time. Being mentally tough and determined allowed me to move up the chain faster. The only thing I found difficult was continuing my education while living in the barracks. Thankfully schoolwork had always been easy for me. I graduated with my degree in three years instead of five. I had six years in when the twins were born and got my first discharge when they were two.

I considered myself a young 44-year-old father. My dad always said I was an over achiever and was willing to fiancé my company and away I went. Thanks to the age of computers in four years my brokerage company went North America wide. I was always traveling because of business. I must admit that I was too much hands on.

Dad and I were in the back yard shooting a few hoops when Judy came out with her friend. As we watched them

walk towards us I noticed Judy's girlfriend had long natural blonde hair. Dad said she has a set of hips just like your mom. Good breeding stock he said with a chuckle and added I love them when their built for comfort and not for speed. I learned

that Barbara Ellen Patterson was 33, had never been married and had grew up in a small town in Ohio.

She was five foot nine, which made three inches shorter than me. She had broad shoulders a decent rack and could play a dam good game of hoops. She and my dad made mincemeat out of Judy and me. After a couple of games, the ice had been broken and we began chatting like we were old friends. After talking for a few with her I excused myself and went into my dad's office to make a few phone calls. I finally opened the door and yelled to Barbara and Judy to come in. I told Barbara that I had one of the directors of the local hospital where I lived on the line who wanted to talk to her. While she talked to him Judy and I went out into the hall.

"What's going on dad." Judy asked.

I replied. "She's being offered a full-time position in the emergency department starting in a month if her references check out, which based on what you've told me I assume that they will. If she accepts, she can catch a ride with me when I fly home tomorrow and stay with me till she finds a place. It will be up to you to forward to her or get rid of anything she can't take with her. The pay won't be as high, but the cost of living is lower"

Judy hugged me and gave me a great big kiss on the cheek. "Thanks Dad. I knew you would come through. I had discussed this with Joanne, and she thought you would to. You have made it possible that she can finally put the past in the past. Thank you for setting her free."

Barbara accepted the position. The change that came over her was amazing. Her true natural warmth and loving

nature started coming out. It was joy for all of us to see. My Dad being a lawyer drew up a power of attorney which would allow Judy to act on Barbara behalf. I suggested to Barbara that she set up a new email account and text it to all that she wanted to keep in contact with informing them that she would be sending them her new phone number via that and she will let them know whats going on via the new email account that within a week. Barb, Judy and Joanne were thrilled. They soon rushed out the door to help Barbara prepare to go.

--------------------

The plane took off at four and landed at Port just before eight. Connie and Barbara bonded on the way. Bill and I talked about how impressed he was by my parents and my daughters. He advised me to be careful because Barb was the marring kind. The stock value on my former company was now at $103. Tomorrow Morning CNN would receive a couriered envelope containing my death certificate and the location of my grave. It was just after nine pm when we arrived in Spuzzum. I drove by the small hospital so Barbra could see it where she would be working before heading back out of town to my home. The farther we got away from the east coast the happier Barbra seemed to be. As I drove the truck up my driveway, I realized I needed to get a second vehicle.

Spuzzum's population was now about three thousand. It was evolving into a small tourist town. Seeing my home

for the first time she said I haven't been in a log home since I was a small child. Before taking her luggage in we walked out