The Solitary Man

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Bull Frog." I said as Barb and her mom looked at me surprised, "I won't pull any punches. I came to have a man to man talk with Barbara's father because I wanted to ask him for his daughters' hand. I had no clue that he was you."

"Are you serious? Mrs. Patterson asked?

"Yes ma'am!" I replied firmly. Noticing that Bull had a smile a mile wide.

"You got it John." was his only reply. "My only daughter couldn't come home with a better man!"

With that said I got down on one knee and pulled the ring box out of my pocket. In front of her parents I asked her to marry me. Barb completely surprised said yes. So, I stood up and slid the ring on praying it would fit. It did. Then I gave her a big kiss. After congratulations and a great big warm welcome to the family hug by her mom and dad. Bull said let me get the keys to the truck and we will go a quick beer run. It will give us a chance to talk. Barbs mom was bawling for two reason her daughter had come home with a man that her father approved of and had got engaged right on the spot.

Bull's and my first stop were the local legion to have a couple of drafts. He asked if I had gotten the divorce and I said I had. I explained how I had met his daughter and how we came to be. He knew I had come from money so had no need to ask. Of course, he had to introduce me to everyone and explain quite proudly that I was his future son in law.

Someone asked me how he got the name Bull Frog. I said let me explain, He was our drill Sargent for basic training, and it was his job to weed us out. Since I had joined at the age of 16 with my parent's approval, he felt that I really did not want to be there. He came down on me as hard as he could. Every little screw up by me meant an extra something being added on me by him. He was riding my ass extra hard. It was like he wanted me out.

My fellow recruits knew it and wondered why. One night in the barracks one of the guys said man you are taking the shit big time. What do you think of him? I said well he reminds me of a Bullfrog sitting on a log trying to catch bugs. The problem is that in his eye's I'm the bug. They guys loved it and started calling him Bull Frog and its stuck.

We dropped a couple hundred picking up the beer and rye. I knew if he had his way, I was going to be so drunk by the end of the day that I would not be able to drive. By the time we got back the yard was full of cars. We took some of the beer and rye into the house then drove his truck around the house and parked it to use the beer as needed. Barb and her mom were there to greet us. Barb slid he hand into mine.

A voice in the crowd yelled "Son of a bitch Hard Hat Charlie is that you."

I looked up and said "Measly Mike! Old dog, how in the hell are you? Man, it's good to see you brother!"

Within seconds we were giving each other a big brotherly hug. We both knew instantly we were still good buds.

Bull looked at us and said, "you know each other?"

"He's the best tach man I ever had underneath me." I replied with a big grin. "Bull Frog trained me I. I didn't know that he was Barbara's dad."

Bull said. "John why did he call you Hard hat Charlie."

"When I reenlisted, I started using my second name and made it to a major before I was discharged." I replied. "I got that name from my seal team on what would end up being my last mission."

"So, you're the hard ass Charlie that saved my sons life." he summed up. Mike and I both said yes.

Barb walked up and stood beside me and whistled to get everyone's attention. She introduced me to all as her

boyfriend. Then said my mother has got something to say before we carry on with this party. Turning to me she whispered I'm keeping the keys because If I know my Dad and brother, you're going to be to goddamn drunk to drive.

Barb's mom Gloria spoke. "I wish to officially announce the engagement of my only daughter Barbara to retired

Major Johnathan Charles Barnes. She came home because Charles wanted our approval before he asked our daughter. My

husband trained him and said he was one of the best he ever had. It took at the most twenty seconds for him to give his

blessing. As soon as he got it, he got down and proposed right in front of us."

Everybody seemed stunned but Mike said. "you're going to be my brother in law." and repeated it as if he was

trying to convince himself that it was true. For the next hour Barb introduced to me her extended family. Barb admitted to me it had been a long time since she had seen her family look so proud. By the way they she was right they got me drunk.

I don't know how we made it back to the hotel. Hell, I did not remember half the night. I had to ask my future wife to be if I had made a fool of myself. She summed it up by saying you out lasted the other two idiots. That didn't impress me

much as I struggled to get out of bed. Man, I was feeling rough. Barb said it served me right. I swore to myself that it would be the last time. During breakfast Barb took an image of her ring on a whim using her cell and texted Judy sending her the picture as an attachment. She texted you can call me mom if you agree to be my maid of honor. Less than ten minutes later we were on a conference call. Barb and I and my three very excited daughters. They were all thrilled.

We learned James and Joan were dealing with the FBI on multiple levels and facing various possible charges. Their defense bills were climbing. Both of their careers were destroyed. James had DNA tests done on his three sons and found that they were all his. I guess with all he was going through and had done it had created doubts in his own mind. It looked like their marriage may have been strained to its limit. My three daughters felt it would be lucky to last another year. The money that paid it for it all had been traced back to James. Who with legal authority given to him after my faked death by Joan had it paid for it via the Trust? It proved that their plans had been started long before I caught them.

Little did we know that in his warped mind everything happening to him was my fault. He still claimed he was been framed. Most thought he had lost all credibility. My Trust which had still not been settled was worth millions now and the lawyers would be fighting over it for months. I told them the court had put into the hand of a trustee until settlement came. The only problem we were facing right now was that my three daughters wanted us to fly to New York for a family celebration. We ended up agreeing to come as soon as Barbs work schedule would allow it. All the girls were pushing for a date.

---------------------

I worked it out with the board with my future brides' approval to accept the position of CEO. Meetings would be held on the second and fourth Friday of each month and secured conference calls three days a week. I wanted to limit my time away from Barb. She had become my world. Barb started her first day at the hospital and soon fit right in. Working in

the ER in a small town allowed a lot of free time at times so she began taking courses to further her career. She worked four

12-hour days one week and 3 the next. Her hours were from 6 to 6 so I would be sure to have meals ready to serve by the time she came home. Our friends got a hoot out of how domesticated I was becoming. It made me wonder if they had ever had a clue about a bachelor's life.

After her first three weeks we flew out that Thursday night to New York so I could attend a press conference the following morning to announce my assuming my position on the board. It was after that media event I learned that the court had ruled because of all the changes made to my trust were made after the report of my false death were made illegally. The court ruled that I would have to pay James and Joan 19% of its current value and if they wanted any of the personal property, they would have to buy it back at market value if I agreed to sell it. It was a huge blow for them. I instructed my lawyers to work out the details of the split providing they got to keep their family home.

After the conference Barb and I went home to my parents where we learned my three daughters and Steven would be joining us on Saturday. Mom and Dad wanted their own version of welcome to the family. Although she had the staff, she cooked the meals. Barb and I had one big problem we had to solve. Where we would get married and how we could satisfy our friends and family? By the end of the day with my parents help we decided to get married in Ohio, have a second reception back here with family and their friends and a get together with the crew back home after it was all done.

I would ask Barb's brother measly Mike to be my best man. Judy was Barb's maid of honor Jen and Joe would be the ladies in waiting. Steven and her other brother would finish out the wedding party. We set the date for the last Saturday in December because it had always been Barbs wish to be a December bride.

We had just finished a delicious family dinner made by my mom when there was a knock at the front door. When my dad returned from answering it, we got a big surprise it was my former wife asking to talk to me. My gut told me no way. So did my parents. Barb said you must forgive her before you'll be free from the past. Connie told me about her affair and how your wisdom won them both over. It's time you applied your own wisdom to yourself. I went to Dad's office for a few before calling Joan in.

"Joan." I said "Before we begin, I want you to hear the last words I heard from you years ago. I was sitting in the Judge's office when he talked to you. Pay attention to the tone of your voice and what you said back then. Just so you know I just emailed a statement to CNN confirming that I was there when the judge recorded it and listened to the conversation via speakers while you two were talking."

Joan's face went white. She now understood that I knew the whole truth. The mass media had never played the

whole chat. I excused myself to get a strong drink so that she could have the privacy to hear her own words as I heard them that fateful day. I came back with a scotch and water listening outside of the door until the conversation between the judge

and her was done before going back into Dads office.

"Imagine if you can that conversation from my side as I listened to you deliberately write me out of my daughters

lives. Try to see from my view the betrayal, the hurt, the pain and the tears. Consider the price we all had to pay because you

became my older brothers high class whore. I have asked many times what James did during the three years he lived with us besides fucking you behind my back. What was it you famously told our daughter that the story about their dad's death was sad but true, but we can be thankful because it brought Uncle James to all of you? "I said coldly with a firm voice.

"Did you ever say anything in our relationship that was one hundred percent true. Jennifer, Judy and Joanne have all heard the same thing. They have all even seen the date it was recorded and know it was before my reported death. The result is they are now questioning everything James and you ever said to them. Their listening to that tape has destroyed forever any trust they had for the two of you for good." I told her.

"Time appears to have proven that I was nothing more to James and you then a tool for you to use to an end. When Jennifer found me, I knew I could not be the walking dead anymore. It was time for me to reclaim my name, my family, and my life. The family's secrets had to end. "I stated.

Joan looked shell shocked. My words had torn her apart like arrows of steel. Everything I said pointed right at her

and my brother. The tears were now flowing like a soft spring rain. I had to wonder if it was caused by remorse or the shame of being caught. I got up from behind my Dads desk handing her a box of tissues. Taking my drink in my hand I left saying I would leave her so she could gather her thoughts.

Barb and my parents were in the living room when I walked in. My mom was showing Barb all the photo's she had collected over the years.

"By the looks of your face I can guess it's not going well. "my father said.

"Well she heard her own words to the Judge and his response. Before I gave her a chance to speak, I told to image how I must have felt considering I was listening to the conversation on his speaker phone at the time. I asked her a few questions and she lost it so I'm giving her time to collect her thoughts before we talk. I told her that her daughters had heard it all to and saw that the conversation had taken place days before my reported death. I pointed out that her own words had destroyed any trust her daughters had in both. I came out because I did not want to watch her tears." I replied. "She can no longer deny her own past or her lies."

"Are you okay?" Barb asked me in genuine concern.

"Just stating the facts." I said. "It has given me an inner peace I have not felt in a long time. The rage the anger I once had is gone. I can now accept whatever happens to come."

"It looks like Barb was right then." said Mom.

After refilling my drink, I walked back into the office and sat down. Lighting a cigarette, I waited for her to begin.

"We saw you catching us as the brass ring. Finally, we would get what we had always dreamed. The chance to live our lives beyond the closed doors. When the Judge called James was in the kitchen with me. We both saw him interfering in what was not his business. His anger and rage drove my thoughts and my response. I really had not given my comments much thought." Joan said softly.

"You know the Judge was right. Your father had been texted the video I took before the Judge called him. Your father asked us to do nothing until he got there. Within the hour he was in his plane flying down. When he heard the conversation, he himself went into shock. They both felt as I did that you both had set everyone up. If it came out their careers were over, their reputations damaged beyond repair. When Jennifer heard it, she demanded we get our DNA tested to verify that what we believed was true. Thankfully she was my biological daughter. Both would have killed both of you if it would have been legal." I replied.

"Your comments made it clear that everything you two were doing was deliberate. Now you know why till this day your own father has had little to do with you. He told the whole family when he went home what had to be done and why? The question I have is what gave you the right to write me out of our children's life. I have to ask because our daughters want to know." I said as I stood up because her tears were again starting to flow and walked out.

"What are your thoughts so far." Barb asked.

"She's trying to justify her actions nothing more nothing less. She has shown no remorse. Hasn't apologized. I feel the only thing she is sorry for it the fact that it has all come out!" I said.

Just looking at the three of them told me all I needed to know. They were as shocked as I was. We were all trying to figure out why she had come.

"We are both looking at doing time." Joan said when I came back into the room. "The FBI has got us on charges of lying to them at least, tax evasion faking a death theft and a couple more all involving your trust. Our lawyers are trying to work out a plea deal as we speak before were officially charged. James and I both feel if you spoke up, they might not be as harsh."

"Sadly, to this point they have not asked me a word. Why would they I was in the forces oversea fighting for our freedom while others played their games." I said with a smile on my face. "I really can't help you can I. You made your bed you lie in it. This is James and yours mess. I have often asked myself if you were ever really in love with me. I now know

you weren't. I guess you'll finally learn the hard way that there are consequences for your conduct that money can't buy you

out of. You haven't changed. I had hope of you apologizing for what you had done, but you didn't. You came to try to save your own skin. It's always been about you and what you wanted so please allow me the pleasure of escorting you out. I guess you'll both go to jail claiming it's not your fault."

I could not stop laughing as she left the house.

------------------------

Mom and Dad were being just that Barb and I had to sleep in separate beds. It made me realize just how attached Barb and I had become. There is nothing like the warmth of a body next to you in the middle of the night from a loved one

that can calm a troubled soul. It was a night of tossing and turning. It made me appreciate just how much we had become one. It was about two when Barb sneaked into my room. When she said I couldn't sleep without you it brought a smile to my face. I responded its moments like this that make us feel young.

As she climbed in beside me, I drew her into my arms. When she saw the tears in my eyes, she had to ask me why? I responded I finally understood what it meant to have a loving wife. It became a memory we would share and cherish the rest of our lives. I guess my words hit home because Barb started to cry. I calmed her down with gentle kisses.

"I need to know right now." she asked. "How do you feel about us having kids?

I paused before speaking then said. "Kids have a unique way of keeping the old young at heart. If you can accept the fact that I will be in my sixties before the last of our brood is out of the house. I see no problem if we have more than

one,"

"I guess it's time we started working on one." she said, and we did.

Dad was already up when I went down. The whole bottom floor had the smell of fresh perked coffee in the air. It brought back memories of my childhood to mind. It had always been his routine to perk coffee when he was off. I had to agree coffee made like that was richer more favorable then today's drip stuff.

"Good morning" Dad said as I walked in to get a cup and join him at the table. "I want to thank Barb and you for ruining a good night's sleep."

"What?" was my reply.

"Your Mom had to wake me up when Barb slipped your room to ask me what I thought we should do. "He laughed. "I told her that you were both old enough to know what you were doing. I'm going to enjoy teasing her about it for weeks."

"Tell mom that Barb and I really don't sleep well when were apart we learned that thanks to her last night." I replied. "and let her know were planning for her to have a couple more grandkids within a couple of years. Barb wants them close because of her age.

Dad commented. "I guess we will be looking for a home in Spuzzum. With me semi retiring your mother will want to spend a lot of time being a grandmother again."

Jennifer and Steve were the first to show up. Barb and I hadn't seen them since their wedding, and it gave us a chance to catch up. They both were tickled pink to be part of our bridal party. They told us about what they did on their honeymoon. Barb explained what happened when I met her parents making sure to mention that I was a happy drunk. Then embarrassed me by showing them all a video clip of her father, brother and I singing a barracks song drunk. The girls roared over that one, even my dad cracked a smile. Steve got a kick out of the fact that Barb's dad had been my drill Sargent and her brother on of my grunts.

Judy and Joanne showed up about an hour later. Judy went over the moon when Barb asked her to be our maid of honor until then she hadn't taken it seriously. They spent quite a while catching up with all the gossip from where she used to work and their mutual friends. Mom had to brag in joy about our plans to have children. Then of course Jennifer had to tell her sisters about my famous video so of course I ended up getting teased a lot about that. Steve got Barb