The Solitary Man

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

on the front yard so she could get a view of how my home looked over the village below with the log mill, the boats in the

docks and how the view of the Pacific Ocean was unending. It was a post card image and she was in love with it. I told her

that dusk would come between 9:30 and ten. As we entered the house, I told her she was the second person I had ever stay in my home. Neither of us knew at that time that she would never leave.

I was up before Barbara Tuesday morning. It still amazes me when I reflect on the morning how refreshed and beautiful, she looked as she walked down the stairs. It was if she had stepped out of the clouds into sunshine. With no makeup on she oozed of country dressed in blue jeans with a tank top. She would fit right in.

"Coffee's in the urn sleepy head" I said, "sugars on the counter half and half is in the carton in the fridge."

"And good morning to you to," She replied. "anything new in Charlie's world today?'

"Let's turn on CNN and find out." I said with a smile.

I flicked on the TV with the remote as I watched her pour herself a cup then checked out what was in the fridge and the cupboards. She stated we needed to do a major grocery shopping if she was going to do any cooking. I heard her say to herself it's a beautiful house, but it needs a woman's touch to change it from the bachelor pad to a home. It reminded me of something my mother would say.

CNN was having a field day after receiving the death certificate they had discovered that the signature on it was from a Doctor who had a questionable past. He was currently serving time. A news crew had been dispatched to the grave site in an area known to have been used often by the mob. When Barb saw me smiling, she said you knew. I had to admit I did. I then said the judge when he protected himself set this up long ago. After he died, I inherited his estate in the Cayman's I realized that he was going to make them pay. I had the caretaker mail this information in. She laughed and said that Judy, Joe and she had spent most of Sunday night and Monday morning discussing everything about the whole situation. They were all in agreement that Joan and James were getting what they deserved. All of you daughters appear to hate what their mother did.

"Your daughter made it perfectly clear that if I did anything to hurt you, I would be held accountable by her. All 3 of them think you walk on water. I had to promise Judy daily reports on how were getting along." Barbra said. "When I told her Saturday night what I thought about you after the general had said his little bit she started to plan. I asked her why she was doing what she was doing, and she said my dad's a good man who needs a good honest woman in his life."

"After our coffee's lets drive over to port so you can get your Washington state driver's license. Apply for your

nursing license and do a major grocery shopping if that's okay. They have a golden corral there so we can have an early lunch." I said.

"Sound like the plan for the day if we can work in stopping at the hospital so I can go to the human resources department and fill out an official application." she replied handing me her phone. "I need to get you to put our legal address into the memo's, so I have it."

After stopping for coffee before we got on the road, she asked me if she could drive. I let her and she had a smile a mile wide. She handled the clutch like she had been doing it all her life. When I said I was surprised at how well she was doing she told me she had been driving tractors since she was nine. If you're in the country and are not driving a standard, it's like saying that you'll never amount to much.

After lunch we hit the hospital and got that done then the state local office where she was told her new licenses would arrive within a week. ATT then Walmart. The groceries we bought filled the truck we had overloaded it. I hadn't expected the new copper nonstick pots and pans, a complete set of dishes for twelve or the new silverware. Her explanation was that my measly kitchenware showed I just did not cook which was true. While she was in the hospitals hr. department, I had called my insurance provider, so our last stop was at the local jeep dealership where I picked up a Jeep four by four fully loaded brand new. My insurance dealer faxed over proof of insurance so we could drive it home. She drove it home following me all the way.

When we got home, she let me unload the groceries then told me to get out of her way and to leave her alone so she could properly set the kitchen up. As soon as the dawn dish water soap was unpacked it was used. She washed down every cabinet before she unpacked a single thing. It was as if she was setting up a new house. I watched her in amazement as she organized the kitchen making it her own. I should have seen the warning signs, but I was blind. I went into the living room and turned on the news.

If It wasn't so sad, I would have laughed. They had found my grave site and were asking if I was alive who was buried there. It would take the FBI to answer that. I heard Barbra's cell phone ring and I listened and was able to gleam that it was Judy getting an update. So, I yelled tell Judy you haven't raped me yet. Barb did and then yelled back your daughter says you can be a real asshole. I laughed. I knew I was too old for her and that was that. It was almost ten before she was done. To celebrate I poured us both a large glass of homemade blackberry wine and watched the twinkling of the town lights below until we went to our separate beds.

I awoke to the smell of bacon being fried. When I came down the coffee was made. Barbara was wearing a homemade full-length house coat with a matching night gown. I commented that it was hand stitched and asked how long it had taken it for her to make it. She said two months but how did you know? I replied because you can't buy that quality in any store. She smiled and said I like a man who notices little things. Breakfast was almost ready.

Six pancakes, three runny eggs and four slices of bacon for me with warmed pure maple syrup. I asked how you knew that was my favorite. She said your mother told me, but you can place the eggs on your own pancakes she laughed. So, I asked her what else did my mother tell you? She smiles saying that's for me to know and you to find out. I smiled and said to myself I could get used to this. I told her I was going to check in at the store and pick up the plates when I paid the taxes on the jeep. She said that was fine because she had found the tape measure in my toolbox in the pantry and was going to measure for blinds and curtains. Before I left, she gave me a kiss on the cheek and said just remember dinner is at six and always will be when I am not working. Then it hit me, she was trying to make this a home not just a place to sleep.

I returned at noon and put the plates on the jeep before heading inside. Barbara told me the good news the FBI was digging up my grave site that very afternoon. We both wondered what they would find. It had been found out that my death certificate had been issued the day before I had reenlisted. CNN was carrying it live. I received a text from the lawyers asking me to call. It turned out that Joan wanted a quick divorce and the Trust situation dealt with separately. She would not fight the grounds of adultery. They felt if they went that way the time period for the divorce to be granted would be waved because she was already remarried. I told them to go ahead.

Barb said I was making the right move. She said she was done measuring and that we needed to discuss rod style materials and price. I said why? She replied because this town is growing, and it won't be long till there will be other homes built that may allow them a direct view into your home. Also finishing off the house will add value. For the next four hours we discussed each room and ordered the items online. After spending ten grand I asked her if she expected me to hang them when they came in and she said yes that's a man's job, but I will help. She figured she better check in with Judy and we were glad that she did.

Judy had inside knowledge of what the found in the coffin. Wrapped and taped in bubble wrap for protection was a federal express sealed envelope. Once it was opened it contained a note saying Next time James and Joan when you try to kill someone make sure the person you hire is competent. It was signed by me. When I heard that I roared. When Barb got

off the phone she asked for an explanation, so I told her that before I left to report the Judge had me sign a bunch of blank pages as if I was signing a letter. What they found must have been one of them.

Barb was just going to start supper when I got a phone call to let me know all my buddies and their wives were on their way to welcome Barb to the neighborhood. I told her not to bother starting anything because we were about to have a house full. They wanted to welcome Barb to our village and group. Apparently, Connie had spread the word that I had brought a classy lady back with me and my daughters had approved. All the ladies wanted to meet the lady who had been able to get my attention. They would joke all night that they had to see it to believe it. Charlie had finally found a girlfriend.

Within ten minutes the group all arrived. I proudly introduced Barb to them all. We were having a potluck dinner country style. Fried chicken, baked bean, nacho's and cheese, potatoes chips, fry's coleslaw salad fresh buns two cases of beer and pecan pie. All the ladies loved Barb's selection of dishes. After introductions she soon fit right in talking with the ladies about the curtains, blinds and rods she had ordered saying that they should arrive on Friday. It was decided that Saturday afternoon we would all get together and put them up, but she insisted they bring nothing because she would prepare a meal for us all.

Early Thursday Morning saw us going to Ace super store in Port. Barb wanted a big propane barbecue, a deep oil fryer, and a smoker with the needed tanks. We ended up buying a patio set that would sit eight with eight extra chairs and had it arranged to be delivered the next day. I bought precut lumber to build a couple of tables.

Friday morning, I started building her an outside cedar table that when collapsed would stand against the back outside wall. When pulled out and being used it would be used as the main counter for people getting their food. I stained it to match the stain of our log home and protected it in the same way. She loved it. Thank God Ace hardware pre-assembled it saved a lot of time.

Saturday at noon they brought their ladders and the five of us guys soon had the rods set up in all the rooms. We let the ladies put the curtains up. I had to admit in front of them all that Barb had a great sense of design and style. That made her smile. What we had done made the house look that much better and I admitted it. I laughed because Barb blushed. Bill pointed out that I was going to need a garage and a storage room for the patio stuff before the winter weather set in. I had to

admit that he was right but if I was going to do it right, I wanted a protected pathway with a mud room for coats and boots all made with logs. Barb said we need room for two freezers. I groaned. Connie caught it and said are you already planning for more kids. I blushed and everybody roared. Connie said poor Charlie he's already hen pecked and don't know it. Everybody roared again.

Barb had smoked and slow cooked twenty pounds of ribs, had a huge potatoes salad and had made a quick shredded pickled cabbage relish and a regular salad. It was a hit with everyone, so all the ladies had to find out how

the cabbage was done. To reward her for all her hard work I made her breakfast on Sunday then with friends we took a cruise up the coast. Seeing her enjoyment in what we were doing I made a note to take her to Seattle to do some whale

watching and to spend a day at their market. When Judy called Barb, she admitted privately to Judy that she was in love.

The problem I was to, but I would never make a move I was too old, and I saw myself as to set in my ways. -----------------------

It had been an interesting week we had over three evening designed and laid out the plans. My four best friends

enjoyed expressing in their banter with me about me being in love. No matter how hard I argued they knew I held a losing hand. The rock removal company would be coming next week to start leveling off the additional space needed. By the time they were done we would have the county approval for a four-bay garage, a built-in storage area in the back with an in-law apartment on top and a sixteen-foot walkway to the huge mud room for Barb.

James and Joan had been called into the FBI rumor had it that it wasn't going well. The polls had his reelection chances going down the drain. The FBI had shrunk it down to two possible suspects who may have been hired to carry it out the attempted execution of me. It was difficult for them because of the lack of proof. They both were under investigation.

Friday, I got an interesting phone call from the President of the company I had founded he wanted to know as a major shareholder If I would be interested in becoming the New CEO. I asked If I could have a week to think about it, he said yes. Somehow it leaked out and the shares rallied on the news. Rising to the level $139.

Then late Saturday a very loud thunderstorm with lightening moved in. I did not know it, but It would cause our relationship to change forever. It hit in the middle of the night. I was laying in my bed listening to the heavy downpour hit my homes metal roof when my bedroom door opened. That was when a huge lightening hit. Barb walked in wearing a very slim almost see-through low-cut nightie which barely covered her private parts. She was a sight to behold. Her silhouette with the sheet lightening behind her encased her in a band of gold giving me a vision of her I would see in my dreams.

I pretended to be asleep as she pulled the sheets back and crawled in beside me. Her body trembling in fright. As soon as the next thunder boomed its echo bouncing off the walls her body was tight against mine. I could smell the sweet scent of fresh soap coming from her body because she had showered before going to bed. The scent of lavender filled my nose. Flesh against flesh gave me an instant hard on. Turning sideways she slid her leg over mine, wrapped her arm around my chest and laid her neck upon my shoulder. I hadn't been this close to a woman in years. I was a nervous wreck. As she raised her head to give me a kiss on the cheek, I turned my head to hers and our lips met. A gentle kiss turned in a slow lingering tongue exchanging kiss. Once started we could not stop. Emotions were fueling our desires. Our cold hands exploring each other's bodies. Each other's pleasures we sought.

We took it slow until she felt my stiffness standing out then she pulled my sleep wear bottoms down. Pushing me back on my back she mounted me then lowered herself down drawing me into the warmth of her tight mound. Joining our bodes making us one as we discovered our own personal dance. It was a night of wonders and whispers as both of us were making up for lost time. It wasn't just sex we were making love. She was claiming me, marking me taking my mind heart and soul. In the afterglow we admitted to each other our feelings of love.

It was almost ten am when hunger demanded we get out of bed. I went down and put the coffee on dressed in just my pajama bottoms. While waiting for it to brew I called my daughter Judy

"Dad." Judy said with surprise. "It's good to hear your voice."

"Thanks, but I need to ask you a question. What did Barb say to you during Jen's wedding?" I asked.

"That the moment she saw you in the wedding party it was love at first sight. It seems the more she learned about

you that night the more it reinforced to her that her feelings were real. She watched you all night. Ever since your arrival back home she has been on cloud nine. Whatever you plan to do don' hurt her." Judy asked.

I chuckled and said. "Just between us, she slept in my bed last night. This morning we admitted to each other that we were in love."

Judy got emotional so I said I would let her go and talk to her later. The coffee pot was almost ready, so I cleaned the urn and put hot water in it and our cups to warm them up. I had just finished that when the doorbell rang. It was fed ex with a special delivery from my lawyer. It was my divorce certificate. The court had waved the waiting period because of the extenuating circumstances. I was a free man. Barbara was coming downstairs her face glowed with contentment. Her cell phone rang so she answered it. Within seconds she burst out laughing. After a few she ended the call.

"That was Judy." she said. "She said she had a question for me."

"Oh, and what was that?" I asked

.

"She asked if it was okay If she started calling me mom." she replied before giving me another kiss. "You just had to tell her. Didn't you? "I laughed.

Barb said I had to tell her that I had to make the first move because you never would. She was right. I had saw myself as to old to be in love again. I poured us both our morning coffee and walked over to the kitchen table after mixing mine the way I liked it. Barb liked hers black so after grabbing her cup she headed over towards me but stopped when she saw the letter from my lawyer. Picking it up she read it. The second page was the certificate. She looked at me with tears of joy. I got up and held her in my arms.

"Is it time for you to meet my parents? "she asked.

When I said yes, she called her mother to ask her if they still did the family get together on the family farm during

Labor Day weekend. When she said yes. She told her that she would be coming home for it. Her mother was thrilled. Instead of doing it she explained on the Monday they would be doing it on Saturday because others had plans for that Monday. Judy and Joanne were both out before the end of summer. We spent one day just going through their binders. Both daughters and Barb were surprised how much I had on my daughter's life.

-------------------

We flew into Cuyahoga County Airport where we had a car rental waiting in a small private Jet. Then with our luggage we went and booked ourselves into a holiday Inn. It was a beautiful September day. The plane was booked to pick us up the following Tuesday. Barb hadn't been home in two years but had warned me that both her father and two brothers had been in the service. Since I was the first man in her adult life, she was bringing home I would sure to be grilled to make sure I was good enough for their only daughter.

When we left the Inn the next morning, she drove us to the farm. We were early I figured because we were the third vehicle in the yard. Her mother ran out of the porch eager to greet us before we had shut off the car. She was in shock her only daughter was with a man. Her father hearing the voices came out to see what the fuss was about. I was shocked. Her father was Bull Frog Patterson my old drill Sargent. The first words out of his mouth was well shit. I had thought like all the new recruits that he was nothing but an asshole. He had ridden my ass hard.

"Barb what are you doing with this wimp? He cost me over a thousand bucks" he said with a laugh while holding his hand out to me, "I was supposed to break him and get him to drop out. So, I threw all the shit I could think of at him and he excelled despite me becoming one of the best dam marines I've ever trained. That man when he must be is as hard as a rock. He cost me a thousand in bets because I never thought he'd last. He proved me the hard way that I was wrong."