The Sorcerer of Azurai

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We all have different fathers. Or had different fathers. Mermaids mate as often as they can so that our race doesn't die out. So many of us have been hunted, harpooned, killed for sport. For our scales and hair-

"Why would anyone want your hair?"

"It's finer than satin." Nyris added "Finer than any silk you'll ever come across. Evil witches and wizards use the hair in potions and spells. Some even eat the mermaid carcasses hoping to gain an ability, a sort of enhancement."

"We're magical beings as well." Piper said this into her knees "Skinning us alive, taking our flesh into them, sometimes as revenge, it all sucks. Our mother is not even concerned. Ursa raised us, she's first born."

"She has a wicked temper, but she's really sweet if you get to know her."

Nyris looked at Sage and shook his head, denying the second part of that claim. Piper really cared for her sisters and wanted to respect their authority, she too was naïve.

"Is she still bitter about your mother letting your father live?" Nyris whistled.

"Huh? Oh, maybe...But he's pushing seventy five soon." Nyris knew that Piper wasn't like her sisters. She did say things to throw people off, and she did their bidding when requested. But personally from knowing her from the pop ups at the shore, she seemed lonely. Never really being able to befriend her sisters, she played and teased Nyris on occasion. Out of all her sisters, she was the only one with a living father.

Her mother spared him out of true concern, it was one of the reasons her sisters never really wanted to get along with her. As well as a huge reason to why she tried so hard to please them.

"Rest well." Nyris told her as he walked outside. Piper stayed sitting, contemplating herself and Ursa. Sage just watched and waited in case she needed any assistance. She then wondered how Nyris knew that she had money on her.

The bag. Nyris had already went through it three times before she opened her eyes. There was a map, star chart, a pencil, protractor, ruler, and a small dull sack of silvery coins. He snuck through her bag without asking or without telling, but she didn't feel that her privacy was invaded. He had checked out of curiosity, out of worry.

In the morning Nyris was already up, with a wave of his hand he was wrapped into a black cloak and hood to hide himself from any wondering eyes. He did the same with the girls, Sage was given a beige cloak and sandals while Piper was given a plain cream colored cloth that was to her dissatisfaction. Underneath Piper was folded into a long wavy grass gown. It was more clothing that she had wore in all her life, but it was a cute dress to say the least and free of charge.

Before Nyris casted the spell he apologized in his mind for using as much magic as he had ever since Sage arrived. It wasn't her fault, but he still felt responsible for maintaining a balance. Small selfish requests scratched at the corners of his mind, he hoped they wouldn't come back to haunt him.

With one last flick of his wrist the winds unfurled, enveloping them all in a lime light that was so warm and nostalgic that it took a time for Sage to realize that they had already arrived in Clarcel.

It was a clear city of colored stain glass and ivory with structures that climbed high to reach the clouds, streets paved in gray marble, stairs crafted from rose quarts. It's citizens were walking calmly through the streets, smiling, going in and out of an array of buildings. Shops, homes, clinics, it was all so hard to tell, especially when the sun beamed down to refract the light off the glass buildings.

"Woah." Piper's jaw dropped "This is richy rich rich."

"My mother did always like nice things." Sage bristled "I've only been here three times in my life, but I remember the way."

"Then lead onward." Nyris told her. They got looks as they passed by, but no one dared walk up to them and try to cause trouble. There were no trees in sight, but a few flowers, an amaryllis here or there, small partial patches of green. The air smelled of cinnamon and honey, flecks of gold dwindled in the air. Even the air was rich.

They made their way down a singular pathway on the edge of the great city up a path towards a large manor crafted of beryl, parts of which were so thick it blurred out anything that could be seen inside. They made their way up the steps with Piper groaning all the way and knocked on the wide double doors.

Sage bit her lip with anxiety, it wasn't like her to just show up without notice. Someone approached the door opening it up, a woman in a dull gown, wearing circular glasses, poked her head out. Her hair was a dusty brown and gray tied into an overwhelming accurate bun.

"Who dares disturb this great home during such a time?" She fearlessly growled at them.

"Someone's uptight." Piper giggled.

"Why you-

"Miss Mathilde." Sage undid her hood and watched as her old caretaker gasped in shock.

"You're alive!" The woman gripped Sage tightly around the waist practically bouncing in the air "We thought something horrid had befell you." She sobbed, her tears absorbed into the cloak, disappearing altogether.

"The mistress was so worried. And your father...We must send notice right away-

"No." That is when the warm embrace broke. Mathilde stood there gasping for air on the verge of another breakdown. "I'm sorry, but I need to speak with my mother."

Mathilde sniffed and nodded "Of course...may I ask who these two are?" She couldn't see inside the cloak up close to view Nyris' face, but she could tell he was a handsome man. Was he the reason that her little lady left?

"They're my-

"Guardian." Nyris answered.

"Guardian? Her parents are her guardians-

"Both of these girls are under my charge." Nyris declared "Their well being. So if you'd please bring forth your mistress."

Mathilde eyed Nyris, but held the door open "Please come in." The trio didn't hesitate to step inside. Paintings all hung on every space on every wall of the entrance where an oriental rug was the center of the room. Mathilde led them up another set of stairs into a master suite where a woman was crying on a bed.

If Sage was pale then her mother was sickly, her skin was even brighter than her daughter's, her dress was sapphire with long dropping sleeves.

Mathilde pushed at Sage to say something.

"Mother?"

The woman stopped bawling and froze, looking up she felt as if she were dreaming. It couldn't be true, her daughter was lost in Lapise. Wasn't she? No traces of her were found, and yet her eyes, they were the same as hers.

"Mistress Laylia, she's returned." Mathilde told her "Your daughter has returned."

"I'm bored." Piper whispered to Nyris.

"I don't see how that is a problem of mine to handle. Be patient and be quiet." Laylia stood, her knees still weak with worry as she ran to Sage and wrapped her arms around her.

"It's truly you and no other?" Laylia whispered.

"Of course, mother-

"Then why?!" Laylia shook her "Why did you go off on your own?! Where did you go?! Do you know how I worried myself near death?!" Her voice started to crack.

Sage looked down, it was true she ran away from her problems all in order to be free of her arrangement. She never thought about the toll it would take on her parents, greedy or not they did love her.

"I could say I'm sorry a thousand times and it would not be enough to spare you the pain." Sage frowned, her lips trembling "Or further pain. I couldn't go through with the arrangement mother, I just couldn't. But father wouldn't hear from me, I was scared..And no one could comfort me."

"My life was in his hands all along, and I couldn't take it back. I couldn't touch it. I didn't think of you or father when I left, but I just wanted to escape and forge my own way."

"But you are still so young.." Her mother placed her palm against her cheek "So precious to me, I can understand that fear, that pain. But it has caused great aches that has kept me up at night."

Still crying Laylia caressed her daughter's face as she had when she was born "What if someone had kidnapped you? Defiled my child?"

Sage shook at the thought "If you had been killed. Sage, I wouldn't be able to bare a minute of breathing if you were gone."

"I'm so sorry, mother." Sage rubbed her eyes trying not to cry, but the tears fought through.

"There, there." Her mother wiped her face and gave weary smile "You're here with me now, you are welcomed to stay. You and your friends for as long as you like-

"I can't stay over a day. I'm returning back to where I came from-

"But this is your home."

"No, mother. This is your home with master Wren, but it was never to be something permanent in my heart."

Laylia sniffed again "Why do you wish to leave me once more?"

"Because I need this for me to be happy. You're considerably happier here than I. I only came to give a proper goodbye. As well as to apologize for leaving so abruptly without word."

Laylia crouched down onto the floor to steady her breathing "This isn't just some phase? A venture?"

"No, mother. I just want you to know that I am well." She helped her mother up off of the floor.

Laylia nodded, even through the sorrow she knew that Sage would never be happy here, because Sage never wanted for wealth and power, only knowledge and freedom.

"Then please stay with me tonight, Mathilde prep her room, the guest rooms as well."

Mathilde nodded, scurrying off down the down the halls.

"Ohh, we get a room too?" Piper asked hyperly.

"You are friends of my daughter, you have taken care of her when we could not."

"Aww that's sweet, I've never been in such a huge mansion before." Piper looked around completely in awe.

"I've never seen a mermaid up close before, consider us even." Laylia smiled.

"So you are not a stranger to the paranormal and mystical communities?" Nyris asked. Laylia's eyes darkened looking up at him.

"I can tell from the aura you two give off. I have to say I'm take back a bit, this is my firs time meeting a god."

"Mother?" Sage looked at her, Nyris took off his hood and Piper followed suit.

"Nyris of Azurai. You're as I imagined."

"How?" Sage questioned.

"I may not be a historian, but I enjoy a tall tale or two. Legends, myths, they're all based on a small portion of truth. I knew who he was from his eyes, so cold and familiar. I must thank you for helping my daughter."

"I did little." Nyris said looking down into her eyes he could see a bit of coldness towards him, but he didn't know where it came from or why. "What are you?"

Laylia smoothed out the hem of her gown "That I cannot say."

"But why?" Sage clasped her mother's hand in hers, "Please tell me why you've been keeping this secret from me."

"For your protection. You may ask all you wish, but I will never tell. I'm just elated that you're alright." Laylia gave a small peck on her forehead "I won't say, but please harbor no ill feelings towards me. I just want you safe."

Sage's throat felt as if it were closing up, but even hoarse she knew her mother would not tell her. She hugged her mother, knowing that maybe it was for the best.

"I will send notice to your father-

"We will meet with him tomorrow."

"That is a hard wall to scale, dear one. But you will." Her mother looked at Nyris "Will you always protect her?"

"Yes."

"Promise me." Her eyes scorched his with their violent glare.

"I promise on my blood, on my soul that I will always come to Sage's aid. Always."

Sage looked at Nyris who only gave a curt nod. "Thank you."

The entire night Piper shuffled around in her sheets, not used to such decadence thinking of the three course meal they had, foods that she never even heard of. This was the life, not hers, but pretty damn great. Sage walked about her old room barely able to sleep, and Nyris feeling her anxiety couldn't seem too either.

In the morning they were seen off, by Sage's mother, her step-father, Miss Mathilde, and their loyal servants. Nyris' spell kicked in again taking them to Lapise, and as in the name the city was made out of Lapis azuli, fifty percent, the rest was a mixture of magic cement and limestone. Unlike Clarcel there were street vendors, a couple of bars, docks, a library, and a gallery.

The trio now found themselves in the middle of the city, men and women with magics and wrapped up gifts shuffled by one another, not caring if someone was shoved. Lanterns hung above their heads on wires that were slightly sinking. In a rush not to be noticed, Sage grabbed Nyris' hand.

At first it was a surprise, small fragile hands with so much warmth had him in a vice grip, the same went for Piper who was dragged along the roads and byways until they made way to an eggshell colored building that stretched far and wide with many windows, a large garden in the front, one laid just behind it. And a gigantic fountain laid off to the side, that was what caught Piper's eye.

"You lived in a castle?"

Sage smiled "It's an estate, not a castle Piper."

"It's totally a palace then. Don't you think, Ny?"

"I think I'm losing all feeling in my hand." Nyris said.

"Oh, I'm sorry." Sage released him hand "I was just really nervous."

"Um, I'm in pain too." Sage released Piper's hand "Sorry."

There was a small stairstep to walk up before knocking. A servant answered the door, too stunned for words he invited all three in. He had them wait in the den on the very expensive sofas that his master had just purchased. She was missing for nearly two weeks and he had bought new furniture. Nyris just didn't get her parents waxing and waning affections.

"Sage." The voice was robust and well rounded, this could only be her father's voice. It frightened her a bit to see him there. He had a thick head of curly blonde hair, there were a few gray strands, but only few, more so in his mustache. He wore his regular lounging day wear, a suit in blue tones that was loose around the neckline.

"Father." Sage made no sudden moves, just watched as his dark eyes rolled across the room.

"And you have company."

"I've seen mother and we have come to fair terms with one another."

"Terms? Were you negotiating a deal? Where were you?!"

"I was trying to sail away, but I shipwrecked-

"You foolish imp, what if you have gotten yourself killed? Your fiancé has been driving himself up the walls thinking that you were lost to him."

"Fiance? Father I did not come back to marry the lord or to return to you-

"What?!" His face was toiled with in fury, how could she say that to him?

Sage rubbed her arm "I did not come back to return, I came to say goodbye. I'm not happy here. I never will be, father I cannot give you what you want."

"You fool." Her father walked up to her ready to snap, but Nyris towered over him, menacingly.

"W-Who are you to stand before me?" Her father scowled.

"The one who guards her well being. Is this what your father taught you? To strike out at a woman, because she does not comply to your wishes?"

"You have no business here-

"He is my guest, my friend, if I wish him to stay he can." Sage told him "Mother understood, why can't you?"

"Because we've always had this planned, you'll have a much better life an easy life, Sage."

"I don't want an easy life or a plentiful one, I just want a happy life."

Her father stepped a few feet away from Nyris who was still planted before him.

"If you feel so strongly then why do you keep the necklace I gave you?"

"Because..." Sage's words got caught in her throat "It's important to me."

He laughed, it was a stressful one "But from this plentiful life."

"I can't say anything that will please you, and it seems that I've only caused more strife. We should go-

"I don't wish for you to go." Her father's eyes watered up "What will you do? Where will you be? How will you be if we cannot see you?"

"Don't worry, Mister." Piper broke out into a grin "Ny has been nothing, but a saint to Sage ever since she wrecked on the shore-

"Wreck? You were in a shipwreck? Were you hur-

"I was, but-

"Wait, Ny? On an island? Couldn't be, could it?" Sage's father took a look at the strange purple eyes that beamed from under the hood "You're the legendary sorcerer of Azurai? How is this possible? Out of all the places to crash, why?"

Nyris shrugged, he wasn't sure why himself, sometimes fate was just that way, unpredictable. "I do not know. But I've allowed her these requests and in return she will help maintain the island while she resides there."

"An island? You'll live with him on an island? But you're city born-

"I'm can adapt father, it's a bit scary, but I like living there. I enjoy the breezes, the sands, even the mermaids."

"Aww." Piper hugged her "I like you too, friend."

"I have promised your ex wife that I'd protect her from harm, and I don't go back on my word."

Sage's father placed his hands on his face "Yes, I can picture how that went. Laylia is very passionate. She's heard of many stories, of many characters, but when she heard of you she was torn. So much good and so much pain and anger. We know of your sins, Nyris."

"You know nothing of my sins!" Nyris spat angrily, he hair started to turn red, and then he felt a hand on his back. He turned to see Sage. She was smiling at him, it was enough to settle him.

"It's okay. No page can capture the full extent what you had to endure."

Nyris huffed and sat back down to calm himself.

"Sage, you know don't you? He could be a danger t-

"I am grown, I make my own decisions, my way. Nyris isn't the type of person who would hurt me, so please believe him. Or better yet, father, believe me and my faith in him."

Her father conflicted between his worry, anger, his joy broke down in shuddering tears, he hugged his daughter, praying that she'll live on even if he couldn't see her.

He sniffed "I'll take you at your word, but there lies one more problem. My lord is here in the upper room, he's been awaiting you, coming by day after day."

Sage turned to Nyris and Piper "I'm sorry for all of this, but do you mind?"

"You are master of this domain, not I. You can do as you please." Nyris told her getting up and leaving the room. Sage wondered was he still mad about what her father had said or that there was yet another bump in the road.

Sage went alone and spoke to the lord, he had short white hair and loving hazel eyes, they never left her sight as she explained why she could not marry him. He seemed truly sore over it, but he gave her a smile, he graciously accepted the rejection and bid her adieu.

Piper had found her way outside of the doorway where she saw Nyris leaning against the wall, eyes closed "I know words can hurt, but it seems the little prince was the only who got burned."

"Can't you mind your own business?"

"Nope, can't you mind business that doesn't pertain to Sage?"

Nyris opened his eyes again "Who does she have besides the two of us from this point? She needs a friend now more than ever."

"Ohhh, now she's your friend?" Nyris didn't respond to the question, but waited for Sage. She was growing, slowly, her confidence building as she took her life into her own hands. Maybe she wouldn't be lost to the darkness of the world afterall.

After another night spent in a lofty room where they were treated like royalty Piper started to gripe about where they were now. A small dusty town nearby that Nyris led them too, he didn't come for the luxury, but for the library. They had one of the best libraries in the kingdom. It was also the largest building there.

"Why can't we go somewhere fun?" Piper whispered, the bookshelves were higher than any tree that she'd seen and the rows were endless mahogany with a small sector where tables and chairs sat. The librarian was a vampire, one that had lived in the world longer than Nyris had. She gave him a small wave which he return by smiling.