The Spark

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Melany blinked at him as if confused, trying to remember. She gave a nod, her old eyes going from him to me. "She need checked?" she asked.

"Yes, but not for mine. For Ian Lancaster."

Melany gave a nod and held her old, gnarled hand out. I stepped up and took it and Melanay grunted. "No. No seed has took hold. She does hold a great deal of pain there though, someone's been rough with her."

I yanked my hand back, blushing.

"Thank you, Melany. Can... you not speak of this to anyone?"

"Of course. Perhaps you will bring me more of those soft peaches in a tin?"

Hank grinned. "Of course, you need only send word when you are out and I will bring more."

He pulled me out of her room and down another hall. He slowed once we were away from her room. "Do you wish to marry Ian?" he asked.

"I do not have much choice. Kitsume has my sister and she will hurt her if I do not do as I am asked to here."

"Emily will let you marry another if you say Ian doesn't suit you."

"Will she? Are you sure?"

"Yes. You need only say it."

"What if she gets upset?"

"She won't. Emily is very understanding and she knows that not everyone can put up with Ians mood swings."

"You sound like you know her well."

"You live somewhere long enough, you know everyone well. I grew up here."

"Why are you being so nice? You have no stake in this."

"You really aren't used to people doing something for nothing?" he asked, then blushed. "I suppose I am not really doing it for nothing."

"You know she won't let me marry anyone... who isn't high up on her family tree, right?" I asked softly.

He gave me a grin then and he looked more boyish than the serious man from the storeroom. "Am I that transparent?" he asked.

"No, but it was the only possible explanation."

He laughed and nodded. "Fair enough. But I also happen to know that her nephew Andrew is a nice kid. And his nephew Adrian is a good guy too, if a little homely. If you don't mind that."

"I don't. As long as they wouldn't hurt me."

He grinned again, flashing me a smile. He was handsome for an older man, and very nice.

He led me down a larger hall and caught another servant coming out of a room. "Helen! Can you ask Emily to go to her rooms, please? I need to speak to her privately."

"Of course," she answered, then turned to hurry away.

He took me down a larger hall to a huge room. He sat me in a plush chair, then went to stand near a table with drinks. "Would you like something?" he asked.

"No thank you," I answered anxiously. It was fine for him to say she wouldn't be upset, but people showed a different face to servants than they did to people like me. They wanted to be seen as nice, but what if I made her angry? I was sick with worry as I sat there.

"Be easy, Hailene," he said softly.

I tried to give him a smile, but I knew it was more like a grimace.

Emily came in, followed by her husband and she smiled at Hank and went to him, hugging him close. "Where have you been! You have been gone for weeks! You shouldn't worry your mother so!"

I jumped up warily, looking at Hank. She had another son? Had he been toying with me this whole time? Getting me to say awful things about his family and then bringing me to tell them?

"I see you have met Hailene!"

"I have. She is very different from other girls, isn't she?"

"She is, it would seem," Emily answered, smiling brightly. "Can I take that to mean that Ian will not need to try and... conform?"

"If that is her wish," Hank said with a nod in my direction.

I shook my head, confused. "Is this a game? Were you toying with me? Pretending to be my friend and then ambushing me like this?" I asked angrily.

He laughed. "No, Hailene. My name is Bennett, I told you I hated my given name. Above they know me as Hank. I think you assumed I was a servant because of where I was, but that is where I teleport deliveries of food to. I never said I was a servant. Don't be upset, I wasn't out to fool you. I had no idea who you were or why you were there. So, if you think I might be a better match than my brother...?"

"Her Spark is unknown," Emily said quickly.

"I know, mother. It is something I have never cared about anyway, you know that." he looked back down to me and I looked up at him, trying to read his face.

"I was told you were gone all the time," I said softly, buying time.

"A personal choice, one I could change if I wished. If I had a reason to stay home."

"You do not know if I would be a good enough reason," I said, blushing.

He grinned and moved closer. "I am usually a good judge of character. You are enough like me that I think we are a well suited pair."

"And all the things I said about being used?"

"A talk for another time, but I am aware of your feelings. I am starting to feel like you would rather not match to me?"

I shook my head quickly. "I didn't say that! I'm just... confused. I... yes. Of course I will pair with you, Bennett."

He winced. "Hank. Bennett is such a prigs name and it doesn't suit me at all. I am glad, Hailene. Mother, you may see to the arrangements then," he said softly. "Hailene, would you like to walk with me back to the formal room? I am trapped here now, at least for a while and everyone is going to want to corner me. I may as well get it all out to everyone at once so they don't all corner me individually."

I smiled at that. I felt the same way. I gave him a nod and he led me out, Emily beaming happily and Mikkael grinning. I saw then, that Bennett looked a lot like his father. Ian looked like his mother and that was why I did not see the similarity between the brothers.

We followed Emily into one of the large halls, full of people sitting around and laughing and talking. She stepped up onto a platform that looked like it was there specifically to make announcements from and everyone immediately went quiet, looking to her.

"Bennett has finally agreed to settle himself and pair with Hailene. There will be a wedding soon!"

There were cheers and yells and I looked around in shock. Below, a wedding was a simple thing, the couple stepping up to the magistrate with their close kin behind them and the magistrate saying a few words. A paper was signed and that was it. Usually you went to work once it was over. Leona had always talked about how weddings were grand affairs above, but I hadn't believed her until now.

Bennett moved closer and put his arm around me, resting his hand on my shoulder lightly. He led me to one of the long chairs and sat down next to me. People sat close to us immediately, including Emily and Mikkael after Emily spoke to a servant who took off at a trot. Emily sat next to me and took my hand in both of hers, beaming at me happily. I understood it immediately. I had brought her wayward son home to her.

People talked at us and to us and around us. There were so many conversations happening, I felt completely lost as I sat wide eyed, one hand trapped in his mother's hand, the other trapped in his.

After half an hour, my anxiety had reached a panic inducing level and I was almost ready to excuse myself and run.

Ian came running into the room, his face red and panting as if he had been running. His eyes went to me and Bennett on the couch and his mother stood up.

"No! Mother, you asked me to take her and marry her!"

"But now you don't have to?" Emily said in confusion.

"I want her! I didn't know I would, but I do! I want to marry her! Tell them, Hailene! We were together this morning and Paul didn't even need to be there! I told you I could be with you, that I wanted to be with you! I sent off to have your wedding dress started and I was going to make the announcement myself at dinner!"

Emily put a hand to her heart as Bennett stood up, pulling me up with him. "What about Paul?" Bennett asked softly.

"What about Paul? I can't marry Paul and he will still stay close to me! Hailene, tell them!"

I looked around, alarmed at all of the faces looking to me. "It is true, he did say this morning that he thought he must like girls too," I conceded.

"See?" Ian demanded of his mother.

I looked up at Bennett fearfully and he patted my hand. "So we both want Hailene. Then the choice is hers."

Again, a hundred eyes were on me and I felt panic taking over. "Bennett," I whispered, hiding my face from Ian.

"Hailene!?!" Ian said in shock. "After last night? After this morning? Everything was so perfect! Wasn't it? Is it Paul?"

"No," I answered quickly, shaking my head, tears starting to fall.

"Ian, she has made her choice," Bennett said calmly, pulling me tight against him and rubbing my back gently.

"Hailene! I was willing to change everything for you!" Ian said angrily. "And it may not even matter. We have been together twice! She may already be seeded!"

"She isn't," Bennett said quickly. "I already took her to Melany, before I brought her to see mother."

"WHY?" Ian demanded. "Why now? Why would you come home now and ruin this for me? You can have any girl in the world that you want, but you take the one girl that I am actually attracted to! The one girl I could actually have a family with!"

"Ian, that is enough!" Mikkael said gruffly. "The girl has made her choice."

"We share a similar temperament," Bennett answered his brother. "We met and spoke, she is like me. I do not want just any girl, I want a girl who is like me. Who would be fine staying out of the social circles and just being in each other's company. She isn't grasping and clawing and cloying, she isn't blinded by the opulence around her. That is what I have been waiting for, someone who can actually love and not someone who wants my power and family name."

"I want love as well!"

"Paul adores you. No one loves you more than Paul does."

"I know he does, I mean a girl I could love and have kids with!"

"Enough!" Mikkael said again, swiping his hand through the air. "Ian, to my office, now. Bennett, take Hailene to your mother's study. Emily, speak to the girl."

Bennett led me away as the room buzzed with whispers. Emily hurried ahead of us and led us into another room, smaller with a more formal setting. Bennett sat me down, patted my hand, then left me alone with Emily.

Emily gave me a smile that looked apologetic. "I am so sorry sweetheart," she said softly. "I know this is all just a mess, isn't it? I just wanted to speak to you alone and ask you to think this through carefully with no pressure from anyone. No one will coerce you or be upset, you may choose any way you wish."

"But I cannot choose to just go home?" I asked softly.

She looked shocked that I had asked that. "Well... no, sweetheart. I'm sorry. Is that truly what you wish? Did you have a man you loved below?"

"No. Just my mother and friends. She is alone now, my mom. It's fine. I know I have to stay here and do my duty. I choose Bennett. He is right when he says we have similar temperaments I think. Neither of us like crowds or people much. I am sorry to say that, but it is the truth."

"I see. I do hope you find happiness here, Hailene. I have been hoping Bennett would find someone and settle down. I wouldn't even have cared if she had a lesser Spark, so long as he were happy and home. He will see you happy I think. It does very much surprise me about Ian though. You must have made quite an impression for him to cause such a scene?"

I didn't know what to say, I could only blush as I looked around the room in horror.

"At any rate, you have made your choice and I am pleased. I hope you will be happy as well, Hailene, truly. Come. I will let Bennett take you and show you to your new rooms."

I followed her out and Bennett was waiting in the hall, leaning on the wall. He grinned at me when I came out and stood, offering me his hand. Like he already knew I had chosen him.

I took his hand and he led me away, but not far as he pushed into rooms that were smaller and less ornate than Ians had been. Simple even. He led me to a chair, then brought me a glass of water. He sat next to me, facing me and looking down at me a moment before reaching out and stroking my hair back away from my face.

"I guess I lucked out in more ways than one," he said finally. "You are a lovely little thing, aren't you?"

I felt my face heat as I looked down. "May I ask how old you are?" I asked, the only question I could think of to change the subject.

He barked a short laugh. "Twenty eight. Late to pair up, I know. Not for lack of my mother trying, I promise you that. Does my age bother you?"

"No! No, I just wondered."

"Anything to change the subject? Do you dislike that you are beautiful?"

"I'm not. My sister is pretty, I am just different than what you are used to."

"You don't really believe that, do you? You are beautiful, Hailene. Accept the compliment and accept that you are truly a lovely creature."

"I am more than a face."

"Of course you are. More than a beautiful face, a lovely body and an exceptional Spark. I know that. But it is still nice to look at you, My Petite Beauty. May I kiss you, Hailene?"

I looked up at him then, surprised. "I... um... Those close to me call me Hai."

He chuckled, then slid his fingertips over my cheek. He leaned closer, taking hold of my shoulder and gently laying me back on the long chair. He leaned in and kissed me softly, a sweet, gentle kiss and I sighed in a happy sort of relief.

That should have been my first kiss.

I opened my eyes and looked up at him, his eyes looking over my face as he gave me an amused smile. "I know my brother did not, but I will wait until we are wed to take you to my bed. As it should be. But still, I would like to kiss you as I please. May I?"

I nodded slightly and he smiled again.

"I must also confide... I know it is not allowed down here, to take another to your bed unless you are wed or planning to wed, until after you have been touched and tested for Spark. It is normal to come to your marriage bed not having been with another, but I have been with other women. Up top. Nulls all. More than a few. Does that bother you?"

"No? Should it? I have been with your brother. Twice."

"How badly did he hurt you?"

"He was just very rough, he wasn't trying to actually really hurt me," I began, then remembered the way he had squeezed my breast painfully, trying to hurt me. I cleared my throat. "I am fine."

He gave me a sad nod. "Once a month or so, Paul leaves him. He always comes back, always. We don't know why. Ian means well most of the time, but sometimes the dark overshadows the light."

"The healers cannot help him?"

"No, it is a malady of the mind. Up top they have medicine, chemicals that can help with that sort of thing, but unless I take him up to see how much of what to give him, it wouldn't help."

"Do they still fear us up there?"

"They do not remember us up there. At all. References of us are chalked up to superstitions and folk tales. Allegory."

"But it wasn't even that long ago!"

"For us. For them, it was many generations back. The Spark extends our lives, so we remember more than they do. They live short lives and forget quickly. A single year down here is the same as twelve above."

"Is that really true?!?"

"It is. I can see someone above and go back a few months later and they will have aged that many years. Have kids, family. It is a strange thing."

"I cannot imagine! What a short life they must live? How do they do it?"

"They know no other way, they are reckless and wild, destroying things above as if they have no care for who comes after. For a while, the above held a fascination for me, but lately I like it less and less. Still, I must go above often. Will that bother you? My cousins are not as strong as I am, their Spark weaker. They can only do so much. If we are to stay in trade and power, I still have to go above often. I will not linger or stay away anymore. I will stay home as often as I am able. Will that be enough for you?"

"Of course. I will be fine. Soon enough I will have my own job to do, whatever it is."

"So you will. I will try to be home as often as I can, doing my work and not lingering. Hailene..." he began gently, then leaned in and kissed me again.

It was still soft and sweet and tender. Affectionate... loving even. I felt warm to my toes and I knew. I knew in my heart he was a good person, a good man. He was like me and enjoyed his peace and solitude. I smiled up at him when he pulled back, my heart feeling full and happy. I had not felt this way with Ian, only nervous and determined to do as I must no matter what.

I realized then that I had felt something akin to this before. With Arik as we waited on the Seer and with Simion. I had felt they were both good men, honorable and kind and I had felt a kinship to them. Things I had not felt about other people.

"You look as though something has come to mind, My Petite Beauty."

"Why do you call me that rather than my name?" I asked curiously.

He smiled. "It is a habit from above. So many names all the time, changing rapidly, it is hard to remember. They use pet names and nicknames often, so I picked up the habit. It suits you as well. Hailene is a lovely name and it suits you, I am sorry if I have given offense."

"No, I simply wondered. I do think I prefer my name, or Hai to those who are close to me."

"My mother has taken quite a fancy to you, did you know that?"

"I think I do, actually," I said thoughtfully. "I can almost feel how much she likes me. More than her usual kindness. I don't know why."

"You were willing to try. With Ian I mean. You could have refused, gotten upset, but you didn't. You actually tried and didn't make a fuss at all. You would have gone through with it."

"I didn't really have a choice. Kitsume has my sister and if I don't comply, she will end her once she has a child born with the Spark. She admitted as much."

"Not just that," Bennett said sadly. "You are sweet and gentle in nature, just like her. She can see that. Anyone can see that. And you brought her son home to her."

"Yes, I felt that as well. She was very pleased that you would be coming home. She cares for you a lot, doesn't she?"

"Of course, I am her son," he laughed. "I know it's hard on her, having two sons who would not and could not marry a girl and settle down. Give her grandchildren. But now that I have you and Ian has apparently decided he also likes girls now, maybe she will get her wish soon enough."

"Are the other great families as nice as all of you, or are the others like Kitsume's family?"

"The Ishikawa's have always been... cold. Angry. Reaching higher and higher, wanting more and more. The other families up here are nice enough, but there are political undercurrents, always. So long as one is in power, the others strive to take their place. It is the same on the second level. And the third, I suppose. The politics and maneuverings are one of the things I hate about this place."

"There are no politics and on the seventh level," I said with a sigh. "It sounds pretty awful. I never understood why my sister wanted up here so badly, the only thing that is better so far is the fruit. I don't care about anything else, it's just a bunch of mean people clawing their way past each other to reach the top, not caring whose backs they step on to get there. Trading people like property, using them as pawns. Killing people when they are no longer useful. It's disgusting."

"I am sorry you were dragged into it. The upside is that once your Spark presents, if it is as powerful as the Seer says it is, you will be in power. You can make changes. Big decisions. Everything. You can do anything you want."

"Is that really how it works? You are powerful, can you make changes?"

"I am up fairly high on the board, yes. The twelve highest make up the board. The way I am told the Seer talked, you will be up high as well. Maybe as high as me even. At least high enough to be on the board for sure."