The Spark

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes," he said sadly.

I saw Emily hovering in the doorway, watching worriedly and expectantly as Melany handed me the small bottle, then wrapped both of her hands over mine. She felt worried at first, then relieved, then suddenly excited and elated. She let me go, schooling her expression, but I could still feel how excited she was and how badly she wanted to get Emily alone to talk to her and fear crept through me. Was I pregnant? Was that what she was so excited about? No, I was sure it wasn't. It was something else entirely, something about me.

I sat up, ready to follow her out, but Bennett caught my shoulder as Melany and Emily left. "Drink it, My Petite Beauty," he said gently. "Lay down and rest."

I sighed, but did as he asked. I was too tired to go and follow them anyway. I would find out soon enough. I laid down after he took the empty vial from me and he pulled me close and held me as I drifted off.

I woke briefly after a couple of hours as he was easing out of the bed, seeing Emily leaning over him and waking him. I went right back to sleep, but remembered it the moment I woke later, alone in the room.

Yawning, I got up, still so tired I could probably sleep the rest of the day, but now it was nagging at me. What were they hiding from me? I stopped the first person I found in the hall and asked them to help lace my dress up the back, then went in search of Bennett and his parents.

I found them in his father's office, along with several other members of the family who were high ranking. They all went quiet when I walked in, looking at me in surprise and wariness. They all felt wary too, and unease seemed to wash over me.

Bennett hurried to me. "Hailene! You still look so tired, what's wrong?" he asked, taking my arm and leading me to a sofa to sit with me. He felt tense, so incredibly tense and anxious now. He loved me as much as ever, but he also felt full to bursting with a fear that something bad might happen soon.

"What is happening?" I asked, looking around.

"We are discussing Ian and the trial," Bennett's cousin, Julia said with a smile. She was lying. An outright lie right to my face.

I looked at Bennett. "Is that what you are talking about?" I asked him, looking him in the eye.

He looked down, blushing. "We are discussing family business," he said softly, talking around the truth but not lying. "Now that you are here, we can discuss more though. Unless you need to rest some more?"

"No, I'm fine, I want to know what is going on."

He nodded and turned to his parents across the room who looked a little spooked. "Very well," Mikkael said with a smile at me. "I am glad you seem to be feeling better Hailene." Not a lie, but still a cover for something. "We will talk about the trial for Ian and what should be done."

"Is a trial necessary?" Emily asked softly. "So public and... humiliating? I saw him myself. I wish to move on to sentencing with no trial. There is no need to drag this out and hurt Hailene even more than she has already been hurt. Or me."

Mikkael nodded. "I had hoped you would feel that way. Hailene, does that suit you?"

I gave them a small nod.

"Bennett?" Mikkael asked.

"That is fine, but make sure his punishment is more harsh than confined to his rooms," Bennett said darkly, hugging me closer. Anger was surging up in him, hot and overwhelming. If he had his wish, he would teleport him above, to the other side of the world where he could never find his way back.

"Then we will discuss punishment," Mikkael said, pacing.

Suggestions were thrown out and I sat looking at everyone. No one was actually thinking about punishments at all save for Bennett and Emily and Emily was mostly fretful that the chosen punishment would make it so she could never see her son again. He wasn't a good man, but he was still her son and she wanted him close enough to go to.

I stood. "Some of these are harsh, and after what he did to me, and what has come to light about what he has done to others, he perhaps deserves harsh. But I would like to also remind everyone that he has a sickness of the mind. If I could make a suggestion, I think he should be removed from his luxury and put into a servants room. A cot, a place to wash, a cupboard for clothes and a few small things. Allow no guests save a visit through a small window made in the door. Food and items like books might be passed through the same door or teleported in. Further, I think it would benefit everyone if Bennett or one of the others who could teleport were to bring down books about maladies of the mind and someone were to read them and become well versed in that area. Bennett says there are doctors above who specialize in nothing but. I think we could benefit from a similar system. I know there are some few who are born with lesser Spark, or one that is not as beneficial. Perhaps they could be induced to learn things like this and provide a valuable service besides just Spark within the family line. I have no wish to see him physically harmed or impaired, or humiliated publicly. Instead let us learn to help him."

Emily stood. "I agree and think that is just. What he did is unforgivable, but seeing to a solution is a better answer than simply punishing."

"For how long?" Mikkael asked.

"Until a Seer can touch him and know he will never do it again and knows he is healed," I answered.

Emily gave me another nod. "I agree with this solution."

"Servants fare as far as food," Bennett said, standing next to me and putting a hand around my shoulders. He thought his brother was getting off far too lightly. "And no other creature comforts beside books and things that can better him. No wine or alcohol at all, or any other concoctions that can alter his state of mind. Let him have a clear mind to consider why he is there."

I gave him a nod, as did his mother.

I felt him hesitate and reconsider before he spoke again, then he forced himself to say the words. "And Paul is not allowed to go and see him."

"What?" Emily asked. "Why not?"

Bennett's face reddened, but I knew what he wanted to articulate but not sat in front of his mother who probably wasn't aware. I spoke up. "He abused Paul, quite a lot. Paul would do anything for him, he would bully him into it if Paul hesitated. He would bring him anything Ian wished, no matter what it was. Ian is bad for Paul and Paul is far too good to Ian. I agree with this, for Paul's sake especially. Let him move on and find a better partner."

Emily gave a nod, but she was horrified. She also felt more pressure knowing she would be the only one going to see Ian and she was hoping he wouldn't try and coerce her into breaking the rules for him. She wasn't sure she was strong enough to see him in pain and not do something about it.

I looked at her. "If it is easier, take Mikkael with you," I said softly.

She looked at me wide eyed, then nodded slightly, looking spooked and feeling very wary. A zing of excitement seemed to course through the room as everyone looked at each other.

I turned and looked up at Bennett. "Is there more to speak about? I am hungry."

"It is dinnertime!" Emily said brusquely. "Everyone! Let's go out to the dining hall and sit and eat. We will speak no more of this after we prepare a room and see it done. Come Hailene, sit by me at dinner? You and Bennet can switch places this once."

I let her lead me out, but her mind was racing as she chattered absently. What was wrong with her? What was wrong with all of them?

The dining hall was already full, we were coming late to the table, but no one seemed to mind or notice, like it was a normal thing for people to arrive early or late.

"Elliott!" Emily said happily to a new face at the main table. "You are finally home! Hailene, this is my nephew Elliott. He is the only family who is gone even more than Bennett is topside! He can teleport as well and is second only to Bennett in teleportation Spark. Elliott, this is Hailene, Bennett's soon to be wife come Sunday."

The man stood, smiling as he reached across the table to take my hand. "She is stunning, Bennett! Someone finally caught your eye, huh? It's lovely to meet you, Hailene!"

My hand touched his for a split second before I jerked away with a gasp and threw myself backwards. "No! No! You kill them! You kill so many of them! Just girls! So young, only eighteen and nineteen! They were so afraid! You TORTURE them! You slice their stomachs open and shove their intestines down their throats so they choke on themselves in excruciating pain! You are a MONSTER!" I wailed, breaking into sobs. The words tumbled from my mouth with no way to stop them.

"She is insane!" Elliott said in shock, looking around. "Cousin, what is wrong with your wife?"

Everyone was staring at Elliott like he had sprouted horns. He looked around a moment, then licked his lips nervously and disappeared. Gone.

"They were so young!" I said again, shaking my head, the words just falling out. "So scared! And they hurt so much! All because they were allowed freedom and he wasn't, he was forced to live below like a creature in the dirt. He hates them, all of them. He kills as often as he can in new and different places. Always a young girl. He likes to see their terror. He won't stop. He won't ever stop. He has to be stopped!" I wailed, then fell into Bennetts arms as I sobbed. When had he come to the floor next to me? I couldn't remember.

He felt terrified and amazed and angry, all at the same time. Terrified that his close kin had turned out to be monsters two days in a row, terrified there were more lurking around me who might hurt me. Amazed at what had just happened, at me. Angry that Elliott had slipped away so quickly and no one had thought to take him in hand.

It hit me then, why everyone was being so wary around me. What had just happened. I had touched Elliott and seen everything. I had been feeling things from people for days, ever since the Seer had touched me, but it had felt so slow and natural, I hadn't even noticed.

They had noticed. They had seen it and they knew. They knew I was a Seer. A Seer who could feel them without touching them.

I looked up at Bennett, knowing why no one had said anything. Knowing why he was so nervous and afraid, wanting Sunday to come and go. "I know I don't have to marry you on Sunday," I said softly. "I know my Spark presented early, from the Seers touch and my own stress. I know that my Spark is more than yours and your family wants to tie me to you before I realize that I have a choice now. Bennett... it doesn't change anything. I still choose you."

He let out a half sob of relief as he pulled me in close in a hug so tight I could hardly breathe. His relief was overwhelming, his love poured into me and I was caught up in his tears of joy.

He finally loosened his grip enough to bend down and kiss me, then he stood with me, smiling. Everyone was frozen into place, watching us. They had not heard me, I was too far away.

"Denny, gather every cousin who can teleport and every guard with the ability to take out Elliott. Pair them up and go and hunt down Elliott. Bring him back here. They should be able to trace his Spark with their own," Bennett said loudly. "Mom, dad, summon the council."

"Bennett, are you sure?" Mikkael asked anxiously, glancing at me in Bennett's arms.

"Yes. Summon them immediately, no moves to hold. I am calling an emergency summit."

"Son..." Mikkael began.

"Are you questioning my right to call a summit?" Bennett asked softly, dangerously.

Mikkael did not answer, instead he turned and left as Emily's cheeks turned pink. Bennett was embarrassed as well. He had never had to pull rank on his father before.

Bennett hurried me to his rooms and helped me twist up my hair and laid out the nicest dress that had been brought for me. He hesitated a moment, looking me over and I knew he wished he could stay and help me. Touch my bare skin. See me. I couldn't place the feeling radiating off of him, but it was close to need.

I turned and looked down, gesturing to the laces along the back of my dress. He undid them, then hesitated until I shrugged out of the dress and let it fall in a puddle around my feet. I picked up the other dress and he helped me pull it in, his fingertips lingering and gently gliding over bare skin. I could feel how torn he was. He wanted to turn me and kiss me and lay me in the bed, but he also knew we were in a hurry. He couldn't call an emergency summit of the council and then be late for it. I pulled the dress on and moved my long hair so he could lace up the back. He was trembling as he did and I was starting to feel the need he felt. The need to feel his hands on my skin and his lips on mine. My pulse sped up, my heart racing and thumping as he moved closer...

I shook my head and tried to stop it, stop letting his feelings in. I needed to learn how to control this! I couldn't let what everyone else was feeling take over my own feelings, how did I shut it off?

I turned as soon as he tied off the laces and rushed out the door, my face too hot, knowing he would be able to see what I had been thinking if he saw me. He caught up quickly and took my hand, leading me out front to the large doors to the square.

"There is a round pavilion within the plaza," he said softly as we walked. "It is where the council meets. There are twelve at the table, but more will come in and sit to watch, only those high in Spark who may some day take a seat. They will sit in the chairs around the outside of the room. When we go in, you will stay with me as I sit down at the table, ok?"

"Ok," I answered, picking up on his nervousness.

He brought me into the bright room and it was already mostly full, the table having only two seats open. Bennett and his mother took the two open seats, next to Mikkael. I stayed next to Bennett and everyone at the table stared at me, and then Bennett, all of them going wary and some of them angry.

"Bennett Lancaster, you called this summit," a man said, standing. He was short with a pinched face and he looked furious. He was furious.

"I did," Bennet said, leaning on his elbow casually. "The counsel hierarchy has just changed."

"She's still a child!" a woman spat, standing up next to the short man.

"Do you deny that you can sense her Spark?" Emily asked.

"Since when has age had a bearing?" another woman asked, leaning forward.

"We should have been warned!" the man said indignantly.

"She is not the only reason we are here," Bennett said calmly. "Johanna, please take a seat on the wall. This is Hailene, first among us now," Bennett said, standing and holding the chair for me to sit in. Everyone moved down to fill the seat that the angry woman had vacated.

The woman still hovered. "What is her Spark? Is it even useful?"

"Come to her and she will tell you," Bennett said, sitting next to me.

The woman marched up to me angrily and stopped, crossing her arms as she looked down at me haughtily. I reached out and touched her, trying to get past all of the indignant anger rolling off of her.

I felt myself smiling. "It's a girl! A beautiful girl and she will have the spark as strong as you!"

The woman jerked back, clutching her belly. She wasn't even showing yet.

"You are worried that Bryon is cheating on you, you have seen all the signs but you are afraid to ask. Afraid if you ask it will be over, but you would rather pretend it wasn't happening than have it be over."

The pinch faced man stood up. "Johanna! I would never cheat on you! You're pregnant?"

"I only just found out this week!" Johanna said feebly. "So why do you keep staying out so late and why haven't you been coming to our bed as often? She's a Seer! She is a strong Seer! Let her touch you!"

"Johanna!" he said in exasperation, then came around to me and held out his arm.

"He isn't cheating on you with a woman, but he is sneaking out. His mother lives on the third level and she is dying. He is too sad to share a bed with you, he doesn't want you to know he isn't as strong as you think he is."

"Bryon!" she cried, running to him and hugging him.

"Well..." a woman across the table said lightly. "That answers that then, doesn't it? What else did you wish to address, Bennett... I mean, Hailene? Since you are first among us now."

I blinked and looked around in shock. I was what? And Bennett had been first? And he had no resentment at all! Of course he didn't, he hated being a part of this as much as I hated the thought of it.

Bennett sat up. "I want to address the state of the lower levels."

There were more arguments than I imagined there would be about making the quality of living better down below. It infuriated me how much they argued about giving up a few things to make sure those below had more.

"Things have been working well for generations!" A man yelled angrily. "We get one single Mole up here with a Spark and suddenly you want to change everything! We shouldn't have to give up anything we have worked so hard for!"

"YOU haven't worked hard!" I yelled. "YOU are a sack of puss living in decadence on the backs of those you have brought in to make your family stronger! People from lower levels who work and toil to make things for people up here! You have a stong Spark, yes, but how useless is it? How useless are you? You sit and make decisions for people who do the real work and you have never lifted a finger in your entire life! All you do is connive and backstab and try to raise your head higher than those around you! All of you! There are two people sitting at this table who are actually useful! The rest of you sit around and ACT important because you have a power you were BORN with! That woman there has worked, if not very hard, healing those around her who are important enough to heal. Even though she is strong and could do more, she refuses to go down a single level to help those who might need more than curing a little bump or bruise! And Bennett actually works like a machine, keeping his family and those they trade with in supplies, even if it is only supplies for the upper levels and very..."

"That is enough from you!" A tall older man yelled. "You will not come up here and demand change based on your narrow world view!"

"I WILL! Do you know why I will? Because your servants live better than entire families do on the seventh level! I have been in a servants room and it was bigger than my entire home that my whole family lived in! My sister and I shared a cushion that was smaller than a servants cot and my mother slept on the ground! We ate two small meals a day of a watery meal that we tried to spread out between us! The three of us subsisted in an entire week on what one of you people eat in one meal! Just because you are all greedy and think we are less than animals below! We deserve to live in filth, with no food, no light, no decent clothing, unless one of you arrogant assholes thinks you may GAIN something from us? I am not asking you. I am telling you. It will end. People deserve respect, they deserve food, they deserve not to die at the age of 25 to blacklung because no healers could be bothered."

"She is right," Bennett said, standing next to me. Emily stood next to him, then Mikkael, though his face was red and he was feeling unsure. "Things need to change. I saw how bad it is for myself. It's crowded and everyone is so sickly and it's dark and dirty. I wouldn't let our worst criminals live down there. We have the ability to clean it up, to make it better. To make all of it better and we need to."

"Or what? And what can she even do, really? Tell people their fortunes? Tell us each other's secrets? It's not as if her Spark is useful!" The tall man across from me said angrily.

"Oh, no," I said quietly. "That is not all I can do."

I circled the table and he took a nervous step back, but I laid hands on him and drained his Spark away completely.