All Comments on 'The Sparrow's Tale'

by RichardGerald

Sort by:
  • 70 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
You were right...

It was a little sloppy. You would have been better served to miss the group deadline, done a thorough proof, and submitted it later. As it stands now it will forever be an excellent story rushed to completion, hence an inferior product.

On the other hand, it was a creative little tale. I'm reminded the Indians used to refer to the domesticated European honey bee as white flies. Whenever they appeared the Indians knew trouble was near. Also 1759 was a watershed year for England; three great military victories over the French occurred that year. The English gave the year a specific name, but I can't recall what that name was.

About the sparrows. My first thought was the tale was much older and in Europe someplace. They've found well preserved remains dating to the time before Christ in I believe Holland. Also the sparrow was a bird associated with an ancient Celtic deity, a small woman, or girl, and companion of Lugus. I can't recall the deity's name, but her existence was widespread throughout the ancient Celtic world. Perhaps the story would have worked slightly more favorably if it had been centered in northern Europe, but then again who knows?

On a somber note; your story is part of a collection, part of a clique of writers as it were. It will be scored extremely high, as all those listed in that group will certainly give it a five. I am giving it a five also, but I always give fives.

Good story, clever concept.

Jedd Clampett (carvohi)

I always enjoy your contributions.

PowersworderPowersworderabout 5 years ago

A decent story, but the husband staying with Kathy while she cheated on him relentlessly was weird.

Jim must really hate his cock; everyone knows you don't bareback a whore. I just felt sorry for Laura.... who knows what STDs she picked up from having unprotected sex with the cuckold.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
always a good read

you're one of my favourite authors. Keep it up.

i did find the 'swayback house' hilarious. Great typo.

SequoiaSempervirensSequoiaSempervirensabout 5 years ago
Good story — 5*

I enjoyed the story. Thanks for writing and sharing.

BTW, you are correct. Climate change is a fact. I have only contempt for AGW deniers.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightabout 5 years ago
Nice story.

I enjoyed it a great deal. The good thing was the husband finally saw the light. Nice job!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Great story despite the typos!

Loved the story, it held this reader to the end. Well worth getting the typos corrected so they don't annoy some readers.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Beautiful

Loved it!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Not a great story

A great story doesn't rely on the stock LW weak/cuck husband character to generate plot movement, and a great story certainly doesn't doesn't rely on tired leftist social and political cliches to fill out the story. As for your views on global warming (which has now morphed into the meaningless "climate change" because the unadjusted data don't support it), who cares? Nice that you admit to having embraced something you are evidently ill equipped to evaluate, like the rest of you political/social views. I bet you still believe in the "Columbus and the flat earth" myth.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Very well written

But I knew this wouldn't be a good event for me as I am predisposed to dislike horror. But this wasn't really a horror story. More like a witches and myths story. One question. Jim and Laura know who the killer was. But the Police don't. Aren't Jim and Laura still in serious trouble? And didn't they just add to that trouble by killing Tim? And isn't Jim still married? This is another one of your stories where you've left your lead male character up the creek without a paddle.

clarkgarbleclarkgarbleabout 5 years ago
Just asking

5 stars! So what happened to the pesky police and all those murder charges, especially given that Jim really did just kill one of his wife's lovers? How does the ending make all that go away?

c24jc24jabout 5 years ago

Ireally enjoyed this, My only qualm was with your apparent definitions in your final statements . . .

it is a fact not a theory' -- No debate on the subject, just on the usage. 'Fact' and 'theory' are close to synonymous in science. in regular use, many think of 'theory' as being synonymous with 'idea' or 'speculation' . . . but it's not. Theories have been tested and proven.

The Earth is spherical, it circles the sun, objects with mass attract due to gravity . . . these are ALL 'theories'. The more a theory is proven describes how 'robust' it is. The more it can be used to predict other actions describes its 'reliability'. All theories have 'proven', and it's very, very rare for one to be disproved.

Now, some say Einsteinian theories disprove Newtonian theories, but really, Newtonian theories are accurate for most macro purposes, they just don't work well as velocities approach that of light, or something approaches near 0 degrees K, or in high gravity etc. Newer theories refine the old. Attacking those two theories is akin to saying that there's a theory that the Earth is spherical, but another says it's an oblate spheroid . . . so both are wrong, and the Earth must be flat. Sorry, but really both are right, and the second simply refines the first, and is more accurate in finer delineation.

You are being quite pragmatic in believing theory.

Okay, climbing off soapbox.

Good, fun story.!!

MattblackUKMattblackUKabout 5 years ago
A great story.

It was well-told and also very moving.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Really glad for you that some people liked it.

I thought it was a great plot idea, but the execution was lame, contrived, and the main character acquiescing to cuckoldry was obnoxious and repugnant. Why would the Indian princess want such a weak disconsolate poltroon? Intelligent people don't enable a spouse's addiction. Kathy needed to get treatment, or get divorced.

But I know you have a weakness for weak men. Which is unfortunate, since sometimes you do really really well, like with "Slow Dance." No hesitation or indecision there!

I prefer the Richard Gerald with balls. Get the Indian Princess to go conjure up that man, and leave the big tall fool to go find another whore to waste his life on.

andyinozandyinozabout 5 years ago
Like a few of the other commenters...

... I would like to know if the couple were able to successfully defend the murder charges, and what became of the slut wife.

Otherwise, quite a good read, I thought.

tazz317tazz317about 5 years ago
THOSE WHO DO NOT RESPECT CULTURAL AND OTHERS BELIEFS

are doomed to relive in the present/ TK U MLJ LV NV

ju8streadingju8streadingabout 5 years ago

so who will the cops pin with the murders?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
amazing tale

but that wife was no 11 on a 1-10 scale.

she was a solid 4. super hot, aging, career oriented, and slutty.

men don't give a shit if a woman makes money, men only want fertile, young, and healthy. she's not young anymore, she's not as fertile, and being a slut is usually unhealthy (mentally and physically) she's a 4 for relationships.

as a pump n' dump, she's a solid 8. down to fuck, attached to another, and might be full of stds....so a rubber. solid 8.

xtchrxtchrabout 5 years ago
Enjoyable Story!

Yes, I enjoyed this story. It was a little different. I usually don't like horror or sci fi, but this one i liked. The only thing that I didn't quite understand, is why the husband stayed with a cheating wife?

Thanks for the story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Absolutely

A very nice little story

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Always intriguing

My gosh do I despise your male characters with their willingness to be spineless men of morals and principals when it comes to their wives adultery. In saying that, you write brilliantly with twists and turns and never fail to make me come back for more...well done.

gatorhermitgatorhermitabout 5 years ago
Interesting story

Paced about right. Hubby got rid of the slut wife and upgraded. The innocent girl finally found peace. Very good!

patilliepatillieabout 5 years ago
Decent story

and you are in general a wonderful writer. However, no one is interested in your ruminations on evolution or climate change. And both are hardly "facts" as you state.

oldbearswitcholdbearswitchabout 5 years ago
The story was amazing enough, but that you slipped it deftlt, densly, deliciously into just THREE?

To Quote Bill and Ted, "We're not worthy!"

Props for the Natural and Cultural History inclusions. #AncientWaysStrong. #BlowSeminoleWind

MichaelFitzgeraldMichaelFitzgeraldabout 5 years ago
Satisfying

I enjoyed the interplay of the battle to save the remains and their new relationship. Fun to read. Thanks.

enjayemenjayemabout 5 years ago
A great tale

And well told

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Interesting change

Interesting story. Nice change from the regular stuff here.

silentsoundsilentsoundabout 5 years ago
Nice.

Hitchcock indeed.

Of course Kathy didn't care witchcock now did she?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Can you please finish Crime & Punishment: The Prequel

I have been a fan of yours from your first story. But it’s not nice to keep readers hanging. Have been waiting eagerly for you to finish the story and tie up all the loose ends.

Many thanks.

FabGMxFabGMxabout 5 years ago
Agree, there is just one plot left...

Unresolved, the fate of the characters, we dont know if they are capable of defend their innocence, because you know Jim motive's and the detectives are pretty much sure about they have their man. And the last death, its pretty much the word of their two suspects so there is that.

I must say that Laura its a change in your style or maybe its you just trying new things, since i dont remember if in any character in your stories sides with your MC while calling out him about being such a wimp.

To those still bitching about willing cuckolds and slut wives that escape any consequences... its a RG work people! come on, sans new readers many of us know the style and topics that RG likes to put in his stories,

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 5 years ago
Thoughts

"crawled up her husband to plant her sloppy sex over his mouth." - Eww! Who else's cream pie did he eat

"But what was there to be done? Kathy was Kathy, and there was the fact of it." - Divorce her?

"What are you doing, I'm a married man?" - So? His wife is a married woman, doing FAR more than kissing!

"Sara Brandt" - Sara? I thought she was Laura?

@Anonymous Re: "Not a great story" - No, "Global Warming" hasn't morphed into Climate Change, it was misnamed from the start.

As for the charges, I would assume that they can now have the Police track Watson's text message. Plus, I would wager that Watson's fingerprints are the prevalent ones on the gun.

26thNC26thNCabout 5 years ago
Great

That was really a great story. I enjoyed the history woven into a modern ghost story, that culminates in murder over a cheating wife. A good tale that fits well into the invitational. Another good effort for RG.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago

In the 1970s, we were heading towards another ice age. Then it was global warming, and the inconvenient truth was that NYC was going to be 20 feet underwater by now. Due to the melting ice caps. Now it's the nebulous "climate change." So they no longer have to pick a direction. Any change will do.

green117green117about 5 years ago
Despite it all, the commentariat is riled...

Anywho - glad to see the story... it seemed a bit rushed towards the end. Perhaps a result of a group effort/invitational?

The Karen character is of course a bit controversial... if you had given her more space, and perhaps some more internal dialog, then we could have examined the slut female verses slut male thing. The scary thing here? Not sure - could have been the geek without a clue, like stev2244's piece.

But I'm really commenting on the science stuff in the comments... a lot of misunderstanding is out there. "Fact" normally means observables - "that bird is a black crow". Hypothesis is a synthesis of a bunch of observables - not quite a generalization "all the crows I have seen are black" but a bit more "all crows are black". Theory is a hypothesis that has survived a lot of testing driven by the predictions of the hypothesis - "600 studies of crows around the world yielded only black crows".

"Global Warming" and "Climate Change" are really two aspects of the same thing - global average temperature rising which drives changes in climate. The reason for using two names is obnoxiousness on the part of ... well.... you. Do you remember the "save the spotted owl" thing? People fixated on the owl ("why do we care about a stinkin' owl?") and for political/economic reasons didn't listen to "the spotted owl is an apex predator in the forest ecosystem and we use it as a marker for the health of the ecosystem as a whole - we can improve and track the health of the forest by improving and tracking the health of the owl component".

So! Do we see average temperatures rising? The reports I see say yes. Are the predicted increase in extreme weather events seen? Again, yes. Do studies {observations) of the arctic ice cap show decreases? Yes.

Global warming is observed and so is a fact. Climate change is apparently happening, and so is a prediction that appears to be coming true.

And so forth. Why is this a matter of serious dissension and craziness? In that question lies some interesting stuff (why is science now political?), which I will not go into here. But do realize - this matter is not something that the story was about, or what the author wanted to go into. In fact, the subsistence of the landfill would drive the plot point regardless. So why do we still fuss here?

YMMV.

Green-something

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
good to see...

I am bolstered by the reality of more and more "regular people" coming forth to object to the defamation we all know as "global warming/climate change/climate catastrophe/human breathing/cow flatulence". Apparently more than a few of us paid attention during grade school in science class (as that is all needed to debunk this ridiculous effort of the left).

In the same breath I am sad. RG was one of the "better" authors on this site. I had enjoyed his submissions (to a point), if only because he checked his spelling. To now learn that he's joined the communists to depreciate the western world and what we have built is disheartening. It only shows that we have a lot of work to do to set the record straight. Too many people STILL believe in hockey stick graphs and vegetarianism, as well as jealousy (for those who risked it all, only to win the entrepreneur "wheel of fortune"). If you like to eat rabbit food, so be it. Do not force the rest of us to understand your predilection, just like those who want to cut off their genitals. Go for it, just don't expect me to underwrite your lunacy.

We are unconcerned with what you do in your spare time, or the choices you make for yourself. If you want to date a fellow man or woman, fine with us. If you believe in carbon pollution, I suggest starting at a local level - hold your breath. Your use/manipulation of unregulated oxygen is an issue we ARE concerned with.

Smokepole

the original

BuzzCzarBuzzCzarabout 5 years ago
Creative Plot

Very well told. Short story but well developed characters and setting. Loved it.

Now on to Ch 12 of Crime & Punishment, please?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
I almost always suspected, as I read in some comments, that

you are Matt Moreau; for a change, the hero is 6' 8", unlike the regulars of MM.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 5 years ago
@Anonymous Smokepole

Apparently you DIDN'T pay attention in science class, or you would realize that climate change is real.

maninconnmaninconnabout 5 years ago
Nice!

‘Nuff said.

26thNC26thNCabout 5 years ago
Geez

This used to be a simple porn site where we read stories, praised the occasional BTB and railed against the cuckolds. Then we had the insidious creep of political animosity into our stories and commentary. Now the global warming, climate change argument is here. What next? How about important things, like when will Tom Brady begin to decline, or is Mike Trout a $460,000,000.00 man? How about just back to good stories and bashing cucks.

DearfieldDearfieldabout 5 years ago
Great short story

I liked the short story it had adulterous wife,murder,and Historical Fiction.and spirit’s and a reminder not to fuck with ancient burial grounds.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
Two Stars, Sorry

I hate bad spelling in good stories.

Decedent?

Principle?

Grown?

Were?

payenbrantpayenbrantabout 5 years ago
Evolution....

Is a theory.... Not a fact. Been a while since you have been in the public school system huh? Lol

extemporeextemporeabout 5 years ago
Fun and Interesting story

It's nice to have other ideas along with the cheating wives and cuckold husbands etc.

Evolution IS a theory. One that is backed up by voluminous evidence and filled with disagreements about the details.

Far more convincing than Adam and Eve, since it would take much more than six thousand years for some people to become as stupid as they now are! Also, having lived for seventy years and actually paid attention for part of that time, I'm well aware that Winters were, on average, much tougher 30 to 40 years ago than they are now. Why else is the Arctic Ice cap disappearing?

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 5 years ago
@payenbrant Re: Evolution

You obviously confuse the scientific usage of theory with common usage.

In common usage, a theory is little more than an idea: "Hmm, I've got a theory on how to fix the lottery."

In scientific usage, a theory gets tested against observable facts, and as long as the observable facts support the theory then it is accepted. ALL of the observable facts (fossils, carbon dating, DNA, etc,) support the theory of evolution, making it, in common usage, a "fact."

Rhinoman1951Rhinoman1951about 5 years ago
Climate change is real!

The earth constantly changes. Of course, sinful man is the cause of all this change. Before man's factory and auto exhaust, etc pollution destroyed the climate, the ice mass carved out great canyons and gorges. Oh, wait. Man didn't exist then. Hmmm. Maybe mother earth changes with or without man. I, for one, am tired of self-promoting millionaires flying around in PRIVATE jets telling me I'm not sacrificing enough. Almost as sickening as rich, elitist SOCIALISTS convincing ignorant (naive? ) voters that they - the voters - can have everything FREE if we just tax the rich. No, not us, we're only millionaires. We mean the really rich. Why would Bernie give up his millions in real estate? Why would he give up his private jet trips?

In the 60s, I experienced the brown horizon from Santa Monica beach. Drove through smog as thick as any Tule fog ever encountered. Many of our waterways were vile cesspools. While not perfect, we reversed those conditions. If the environmentalists really cared, their efforts would be directed to those who continue gross pollution. The water events in the Rio Olympics required the athletes to avoid contact with grossly contaminated ocean. Air quality in China, India and many other countries is abysmal. Where is the outrage? Where are the organized actions to demand these conditions be improved to at least the UNITED STATES level. Logic dictates we examine the ROI of efforts. Simple concept that Return On Investment. If we say the U.S. is at 80% towards acceptable levels. Then China and India are, at best, at 20%. Even if we bankrupt the U.S. and achieve perfection, we would still be breathing the pollution created in China and India, etc. The U.S. spends millions to clean the sewage dumped into the Rio Grande by Mexico. Yet, sections continue too dangerous for human contact.

Sorry, RG, I ignored your request re: climate comments. I was too tempted to interject some reality. As for the story, I gave things a slide since you forewarned us of the rush. I can't suffer fools gladly, so the knowing but tolerating cuckold was a tough chew. He seems necessary as a plot device, but still left a bitter taste. Overall, a 4. Thank you for your efforts.

Lit. censors. Why is it Okay to kill 4 men, 1 on stage (as it were? ) Yet the death of 1 woman bans Girl in the Moon's The Beach House?

green117green117about 5 years ago
by the way...

by the way...

RG just posted the end installment of C and P on the other site.

Green-something

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
A Much Better Than Average Tale

Global warming is not a myth intended to weaken the American manufacturing sector, for automation and moving labor-intensive jobs to where slave wages are paid are facts.

IMHO, more details of the relevant history would have made this story better for me. I happen to like that kind of thing. It makes the sex better!

jtwheelsjtwheelsalmost 5 years ago
Like her he cuckold can't help herself my ass

She deserves better for her 4 stars for him none

Curse took care of cheaters in providing spot

schulz777schulz777almost 5 years ago
3 starrs

nopt his best story

InsigniaInsigniaalmost 5 years ago
Climate deniers

Are the cucks of the energy consortia. They eat Saudi cream pies and tap to Keystone ads.

Interesting story that was submitted in a rush. I get it. It would be nice if authors could come back later and revise as appropriate. Thanks for the tale.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
A nice chapter...

The irony, the only man the wife loves is the one she hurts the most but at the same time is the only one that can truly hurt her.

NitpicNitpicalmost 4 years ago
Why

Why did he not tell Watson he had left Kathy,to save them.Also what happened to Kathy,there was no way she was going to agree to the divorce?.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

I buy it. Some men and women simply cannot stop cheating. They get addicted to the emotional rush. Laura was right though, Jim enabled her.

someoneothersomeoneotherover 3 years ago

Just another well-written and unique story by RG. Another 5*.

dgfergiedgfergiealmost 3 years ago

Another good story, peoples lives ruled by lust and warped minds.

NitpicNitpicover 2 years ago
Why

Why if he knows the land is unsuitable for building on is he in a consortium,to do just that?.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

neat

mrbill

5sssss

dark2donut2dark2donut2over 1 year ago

Good story except that I expected a more straightforward ending. The two protagonists are not saved yet, they are now both main suspects for the death of "Tim Watson" meaning the story lacks a resolution.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Huh? Kathy is addicted to cheating? Jim is indeed and enabling cuckold. The instant relationship between Jim and Laura was weird. And the police really suck at their job. Since everyone died there they would shut the site down. Didn't Pierce get torn apart? This was confusing. Also an abrupt ending

ZippityDoDaDayZippityDoDaDayover 1 year ago

Very confusing, not your best writing.

oldtwitoldtwitover 1 year ago

Liked the plot but you spoiled it by rushing it at the end

davezqdavezqover 1 year ago

This had much substance and was quite unconventional for Loving Wives. Kathy actually was sympathetic to a degree, and Wilson's love for her, the addict. Glad to see he got away though.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

RichardGerald

While you got a grade of 5 from myself. I thought it was a little to much Hitchcock.

RichardGerald You have written an number well graded stories, Thus my respect.

RCD

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Good plot but just another cuckold, kept man MC, I wish this author would vary the script occasionally, unfortunately I think he's a one trick pony.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Good but sad story. Usually I despise the recidivist cheating wife, but here Kathy really has a mental problem. Now I don't understand why her husband stays with her so long. That makes no sense. But she is portrayed as an addict who cannot stop no matter how much she wants to. Some people are just broken. And yes the MC was an enabler.

SignedBTWSignedBTW7 months ago

I'm Making A Guess Here

I've done a lot of background reading and some serious research over the last few decades regarding Hitch. He is on record as having said he only had sex once, which was with his wife, he didn't like it and the ultimate result was the birth of his daughter.

There was a serious, dark side to Hitch regarding blondes, watch his movies and see how many blondes there were and pay close attention to the number that he placed in serious harms way. He nearly cost Tippi Hedren an eye during the filming of 'The Birds' as in the beginning those were real birds thrown in her face when they attacked. She ended up having mental breakdown as a result. Then check out his fascination with Grace Kelly. The man was a genius with little comparison to other directors, however, in other ways he was a monster. Doesn't take long to discover more about how he treated his leading ladies and those he abused you could bet the farm on were going to, blondes.

It wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong, but I strongly believe RG has done a bit of background reading on the Master and figured it into a well done, entertaining story. For once when reading one of his tales, I don't find that I only enjoy the quality of his work, I also don't find myself being disgusted by nearly all of his fine tuned characters. In fact, in Kathy's case I feel sorry for her. If there was ever a follow up chapter or if someone were to write a sequel, unless they could find a way to radically change her being she would end up alone, unloved. I believe there is a difference between being lonely and being alone, but in Kathy's case I would expect both. As for Jim being a willing cuckold I'd tend to dispute that as would a number of men mentioned in the story who thought they could get away with disrespect directed to his face. Obviously, he was in love, slowly coming to grips with what he knew he would have to do. Me, I couldn't have done what he did putting up with it for the length of time he did, there wasn't even the crutch of staying for the children to justify it. I'll just leave it to the idea that both people in this tilted marriage had serious flaws in their characters and somehow managed to find each other, for a while. Thanks, RG. I saw a comment about you being a one trick pony, maybe, sometimes, but this wasn't one of them and I don't always look for a Hallmark ending either.

*****'s Signed: BTW

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

I read American vs European sparrows and suddenly went to Monty Python's Holy Grail regarding swallows (African or European). Lol.

AnonymousAnonymous11 days ago

Strange tale, well told. Five stars.

JPB NOT BOB

RobcolesRobcolesabout 5 hours ago

Brilliant tale, well written, an easy 5* from me.

This isn’t a criticism, just a FYI. There are a few spelling mistakes, such as this one right at the start “swaybacked house”.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous