All Comments on 'Oblivion & Doubt Ch. 12'

by SiteNonSite

Sort by:
  • 21 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Well, I love your writing and I cannot lie...I wished this had ended differently, but I am afraid that Leethie would not allow it to turn out differently. Please keep writing...you write so well.

SiteNonSiteSiteNonSiteover 2 years agoAuthor

I get it Anon, the problem with a prologue series is we know where things end up (just not why). T&A1 filers a happy ending for Miranda, if not Leethie. But since I might revisit that story as a series, maybe we’ll get to see more, from Miranda’s POV… no promises, but it is something I’m thinking about. Thanks so much for following along.

MigbirdMigbirdover 2 years ago

“Oblivion and Doubt” coupled with its essential preamble “Truth and Admiration” is a remarkable achievement in erotic writing. The visual artistry surrounding the volatile Miranda-Leethie relationship is simply incredible throughout this series. In this closing chapter, for example, the “stink” metaphor that literally covers Leethie perfectly captures the demise of this love story. Leaving aside how I would have liked this story to play out, a disappointment that speaks to the author’s creativity, I am troubled by one thing in this closing chapter and curious about another: The peeing scene strikes me as unnecessary and more importantly inconsistent with the complexity of this relationship. Not because it was degrading (that was the point, I assume), rather both Miranda and Leethie act out of character for this terribly complex, hardly straightforward s/d relationship (if there is such a thing) — for example see the beautiful love making in the woods and in the sauna (earlier chapters) where Miranda assumes priority. Second, got to wonder why Miranda did no more than make one unanswered call to Leethie after she disappeared; probably wishful thinking on my part. Bottom line: incredible storyline, memorable characters, beautifully mesmerizing imagery. Thank you for creating and sharing.

SiteNonSiteSiteNonSiteover 2 years agoAuthor

I have been looking forward to your feedback Migbird. You are the close reader that I imagine all authors on this site crave when they ask for comments. Knowing that you have been following OD as it unfolds has kept me on my toes.

In regards to the piss scene. I take it seriously that you feel it’s out of character (rather than a kink you don’t enjoy). It means I didn’t do my part to sufficiently prepare the way for the scene, to explain it - which is going to wear on me. In my imagination, at that moment in the story Leethie is angry at Miranda. She has, in her mind, sacrificed herself and taken on Thom for Miranda’s benefit. And at first, you're right I think, it’s meant to be degrading.

All love affairs are games of power played by two, but in a d/s one person NEEDS to imagine they are in charge. The “sub” has an enormous amount of power, in the fact that both players know. At any moment, the so-called sub can have enough and quit. That truth has got to be terrifying for the so-called dom to live with. I wanted to show Miranda upending the game in a different way, in her refusal to be degraded, in her embrace of her role so entirely, she shocks Leethie out of her anger and self loathing. (If only for a moment.)

That’s what I was trying to do.

As for the end… that last phone call and the mixed tapes and best wishes for the engagement have all been wearing on me since I posted. So when I submitted the story to change the title I took them out.

I decided I wanted to show that standing in the doorway, watching Leethie and Thom, that Miranda had quit the game.

That’s not saying Miranda would have rejected Leethie if she had come to her, only that she would not have called or sent tapes. Miranda was done playing that role for Leethie, the game is over, Miranda is refusing to play.

arcfox420arcfox420over 2 years ago

I am very sad to see this story end on the note that it did. Not to take anything away from the erotic elements but I must admit I followed it more for the character development than for the erotic elements. As others have commented it was not the ending I was hoping for either.

I also feel that Leethie's story is not over. I certainly can't imagine her ever finding happiness in her situation.

I hope that one day the creative itch will strike and you will once again be inspired to share more of the character's lives.

SiteNonSiteSiteNonSiteover 2 years agoAuthor

Thanks so much for following along arcfox, I really appreciate your time and attention, and in a funny way I share your disappointment. I created Leethie to be a monster with the hope that I could make us love her, even though we knew she was doomed. For myself I succeeded. I really loved her. I wanted her to slip the trap.

At the onset of this series I said I was writing from Leethie’s POV as a gimme to all the readers who have asked me to write from Michele’s POV (something I considered early on but shelved, then decided against). But it was also a chance to work something out of my system. When I started The Stronger Girl I felt certain it would end with heartbreak, especially for Michele. As I grew to know and love those characters I began to wonder if Michele could slip the trap. Im far less inclined to end Michele’s story tragically now. I feel like I’ve gotten that out of my system.

I’m not sure if Leethie’s story is over either. I doubt I’ll return to her POV. I really like the idea of telling more of Miranda’s story but I have no idea what it is, so who knows, maybe Leethie will reappear.

haltwhogoestherehaltwhogoesthereover 2 years ago

So SNS - I've been trying to digest this and put something coherent down as feedback. First off, I want you to know that as much as I've come to appreciate your Nolan-esque time skipping, both here and in TSG, I don't normally react well to that (I dislike the Nolan movies for that very reason). Somehow, this chapter hit that nerve even more strongly than the earlier chapters or in TSG (although you have accused me of reading too early in the morning to think clearly in the past, so I may have to grant that as a factor!). Somehow I was really drawn to Leethie and Miranda, even though d/s is not my kink IRL, as you know. Especially Leethie received way more of my sympathetic thoughts than I thought she would when the series started. I guess I was just sad at the end. Happy for Miranda to finally be out of the game, as you said, but sad that Leethie just never seemed to be able to be honest and true with herself about her nature, and now seems to be facing a future with Thom (oddly, no felt sympathy there in spite of a shared name) that she neither wants nor deserves. I know I prefer the 'mostly happy ever after' story lines and this runs counter to that preference, so that also may be contributing to my unsettledness at the ending, but no way did I ever expect this to fit in that box anyway. In spite of my linear mind and sappy heart, I'll happily anticipate reading your next brain spill...and all the provoking thoughts that come with it !

SiteNonSiteSiteNonSiteover 2 years agoAuthor

I’ve been hoping you would comment because i’ve really looking forward to your thoughts. It’s funny that you start with the time skipping, one of the things I set out to do with T&A, and then OD, was avoid Annie-esque memory fugues - and I think I managed it pretty well through the fist half/two-thirds of OD, but then I slipped back into my old ways. (When you don’t have a plan, it’s a very attractive mechanism for backtracking and in-filling. Im very glad to hear you sympathized with Leethie. My aim was to create a monster and see if I could make the monster attractive enough that we would fall in love with her, knowing full well she was a monster. I’m very glad to know her fall makes you sad. It makes me sad too.

The ending was so narrowly locked in however, I couldn’t even give Miranda the catharsis of confronting Leethie or walking out on her and Thom. (That was very frustrating and something I will think about long and hard before I ever take on a preamble series ever again.) I did try and deliver on the emotion I think the break up deserved. I think Miranda has proved herself to be very lovable. I can easily imagine how devastating it would be to lose her. I hope that at least was satisfying.

Meanwhile I’m hoping to write some more linear sappy stuff soon. Maybe even a romcom…

AshleyyAshleyyover 2 years ago

Great series. However I was not going to comment this but I am not a fan of the “black girl” being used as insult. It’s very effective and this was the 2 be time it was used. I support a lot of your stories you have seen my comments multiple times and I never have anything negative to say but it was very disturbing to read.

SiteNonSiteSiteNonSiteover 2 years agoAuthor

Hi Ashleyy, I apologize if I offended, that is never my intention. And to be clear, as I imagined it (and intended it to be understood) Leethie was teasing Miranda, but not insulting her. I thought of it as a way Leethie would point out a feature of Miranda’s that she admired, but that Miranda felt self conscious about. As with a lot of things, Leethie says things, and says things in ways that I never would. I tried to take advantage of that here out of a desire to same the same thing (“bubble butt”) in a new way. Admittedly crude and a generalization, but really not used with malice (by either the author or the character). Meanwhile I am so happy to see you read the series, and are still enjoying the writing. I hope you will accept my apology, and that my explanation makes some sense. Thanks so much for telling me. I’ll use more care going forward.

AshleyyAshleyyover 2 years ago

Hi SNS,

I am a monster! I am soooooo sorry! I completely misunderstood what you were conveying! I feel soooo bad! Honestly I’m going to go ahead and delete my last comment. I am totally in the wrong. I went ahead and re read and I see exactly what you mean! I was just on edge because I had read a story that was very disturbing that I had to report and it was taken down!

I hope you can accept my apology! You are an amazing writer and I always look forward to your uploads and I love how you interact with your readers it was totally on my part for misunderstanding! Feel free to us my name for a character getting punished in the next series lol jkjkjk! I’m going to go a head and reread Stronger girl for the 10000 time until you tell me I’m forgivin :( you’re so sweet!!

SiteNonSiteSiteNonSiteover 2 years agoAuthor

I’m so glad to know it was a misunderstanding, and am very sorry to hear about the other story. There is so much awful hate and contempt floating around in our body politics. I don’t want to be a part of that. I really do hope you will leave your comments up. I think it’s important for other readers to see (because maybe you aren’t the only one who will feel that way). There is nothing to forgive, but I do like the idea of you rereading The Stronger Girl, that those stories are worth returning to. I am so happy all is well between us. xoxo

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Enjoyed the story.... don't know how I feel about her ending up with Thom... I knew it wouldn't be a happy ending with Miranda, but I figured Leethie would end up with some guy we don't know about if anything. Marry Thom is an interesting choice, self punishing I suppose

SiteNonSiteSiteNonSiteover 2 years agoAuthor

Thanks so much for reading Anon. The first scene I wrote from Leethie’s POV was her looking in the mirror at herself, trying on the bridal dress, between Miranda and Thom and herself, so for me that ending was baked in. (Originally it was the first scene of the first chapter..) The effort - over however many months it took to write - was to make that both a compelling and convincing ending for you. That you got through to the end makes me hope I succeeded.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Just finished, so exhausted emotionally by this mesmerizing story telling. Really don't like leethie but not sure that you do either. A real achievement to write about such disparate characters so well. More please but thanks over and over for these stories so far.

SiteNonSiteSiteNonSiteover 2 years agoAuthor

So glad you liked the story telling Anon, it has been a great pleasure for me to discover I am a story teller. I have real affection for Leethie, as maddeningly frustrating as she is, no small part of me wishes she could have slipped the trap I’d set for her.

Mykymyk2Mykymyk2over 2 years ago

After reading this, I jumped over to T&A and I am delighted to see Miranda’s story somewhat resolved, or at least finding some joy. However, despite your warning in the beginning that Leethie is not redeemed in O&D, I feel that there’s something missing in her arc. Sure, she’s punished for her ‘sins’ but what if any wisdom has she gained? Maybe if you’re so inclined, you can revisit her in a future chapter of T&A. Not looking for fan service, I respect your art too much for that, but if you are interested in Leethie enough you might find a better end than to leave her wallowing in the hell (or miasma as it were) of a failed relationship, suicide attempt and what is sure to be a dreadful marriage.

But you know, 5 stars, keep up the good work and all that.

SiteNonSiteSiteNonSiteover 2 years agoAuthor

So glad you enjoyed the series mykymyk2. I understand it’s difficult to leave Leethie there. The truth is I have no plan for a T&A2, but as I finished OD I thought a lot about what it would mean for Leethie and Miranda to meet again… but no story came to mind.

AmberCloudAmberCloudabout 2 years ago

This is a powerful story, with compelling, human characters. Leethie is a mass of contradictions and self-hatred, and it’s obvious that she carries that weight with her. I hope you’ll revisit her character at some point. It would be great to see her acknowledge her feelings and come to terms with the damage she’s done to herself and those around her. I know not every story needs resolution but I’ve enjoyed seeing her develop as a person, from someone I actively loathed to a damaged girl I was rooting for.

SiteNonSiteSiteNonSiteabout 2 years agoAuthor

I am very proud to hear how far The needle swing for you AmberCloud. I don’t think I ever actively loathed Leethie, but I wanted my readers to. But like you I was rooting for Leethie at the end, and sad for her. I have no to return to those stories, but I don’t plan NOT to either… so who knows. Thanks so much for reading and for leaving a comment. I really appreciate it.

Nicole2023Nicole2023almost 2 years ago

How you make me hate Leethie, feel sad for her at the same time? I was so hoping to see a different resolution for these two. Thom still an jerk, didn't see the cliffhanger coming. 5 5 5

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userSiteNonSite@SiteNonSite
I am a visual artist. I lurked Literotica for over a decade as an anonymous reader. I'm not sure why I decided to write, but I am very glad I did. A bit of background: when I was much younger than Annie is in my stories I started having group sex with an older girl and boy...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES