The Subtle Arts Pt. 01 Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Just don't break anyone..." Brianna laughed.

Too soon, they said their goodbyes. Brianna had an early bus to catch and Hal still hadn't packed. Hal walked back to his apartment, and darkness took him almost before his head hid his pillow.

***

It was two in the afternoon on Sunday by the time Hal's eyes finally creaked open again. They were red and puffy, and his throat was raw. Had he been crying? He didn't remember... and then he did. It hit him all at once, like a wave. Not one of the little whitecaps that lapped the shores of Lake Dallas, but one of the big breakers that pounded the barrier islands off North Carolina's outer banks. It bowled him over, spun him in circles, and threatened to drown him. He had cheated on Ally. True, he had not actually had sex with Brianna, but the difference was negligible in the eyes of a committed relationship. Now, it wouldn't matter if he came clean about his powers to Brianna or not, they would be over anyway. Fuck.

Eventually, his logical side won over. Well, I can't take it back now, and I'll have plenty of time to beat myself to a pulp on the bus and airplane. Right now, though, I have to pack and get ready to meet Master Kerrigan tonight. He was unpleasantly surprised at the time blinking on his phone. Ugh using my powers last night must have really drained my batteries. It's gonna be a long ass day.

And it was.

The only thing that moved slower than Hal glacially packing away the few toiletries, electronics, and various accoutrements was the time. Finally, after the passing of an ice age or two, it was time to shower and get ready to meet his master for dinner. He had no idea what to expect, but if there was going to be a lesson involved, Hal figured it would be best if he dressed practically. He chose faded jeans and a tee shirt.

Kerrigan wasn't hard to spot sitting under one of the umbrellas in Kira's small outdoor section. Hal sat down across from his master, who greeted him warmly, "Good evening Hal, I trust you are well?"

By now, Hal was used to Kerrigan's formal, slightly pedantic, way of speaking, and answered in kind. "Yes master, I'm doing well this evening, although I admit your invitation took me by surprise."

"Yes, I apologize for the odd locale, but I've been meaning to do this for some time actually. There is much I can teach you at the Academy, but much else in the realm of life magic requires the presence of other minds."

That piqued Hal's curiosity. "Are we going to start making suggestions to other minds master?" Hal asked, referring to the method by which mages 'controlled' the actions of others.

"No Hal, you are still too raw for that lesson, despite your quick learning. However, I do want to discuss it with you, briefly."

Hal was confused, "I don't entirely understand Master..."

"Hal," Kerrigan started, "your power has grown quickly, and it is apparent that, like your mother, you are quite skilled in these areas of magic." Hal couldn't hide the scowl that darkened his face at the mention of his mother.

Kerrigan sped up so as not to be interrupted. "You should take that as compliment Hal... Anyway, my point is, you have progressed to the point where you will be tempted to experiment with your powers."

Hal blushed as he recalled the scene of Brianna spasming on his throbbing cock. "...Or perhaps you already have." Kerrigan said, noticing his flush. "Regardless, this experimentation is a perfectly natural way for you to develop your powers, and I don't wish to discourage it. However, I do want to give you a word of caution. You can easily harm yourself, or another, if you take things too far. Don't get carried away, and always start small."

"Furthermore, there are a few things that I must expressly forbid. Chief among them, attempting to influence another mind. It is not a question of raw power, but of finesse, and it can have disastrous consequences for everyone involved if you bungle the attempt. Do you understand?"

"Yes master," Hal replied, and he meant it. Last night was too intoxicating not to continue experimenting, but he saw how easy it would be for something to go wrong.

Kerrigan looked at him thoughtfully before replying. "Good. Now, there is one last thing I wish to tell you before we start your lesson." Kerrigan paused again, and Hal had the impression that this next bit would be unpleasant. He was right.

"You may not know this, but your mother and I stay in regular correspondence. She was one of my most gifted pupils, and I like to keep abreast of her doings." That last bit had the ring of rationalization. "So, it wasn't out of the ordinary that I received a letter from her last week."

Hal was liking this less and less as Kerrigan continued to talk. "What did it say?" He rasped past a suddenly dry throat.

"Kerrigan's reply was, at least, delicately worded. "The contents of a letter are, naturally, private; however, given your strained relationship with your mother I thought it would be prudent to divulge some of her plans to you. She had business in Paris last week and decided to change her return arrangements to fly back to the States with you on Tuesday afternoon."

"Why the fuck would she do that?" Hal blurted. Catching his master's expression, he tried again. "Sorry master, I mean, why would she change her plans for me? She's never deigned to acknowledge my existence before."

"I cannot know her plans Hal," Kerrigan replied sympathetically, "but I suspect that your judgement of her might be a bit off target. I don't mean to say that she doesn't deserve your anger, but she is your mother, and I suspect that she actually cares for you very much." Kerrigan coughed, and summer lightning crackled in the distance. "...somewhere deep, deep inside."

***

Not even the lesson about scanning minds in a crowd could temper Hal's sour mood. On top of an hours long bus ride to London, a night in a (probably) crappy hotel, followed by a day and a half of standing in lines and sitting in an airplane seat, AND guilty thoughts about Brianna to look forward too, he now had to spend the entire flight stuck next to his least favorite person in the world.

Hal finished packing the few things he would be bringing with him, and with nothing left to do, fell into bed early. It was a long time before sleep came to him, but eventually it did.


12