The Sunshine Project Pt. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well, I just want the guns. If you resize me and give me the guns, I won't tell a soul." She shivers again and sighs. "I'm hungry too."

"I can't just resize you. It's not just my life on the line. Allie is involved too. She has to be okay with this. It would go a long way if you were just nice to her." I think about what I have in the house to eat and wonder if it would be better to just run out. I'd have to stuff her in the laundry hamper again. I tried the kennel with Shep, but he wouldn't leave her alone. So we settled on my toolbox on top of the hamper to make sure she can't escape. I let her out when I'm here, but when I leave or sleep, she has to be locked up. I can't trust a thing she says.

The door swings open, and Allie walks in looking tired. She shuts the door and drops her satchel on the table by the stairs. In one hand she has a six pack of beer, and in the other she carries a takeout sack. She's brought Wendy's cheeseburgers, and they smell heavenly.

"Oh thank fuck, it's food." Cora pops to her feet and has a genuine smile. "Give me one."

Allie rolls her eyes and drops the bag of food on the coffee table, and I reach for her hand. It's becoming more and more natural for me to initiate physical contact with her, especially now that I know she wants to keep Beck around a while longer. She tells me it's because she wants to ensure Beck won't say anything, but I see the way Beck looks at her. I feel threatened by it, so I initiate physical connection with her because I know it's her love language.

"Long day?"

"Yeah," she says, plopping down on the couch. She nearly sits on Cora who scurries away. I hear Cora mutter a cuss word under her breath, but Allie doesn't seem to notice.

"Want me to help you relax?" I ask, pulling a cheeseburger out. Taking care of Cora is coming second nature too. After a week of caring for tiny Allie, I feel like a mother. I unwrap the burger and tear it in small pieces, leaving them on the wax wrapper for Cora to devour.

"Just open a beer and let me eat." She sighs. "Oh, and Beck is coming Friday night for dinner. Before you protest, just know we have to keep her close. Okay? Just a little while longer. Until we can fix this" --she gestures at Cora-- "and then get rid of the guns."

The way she talks makes me think she doesn't want Beck around, but I don't understand why she keeps having lunch with her and texting her. I think Allie's confused about what she wants. All I want is for her to be happy and see that I'm the one supporting her and loving her--to my own hurt.

I reach for a beer next, cracking it open and putting it in Allie's hand. She slurps it as I unwrap a cheeseburger for her and hand it to her. I hate seeing her stressed out. I know part of this is on her. She is the one who pulled that trigger, after all, but part of it's on me too. I ache to help her feel better.

"Like I said, I won't say a word. Just make me big and give me the guns." Cora shoves a bite of burger in her mouth, but the bite-size pieces I tore the thing into are more like full size burgers to her. She has a difficult time chewing.

"That's what he said..." Allie drawls through a mouth full of food, and I chuckle.

"See, Al? Cora isn't going to tell."

Allie sits up and glares at Cora, and I frown. She's feeling too defensive, to overprotective. I stand and climb behind her on the couch, putting a leg on either side of her hips. Then I rub her shoulders. She's tense. I know a good fuck will help her relax, but I'm not sure if she'll just reject me again, so I don't ask right now. Cora watches me as I give Allie a rubdown while she finishes her beer and burger.

"That's amazing, Jess," she groans, and all I want to do is hug her from behind and hold her. But I pull away, letting her stand to take her empty bottle and burger wrapper to the trash. "Thanks. I needed that."

When she returns, she sits in the armchair across the room. I wish she'd come back and sit by me, but I have to give her space. We still haven't had that discussion about what's happening between us, and with Cora in the room is not really the time to have it. I unwrap a burger for myself, but I only nibble. I'm not hungry. I'm too stressed out about things and depressed to eat.

"So you guys have been friends a while?" Cora asks, and I feel like flicking her off the couch. I wish she wasn't here. I want to go and sit on Allie's lap and hold her, let her hold me.

"Yeah," I mumble with my mouth full of food.

"Hmmm." Cora looks thoughtful as she eats more burger. I can't help but wonder what she's thinking. She must miss her friends too. I turn back to Allie who's grabbed another beer and is sipping it.

"I'll be back." I'm not going to eat this damn burger, so I drop it in the bin on the way to the garage. I look in the passenger seat and see Cora's bag and phone. It's dead, the screen black, so I sort through the bag until I find her charger. When I walk into the kitchen I hear Allie and Cora talking softly. It sounds like Allie is telling Cora about me, stories of us growing up together. I plug the phone in, and it turns on. She's missed a few messages from her mother. I respond to one that she's happy at college. That should keep Mom happy for a while.

When I return to the living room, Cora is bundled under the blanket again. "I'm cold. I need something different to wear. This thing is tiny and it hurts." She pulls it out of her crotch again, and I snicker.

"I tried to tell you before you put it on."

"Fuck you," she scowls, but I see the playful way her lip curls into a smile.

"You up for a Walmart run, Al?" I glance at her and see her resting with her eyes shut, beer bottle balanced on her knee.

"Go without me? I want to nap."

My shoulders drop. "Yeah, okay." I look at Cora. "Can you be quiet? If I put you in a bag and carry you? I'll buy you whatever clothing we find that you like." I'm nervous about taking her, but it's the kind thing to do at least. Besides the idea of being a government pin cushion seems to scare her enough hopefully she'll behave.

"Yeah." Cora sighs and stands, holding her arms up to me like a child. "But can you give me a hand towel to use as a blanket. I'm pretty cold."

It's a bit of an ordeal getting her situated in the bag. Cora is picky and loud and bossy, but I try to remain patient and calm with her. I imagine it's not fun being that size. I can't see why Allie wants to shrink me. Doesn't she remember how scary it was for her? I don't see how it would be fun at all. It sounds terrifying.

Once inside Walmart, with the bag hanging on my shoulder, I go straight to the toy row. Cora peeks her head out every now and then, and I have to push her back in. When we are standing in front of the dolls, and I'm certain the coast is clear, I let her pop up to look.

"They don't have much, but you can see here, the eighteen-inch dolls are way too big around. It's like a child who's small, so the scale is wrong." I hold up an American Girl doll, and Cora turns her nose up.

"What about that?" She points, and I set the doll down to pick up a generic Barbie. It's a bit larger than a normal Barbie, but she does have on a cute pair of jeans and a t-shirt. It's all cotton, nothing made of real denim, but it might work.

"Think it will fit?" I ask Cora, holding it up.

"Give it to me," she says, reaching.

"I can't. It will look like I'm stuffing it in my purse to shoplift. What happens when they catch me and they go through my purse? Hmm?" I scowl at her stupid idea. I always thought Cora was a bitch, but I never knew she was dumb too.

"Okay, fine. Set me on the shelf then. I have to hold it up to myself so I can see if it will fit." Cora starts to climb out of the purse, and I squeal and shove her down in. A Walmart employee with a blue vest walks past and smiles at me. My heart races as I feel Cora squirming in the bag.

"What the fuck!"

"Cora, stay down," I hiss, looking into the bag, and as the employee rounds the corner and vanishes, she rises back up.

"Look, don't fucking do that to me." She smooths her hair. "You're ruining my hair."

I roll my eyes at her and stiffen. I want to get out of here before someone sees her being such an idiot. "You said you'd behave."

"I can't wear trash, Jess. Put me on the shelf."

This is insane. I can't put her on the shelf and let her hold it up to herself. If someone walks past what will I say? How do I explain that?

"Now, Jess."

Cora begins to climb out of the bag again, and I have no choice. I set the doll on the shelf and then lift Cora out carefully. When I set her down she almost falls over, but rights herself and smooths the jumpsuit down over her thighs. It's still giving her a very painful-looking wedgie, and she picks at it as she walks to the doll. It's only about an inch shorter than her. She may be smaller than Allie was when she was shrunken which would put her just about sixteen or so inches. Those clothes may actually work.

"Yes, I think it will fit." She turns and smiles proudly as she walks around the doll and leans over the next one that has a different outfit. "I think I'll take a few. I need more than one change of clothes."

"You're ridiculous. They're forty dollars each." I scoff and shake my head, and as I do, Mrs. Timmons rounds the corner with her little girl Bethany.

"Oh, Ms. Maier. We heard about your grandfather passing." Mrs. Timmons, daycare mom and super nosy too, pushes her cart right up to me and stops. I feel my heart drop. Cora is on the shelf, and I can't protect her. Which means I can't protect myself or Allie. I feel like I might piss myself.

"Yeah, I miss him." I bite my tongue and move closer to the shelf, hoping to put my body between the woman and the dolls Cora was just standing next to. Bethany's eyes light up, and she points and claps. She's four and curious. The tiny glasses she wears are held to her face with a thick rubber strap, making her look like one of those pro-basketball players who needs eyewear to play.

"I heard the Jenkins girl heard some interesting words the other day and now Bethany wants to use them." Mrs. Timmons eyes me, her needly gaze accusing me.

"Uh, yeah. That wasn't a good day for me." My cheeks are hot now. I didn't realize Kira Jenkins heard that melt down when I was driving.

"Mommy! That one!" Bethany squeals and giggles. "That Barbie."

Mrs. Timmons pats her head and ignores her, looking at me. "I hear a rumor there is a new shopping plaza going in where your grandfather lived. Is that true? Did you sell the land? Oh, I think it will be wonderful. They say it could be an outlet, and they'll bring in a Marshals and a Macy's. Won't that be great?"

The fuck? "A shopping plaza? No, Ma'am, I haven't sold my land. I own a parcel there and have a barn and a horse on it. I'm not selling."

"Oh, that's a shame. It would benefit the city so much, don't you think?"

I have an acute awareness of Cora on the shelf behind me, though I can't see her. She's listening to this, and maybe she knows about this too. Are Dean and Glenda trying to force me to sell so they can build a shopping center? I want to turn around and pick her up and shake the truth out of her, but I don't dare look down at where she's at.

"Mommy! That dolly moves. I want that one." Bethany points and leans toward the shelf, and I feel my heart ready to explode.

"No, dear, not today. I'll buy you candy." Mrs. Timmons pushes her cart forward, and I step out of the way. "It was nice to see you, Jess. We look forward to you being back in the class."

I have never been more relieved in my life to turn and see Cora hidden behind the dolls on that shelf. She clutches the box in front of her. Her eyes are wide with terror, and she's pale. "Did you see that?"

"What?"

"My God that little girl almost snatched me up." Cora reaches for me and eagerly clings to my hand as I put her back in the purse where she's safe.

"I told you it wasn't a good idea." I feel dizzy. My blood pressure is probably through the roof. I pick up a few dolls of the right size, not even caring if they have outfits Cora likes, and head toward the check out. It's difficult to put one foot in front of the other as I go. My vision is hazy. The shock of almost getting caught nearly makes me forget what Mrs. Timmons said, but when we've paid and we're driving back across town, I fold the purse open and Cora pops out.

"Did you know Dean was building a shopping center?"

I try to glance at her while I drive, but the sun is setting earlier now, so it's dark. Besides I have to keep my eyes on the road.

"I knew they were pressing me to steal the guns so you can't sell them and come up with the money."

"Sell them? And have the government at my door tomorrow?" I scoff and clench my jaw. Those bastards.

"Yeah, well Dean said something about a ten-million-dollar contract. That's when I realized they have more than enough. I wanted the guns for myself so I could bail myself out. I can't go home. I dropped out of college. Danny dumped me, and I have no place to live, except my car, which they're trying to sell."

The realization that Cora is completely alone sinks into me slowly. She wants the guns so she can survive, and all I want is to be rid of them. Maybe Allie's wrong, and we can trust her. I've always thought she was a bitch, but maybe she's just misunderstood. She has always thought I was awful too. Maybe she just never knew what I went through.

"So they're really that nasty?" I ask, already knowing the answer.

"I'm surprised you haven't figured that out." She shivers again and pulls the towel around her shoulders. I turn the heat up as I think about what she said. Yeah, I knew; I just didn't want to believe it. I never felt welcome; I just thought it was because of what happened to me.

The rest of the drive is silent, and when we get back to my house, Allie is sleeping on the sofa. I put Cora in her laundry-hamper prison and tear the packages open for her to have her clothes. When I carry her up to the room, she asks me to be out for the night, but I just can't. I leave her locked there and head back down to help Allie.

"Hey, sleepy head. Let me help you to bed." As I pull her hand up, I realize all six of the beer bottles are empty and in the bin. She hardly ate and drank the whole six pack. This time it's my turn to put her into bed.

I help her to her feet and drape her arm over my shoulder, then walk her up the steps to my room. She sits on the foot of the bed as I take her shoes off, then peel her shirt over her head. She'll want these to be a bit fresher than having been slept in when she wakes. I catch Cora watching me through the handle hole in the hamper as I lay Allie back and pull her pants off. Allie mumbles something about hair and nails, but she's too drunk for me to do that. Besides, I don't want Cora watching.

After I set her alarm and plug her phone in for her--charger in her satchel--I undress and lie down next to her. I'm tempted to kiss her lightly, but she'd be upset by that, so I just curl up around her and listen to her light snoring as I cup a breast and close my eyes.

"I want to be with you," I whisper, "because I love you more than anything. But I'm afraid you don't want me back, and if I say I love you, you'll run away."

Allie's nose scrunches. I'm certain she is too drunk to hear or comprehend. She licks her lips and moves her hand to mine, squeezing her own tit and my hand. "Eat me, Jess," she mumbles, and I touch her lip lightly with a finger.

"Not tonight, babe."

Allie turns to her side, and I spoon her for a long time before I fall asleep. We have to figure out how to make everything better. I can't fight a multi-million-dollar shopping development on my own. And I can't deal with the fallout of Cora telling anyone about this. I feel tears well up, so I turn away and realize Cora is still staring at me.

I'm not even ashamed to let them fall. If she's so heartless to judge me for crying, let her stay little forever. I don't even care.

Chapter 27

Beck

I pull up to the house and park a little before seven p.m. I've brought with me a favorite bottle of Schnapps and a large broccoli salad. Given the grease-heavy lasagna my Allie Bug made for our last dinner, I figured she could use a healthy touch. I check my makeup in the rearview mirror before grabbing the salad dish, Schnapps, and my purse. In order to fit in better I picked a pair of tasteful jean shorts and a baggy hoodie. It's not mine--I kept it after my days of fucking Kirk and never grew out of it--but it will make me look a little more like I fit in.

Heading toward Jess's front door, I think of my two goals. I need to get on Jess's good side for now so I can get my evidence, and I need to woo Allie to the point that she's so smitten with me she realizes Jess is trash and chooses me. It shouldn't be too hard to accomplish either of my goals, I just have to stay on my game.

Loud music and laughter greets my ears as I step on the porch and ring the bell. The last time I was here I didn't even realize Jess has a dog, but I hear one yapping too. When the door swings open, a tiny dog jumps on my knees. He looks like a German shepherd but he's so small, like the size of a chihuahua. He's so adorable; I've never seen a breed like that before.

"Hey, Beck, come on in. Don't mind Shep. He's a crotch sniffer," she jokes, and I can't imagine how he could be. He's so small.

I step into the room and set my purse on a small table near the bottom of the stairs. It smells like fried food or oil in here. Just the scent makes my skin feel greasy and my ass twenty pounds heavier. "I brought a salad," I tell Allie, turning to smile at her. She picks up the dog, and it squirms, trying to lick her face.

"Oh good, that'll go perfect with the homemade Chinese Jess is making. She's excited for you to try it."

"Mmm, MSG." I smile at Allie who looks confused as she leads me through the living room into the kitchen. Jess is standing at the stove with an apron tied around her waist. Her dark stringy hair hangs around her shoulders. So disgusting, Jess. You have no health and safety training, do you?

"I'll just put him away..." Allie's eyes flick to Jess who shrugs and turns around.

"Thanks for coming, Beck. Uh, you can put your salad there." She points at the bar and waves a spoon around as she spins back to her dish. "I'm making General Tsos. I hope you like it."

"It smells just like a Chinese restaurant in here." I set my salad bowl down and pull out a bar stool to sit. Allie returns and bustles around the kitchen as I set the bottle of liquor next to the salad. It's such a small kitchen I wonder how she gets anything done in here. I mean, there isn't anything big about the house in general. I look around, hoping to spot the tub of guns, but they're not in sight. I might have to make an excuse to snoop upstairs later. We'll see.

"Jess, Beck was telling me at work how badly she feels about her reaction last weekend." Allie reaches into the fridge and grabs something out. As she turns, I see it's a beer.

"Oh, honey, that will spike your sugar. Get some of this." I push the Schnapps bottle at her, and she frowns but puts the beer back. Good girl, Allie, you're already learning to behave nicely.

Allie gets a few glasses and sets them out, pouring a finger in each. And I watch as Jess turns around. Her facial expression is hard to read. I don't know her well enough to know if she's upset with me or if she's apprehensive. She stares as Allie serves the drinks and takes hers and downs it instantly. When she hands the glass back to Allie, I decide to start goal number one.

"Yeah, Jess. I was really freaked out by the whole shrinking thing. I'm sorry. Please forgive my rude behavior. I hope we can put that behind us be friends." I sip my drink and watch Allie down hers too. Both of them seem nervous for some reason. The only thing Allie has to be nervous about is if Jess blows up when I turn her in.