The Thorns Upon the Roses Ch. 03

Story Info
Jess meets some new faces around campus...
2.6k words
4.64
10.1k
14

Part 3 of the 11 part series

Updated 10/10/2023
Created 08/30/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
SarahSal
SarahSal
158 Followers

Chapter 3

My mind had returned to move-in day at college for freshman year, and I could still hear the words of my parents as they drove away. It was one of the last fond memories I had with them before we began to separate. "Its easy to meet people! Just leave your door open, and play your favorite music so they can hear it in the hall. Everybody can just come on in!"

But that was years ago.

Lana Del Rey sang out long and dreary notes that existed as an antithesis to the notion of welcoming. My room sat with the door propped open, and my cd player belched out music into a lonely room. Maybe the other members of the study were around the campus eagerly awaiting the arrival of the new guy- girl, but I didn't care enough to go find them. I sat at my desk and read through the pamphlet the Doctor had given me. My stomach was doing summersaults as I read further into the pamphlet, and I began to grow increasingly worried about what kind of "study" I was apart of. Knowing these were optional for my time here was slightly reassuring, but I couldn't believe what I was reading:

Category 1 - Everyday Commitments

  • Daily use of basic make-up (mascara, foundation...) for up to 30 days: $3000. Subject to repeat upon completed cycle. Awarded money lost upon ONE day without make-up.
  • Growing out hair to at least shoulder length. Each inch past shoulders for a maximum of 12 inches will award $250 upon completion of study. Longest length meets qualifications. Haircuts afterward will not deduct awarded income.
  • Proper workout and fitness awareness. Monthly fitness exams will be performed. Measurements, time-trials, and endurance tests will be performed. Money will be awarded in varying amounts based on the tests.
  • Proper manicure and pedicure maintenance. Any biting or tearing voids the payment for one month's time. Should nails be in adequate condition upon random inspections, the subject will be entitled to an additional income based on ranking of condition.
  • Attire should be accommodating of anticipated events. On scheduled events, proper attire will award additional income based on the levels of commitment and reasonability for said event.

Category 2 - Relationship Commitments

  • In the event that other subjects are present and available, additional income will be awarded for those that pursue and enact in believable relationships, wherein they perform the societal roles that normally do not apply to them.
  • In the event that other subjects are present and available, additional income will be awarded for those that seek friendships or comradery.

The first two categories didn't bother me especially, and the idea of being with a woman, as a woman didn't seem too bad at all... But as I continued to read, I could feel my stomach drop.

Category 3 - Sexual Commitments

  • Should the subject find themselves interested in exploring their new personas with respect to sex, sexual acts, or sexual interests, additional income can be earned in a variety of settings, but each subject to an award based on a number of factors (frequency, quantity, size...)
  • Should a partner be found, a dominant and submissive role should be established if possible. Carrying out this dynamic will result in additional income

Category 4 - Lifelong Commitments

  • Once the trial is completed, a number of actions can be performed to ensure an additional income once the subject is returned to society:

    • Permanent Chastity
    • Permanent Sexual Transition
  • While many other options exist, please consider updating us if you believe you have found something that warrants an extended form of payment.

Category 5 - Income Subtractions

  • Various forms of income loss are present and occurring at all times:

    • Referring to the Doctor as anything other than "Doctor" or "Ma'am:" $100 Fine.
    • Attempts to flee, injure another person, or sabotage the study. Immediate termination of any income, and termination of subject.
    • Refusing to participate in assigned study practices: $1000 Fine.
    • Refusing to wear assigned uniforms, expected attire for unique situations, or attempts to deny a visual presentation: $500 Fine.
    • Attempts at removing any type of chastity device, whether it be male or female: Immediate destruction of singular copy of key, and an enforcement modification to ensure no tampering will occur.

"Knock knock?"

I turned to see Kripke standing at the door, and at her side, a woman that looked my age. The woman stood with a small tubber ware container.

Kripke said, "You didn't make it to lunch, so I figured you might be hungry!"

Clearly for my first day, Kripke had been in uniform. Today, she was dressed far more casually, but she still had a toolbelt around her waist. Her blonde hair was down, and it fell over a t-shirt and jean cut-offs. She wore Birkenstocks as well. Kripke seemed far less intimidating today, but the shirt sleeves fell just atop her biceps, and there was no hiding the strength in her. To her side, this new girl stood with long black hair that was clearly straightened to subdue her curls. She wore a uniform like I did currently. The same navy-blue skirt and polo shirt, and the same thigh-high socks with the blue stipe. As I looked closer, I realized I had already seen Abby. Yesterday, when I was marched through the mansion, she was the girl I had seen studying at the library.

"This is Abby."

I stood and went to greet them, and then I offered one of them my desk chair to sit. "Hey! I'm Josh-Jess. I'm Jessica. Nice to meet you, Abby!"

Abby extended a hand and shook mine as Kripke walked past and took the desk chair. She made herself right at home in my room. In a lonely way, I was really happy to see a familiar face, no matter how close they were to killing me the day before.

"Lunch was really good today, Jess. Jacques made us some grilled chicken for the main dish." Abby's voice was chipper, and she seemed to be genuinely excited to meet me.

Kripke pushed the container into my hands as she said, "Yeah, make sure you go to dinner tonight. I'm not sure what it'll be, but Jacques wouldn't shut up about it."

Abby laughed and said, "No joke! He kept having me lick the spoon to try the sauce for tonight. He'd add a little bit of some seasoning, and then come back for my opinion as if I were a chef!" Abby's laugh was soft and small, and she crinkled her nose as she laughed. "Hey, I like your music by the way. Well, I guess its not your music, but you know."

"Thanks! I was hoping someone else liked slow and weird lyrics."

Kripke said, "I can see the Doctor didn't wipe that sarcasm from your smile. How'd your first day of lecture go?"

"It was fine. For a first day of being locked away in a study place, I thought it'd be more..."

"Terrifying?" Abby sat on my bed as she said, "On my first day here, I nearly puked when I had my first one-on-one with her. And then we spent 4 hours talking about how plants take in energy from the sun, and I was so blindsided that I couldn't even process what she was saying." Despite having just met, Abby felt at home-enough to lay on my bed with her head on my pillow. She shuffled through CD's and flipped the cases over occasionally.

"So did you get to read any of the book?" Kripke asked with some eagerness in her blue eyes.

"No, um, sorry!" I felt bad that I hadn't started it yet, as I could tell Kripke was excited about her own book club. "I got lost reading through the pamphlet that the Doctor gave me."

"Oh," Kripke said. Her tone had dropped, but not about her book. As I brought up the pamphlet, I could see a wall form between herself and me.

I stood awkwardly against my dresser as if I liked to pose this way, and Abby quickly noticed. "I'll go grab a chair from my room. Make sure you ask for one in the catalog so you can have us over more often and not just need my chairs."

As Abby stood and made her way out the door, she paused and almost commanded us, "Jess bring the food. Just join me! I don't want to bring the chair back later." With a turn, Abby moved down the hall, leaving Kripke and I alone for a moment.

"Hey Kripke," I started, but I got cut off.

"When Coop, or the Doc aren't around, its Avery, or Ave. If they are around, make sure to call me Kripke." Suddenly, the soft blue eyes seemed alive and gentle. Kripke was gone, and Avery stood before me.

"Oh, um, okay. Avery, can I ask you something?" I reached past her for the pamphlet, and I began to speak, but Avery cut me off again.

"I can't really discuss that with you. I can talk about other things. Things that aren't related to the study directly. The other girls, like Abby could answer any questions about it. Perks of the job I suppose."

Avery patted my arm with her strong hand as she said, "Come on! She's waiting on us."

As I was the last in my room, I realized something that genuinely comforted me in the most unsettling realization. I had just had a conversation with two women, but as a man, they never once treated me as if I wasn't a woman, and I had almost forgotten that I was anything at all. It was strange how normal I was being treated, but it didn't make me feel like a woman, or even feminine for that matter. Instead, I just didn't feel like a man. Along with having a walking slab of muscle alongside me, Avery seemed more masculine than I did, but she also had no cadence of being manlier than I seemed. My head began to swirl, but I shook it away. I had just made another friend.

---

Abby's room showed me a future that I wasn't prepared to accept as my own. Her room was a strikingly similar version of my own, except that hers had been used for some time. The smell wasn't empty, but hints of long sleepless nights gave the room a scent that seemed familiar. Her room was also tidy, yet calculatedly messy. Everything was where it should be, but things seemed thrown around. Her bookshelf had a stack of books unable to nest on the shelf, so they overflowed atop, but they were perfectly stacked and uniform as could be. Clothes were put away, yet a green hoodie, a pink jacket, and a ballcap hung on the bed posts ready for a moment of necessity. The only difference was a large armchair that seemed awkwardly dropped into the room.

"So, the Doc gave you the rest of the day off?" Abby asked as she sat in her bed, drowning in a dozen small pillows. Kripke had taken the armchair, so I sat at the desk.

"I guess so. Is that normal around here?"

"Yep. Whatever plans are in the morning are usually the only point of interest for the day. Sometimes there's things going on later."

Kripke fake coughed over, "Like my book club!"

"Like her book club. Realistically, our days are whatever lecture is planned in the morning, sometimes something in the evening, but every Saturday is a special event. The Doctor usually plans out something unique, but there have been repeats. Sundays are our days off completely."

"Special events?" I asked with a piqued interest.

"You'll see. Its usually some group event with a focus for that week."

I could guess that Abby was being particularly vague, and Avery's choice to wander off in thought again confirmed there was more to these events.

"So where was everyone this morning?"

"Oh! We all went on a hike. When a newbie shows up, we get the day off for your orientation. Tomorrow we'll all be in class together."

Outside?! "A hike? You guys, we, can go outside?"

"100%. How about this? Before Avery's book club, I'll take you out to the lake. I can fill you in on the book, catch you up to speed. I bet it would be nice to get some fresh air." Abby's smile warmed me up, and I could tell she was some sort of leader in this group.

"It's a good book," Avery said, sunken into the plush armchair. "Its about an alien first contact, and its got all of these conspiracy things and- No. I won't spoil it. We're only like 30 pages in right now. Trust me, you'll love it."

Abby laughed at Avery's excitement. "You're a dork, dude." She grabbed a pillow and tossed it at Kripke.

The next half hour was a flurry of conversations that felt empty but loaded. We talked about movies, my music compared to Abby's favorites. Avery told a story about her time in Jersey working as a mariner along the coast. I wanted to ask questions about these people, but they felt like masks, just like I was too. In between bites of my late lunch, I began to talk about my old job, but the conversation became quiet, and I could tell there were certain things that weren't mentioned, and one of which seemed to be our lives before this. It was a strange line too, because Kripke spoke about her life outside of the study, and it seemed real. I noticed Abby and I shared a hurdle that involved being kidnapped...

Avery stood as she checked her watch, "I've got a meeting with Coop, so I'll catch you ladies later. Book club," she said to me with a pointed finger, to which I laughed and agreed to go.

"Perfect timing! Jess, lets go on a walk!"

Avery left, and the door hissed shut behind her. Abby said, "You're probably going to want to change clothes for the walk, girlie."

Something inside me began to scream out, and I had the urge to address the elephant in the jail cell. I laughed awkwardly as I said, "Thanks for being so cool. I mean, I'm obviously not like... you, and this whole situation is so weird, but..."

"Not like you?" Abby's face seemed genuine. She walked toward me as she said, "I'm confused."

I couldn't tell if this was a bluff.

"I mean, I'm obviously not a real-"

Abby took a step closer to me and put her finger on my lips to silence me. Her eyes were large and doe-like, but they trembled slightly. Slowly, she removed her finger, and her tone made me realize someone had to be listening nearby. "I'll show you my outfit, and you go grab something similar." From her drawers, she grabbed some gym shorts and a sports bra. From her closet, she removed a tank top. "I'll grab some waters and snacks. Find something cute and meet me back here soon."

As I walked out, I turned in the doorway to look back at Abby, and she winked at me with a smile and a wave.

This place had already felt strange, but now the layers were beginning to unravel. If I was being forced to become a woman for this study, what was Abby doing here? She seemed sincere about helping me, but I also wasn't sure how sincere Kripke was. Maybe this hike would help me, or maybe I would be even more confused. Either way, I trudged back to my room. I used the bathroom, brushed my teeth to get that chicken out for the walk, and changed into something like Abby had grabbed. As I tied my tennis shoes, I looked at myself in the mirror. Something believable seemed to be looking back.

SarahSal
SarahSal
158 Followers