The True Meaning of Wedding Vows

Story Info
Mary's wife meets the new man in her life.
9.4k words
4.41
5.4k
15
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The following is a follow up to my story "The True Meaning of Wedding Rings". While totally approachable on its own, I'd love if you checked that one out as well.

Katherine had gone to plenty of business-related parties with her wife. Mary being a highly successful businesswoman, she'd been to more than her share of fancy abodes. Penthouse apartments, high class ballrooms, and more than a few mansions; all the typical places people with more money than sense gathered to show off their wealth with a gorgeous date on their arm.

None of that prepared her for the sheer size of Nico Remiel's mansion.

Hell, "mansion" barely covered it. The place was more like a palace, sporting an enormous entrance hall framed around a wide, towering staircase. Various doorways and hallways lead to what had to be countless other wings of the estate, and every inch was lavishly decorated, polished to perfection. It was a place that absolutely reeked of wealth; the abode of a man with more money than he could ever spend in a hundred lifetimes.

It was altogether intimidating, if Kat was being honest, and made her all the more skeptical of Mary's proposed "Big Date Night". Mary had been so busy with a huge contract at work that Kat had barely seen her for weeks, and she'd insisted on making it up to her with a night out. Kat would have been happy with a low key dinner at a nice restaurant before returning to their house for a long, sleepless night in bed. Instead, she found herself in her nicest purple evening gown, decked out with jewelry and makeup, arm-in-arm with her equally glammed up and gorgeous wife, yet still feeling dwarfed and under-dressed in this enormous palace.

That was to say nothing of the other guests. An unavoidable part of working with the wealthy was dealing with conservative old cranks, and Kat could feel countless disapproving eyes from any number of grey-haired men with ill-fitting tuxedos as they entered. It wasn't new, and usually she could ignore the judgmental stares of jealous farts who doubtlessly had to pay for the 20-something bombshells standing next to them. Yet here, so out of her element, she squirmed.

"Are you sure it's not too late to make some reservations at Rochelle's?" Kat asked, only half-joking. She nervously squeezed Mary's arm as they walked into the crowded entry hall.

"Trust me, sweetie, you'll have a wonderful time tonight," Mary reassured her, pointedly leaning in to kiss Kat on the cheek, as if daring anyone in the crowd to object to the presence of a loving lesbian couple. "The company may be mixed, but I promise you'll find some people worth talking to."

"Like this mysterious Nico who's been taking up all your time this past week?" Kat smirked, comforted by her partner's confidence.

"Oh you'll certainly love Nico," Mary's eyes lit up at the mention of the multi-millionaire, and Kat felt just the tiniest tug of jealousy in her gut. She knew it was ridiculous -- she trusted Mary more than anything else in the world, and she certainly had no reason to worry about a man -- but the happy smile the guy's name inspired on her wife's face nagged at her all the same.

"I should hope so, the way you've gone on about him. You'd think he was your best friend," Kat huffed.

"You're my best friend, and so much more," Mary whispered lovingly, before pecking Kat on the lips. "I don't want you, or anyone else, to forget that. It's why I wanted you here with me tonight."

"To show me off?"

"In a sense," Mary giggled. "Getting to brag about my beautiful wife is certainly a plus!"

"Then you both have quite a lot to brag about," said a voice behind them.

Kat turned to find a tall man with dark hair and a carefully groomed beard, standing very close behind them. Both his height and youth made him stand out among the crowd of older men. The smug grin on his face fit in perfectly, but Kat could appreciate that he seemed to carry it with considerably more ease than the other big wigs.

"Nico! I didn't think you'd find us so soon," Mary exclaimed, stepping forward to give the man a quick hug and a polite peck on the cheek.

"Alicia told me you'd arrived," the man replied with a smile. In a move that made Kat's eyebrow twitch just a bit, he gently brought Mary's hand up to place a kiss of his own upon it. How very...European. His eyes turned to Kat "And I didn't want to delay meeting your lovely wife."

"It's nice to finally meet the man who's been monopolizing my Mary all these weeks," Kat replied, trying her hardest to sound jovial. She reached out to shake his hand, if only to make him drop Mary's. Alright. Maybe she was a little jealous.

"And you're the woman Mary has told me everything about. A pleasure to know she wasn't exaggerating in the least," Nico smirked, taking her hand only to swiftly raise it to his lips.

Kat wanted to bristle at the sudden familiarity. Or to cringe at the feel of his perfectly groomed facial hair brushing against her skin. Yet as she watched this filthy rich man place his lips upon her, all she could focus on was the shining ring worn on the hand gripping hers.

It was a small, simple bit of jewelry, all told. A silver band with a gleaming blue stone set inside -- a far cry from the bulky, gold and gem-encrusted pieces most of the old farts that Mary worked with loved to wear. Yet on Nico's hand, it felt effortlessly opulent; its spotless shine glimmering under the mansion's lights, contrasting with his dusky skin, and demanding attention from anyone who laid eyes upon it.

The thing certainly demanded Kat's attention, so much that she forgot about objecting to Nico's presumptuousness. When he brought his lips to the back of her hand, she noted it distantly. All of her attention was drawn to that gleaming stone, watching as the light reflected and refracted across its polished facets.

"I'm so glad you invited us, Nico. I've been dying to let you meet Kat in the flesh!"

It wasn't until Mary spoke that Kat realized she was staring. Had been staring, in silence for quite some time. And all the while Nico had been holding her hand gently in his. With an embarrassed blush, she politely withdrew from his grasp, trying to shake her mind back into gear.

"Believe me, it wouldn't be a party without my favorite business partner. You liven up every room you're in, Mary."

"Ooh, careful with the flattery. I'll know you're lying tonight, seeing as I'll only ever be the second most beautiful woman in the room." Mary winked at her wife, and Kat welcomed the return to normalcy. Mary always called her "my rock", but in this opulent house, in front of this opulent man, the familiar teasing was exactly what Kat needed to stay grounded.

"You know I only flatter when we're at work," Nico answered. "Now, let me give you two lovely ladies a tour and introduce you."

"That's very kind, bu-" Kat began, only to be interrupted by Nico offering his arm, and -- much to her wife's confusion -- Mary taking it without hesitation.

"Let's go, love." Mary had fire in her eyes as she said it, wrapping herself around the man's arm like it was second nature. "I want to see every inch of this place before the night's through."

"I...think we might need hiking boots to survive that," Kat said with a forced laugh.

"I'll be sure to pace things out, and offer plenty of refreshments along the way," Nico joked, before offering his other arm to her. Feeling awkward, and unsure of what else to do, she reluctantly took his offer, gripping his bicep as lightly as possible, and keeping her free hand behind her back.

"If you insist..." Kat mumbled, but the trio were already moving, guided by the smirking man in the center.

* * *

Kat couldn't be bothered to pay attention as Nico moved them through the seemingly endless crowd of rich business partners and acquaintances, nor did she pay any mind to his incessant explanations of the various halls of his mansion. The only thing she could focus on was Mary clinging to his arm like a trophy wife.

It was ridiculous, of course. Kat fully trusted Mary. They were married, and happily in love. They had their arguments, same as any couple, but there had never been so much as a second that Kat ever thought Mary might be unfaithful. Especially so with a man. Kat knew everything about Mary's past love life, including the disastrous few times she tried dating guys. There was no way there was anything going on between her wife and Nico.

Yet the sight before her eyes drove Kat crazy anyway. The way Mary giggled at his sardonic quips, or gently patted his arm, or was simply amazed at every fancy art piece or overly expensive bit of décor Nico decided to show them. She looked like, well, a woman in blind, puppy love, as impossible as that was. It itched under Kat's skin, and took every ounce of her composure to not scowl at her wife from her position trapped at Nico's other side.

When the trio eventually made it to a low-lit ballroom, with couples dotting the dance floor, Kat took it as her chance to escape.

"Oh, I've been dying to go dancing!" She said, swiftly separated from Nico's side to reach for Mary's hand. "Love, let's get out there, please? Just for a song or two?"

"Sure! You don't mind, do you Nico?"

"I'll be a bit lonely, but far be it for me to get between a woman and her wife," he quipped, eliciting another giggle from Mary. Kat barely turned away in time to hide her rolling eyes.

Soon enough, though, all that tension faded as she took Mary in her arms, and began to lead her in a slow, swaying dance. The song playing was one she vaguely recognized, but it was slow and crooning and just the right kind of schmaltzy for an intimate, romantic dance. She wrapped her arms around Mary's waist, pulled her in close, and gazed into the eyes of the love of her life.

"I'm glad I at least get to do something alone with you tonight," Kat whispered.

"I take it you think three's a crowd?" Mary responded playfully.

"More like I wanted you hanging on my arm all night. Gripping my shoulder. Laughing at my jokes."

"Hmm, do I detect a bit of jealousy?"

"He wishes," Kat scoffed, and then grinned at Mary's laughter.

"Trust me, honey, there's nothing going on between Nico and I that you need to worry about." Mary raised her hand, tucking back a stray lock of Kat's hair, then gently rubbing the other woman's earlobes. The touch made Kat shudder. Mary always knew her weak spots. "And I promise, later tonight you'll have me allllll to yourself."

"I'd rather sooner than later..."

"I know, baby, but please be patient. I brought you here because I really do want you to get along with Nico. Over these last few months he's become a very important partner at work, and a friend too. It would mean a lot to me if you could get along -- I promise he'll charm you, if you let him."

Kat sighed, hearing the earnest plea in her wife's voice, and knowing she couldn't possibly deny the request. The things she did for love.

"Fine, I'll play nice," she relented, leaning in to press her forehead against Mary's and nuzzling her nose. "But you better make it worth my while, young lady."

"Believe me, tonight will be one you'll never forget."

The couple swayed together for a time, gazing into eachother's eyes in content, silence, until the song finally came to an end. With a practiced, familiar ease, the two women kissed, oblivious to everyone else in the world. It was something they did after every dance of theirs, something Kat had started back when they were first dating, and had continued for all these years. It calmed her nerves, and assured her that she really, truly had nothing to worry about.

* * *

"Had your fill of dancing already?" Nico asked jovially as the two of them left the floor. He was sitting at a small table, sporting three flutes of champagne, with a seat on either side of him. Kat was still buzzing from the kiss and, remembering her promise, politely took her seat next to Nico.

"Hardly. I could stay out there all night. But Mary said it would be rude to abandon our host."

"No need to worry on my account. I could always call Alicia to keep me company. Feel free to dance the night away."

"Please don't tell her that. My feet would fall off before Kat would even get close to tired."

"That's because you spend all day chained to your desk. If you'd just do a little bit more exercising..."

Mary heaved an exaggerated sigh, leaning her head onto Nico's shoulder.

"See what I put up with?" she asked, earning a conspiratorial smirk from the man. "Just 'a little bit' she says. Like I don't know she pulls 10 miles minimum on the treadmill every day. Honey, you've been able to dance circles around me since we met."

"Then I suppose we'll just have to ask your dear, filthy rich friend to buy you a fresh pair of legs to keep up."

The trio all laughed, and Kat felt the ice defrosting, despite herself. As their banter continued -- and the champagne flowed freely from their glasses, it became easier and easier to just go with the flow; joking and teasing Mary while Nico occasionally interjected. It almost felt like hanging out with an old friend, shooting the shit on a movie night back before they'd moved to the city. Though back then they'd been drinking cheap beer in comfy sweats, not sipping sparkling wine in their finest dresses.

Even the familiarity between Mary and Nico didn't seem to bother her. Whenever her wife would casually touch Nico's hand, or give his shoulder a friendly stroke, or laugh a little too long at a joke that wasn't that funny, instead of jealousy, Kat was just glad that Mary was having a good time. They'd barely seen eachother for months, and it was so refreshing to see Mary smiling, laughing, free from the stress of work for a short while. Who cared if it wasn't exclusively because of Kat's company?

It was so comfortable, that for a just a little while, Kat felt her mind drift, going quiet while Mary and Nico chatted, taking her new companion in for a while. He really was quite handsome. Mary had said he had a revolving door of lovers, and while the money doubtlessly helped, Kat could imagine him having company in any bed, whether it was in a one-room apartment or a palatial estate. His clothes were obviously of high quality, but simple and direct in their styling, free from the gaudy decorations so many insecure millionaires used to flaunt their wealth, not even a watch.

The only piece of jewelry he wore was that sparkling ring, but it drew attention in all the right ways. It complemented his complexion, while adding just the right flair to his gestures. As she sat, observing more than listening, Kat couldn't help but follow it. There was just something fascinating about the stone, and how the light played off its polished facets. It was so easy and relaxing to take it in, as if her eyes were drawn to it by an invisible force. She didn't even have to try. So as the conversation continued without her, Kat was content to sip her champaigne, laugh softly whenever Mary did, and stare.

How long she sat there in her stupor, she couldn't say. It ended when a gorgeous redhead in a tight, strapless black dress sauntered up to the table. She casually placed a hand on Nico's shoulder to get his attention.

"Sorry to interrupt, sir."

"Ah, Alicia, there you are! I trust you've been having a good time?"

"As good as I can while I'm the clock, sir," she answered with a short smile.

"Alicia is my personal assistant," Nico explained to his companions. "She was kind enough to work as my party manager tonight, so that I could enjoy the night without too many er, business interruptions, if you will."

"That's actually why I'm here now." Alicia leaned in, lowering her voice to mutter in her boss' ear. "Mr. Conroy is insisting to speak with one of you about the Dawkins account. He told me to bring 'somebody who knows what they're talking about' post haste."

In unison, Mary and Nico sighed so loudly Kat could hear their exasperation over the hum of the party.

"That old blowhard can't keep a damn thing straight, can he? That account's been done for nearly a week! Can't he take a night off from wasting our time?" Mary groaned.

"Of course he can't," Nico muttered, rubbing his temple. "The old bastard called me at 3am the other night to ask why I hadn't answered the e-mail he sent at 2. I suppose I'll have to brush him off again. Be right back."

"No, you stay," Mary insisted when Nico moved to stand. "You handled him last time. It's only fair I babysit his tantrum."

"But Mary..." Kat objected, as her wife stood up.

"You really don't need to," Nico responded. "Stay with Kat and have a good time. I'll re-join you two as soon as he's gone."

"Nonsense. This is your party, after all. I'll send Conroy on his way, and in the mean time..." Mary turned to Kat with one of her I've Just Had a Brilliant Idea smiles. "You can keep Kat company. I'm sure you two will hit it off wonderfully."

Kat's first instinct was to object, but she caught herself. Mary was staring at her with those gorgeous baby blues, begging "Please? For me?" more powerfully than words could ever manage. Stifling a sigh, Kat awkwardly looked to Nico.

"Well, I suppose if Nico feels up to a few songs..."

"You don't have to twist my arm to dance with a beautiful woman, trust me."

"Then it's settled!" Mary ducked down to kiss her wife goodbye, and with a whispered "thank you", she was off.

* * *

Kat wasn't sure what she felt as Nico guided her onto the dance floor. On the one hand, it was surreal and unfamiliar to be following the lead of a man. The last time she'd done anything like this was in her early college days, when she'd been desperately in denial about her love for women. To be doing it now, at her wife's behest, was truly alien.

On the other hand, she was happy to be dancing. She'd always loved getting lost in music, drifting along, almost like her body knew what to do all on its own. Even with an unfamiliar partner taking her hand in his large, masculine one, the sensation of it all was welcome. He was clear with his direction, but not insistent or demanding. With one hand gripping hers, and the other lightly holding her hip, the gentle pressure of his lead made following feel natural, effortless.

"I see why you like dancing so much," he whispered into her ear, his deep voice resonating over the music. "You take to the dance floor like a duck to water."

"You flatter me," she answered, turning ever so slightly away from the heat of his breath on her ear. "I know I'm nothing special. I just...like to lose myself in the music."

"That's exactly what makes you special, if you ask me. Being able to give yourself over to the rhythm, the atmosphere, is a beautiful thing."

"I...never thought of it that way."

"Trust me. I host quite a lot of these events, and so much of it involves people showing off -- their wealth, their power, their beauty. It's all so self-conscious. Having someone here who isn't thinking about how she looks to everyone is a breath of fresh air."

Kat blushed.

"Careful. If I were a more insecure woman, I'd think you were saying I don't look good."

"Couldn't be further from the truth. It just means you have a beauty that doesn't need to flaunt itself. Self-possessed, if you will."

"Hmph, nice save," Kat giggled. "But you should know that every woman wants to know she looks her best at parties like this, no matter how much it seems like she doesn't care."

"Oh I know. That's what I'm here for. As your partner, it's my duty to display your grace to the world, and make me the envy of every man watching. Like so-"

Without warning, he lifted her hand above her head, and before she knew what was happening, Kat was twirling on her feet. The room spun before her eyes, blurring into a wave of lights and colors. Her fingers danced across his palm and followed the lead of his turning wrist, as she let him guide her around once, twice, and a third time.