All Comments on 'The Truth About Life after Death'

by oneiria

Sort by:
  • 12 Comments
AzPilotAzPilotalmost 14 years ago
I'm totally green with envy- it's a great piece!

It's my type of humor and similar to my style of writing, I loved it. As a minor point of curiosity- how long did it take to get your tongue out of your cheek after you finished? Good- with 2 verys and a "Thank you" for the entertainment.

nigilnigilalmost 14 years ago
that was heavy stuff

and I couldn't finish it without a glass of whiskey. ahem.

Now I'm sorry to have wasted my person's time on some intriguing ideas my person's intellectual capacity isn't nearly enough to follow up on.

I apologize for any illogic here as I had only time to think on that subject for some minutes now.

Of course I have no clue about quantum physics or the fine research in your essay, so I'm probably off my rocker trying to argue these concepts.

But i'm denying the idea that counciousnesses deliberately only 'switch' in my sleep and would be reason for any periods of confusion upon waking.

After all couldn't that create a race condition where some body/entity has no consciousness? And it would contradict your theory of multiple counciousnesses.

Because if there are many counciousnesses they wouldn't all switch the same time. And wouldn't there have to be a 'place' between entities and a dimension to 'migrate' between them for those consciousness'?

Also they have to work together like the atoms of my body, there can't be one dominant?

But you say they would each have the delusion of being the one in charge (and not aware of each other?)

Trying computers as an (certainly faulty) analogy what would happen to a machine if many "admins" think themself the only one in charge? System corruption, I say, if not for a monitoring "super admin".

Also what would be the reason for many consciousnesses, if they all act the same in an entity? I do not think or act out-of-my-mind different from day to day; given identical circumstances I would react the same, is that not what defines "a" consciousness?

So is then the body, brain or entity chaining down the traveling consciousness into a preset pattern?

Ok, I have to stop right here, this is really not making enough sense to my small brain.

Anyway, I have not found an explanation herein for those children remembering different personas lives, if consciousness' are as 'memory state-less' as you suggest.

I do salute your work! I'm certainly not opposed to new input or "thinking out of the box".

I don't like the title though, only found speculations here. Then again truth is in the eye of the beholder or so they say.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Science, philosophy and good advice

all in one article. Much of the modern quantum work is so counter intuative that I as a layman find that I can follow it only in the middle. By that I mean after the inflation in Big Bang and at above atomic level. I hope for great results from CERN, just a pity I wont understand them. It just doesnt feel right that a photon is both here and there at the same time. That is why I thought the Frost reference at the end was perfect advice. Thank you. -- UK CYNIC

WilliamTellsOvertureWilliamTellsOverturealmost 14 years ago
Quite a dry piece of writing but not that satyrical.

I admire your attempt at this subject - not an easy one to present in any form under any circumstances and I'm familiar with a few of the authors you've listed as references. However, and this is just a question... have you ever read Paul Twitchell's Letters To Gail? The letters within the covers have such titles as "How Does One Die Daily and Yet Live?". Other letters are entitled "The Limitations of Knowledge", "How Does Idealism Affect the Drive of the Spirit?" and "How Does Priori Knowledge Exist as Spiritual Knowledge", etc. These writings and much more have been published through Eckankar: The Ancient Science of Soul Travel. The best and most recommended Eckankar books are by Harold Klemp and one entitled '35 Golden Keys to Who You Are & Why You're Here by Linda C. Anderson. As one who truly has out-body-experiences, I can strongly relate with some of your attempted viewpoint and empathize with the authors you reference as well. I mention this last viewpoint in such a manner becuase while satyr has a healthy function and place in our lives, this subject in its' application should never be viewed facetiously as there are some dangers to avoid. Another person I'd like to recommend is from thefringedweller.com which I obtained the other night listening to George Noory interview her on coasttocoastam.com. I hope I didn't sound too serious but this is a subject that, by habit, I've always taken very "meaningfully" and it's only my nature to come to this topic with such a mind-set. Of course, there's so much more to say about this but there's a point when words are no longer effective; only the ineffable experience can/will provide with the 'truth'. The "true satyr" of the experience is, "Am I so-and-so being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly being so-and-so?"

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Interesting

I liked it, but there is a caveat that should be mentioned about probabilities. Although the odds on any individual outcome of a random sequence may be infinitesimally small, one should not confuse that with the odds of any outcome at all or how the outcome came to be. For example, the odds on a randomly shuffled deck of cards being in its precise order are about 1 in 8E+67, but that does not mean that the odds on the existence of the deck of cards is equally small. The odds on a precise outcome says absolutely nothing about the odds on how that outcome came to be. The two are entirely unrelated.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Some More Words

Quantum phenomena seem to operate only in the realm of the very small, and although they deeply inform modern cosmology (which is a big subject, to say the least), do not seem to be of much explanatory value in the "ordinary" world in which people experience their daily/conscious life. The pet cats in our homes to which we return after a day away at work do not routinely die from some probabilistic state of potential poisoning that gets resolved when an observer walks through the front door. More typically the cat ages and ends up going to a veterinarian as it approaches the end of its life. Terms like consciousness are bits of language, and as philosophers like Wittgenstein have pointed out, humans need to be really respectful when using language as a tool. If you aren't very careful about defining what words mean, then syntheses such as yours tend more toward the poetry area of the human experience continuum than the science domain -- not to imply that art does not have great value. Some wits have no doubt pointed out that a dictionary is nothing but a collection of tautologies, since every word in them is defined in terms of other words. What seems slighted in your discussion (of course you can't cover everything, especially in such a forum as this) is Freud (who would have appreciated that fact that so many of Literotica's most read stories concern incest) and evolution. Brilliant minds have defined the world in such a way that the laws of thermodynamics are true. If we see entropy decreasing locally, it must be because on a larger scale it is really increasing, or at best breaking even. Energy can't be created or destroyed; only shuffled around from one form to another. The stuff of which the universe is composed, if all the mathematics and concepts which our best physicists/philosophers have devised to express their observations in the laboratory and their personal space-time experiences have any meaning at all, has evolved. In the specific case of biological creatures, it seems likely that a Darwinian tautology applies; those systems of things that are good at surviving go on, and those that aren't tend toward extinction. Consciousness may be the entertainment that "God" gives to youngsters in the back seats of the car going on a long trip, to keep them amused and distracted during the journey, of which they may have little or no awareness (which is not to say that the adults in the front seat who planned and financed the trip have a "total" grasp of the journey's meaning either). A person's psychology could be "fruit" wrapped around the "pit" of libido; DNA may be in charge here, and after four score years or so, the DNA -- having hopped a ride onto another host for 80 or so years of life, it hopes -- is happy to discard the person into death. As the old clichés go: a man thinks with his blood-engorged sexual organ; woman is a term used to describe the fleshy organ that surrounds a vagina. Because consciousness promotes survival, it flourishes? The fact that a unit of light can be both pure energy (surrounded by or arising from nothing but vacuum) and also a particle with dimension that precludes vacuum may not be so much a contradiction or an utter amazement as an indication of how limited the human brain is in its ability to develop concepts and language. Gödel and others have pointed in mathematics to the provable limitations within formal systems. The "problem" with contemporary neuroscience and cosmology is that the idea of getting outside of the brain/consciousness or outside of the universe to perhaps have a better vantage point, one less prone to Incompleteness theorems, is either impractical or nonsensical. The fact that a unit of light can be both pure energy (surrounded by or arising from nothing by vacuum) and also pseudo-simultaneously a particle with dimension that precludes vacuum may not be so much a contradiction or an utter amazement as an indication of how limited the human brain is in its ability to develop concepts and language. It may be apocryphal, but if someone did in fact approach Beethoven during his lifetime and ask him to explain one of his sublime symphonies, he would most likely have refused to do so. If words, of which you have utilized many and I am in danger of doing likewise, could shed light on the meaning of music, then music would be a book or a speech or a conversation. But it's not. It's something else. Consciousness appears to be something else all right.

rproctorrproctoralmost 14 years ago
OK I gave you a 5 on effort.

Not bad considering the subject. I get my understanding of being simply because I died ( Vietnam Vet ) and was perfectly content to stay that way but the Doctors, in their wisdom, thought I should live and brought me back . To say I was unhappy would be an understatement.

I went from a content atheist who didn't care about anything except getting out of that damn war and having a good time to a completely confused individual.

I saw that I am all that is. My personality wouldn't accept that though. I was nearly committed because of my ramblings for a couple of years.

I finally after about 10 years and tons of scientific and philosophic study made myself a pact. I would appease my personality by really living in exchange for periods of reflection and meditation.

It wasn't as simple as it sounds but language and/or the written word will never convey the reality. It can be fun trying though.

Now I use little or no references to the scientists or philosophers I have read but rely on the point or argument standing or falling on it's own. Too many references tend to confuse or obfuscate what I'm trying to convey.

A great secret I've found is self realization isn't all it's cracked up to be. Death in a sense is what makes life worth living. If you are not afraid of death then it tends to blunt many of life's exciting and even dangerous experiences. Where pride and fulfillment is replaced by a lackadaisical outlook and death is something to look forward to then I say ignorance is bliss.

In a way the universe and sentient life in particular is a was of forgetting "I am One" and enjoying yourself with all those others out there. Well I still have allot of personality left so I can still have a good time and also be at peace at life's downturns.

By the way you can use me as a reference.

Robert Proctor-Computer network engineer, ex nuclear reactor operator, skydiver, hang glider, HOG rider, scuba diver and overall survivor.

sacksackalmost 14 years ago
Well done!

Although it would be difficult to "prove" or "disprove" many of the ideas presented here. you wll get many people (or consciousnesses!) thinking about life and death, which couldn't hurt. This is too good for just Lit.,have you considered publishing it?

BarbaraBarbaraalmost 14 years ago
Deeply disturbing, with limited research undertaken! Rated a 4 for imagination however.

In presenting 'the truth about life after death', apart from employing very few relevant facts relating to 'so-called' emotional distress over death processes, readers are left wondering why this confusing essay was ever written in the first place? EG: Why do most aging humans aspire to reach heaven, yet few are willing to take necessary steps to achieve the final acceptance by God! Life is eternal [we are told] yet mortal continuity remains abhorrant to relatives and friends nearing a natural death.

Some have been dragged back into mortality, through medical intervention but until a conscious brain is able to be reasoned with prior to successful resussitation, doctors are merely prolonging Hell for their suffering patient.

Should we be be grateful for medical technology, or allow human nature to take an inevitable course to release patients from a life-long suffering? Has this author interviewed any recent victims, of 'near-death' experiences? -As a spiritualist medium , I've never encountered any unhappy spirits, living in the afterlife! -They reflect contented souls, with no desire for reincarnation whatsoever to this 'mortal coil' we inhabit, in our opinion.

rproctorrproctoralmost 14 years ago
Mediums?

I've been there as related before (rproctor). Before my experience I had little thought to spiritualism. After my experience I found out that mediums and so much new age literature including such drivel as "I think therefore I am" and a bunch of philosophic and theological literature is bunk. Make sure Barbra doesn't ask for a credit card for her readings. I would think that the title would come under criticism as through that there is no real TRUTH. There is only what is. Discussions can really be fun though. For instance feelings are as transitory and unreal as the rest of the universe (or universes) for that matter. By the way most near death experiences do not enlightenment make. As the Highlander says " there can be only One". So much for spirits, also we are all incarnations of each other and the universe in total.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Soul and Afterlife as global shared consciousness

Consider the connections of everything as with gravity and the instantaneous nature of quantum entanglement.

Princeton University has been doing a study for more than ten years about shared consciousness among humans with supporting results.

The sharing of consciousness all our lives causes part of us to reside in the minds of everyone still living. Then after we die we continue to live in some fashion as a collective in those same minds.

I'd like to take credit for this but I got it from a book about Building Universes.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
Contributing to your thesis: quantum entanglement and the afterlife

I believe in God, but I also believe that the written works of man related to God are corrupted by greed and self-serving interests. People cite "Faith" and rationalize that contradiction is acceptable. Of what use is rationalization if the loops of circular logic are small and only applicable to a tiny restricted system of knowledge? Contradictions hide the basis for true understanding.

The following is conjecture based upon Quantum Entanglement.

How the Soul becomes part of the Afterlife

Could people act either knowingly or not as demons; regardless of good or bad intentions?

All peoples minds are connected together by one or more forces/energies. A complex relationship between minds allows for a type of telepathy. We have all heard about twins having an uncommonly strong connection to one another, even though they may live a thousand miles apart. Family and Friends often experience similar phenomena. I've personally had experiences that are too related, to be unrelated coincident, that defy current understanding in science. But having this connection between minds explains so much.

I learned about gravity and its different properties while in school. I have since learned a bit about how the human mind physically works. I connected the two and found a mechanism by which telepathy is not only possible, but probable. In science, a condition exists called "entangled particles"; two particles move instantly related to one another over great distances. Picture of instrument used to create entangled particles artificially.

Another type of atom to atom interaction: Every atom shares gravity. Lay a string of atoms in a straight line and get them pulsating together. The effect felt by any one of the atoms to a change in any other atom of the chain is many magnitudes stronger than in relation to any atom not in the chain. Change one and you influence all of them. This effect is amplified because of resonance, like plucking a string on a guitar or piano. Increase this effect many trillions of times in the form of atoms in the brain and that many of the atoms in the brain will dominantly respond to a connection with atoms outside of the brain.

There are many energies and nuclear interactions that can be conveyed from one persons' mind to another. This is just to show they exist. Two people may very well be connected telepathically without knowing; their subconcious minds connected in various ways.

Every person everywhere has a mental connection to every other person everywhere! We live in a world where we share our thoughts on a subconscious level. Our subconscious minds create emotional sensations that our cognitive mind uses to determine how we feel about a particular situation.

When you die, the people who knew you continue to have their memories of you. These emotional memories are shared with everyone in the world but they are most strongly associated with the space provided in loved ones minds. After death, you continue to live in the minds of people everywhere. This is not just a memory, this would be an independent influence that lives amongst many peoples minds.

I wonder if this would explain ghosts, reincarnation, and other spirit manifestations.

This is not God-like, it is just a connection that people have with one another. God is a much larger entity that is part of all the Universe. We may be created in God's image, perhaps in the form of what we consider our soul, not our physical form.

So people/demons who want to take advantage of this proclaim personal knowledge of God. Those demons seek to control the minds of other people as desciples. The hope is to become strong in the thoughts of desciples so that demons themselves will have a strong afterlife. The desciples will still have an afterlife within those that loved them, but demonic persons will attempt to share the emotional space that would normally be reserved for family and friends.

One mind can only hold so much. That is why our population must continue to grow. To help hold the minds of all those who have gone before us, and ourselves. We must populate the Universe because we will need greater resources for food and space to live with an ever growing population.

Loved ones will be within the minds of most people as they die.

Thus the reason deceptive people seek god-like reverence; they themselves are greedy and seek a stronger afterlife than their desciples. When you give reverence to demons, you give them a place in the hearts and minds of those you love, when you yourself die. You don't just give up a place for your own soul, you provide a place for demons in those you love.

God proclaimed "Thou shalt not kill"; now you know why this was absolute in the Ten Commandments!

Demons seek to convince their deciples to kill in their name, because when their deciples die, the demon enters the minds of their deciples friends and family. Demons prey on the connection of Love between friends and family. When the body of the demon dies it claims the space provided by previous deciple deaths.

Future deciples of the idolized written works of the demon, upon deciple deaths, contribute to the demons space and influence in the minds of future deciples, and their loved ones after their death.

Those innocents killed have no real connection to the demon, so their surviving friends and family are somewhat separate. However, we the living are all connected. Demonic presence is part of all of us. Deciples of demons corrupt the souls of themselves, their family, their friends, and everyone still living.

Now put the Soul into the context of the "Ten Commandments".

Thou shalt have no other gods before me

helping to prevent abuse of your soul by demonic persons

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image (including text), or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

helping to prevent abuse of your soul by demonic persons who write down their teachings to corrupt future souls as deciples of the demon

Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain

no one and no thing shall speak for, or on behalf of, God

if you denounce any person/demon who claims to be a god or have God's favor, then you help prevent abuse of your soul by demonic persons

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy

the sabbath day is every day, it is the day you may die, the day your soul ascends

remember that each person shall every day follow the teachings of the Ten Commandments

Honour thy father and thy mother

become the dwelling place for the souls of your mother and father; providing a link to all peoples who came before them

Thou shalt not kill

kill no one, because to do so destroys a dwelling place for souls

Thou shalt not commit adultery

adulterous relationships provide less space for loved ones and those whose souls they contain

Thou shalt not steal

thou shalt not attempt to steal space for your soul

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour

thou shalt not attempt to defame a person to inspire a place for themselves or for others

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house

thou shalt not attempt to build a place for one's soul based upon envy

In the context of the soul, none of the Ten Commandments has anything directly to do with social issues, and it has nothing to do with any particular religion about God that you happen to believe in. The Ten Commandments are the guidelines for helping each person best provide for their souls' transition into their afterlife.

The Final Destruction of Afterlife

However, when all people die, this afterlife provided by all people still living, shall end. When a large asteroid hits the Earth, everyone who has ever lived shall die in the mind of the last person to die. Our only hope for continued survival of our afterlife is if the human race lives beyond the confines of the Earth, on other planets, moons, and in habitats other than Earth.

How Prayer Works

When you pray, God hears your every word; but to a degree, so does every person living, and every person who has gone before us. If you desire to speak to loved ones who have left this world before you, do so; your mental effort to do so will be felt by them.

Before your loved ones pass, open your minds to them and grant them a place within your mind and heart.

Proof of Afterlife existing within the Minds of the Living

Faith should only be used as a place to start a search for truth. Scientists often develop a faith that certain relationshps exist, then they go onto trying to prove the relationship is based in truth. Anything that is obviously in error is set aside and only those relationships that have the reasonable possibility of being correct are retained. The ultimate goal of any faith is to be destroyed by truth.

The problem with most religions is that they are based solely upon faith. The very definition of religion is that there is no proof related to its principles. However, what I propose is not a religion because the concepts presented should be provable.

The soul and afterlife of a person is in no way related to the particular religion that the individual believes in related to God. God in no way is reflected in religious texts, but this does not invalidate the physical presence of the soul in the minds and hearts of all people living everywhere. The soul and afterlife are a physical thing like the thoughts in our minds.

If the soul of a person lives on through the subconscious of the living, then there are physical properties of the human brain and body that should reflect that influence.

For instance, if telepathy can be proven, then the likelihood of a persons' intelligence communicating at the subconscious level with another person becomes highly probable.

There has been much related research with considerable findings both supporting and debunking telepathic experiences. The most recent I've seen was on "Myth Busters" where they induced the subject to scratch his nose. But this was not an adequately controlled situation. But the evidence is noteworthy.

If emotions (subconscious states) are transmitted telepathically, then the essence of a persons' subconscious mind has a copy in other peoples. If the cognitive relationships associated with a person can also be transmitted telepathically, then an image of that person may reside in one or more other peoples.

A person interacting as a person previously unknown, provides strong evidence that an afterlife under these conditions (sequence of interconnected tests confirmed by observations) exists. I have heard of such occurences, but I do not know if they have been documented adequately.

Debunking the Torah, Bible, and Quran as works of God

The Universe ("all the heavens") according to the Torah and Bible, and as supported by the Quran, was created within 6 days. Even if it took a thousand years, how can we be looking at Galaxies 47 Billion light years away, when the Earth is only 4.5 billion years old? The speed of light traveling for one year, represents one year of time passing.

The Hubble telescope can only see 47 billion light years from Earth, but that does not mean there are not Galaxies beyond that distance. Even in conservative perspectives, the Universe is older than 14.5 billion years. So the light from these distant galaxies has been traveling 10 times longer than the Earth has actually existed, or conservatively, the Universe is 10 billion years older than the Earth; and likely much older. So the Bible and Torah document a story that is blattantly false.

God provided us with vast amounts of its work to read for ourselves. The Sun, ancient ruins and bones, the geological structure of the Earth, planets, ... these are all direct works of God that are mostly untouched by man.

Any single fraudulent story in the Torah, Bible, or Quran invalidates the entire document as being reflective of God. I suspect the Torah, Bible, and Quran may have significant "social" meaning, but they are NOT reflective of God/Allah.

Why would socially significant revelations be combined with obviously incorrect relationships related to God? Social issues and specifics about God are not related!

The Corruption of Peoples Souls

What purpose would men/demons have for creating such documents?

I propose that demons are simply ancient men who have been successful in corrupting the minds of people throughout history for their own selfish reasons. They are neither gods nor god-like.

Why would men/demons want deciples to believe in them instead of believing in God? Why would Jesus or Mohammad want people to think of them throughout eternity instead of thinking of God itself? People think of God in many ways without being taught, it is a natural consequence of being human. People never exposed to the concept of God think of a universe guided by wilfull thoughts of a more developed being(s) than ourselves. The artifacts common to all religions are based within our perceptions. Those actual relationships that really do influence our lives that are too difficult to directly recognize, are referenced superficially in every religion. Which is why so many religions share certain qualities.

Sept 18, 2007:

I came across a study being done at Princeton University where they are trying to detect and correlate Global Consciousness.

http://noosphere.princeton.edu/index.html

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous