The Twelve Tables Ch. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,536 Followers

"I'd like to try the local beer," Francesco said easily. "Whatever is on tap is fine with me."

"I'll have whatever Marco has decided on, he's been studying that wine list long enough," Nero said seriously.

"Ah then, the Billiecarte-Salmon if you're in the mood for bubbles," Marco pointed to the wine list as he spoke. "And a bottle of the Taylor's Pinot, thanks."

"You're looking well," Nero said in his stiff, formal way.

"I feel well, and happy," Peri said suddenly unsure of herself without the support of Andie and Lucia. "I need to say some things so if you could just bear with me while I try and remember my perfect speech which has suddenly fled my mind," she laughed nervously.

"I hired my own lawyer when I went to court, and I asked him to investigate everything that happened that day because I was trying to remember as much as possible," she began to speak while they sat looking at her blankly. "I know you could have easily have seen the trail Nik left for you and believed I had run away," she paused as they began to protest. "Please let me get this all out," she said quietly and held up her hand.

"I realise you didn't do that and rather than believe I had run away you searched for me. I know that it was your determination not to give up on me that led you to find me, when you thought you had exhausted every possibility. I also know that if you had not found me as quickly as you did, I might not have survived at all. Or at least, I would have been in much worse shape," she tried to smile again, but it didn't fully translate to her eyes. "I wanted to thank you all personally for not giving up on me and saving my life."

"You shouldn't be thanking us for saving you from a situation we should have prevented in the first place," Francesco shook his head.

"I've had a lot of time to think about all the what if's and maybe's while I have been recovering," she spoke softly and smiled at the three men. "I think that Nik would have tried to hurt me eventually, and I am lucky that it happened when I had people who cared enough to come and save me instead of here in the city or god forbid at the farm with all that wide open space." She paused. "I also know there were other factors for why it was important to you to find me quickly, but I am choosing to believe you did it because you cared about me rather than because I was a special case given to your care and the consequences that went along with that. So please don't burst my bubble."

"We do care about you, that is why we have come all this way," Marco said taking her hand. "I wish I could take part of the credit for finding you, but it was those two who worked it out in the end and found the loose window."

"You still searched, I know because I have read each of your statements to the police," she said sounding more confident than she felt. "I owe all three of you, my life." She turned then to Nero and looked at him for a long moment before speaking. "I also owe you an apology for the way I left your hospital. I was confused and frightened, and I didn't want any of the Donati's near me or anything to do with them. That included the people they had sent me to. I am not making excuses but hoping you can understand why I had to leave so fast. I was going insane, like a rat trapped in an awful and painful experiment, and I had to get out."

"Thank you for that explanation," Nero said. "I didn't understand you as well as I perhaps thought I did at the time but Joshua said as much when we spoke to him the day you left. So there was no need to explain or apologise. We are just happy to see you so well again." He smiled uncharacteristically

"Well fuck me, he can smile," Francesco laughed loudly and earned a scowl from Nero in return.

"I bought you each something small to remind you that despite everything that happened that day, you were heroes, at least, to me," Peri said.

"And me," Andie said returning to the table with Lucia.

Peri felt more relaxed now that she had said what she needed to, in order to thank them properly and she mentally ticked another thing off her list. They toasted her good health and the coming together of friends. Each of them opened the crystal paperweight she had bought them for their desk and the small note she had written to go with them explaining why the design had reminded her of the time she had spent with them individually. They had talked for over an hour before Francesco spoke louder than necessary to her.

"It's a shame I like Joshua so much, or I might be trying to talk you out of marrying him," Francesco said teasingly. "The man has my respect though for the way he handled himself at our table so I guess I will have to step aside graciously." He grinned looking past Peri to the bar beyond their table.

"As if you ever had a real shot with her," Marco laughed easily getting to his feet as Josh walked to their table. "Thanks for the invite, my friend," Marco greeted him.

"I had little choice in the matter to tell you the truth," Josh admitted, "All three of you were on that list of hers."

"A list of people she'll leave you for?" Francesco asked hopefully.

"My mother is on that list, so I'm thinking that's a different list that I haven't seen and probably includes, Gerard Butler," Josh joked good-naturedly. "Can I get anyone another drink?"

"Yeah, I'll come to the bar with you to get a beer," Francesco said and stood from his seat, as Josh leaned down to kiss Peri's cheek.

"I'd love some iced water," she whispered and felt him nod his understanding.

"Another bottle Lucy?" He asked.

"Sure why not," she laughed easily. "Andie will help me drink it."

Pete arrived within minutes of Josh and Dante, and Emilio followed him in a short time later. Each had wanted to clear the air with the Battaglia men for their own reasons after the traumatic time spent at their hospital facility.

"Our guests will be arriving soon," Josh whispered in Peri's ear.

"I'll see you all at the party," Peri stood with a smile. "I just need to freshen up a little if you'll excuse me."

"Me too, you have no idea how much time it takes to look this pretty," Josh joked pulling a face.

"I guess that's my cue to change as well," Andie said sadly. "This has been a lot of fun, though, I hope it continues tonight. Lucy, you're welcome to come and freshen up in my room if you like, not that you need it with your beautiful complexion."

"You're not leaving me here alone with all these men and their terrible humour," Lucia laughed and stood with her friends. "Don't have too much fun remember the oldies will be there too." She had warned before they started walking from the bar.

"I like Josh and all but how did he just manage to leave with all the women and leave us stuck with you guys," Francesco complained to Dante and Emilio.

*****

"How's the arm?" Josh asked as they entered the suite.

"It's good," she smiled and held it up to show there was no sign of bruising or anything to show she had been in a cast for the last six weeks.

"I've missed this arm," Josh said taking her arm and kissing it tenderly and pulling her into his arms. He kissed her deeply and fumbled with the zip on the back of her dress.

"Josh, stop that, I'm not going to host a party that your parents and family are attending immediately after you have messed up my hair and makeup!" she put her hands on his chest and tried to push him away."

"What?" he asked feigning innocence. "I was just trying to be helpful by undoing the zip for you."

"Uh huh," she said sceptically but returned his grin as she stepped away from him and let the dress fall from her shoulders. "Thank you for the help," she laughed and retrieved the garment bag from the small closet where it had hung. She unzipped it and reached into the bottom of the bag pulling out a sturdy looking strapless bra.

"Oh god," Josh moaned. "I thought we got rid of all those old boulder holders."

"Josh, it's a strapless dress, and I need this, trust me you will like the effect it has on the girls," she held it in front of her breasts.

"I prefer it when they are free to move and jiggle any way that they want," he said closing the gap between them again.

"Just trust me this time," she said still laughing and dancing out of his reach. "Aren't you going to change too?" She asked.

"I will as soon as I am done helping you with the girls," he waggled his eyebrows.

"Stop that it's our party, and we don't want to be late," She said putting a hand out as if to warn him off.

"Okay fine," he said petulantly. "But you just got your arm out of a cast so let me help you do up that torture chamber you are putting my girls into." He said with a perfectly straight face.

"That would be helpful," she admitted. "Just try to behave and keep your hands where they should be." She turned her back to him then so he could unhook the bra she had worn during the day.

"I've got an idea," he said as he moved closer and kissed her shoulder and neck. His hands deftly undid the hooks of her bra, and he followed the straps around to cup her breasts and pull her back into his body. "Why don't we just make a brief appearance tonight and then come back here and have our own celebration of that cast coming off."

"That sounds lovely," Peri sighed softly in pleasure as his skilled hands played with her breasts and he spoke softly in her ear. "But we have to get there first," she pulled the bra away and placed the strapless bra over his hands.

"If we have to," Josh groaned and took the straps to fastened it behind her. He watched mesmerised as she turned, her hands dipping in and out of each bra cup rearranging the soft globes of flesh until they sat up as if being served on a platter to him. As much as he disliked bra's he had to admit that she had a valid point about this particular sturdy bra.

He loved that she always left the dress to last moment and he watched as she stood in front of the mirror to play with the small tendrils of her hair that had escaped the intricate style she wore and fixed her make up. He so badly wanted to mess up both her makeup and her hair at that moment. Groaning, he turned to retrieve the fresh shirt and tie he had brought with him for tonight and get ready for the party.

"Don't groan at me," she teased. "This party was your idea remember. You're the one who wanted to hold it on Valentine's day, regardless of the fact it was the day I got my cast off." They continued to banter as they finished getting dress. Peri enjoyed being able to roll the thigh high stockings up her legs by herself and steadfastly refused Josh's repeated offers of help. Once she was happy with everything else she stepped into her dress and pulled it up holding it against her chest as Josh stepped behind her to do the zip. She smiled noting that the tie she had bought him matched the silver of her dress perfectly.

"I agree," Josh murmured into her ear and kissed her shoulder again.

"I didn't say anything," Peri looked at his reflection in the full-length mirror as he stood behind her kissing her neck.

"About the bra," he murmured and let his fingers slide over the exposed skin of her breasts appreciatively making her smile.

"Shall we go downstairs before you get carried away?" Peri asked and grinned at his answering groan.

"I guess we have to put in an appearance at our party," he chuckled and stepped away from her slightly. "Are you ready for this?"

"No," she said anxiously, "It's now or never, though, so let's go."

*****

xelliebabex
xelliebabex
5,536 Followers