The Unready Prefect

Story Info
An earnest student is set upon.
13.1k words
4.89
5.5k
2
0

Part 1 of the 1 part series

Updated 04/13/2024
Created 04/13/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Author's Note To Reader - This particular work is part of the larger story arc of "The Caged Student" and "The Good Housemaster". Just as I did for The Good Housemaster, I strongly recommend that you start at The Caged Student before beginning this part. However, if you do wish to begin here, chronologically, this will be as far back as I plan to go. Once again, there could be some confusion about the importance of certain plot points in this story.

Speaking of plot points, there is a photo story from the late seventies that gave me the spark I needed for The Unready Prefect. From Janus 23, Pippa Marshall: Day of Injustice, I took a few minor details of that story as well as the general appearance of the lady pictured in said magazine. Other than that, this work is completely my own, and the characters have no other resemblance in motivations or events that are described there.

Now, without any further ado, please enjoy...

The Unready Prefect

November 19th, 1965

Opening my wardrobe, I sigh and place a gown in the travel bag. My first trip in ages, and it had to be a meeting with him. Right in the middle of the first term as well. It couldn't be helped, however. This was just too important. Deputy Higgins would just have to deal without me for a few days. Not that there should be any problems this far out in south-west Australia. There's absolutely nothing out here to distract him or the students. Just as I close my valise, there's a knock at the door. "Yes?"

My nineteen-year-old future prefect peeks around the jamb with a smile. "Mistress Moore? I just wanted to thank you before you left."

"Come in, Miss Watson. You were the logical choice since you've had top marks in your second-year form. Don't let that go to your head, though, since it's not official yet."

She nods respectfully. "Of course, Mistress."

I appreciate her natural compliance with my requests. Quickly giving the young woman a once-over, I check her uniform. The late-spring air is growing warm, so the knee-length pullover white cotton dress topped with a blue cross tie and matching belt is required for day-to-day wear. The ladies would just swelter in anything heavier anyway. The blond student is properly wearing the narrow-brim boater hat with ribbon, and that would help with the sun if she went outside. The second year had also taken to cutting her blond hair very short recently. Like many of the girls here, it was simpler to cut it down to pixie length and just wear a faux if they wanted to dress nicely. The shoes and short stockings, though... There was just no getting around the constant battle with dust and sand. It's one uniform code I let slide. "I'll be gone until tomorrow, so I expect no difficulties."

The freckled face of the tanned young lady nods seriously. "Yes, ma'am. I've already delivered your notes to Professors Hagermann and Turner. Was there anything else you needed?"

I shake my head, trying not to smirk. The lady is a go-getter, and that's a fact. I could sense she would soon be ready to take on her role for me. "Yes. When you see Miss Ryan, let her know she's in charge of the dorm." Feeling my age, I hear a joint or two creak as I pick up my heavy bag. Yes. I may not look it, but the ravages of time have started to set in. The sooner this lady standing before me is ready, the better. "Wish me luck!"

"Of course, ma'am. Fair travels." The girl smiles as I give her a quick hug and turns to leave. I especially appreciate her being a hugger. It gives me a bit of a boost as I gird myself for a long and bumpy ride.

* * *

Deputy Headmaster Higgins watches out his office window as the old auto drives away down the dusty road. What a nuisance. A visitor so soon after I transferred? Why was this school set up in such a god-forsaken place anyway?! It's so damned isolated this far into the outback. I'm sure that the groundskeeper and I are the only males within a hundred kilometers short of a few ranchers scattered about nearby. Even he's driving away, leaving me completely alone!

I slowly turn my chair away from the window and sigh. Only having been here a few weeks, I'm settling in, but it's still a lot to get used to. To watch over a group of women from eighteen to twenty-two, as well as the staff, is more than a bit daunting. On top of everything, there's more paperwork than ever as my stack doubles by the day.

Pulling at my mustache in frustration, I open the door to the small office and walk outside into the yellow dirt. Shading my eyes, I see most of the young ladies are leaving their final classes and either congregating in front of the canteen or going to the dormitories. Things haven't been as orderly as I hoped since I arrived. Professor Moore's lax discipline doesn't sit well at all, but I can't argue with the results in the grades I've seen so far. Straightening my bow tie, it was time to make sure things improved while she's gone. Two first-year students catch my sharp eye. Even from here, I could see they had unbuttoned their ties in order to stay cool. Marching out into the sun, I promise myself that I will be a visible example of how to maintain a regimented code of conduct at this school.

* * *

My organizational skills serve me again as I finish the last of my assignments and close the book. That should do for this week and part of the next. Storing my books in the personal footlocker next to the bed, it's time for dinner. Looking over to the two other girls I share the room with, I see they're still hard at work. "Not done yet?"

Courtney brushes her thicker, blond hair out of her face. "No. I still have three chapters to notate."

Melissa looks frustrated. "There's no way you've already finished, Kylie."

"I have." Stretching my long limbs, I stand up, looking over my friend's work. "Oh. I see, then. Just check your references and get the letters in the right positions. Then you just have to fill in the specifics all at once."

The brunette stares at her papers for a moment. "You know what? You're right." She pounds the table once. "I was doing it all backwards!"

"It wasn't wrong. Just slow."

My roommate grimaces. "Tactful as ever. You leaving?"

"Yes. I have to find Olivia and then get to meal."

Melissa turns to the other girl. "Where does she get the energy?"

Courtney shrugs. "I don't know, but can I have some?"

"At least you can get this done twice as fast. Toodles!" Placing the hat over my short, silken hair, I make my way to the dining hall, smiling at everyone as they pass by. Keeping a lookout, I finally catch up with my prefect just outside the hall with several older classmates. "Olivia!"

The dark-haired junior turns. "Oh. It's you."

I smile apologetically. "Sorry for calling out. I just wanted to let you know you're in charge for the next few days."

"Of course I am. I guess Moore couldn't be stuffed to tell me in person."

"Well; you were in class, so I went to say goodbye."

"Always Caring Kylie. Thanks for the message." The prefect turns her back and continues her conversation.

I sigh as I enter the canteen. The message had been passed on, and that was that. Picking out the usual spot, I slowly eat, waiting for my roomies. To my surprise, they never arrive. Were they still doing assignments? Having finished the meal and sitting alone, I realise there are only twenty minutes left before the servers close the kitchen. Hurrying outside, I extend my long stride and try not to run for the dorm.

"Hold up there!"

I stop short, nearly bumping into Deputy Higgins. "Sorry, sir!"

"No running in and out of buildings, Miss."

"Yes, sir. I'll be more careful, sir."

The frowning man looks me up and down once. "Your hat is askew, Miss...?"

"Watson, sir." I straighten it and then stand at attention.

"Better. Watson. Ah, yes. Professor Moore had mentioned you. In the running for prefect, if I'm not mistaken." 

I nod deferentially. "Yes, sir."

"Not the best first impression, Miss Watson. Always carry yourself with dignity at this school. We're here to make you all into fine, upstanding women."

"Yes, sir." I stand just a bit straighter.

"Off with you then."

I can tell that the older man watches me for a bit. As he said, it was not the best first impression. I just hope my show of respect was enough. Turning a corner and safely away, I enter the dormitory at a more calm pace and head to my room. The girls are going to starve if they don't go... "Oooof!"

The door is partially blocked by Courtney, who had removed her dress and is now applying talcum to keep the sweat under control. Bumped from behind, her hand squeezes the bottle and sends a jet of the white powder into her own face. Melissa covers her mouth and then starts laughing.

Courtney's blond hair is coated. "Christ! Why did you rush in?"

I wave my hand in front of my face. "I wasn't rushing. I didn't know you were right there."

The short student tries to brush it off, but to little effect. "Stop laughing!"

"You look like half of a...a ghost!" Melissa falls back on her bed, pointing with mock fright.

"I'll show you something to be scared of!" With that, the young woman brandishes her bottle and jumps on top of her much bigger roommate.

"Gerroff!" The brunette grabs at Courtney's arm but finds herself getting liberally sprinkled anyway. She raises a thick leg to push the athletically petite girl off. 

I stand there gobsmacked. My two friends are wrestling with each other! Courtney, in her white cotton underwear. Melissa, on her back with her dress gathered around her waist. Now this is QUITE unladylike. I step into the room, calling out for them to stop, but they ignore me. Seeing an opportunity, I reach in for the bottle to take it. Unfortunately for everyone, another puff of talcum is ejected into the air, which is starting to get quite thick with the stuff.

"What are you up to?!"

The three of us turn to see Olivia in the doorway, scowling. I have the bottle in hand and try to think of an excuse. I glance over at the other two untangling themselves, and my shoulders slump. There's no explanation for that. "I, uhh, just opened the door, and Courtney spilled..."

"Spilled?! It's everywhere!"

Melissa stands, brushing herself. "We'll clean it up."

Olivia glares at all three of us for a moment. "Miss Watson, will you mean? I want you two dressed and out here in one minute."

Courtney looks confused. "Why?"

The dark-haired prefect folds her arms. "I was told to do an inspection and now have to delay. I must report this."

"But Mistress Moore isn't..." Courtney's eyes widen.

Olivia nods seriously. "Yes. Right to Deputy Higgins. Chamberlain, get your uniform on now and follow me!"

The half-coated brunette didn't even have time to brush off as she buttoned up her dress. "Let me clean up first!"

"Oh, no. Your appearance will help explain things so much easier. Watson; make sure this is clean when I return." She all but drags the two dumbfounded ladies out, leaving me to manage on my own.

Growing worried, I survey the damage. It's everywhere! Hoping my friends weren't in too much trouble, I pull the sheets off of Melissa's bed. The room would be ready for inspection, I promise myself. Hopefully, that would mollify Olivia and make things better for my friends. 

Thirty minutes pass, and there's no sign of Melissa or Courtney. Several other ladies from the house peek in with curiosity and either smirk or shake their heads. Word does get around fast, obviously. Luckily, the worst is cleared away by the time my prefect returns.

"Not quite finished, I see."

I turn and shrug. "Nearly there. Just a wet rag to the furniture should do it."

"Enough of that." The brooding junior leans against the door. "Headmaster Higgins has requested your presence."

"Whatever for?"

"Wants your account, I imagine," the older student says while casually looking at her nails. "Better get over there."

"Alright then." Knowing it would be serious to keep the deputy waiting, I use my long legs to stride quickly outside. Letting the sun hit my face, I enjoy the deeper bronze look I get, even though I'm blonde. Taking the most direct route across the courtyard, I arrive at Higgins' centrally located office, which also serves as his residence. Straightening up my hat, as the deputy reminded me earlier, I knock at the door. Standing there, I wonder how much trouble my friends are in. I hear the expected 'Come' and I enter. The older man is seated at his desk and peers at me across the smallish office. "You requested to see me, sir?"

"Watson again, is it?"

I nod respectfully. "Yes, sir."

"Shut the door behind you if you'd please."

I do so, trying not to become nervous. Seeing how serious he appears, I come forward and stand at attention. From this new vantage point, I notice the talcum bottle is sitting on the desk. Olivia must have grabbed it and brought it here.

"Now, Watson, could you tell me what happened just now in your room?"

I look again at the bottle seated prominently at the front of the deputy's desk. Was there anything I could say for my friends? Not likely. It would not do to contradict Olivia. Feeling a twinge of remorse, I begin my account. Even so, I try my best for Melissa and Courtney by minimising the wrestling between the two of them. "...after that, I managed to take the bottle, sir."

Headmaster Higgins stares back at me for a moment. "And is that when your prefect had to break things up?"

"Yes, sir. She arrived right after, and they stopped."

"They stopped? I see. Is there anything else you would like to volunteer?"

Was there any more I think to myself? There's little else to say about what happened, I guess. Nothing that would help the plight of my roommates, whatever that may be. I clasp my hands in front of me and shake my head slowly. "No, sir."

The forty-something-year-old man leans back in his chair. "Miss Watson, why are you lying to me?"

Did I just mishear the Deputy Headmaster? I look at him in obvious confusion. "Lying, sir?"

"Oh, yes. Your act was nearly perfect, Miss Watson. Very convincing. Do you use that on Headmistress Moore?"

I stand there, having no idea what the deputy head is talking about. It didn't help that the man's voice had increased a dozen decibels in the confined space. "I... I just told you what had happened, sir."

The man rises, clearly fuming. "Then why did Fields and Chamberlain blame you for instigating this incident!"

"They did?!" I just couldn't understand why they... Wait! "Sir, I think you may have misunderstood what they said. I freely admit to bumping Courtney with the door..."

"Yes. You did." Higgins comes around the desk and stands tall before me. "Didn't I just reprimand you for running after exiting the canteen this afternoon?"

I'm suddenly taken aback by the closeness of the bigger man. "Yes, sir! You did!"

"So correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that just before the incident in your room?"

"Well, yes..."

"So you didn't stop running then!" The older man picks up and brandishes the talcum bottle. "And didn't your prefect find you spraying this on your two cohorts?"

Again, I realise what may have happened. "No, sir! I was just taking it away when Olivia entered. She must have mistakenly thought..."

"Stop lying, Miss Watson!"

"But I'm not, sir!" I begin to feel more than a little unease creep into me. "If we could just get Olivia and the others back here..."

"I have already taken their statements and issued punishments for your roommates!" He places the bottle back on the desk and folds his arms. "Now I want an apology for wasting my time, and then I want the truth!"

I freeze stock still for a full five seconds, in complete disbelief. The deputy head was being utterly unreasonable. I could see the man's eyes blazing in obvious anger at me, and suddenly I grow uncertain of what to say. "Sir. I would never lie about something like this." My response is quiet, almost timorous. I'm doing all I can not to upset him even further. It seems to have no effect on the wrathful man.

"Your patently false obsequiousness will not work on me, Miss Watson. You were picked by Professor Moore to be a prefect. So act like one!"

"But I've done nothing wrong, sir!" My voice is beginning to crack. To be accused like this is so beyond my experience. I watch as the Head begins to pace before me, almost talking to himself.

"If this is any example of our headmistress' judgement, then things will have to be rectified immediately. Three ladies fighting just hours after she leaves, and now lying by her supposed star pupil. It must be stopped." He halts, looking at me up and down once more. "Starting with you!"

"Sir?!"

The short man turns away and walks to a little-used cabinet. Inside is an overcoat for inclement weather, shelves for old school records, and in the corner, almost impossible to see unless the Deputy knew it was there, a long, thin rod with a hook at the end. The serious man puts a hand to the rattan wood and draws it out. My eyes bulge when our school's new head of discipline turns back and brandishes it at me. "Sir; what are you doing?!"

"I'm determined to punish you, Miss!"

I couldn't help but notice the subtle change in how he addresses me, and a cold chill moves down my spine. It only intensifies as I watch him wave the piece of wood as if testing its strength. "Sir, Professor Moore never uses the cane!"

"I'm well aware of that, Miss. It's time to correct that, as well as you. I have decided on three strokes. Now come to my desk!"

My mouth drops open at the incisive command. Yet it's unwarranted as well as extremely unfair! I try to reason with him. "You can't, sir. I'm sure it's not allowed."

"I do not propose to argue with you, Watson!" Higgins' ever-increasing temper has started to boil over. He grabs a book and places it on the desk. The agitated man flips a few pages and then taps the top with the cane. "Come here and read this, Miss!"

With extreme trepidation, I slowly approach where Headmaster Higgins has indicated. I peer down at the book to see what's there.

"No, young lady," Higgins growls. "Over the desk. Hands flat on each side. Then read out to me the Code of Conduct."

I make no move. In my growing moment of desperation, I make a heartfelt plea. "Please, sir. You have to believe me..."

"Believe you?!" Higgins gives a short bark of a laugh. "After all that you just said? Four strokes, then! Now over the desk before I add insubordination to the list!"

I couldn't fathom how things got to this point. Even though I want to protest the unfairness of what's to happen, any further delay would only make my situation worse! The rattan taps the spot again, but something in my mind still refuses to move. The instinctual desire to avoid what is sure to be a painful experience overrides my ingrained nature to obey a professor. Is it any wonder since I've never been caned before? Unfortunately for me, it only infuriates strict disciplinarian even further.

"Insubordination then? Now it's six! Get into position! Now!"

I gasp as Higgins lays hands on me and pushes the small of my back to the edge of the desk. Feeling his harsh breathing at my side, I finally give in. The older man's steady pressure bends me over into a very vulnerable position. With a shudder, I place my arms on each side of the book and look back at the frowning deputy.

"Section 12. Read it back to me."

Trying not to let my churning emotions take hold, I look down to find the paragraph he had indicated. Taking a nervous breath, I attempt to speak clearly. "Act of Dishonesty. An act of dishonesty may include, but is not limited to: