The Unwanted Swap Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She grabbed my hand. "That's silly, I don't do that."

"Yes, you do. You let him con you into going to that swingers party. He convinced you that job was what I needed. Even though I told you I wasn't interested."

She huffed. "Believe it or not, that job was the right call. You were just to insecure to see it."

"It might have been a good job, but I told you I didn't want it. That should have been enough, but no, you listened to him. You set up that bloody meeting."

"I'm sorry, babe, but I was doing the right thing. You asked me to find you a job. That job was perfect for you."

"Okay, we are just going round in circles. Can we move forward. Try again?"

She sighed. "I want to, I really do, but you have to learn to trust me."

"I do trust you. I don't trust him, but I do trust you."

"So long as you trust me, it doesn't matter."

We leaned in and our arms circled one another and we kissed. A soft juicy succulent kiss.

"Where have you been staying?"

"A poxy hotel. It's bloody awful."

"Well go and get your things. I'll get some dinner while you are gone."

As I stood up, she sighed. "Then I guess we better see about finding you a job."

When I returned, she had dinner on the table. As we ate I stated rather proudly. "No need to look for a job, I started with a firm."

She asked who, and I went on to explain the project. The look on her face was pure disdain. "God, you turned down a great job to work for some fly-by-night cowboys. I will never understand you."

"Why do you think they're cowboys?"

"Just from what you said: this is their first project, small team, shit money, no offices. Sounds like trouble."

"I like it. I am really enjoying it."

"Oh well, to each their own. You could have been working for a top notch firm, large projects. Everything you ever talked about."

Our life together kick started. For the most part it was better. We talked a little more and I think there was a certain honesty that wasn't there before. The fly in the ointment was Tony; if anything, his influence over Rose had grown. We couldn't have a conversation without his name coming up.

It drove me crazy and after putting up with it for a month I blew up.

"Shut up!" I screamed. "I am sick of hearing his fucking name. I don't want to know what Tony is doing, saying, or what he thinks. From now on, leave his name out of our conversation."

She looked confused. "What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about how he is part of every conversation we have. I want to have a week or a month where I never hear his name. What I am asking is that he disappear from our conversations."

That irritated her and I could see she was unhappy.

Over the next few weeks things got tense. Every time his name popped up, I said, "Stop." It always drew a look of complete confusion and a "What?"

It certainly exposed the number of times his name appeared in our conversation. I hoped it would make her aware, because she seemed completely oblivious to it.

It irritated her, that's for sure.

Life goes on, as they say. We see-sawed from loving to hating each other. The good days were amazing, like old times, but when they were bad, well, look out, our world exploded in nasty accusation filled arguments. We both said some pretty horrible things to each other. I regretted it immediately when some nasty retort spewed from my out of control mouth.

I'm sure she felt the same way. Of course we apologised, but in many ways once those words are out, there's no going back.

I was apparently a neurotic, insecure, jealous and controlling man, who had trust issues. Fair enough, I suppose. Some of that was true. I was jealous, and perhaps even the insecure bit was right.

We rollercoastered along, fighting like belligerent antagonists, We fought with the passion of the severest combatants.

My only escape was work. I worked hard, totally immersed in the project. Mark's passion rubbed off on me. I began to understand him better. He grew up in areas just like this, and his family suffered ill health from damp mould-ridden old houses. This was his attempt at providing cost effective accommodation for poor needy families.

Rose seemed to be heading in the opposite direction and our lines of communication suffered. We appeared to be drifting in opposite directions. She spent hours out shopping with Claire. Her tastes now seemed to be tied to labels and fashionable brands.

Evenings, she immersed herself in her computer. I wasn't sure what she was doing, but she spent hours on her laptop. Whatever she was doing had her attention. She was totally absorbed in it.

Whenever I tried to peek, she turned or shut down the screen so I couldn't see. It made me nervous. It got to me and irritated me to the extent one night I exploded. "What the hell are you doing on that damn computer?"

She glared at me angrily. "I can't tell you."

"Why not?"

"Because I'm not allowed to use Tony's name. That's why."

"What's he got to do with it?"

"He is teaching me how to do it."

"Do what?"

"Okay, I will tell you, but don't bite my head off if his name comes up."

"Yeah, go on then." I sighed.

She turned the laptop so I could see the screen. "Tony has been teaching me the ins and outs of day trading on the stock market."

Didn't take long for her to squeeze his name in. I sat beside her and she started to explain how it worked, and how Tony had set up her account. Tony was tutoring and mentoring her. Tony was a whizz at it.

It made me anxious. "How much money have you got tied up in it?"

She peeked at me. "None, this is a training program. All the money and shares you see here are make-believe. Tony suggested I learn to use the program before I risk any money."

Concerned, I asked, "So when were you going to start trading for real?"

"When I am comfortable with the full operation of the program."

"How often do you see or talk to him about this stuff?"

With a slightly guilty expression she replied, "Every day. Sometimes it's just over the phone, or via messenger. But every day. I am still a novice."

I couldn't hide my dissatisfaction. "I asked you to try and get some sort of separation between you two, and if anything, you have decided to do the opposite. How is this right?"

"Eddie, I can't help your stupid insecurities, petty jealousy issues. You are so lacking in trust in me that I don't know how to deal with it. Your resentment and continued suspicious possessiveness is driving me to distraction."

I could see no way to counter without starting world war three, so I just shut my mouth tightly.

She tried to soften her approach. "Babe, if you could put away all this petty shit you would see how amazingly generous Tony has been. He is trying to show me how to grow our wealth."

I swallowed my angry retort. She added softly. "Look, hon, with you taking that job our income is down nearly 30%, and if we do want to buy that house we have always talked about then we need to increase earnings."

It was a slap in the face and her taking another pot shot at me for not taking that job with Trimax. I decided to take a conciliatory path. "Well we need to talk before you commit any money into that. I remember reading that you should only invest what you can afford to lose."

She nodded. "I was going to talk to you. I would like to start off small, maybe ten thousand pounds. What do you think?"

I coughed, choking on my disbelief. "Ten thousand... shit, how about one thousand?"

She sighed deeply. "You don't have any faith in me at all, do you?"

"Look at it from my perspective. Today is the first time I have heard any of this and now you want to put a third of our savings at risk."

She turned back to the screen. "Okay, fair enough. Let me show you how I have been doing."

I leaned over and she led me through her make believe account. She had indeed been doing well. In her little make-believe world she had turned ten million into nearly twenty mill.

I was impressed, but nervous. "I would prefer you start with a thousand. Turn that into twelve hundred. When that happens we will talk again."

She smirked. "Is that a challenge?"

With a snigger, I answered nervously. "Yeah, I suppose it is."

"Done," she snapped. "I will transfer one thousand tonight. I will get Tony to set up a real account for me."

That was Rose's introduction into the world of high finance and the stock market. Every night she was wrapped up in building her portfolio. I didn't know much about it, but she took such deep pride in how well she was doing, it became her passion.

Our biggest problem was Rose wanted her friendship with Tony and Claire to be an inclusive thing. Our lives were filled with invitations to dinner parties and charity balls at their house. I refused to go. I tried to reaffirm how I considered him to be at the root of all our problems. She thought I was just being petty. That created a rift between us.

I threw myself even deeper into work. Not only that, but salvaging usable materials from work and storing them at my friends property. Within two months, I had stock piled enough material to actually build something.

Mark and I became great friends, more than just colleagues. We, surprisingly, shared many interests. It was during one of our many heart-to-heart chats that we delved into my dreams of building a house. He quickly whipped out his pencil and started to sketch some of my ideas. We made lists of what was required, developed property requirements.

With the development of the list came a search plan. I wanted a rural property, not a residential one. I wanted to be close enough to town to allow an easy commute, but far enough out that we could escape the problems and high costs of a nice suburb.

Rose and I started talking about properties. I explained my dream. Funny, when I talked to Mark he was so supportive. Rose, on the other hand, seemed to like the idea of something rural but she wanted an already established property. She shook her head derisively when I outlined my plans to build something.

She also threw in a comment that Tony advised against building. He suggested we would be better off buying something cheap in a nice area and renovating. That way we would at least be on the property ladder. He actually started sending her some property lists. Realtor names, people he was friends with. It pissed me off that she put such high value on his opinions, but swept aside my dreams.

That created another level of tension between us. She didn't understand how she disrespected me. Her take on it was: it's silly to ignore advice from somebody with experience and knowledge. She started to show me properties around local suburbs. Look at this one, or isn't this one nice.

I, of course, found fault with all of them. It certainly didn't fit with my dream.

Rose hated my continual refusal to go to dinner parties at Tony's. It came to a head when their 25th wedding anniversary arrived. Tony had organised a huge party.

The invitation appeared in our mail. Rose threw it on the table before dinner one night. Not knowing what it was, I opened it. As I read it she stated rather loudly. "I want to go."

Looking her in the eye, I replied, "Then go. I won't stop you."

"Eddie, I want us to go as a couple. Please, don't turn this into a fight."

Her impassioned plea got to me and after much discussion, read arguing, I gave in and agreed to go.

That meant shopping for a gift, a new dress, shoes, the whole works.

Arriving at the party was mind-blowing. He certainly spared no expense. Spread across the back of their lawn was an enormous marquee. It was bloody huge. There were lights everywhere, caterers and a band. When we arrived, the place was already full to overflowing with people. The driveway looked like a prestigious car sales yard. There were makes of every expensive car known to mankind.

We were met at the door by security, who escorted us around the back. When Claire saw us arrive she ran over and wrapped Rose in a tight embrace. When they unfolded from their embrace, Claire turned to me. "Hello, Edwin."

I responded with a curt. "Hello."

We had been not exactly at war, but things had been cold between us, I did my best to ignore her. That had created a big divide between us. This was as cordial as we had been for sometime.

She grabbed Rose's hand and led us through to the marquee. The crowd was huge. Tony spotted our arrival and walked over. He and Rose fell into a tight embrace and a kiss. Nothing sexual, just a light peck.

After they finished, he stretched out his hand. "Hello, Edwin. Nice to see you again." I wanted to ignore it, but that was obviously going to create a scene. I shook his hand. "Thanks, Anthony."

We moved inside and Claire led Rose off to mingle with her friends. That left Tony and I standing together. He glanced at me as silence surrounded us like a cloak. He soon got sick of it and disappeared to talk to his friends.

I wandered around aimlessly. Most of the men were wearing tuxedos, the women in flowing formal gowns.

I spotted Carter in a group talking. The moment he spotted me he turned away. That bridge obviously burnt.

I found one guy who looked untidy, standing by himself. He looked as uncomfortable as I did. I wandered over and said hello. Turns out he was a local farmer.

He was a nice bloke and we easily fell into conversation. He talked about his farm, which was pleasant. He had a broad Brummy accent. Very working class. No snobby raised nose there. He walked me over and introduced me to his wife Beth.

As we talked I explained what I did for a living and he nodded along. Somehow we ended up talking about my dream to build my own house, and I was searching for something rural. He gave me a frown. "Are you serious, laddie?"

"Yes, that's my dream."

He leaned in a little closer as we both walked to the bar for fresh beers. "Come and see me tomorrow. I just might have something that would interest you."

I copied down his number and address.

Just then, Rose came bustling up, "Where the hell have you been?"

"Talking to Gordon here," I said.

He stuck out his hand and said, "Hello young lady."

Rose smiled sweetly at him before grabbing my hand and dragging me away. "Come on, I want to introduce you to some people," she said. The 'people' all turned out to be high-rolling friends of Tony's who Rose was trying to impress. I didn't really fit in. That was obvious right from the outset. "What do you do, Edwin?"

"Engineering."

"Do you own your own company?"

"Na, just working for a friend."

There was the inevitable silence until the group picked up where they left off. Rose tried to get me to join in, but it was too difficult. They were talking stocks, shares, sales and stuff that went over my head. I stood on the outer for a few minutes until I got sick of being an extra.

I patted Rose on the arm to get her attention. "I'm going to the bar. Do you want something?"

She sighed. "Champagne, please."

I stayed over at the bar for a while. A couple of young guys turned up. One was from the band. We slipped into a conversation. Music and the industry. It was entertaining, and at least he wasn't a snooty prick."

Rose turned up by my side looking peeved. "What happened to my champagne?"

"Sorry, I got talking to Jake."

She ordered her drink and Jake wandered away to get ready for their set.

"Eddie, why did you walk away. I was hoping you might try to at least join in."

"Rose, you and I both know I don't fit in here."

"Babe, you could if you tried. There are several guys here from Trimax. Why don't you try to get to know them?"

"Yeah, if we bump into them, at least we would share something in common."

She wandered off and I was left wandering around by myself.

Claire must have felt sorry for me. She wandered over to stand beside me. "Wonderful party isn't it, Edwin?"

"Yeah, very cool."

Sipping her champagne, she sighed. "Why are you so sad? You look like a lost puppy, like you don't have a friend in the world."

"I am a fish out of water here."

"Why don't you go over and talk to Tony. He would love to chat."

"I don't think he is any more interested in talking to me, than I am in talking to him," I said.

"Why are you so antagonistic and belligerent towards him?"

"Because he is meddling in my marriage. Bloody Rose is infatuated with him."

"That's a bit of an exaggeration. I think she appreciates the fact he is prepared to help her."

"Let's not bullshit each other, Claire. She has the hots for him and him for her. He is only helping so he can get her into bed."

"Edwin, that is a particularly loathsome accusation. He is trying to help out a friend."

I took a gulp of my beer. "You don't have to try and soft sell me, Claire. It's obvious to anybody who sees them together. Look at them over there, he can't keep his bloody hands off her."

"Edwin, there is nothing going on. I think there is an obvious connection, but I know my husband very well and he has never cheated or induced anybody into cheating in his life. We all know your stance. You made that abundantly clear at the party."

"Oh, he is far sneakier than you think. He wedged himself between Rose and myself by pretending to do me a big favour. Getting me a job with his mate. The reason? Just so he could prove to her how important he is, how influential. No guesses what the price would be."

She pulled on my arm twisting me to look into her eyes. "Is that why you turned down the job with Carter?"

I nodded. "Absolutely. I do not want to ever owe that man anything."

"Good Lord, Edwin. That is a repulsive thing to say. He has done nothing to make you think that. He has been nothing but helpful to Rose, and to you, if you had been clever enough to see it."

I finished my beer and announced, "I'm going to the bar."

Standing with my back to the crowd, I ordered another beer. As I stood there trying to clear my mind Claire appeared beside me again. "Edwin, can we talk?"

We walked over to a quiet corner. "Edwin, you have to let this anger towards the world go. You are endangering your marriage. Rose and I have become very dear friends, and as friends do we talk."

She rubbed my arm vigorously as she said. "Edwin, she is running out of patience waiting for you to get past this."

"Get past what?"

"All these insecurities, the lack of trust, the suspicion. You are so antagonistic towards Tony. They have formed a strong bond and you having this resentment, and rancour towards him is going to destroy your relationship."

"Claire, can't you see that it is him interfering in my life that is driving the wedge between us?"

"You can be an insufferable bugger, Edwin. I am trying to help."

The band started up and Claire wandered away shaking her head. It pissed me off that nobody could see my perspective.

I watched as people started to filter onto the dance floor. Soon the place was swelled with dancers swishing their way around the makeshift dance floor.

I wandered outside to get a little fresh air. I heard some giggling and laughter from around the corner of the marquee away from where the porter loos were situated. I was shocked to see Rose clustered together tightly with Tony, Carter and another couple of guys.

They were very tightly huddled together, and as they leaned in closer, the acrid aroma of marijuana wafted across. They were smoking pot. I watched as the blunt was passed from hand to hand.

Bloody hell. I stood spying on them for a few minutes before they broke up and returned inside.

As I walked over to the bar, I felt arms wrap around my waist. I turned and Rose gave me a sloppy kiss. "Hey, stranger, where have you been?"

I sniggered, "More importantly, where have you been?"

She giggled in a girlish tone. "Outside."

1...678910...14