The Unwanted Swap Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I freaked out when I saw the prices, it was going to max out my credit card, but I chose a quartz counter top for the island and benches.

Finished, they looked spectacular.

Claire was getting a bit antsy, it had been a month since I last let her look inside. I wanted it to be a finished product before she saw it. I was incredibly proud of my work and seeing it finished even without appliance filled me with pride.

Our relationship had become a little strained. She wanted to invite Rose out for a look, and I said no. She begged me to talk to her, but I just didn't feel like I was in the right mental condition to do that. She was sneaky, though, on each of her nightly visits she managed to mention Rose's name at every opportunity.

She did shock me. It was a warm evening and I had cooked some chicken pieces and made a salad. I was sitting in my camp chair when Claire turned up. The sun was sitting on the horizon but still warm. I was tucking in when Claire turned up and pulled up the other camp chair and sat beside me. I had already pulled out her bottle of wine. She poured herself a glass. We started off as always, talking about the cottage and what I had been doing.

As we got into it I asked what she had been up to.

"Well, today there was a bit of a welcome onboard ceremony down at Tony's office. They have a new starter."

With raised eyebrows I replied, "Sounds intriguing."

She smiled with an anxious warble she said, "Yes, they have a new head of HR."

The way she was circling around the fringes irked me. "Out with it, Claire. You obviously have something you want to say."

"It's Rose."

Nodding with a resigned sigh I said, "Oh, I see. Oh well, she should be a good fit for him. They can travel off together. Think of the cost savings for the company. Only one room to pay for."

"Don't be crude. She won't have to travel very often."

There was an awkward little silence before she Gushed. "I told her!"

"Told her what?" I knew the answer and it pissed me off.

"Eddie, I had to. Every day she asks me about you. Have I seen you, what you were doing, where you're staying. It's not fair. Every single day she basically interrogates me. So, yes, I told her."

It pissed me off, but really what did it matter. Who cares if she knew. Maybe it would hurt her more knowing?

"What did she say?"

"At first she was shocked. That turned to anger that you hadn't been honest with her. She was angry that even when you found out she wanted to buy it, you never said anything."

"Oh well, never mind, so sad."

She glared angrily back. "Don't be a snide little shit. It doesn't suit you."

"Sorry, but what do you want me to say? She chose that dipshit Felix. We were talking and I actually thought, perhaps, we could do it. Then at that bloody party she decides to just fuck off with him."

"Eddie, my love, she was lonely. She tried to talk to you. She pleaded with you, god you can't keep pushing somebody away and expecting them to run after you."

"It doesn't matter, Claire. It's over. We have both moved on."

"Like fuck you have." Her vehemence shocked me. I had never heard her swear like that. She gave me a piercing glare.

"I'm sorry, Eddie, but that's just not true. I see the pain in your eyes. Just like I see it in hers. Every time we speak, it is always the first question she asks. Have you heard from Eddie?"

She lifted my plate from my lap and picked away at my salad. "My word, Eddie, you are getting better. This is delicious."

I chuckled cheekily. "Do you want some? I made enough for two."

"No, this is fine for me, thanks."

I got up and went back inside and filled another plate for me. As I sat back down she asked. "So, can I bring her out for a look."

I got the feeling that regardless of my answer this was happening. "Okay, but give me another week."

"Why?"

"Because I need to prepare myself and finish a couple of jobs."

If I needed motivation, the fact she was going to be here drove me on. I worked late into the nights. A couple of days after that it was late. The sun had set and I was tired. I had only a light meal and was stretched out on the bed with a beer. My eyes were just about closed when I heard the dogs yapping.

The caravan door flew open and Claire slipped in. I could see she was upset about something. She grabbed a glass, ripped open the fridge, pulled out the wine and came and sat on the edge of the bed. "Move over, you big oaf."

I moved over, making room. She wriggled back further onto the bed. She poured her glass and drank it in one huge gulp. She put the glass down and wriggled her way back until she was lying beside me, her head resting on my shoulder. She squirmed, nestling closer.

I tightened my grip on her shoulder. "What's the matter?"

She didn't reply, just reached across me and pulled my free hand across her. "Just hold me."

I hugged her tightly. "Come on, tell me."

"Oh, it's nothing. Tony is just being an arse."

"What's he done?"

She turned her head on my shoulder. We were only inches apart. Her moist breath condensed on my cheek. "He can be such a bastard sometimes, nothing special."

She turned her body, her breasts crushed against my side. Her leg lifted and settled over me. "Thank you," she whispered. Our eyes were locked. Little tears formed in the corners.

"What have I done?"

"Nothing, you're just always here when I need to talk, and you never judge."

"Bullshit," I murmured. "I'm always pushing your buttons."

"Maybe, but it's never mean. I know you like me."

"Come on, Claire, what's going on?"

"I think he's cheating on me."

"Rose?"

She sat up quickly and stared down at me with a confused look. "No, why on earth would you say that?"

"Sorry, It's just that she just started working there."

"No, it was Rose who told me."

She nestled back down into my arms and I held her tightly. "I'm sorry. I really am."

Her lips fell against my neck and she kissed the side of my neck sending electric shocks up and down my body. "Claire, please don't do this. Revenge isn't the right reason."

Her little tears settled on my shirt and I felt the damp spot spreading as she sniffled. "Sorry, Eddie, I have always felt something between us. There is a closeness, an intimacy. I feel it and I know you must also feel it."

I nodded softly, my eyes confirming her inquisition. "Yes, I feel it. I always have."

She lay there, her body pressing snugly against me. "Why did you walk away that first night?"

"Claire, you are an incredibly beautiful gorgeous sexy woman. I wanted you more than I have ever wanted anything. I thought, 'Fuck you, Rose. I'll teach you'."

She tittered softly. "Then why?"

"I don't know. It just felt wrong. I was married, and in love with my wife. You're married. Call me old-fashioned, but I wasn't ready for that."

"But you found me attractive?"

"God yes, you're a beautiful woman, but more than that. You are beautiful on the inside, as well. You're right, we share much more than I can explain."

I reached back, lifted my beer up and gulped down a mouthful. She leaned over and poured another glass of wine. We sat up, leaning back against the wall of the caravan. "What should I do, Eddie? What if he is?"

"I don't know. If it was me, I would want to know for real. Not guessing."

"So I should just ask him?"

I nodded. "Yes, is he able to lie to you?"

With a shake of her head, she replied. "No, he has never been able to lie to me. I know him too well. I am just scared."

"I thought you guys had an arrangement. You are both allowed to, you know, fool around. That there were no consequences?"

"We do, and yes we are. This is different. This is him doing it behind my back. If he said he met somebody and wanted to sleep with them, then yes, I would be all right with that."

"But he hasn't said anything to you?"

"No, he is being a bastard. Tonight he got home and told me he was going out. Didn't say where, or why. He just left."

She finished off the bottle of wine and I finished off the beer. The dogs barked outside, missing their owner, and I opened the door to let them inside.

I got another bottle of wine and a couple of beers.

We nestled back down on the bed, had a couple of drinks but we were soon cuddled together. She went to sleep, her head cradled in my arm, our bodies entwined tightly.

I lay back, pulled the blanket over us and tried not to move. Her warmth, her smell, the heat of her body radiating through us both.

It's impossible to sleep late in the caravan. The light streams in. That morning was no different. The shimmering sunlight bathed the bed in bright light, impossible to fight. When I opened my eyes, she was also waking.

Trying to make light of the situation, I jumped up. "Move over sexy. I need to pee, and by the sounds of the whining, the dogs do, as well."

I clambered over her and went outside. The dogs bounded out, beating me to it. As I moved back inside, Claire lay on her side staring at me, her head propped on her elbow. I found a couple of cold sausages that had been in the fridge for too long and threw them out for the dogs.

Rather than going back to bed, I decided to make breakfast. I put some bread in the toaster, pulled out the pan and chucked some bacon in.

She laid there watching. The caravan soon filled with the aroma of bacon and toast. I chucked in some eggs and Claire sighed. "God, Eddie, are you trying to make me fat?"

"Fat and happy." I chuckled.

We moved outside and the sun had risen far enough that it bathed my wooden crate that I used for a table in bright sunlight. I served the food and made us a cuppa. We ate in silence. "Thanks for last night, Eddie. Most men would have taken advantage."

"In that case, most men are idiots. Claire, as much as I would have loved nothing more, it wouldn't be right. If the moment ever eventuates, it has to be right. It would have to be for the right reason, not revenge or drunkenness."

She giggled. "I was drunk, wasn't I?"

"You sure were babe."

"Oh that sounds nice. Tony doesn't call me babe anymore."

"He's a fool, then, because you most certainly are a babe."

As we finished, she asked. "Shall I do the dishes?"

"No, I've got it covered."

"What should I do, Eddie?"

"Talk to him. Give him a chance. There may be an honest explanation."

She grimaced. "I hope so."

"Will you be all right, or would you like me to come with you?"

She laughed loudly, choking on words that wouldn't come out. "You, with me. Oh god yes, that will help."

I chuckled. "The offer's there. I just want to know you're safe. What are you going to tell him about last night?"

"I'm going to tell him we made love all night, and you are the best lover I have ever had."

Now it was my turn to choke.

She sniggered, "Relax. I will tell him the truth."

I nodded with a grin. "Good idea. The truth is a good place to start."

She gave me what started off as a sweet little kiss, but it grew, god it grew quickly, her arms circled around my neck and our tongues danced like lovers. Her hot body pressed against me.

I was sad when she pulled back and I staggered a little, trying to find my balance. "Wow, oh holy shit, Claire. Can we have last night again. I can do better."

"Naughty boy," she scolded as she picked up her hand bag and called to the dogs.

I was left breathless and panting, as I watched her gorgeous arse strut and sway up the driveway.

I packed away the dishes to do later and set about laying the tiles in the bathroom. Again, a skill I had never learned. All my knowledge came from YouTube.

The floor tiles went down easily, A bright glossy white made the space seem somehow bigger. I was missing the final piece of the puzzle in the bathroom. I wanted a big old cast-iron enamel free-standing claw foot bath. Rose loved to soak in the tub, and I wanted this to be special. The bathroom looked out into a little courtyard, a large window providing both a view and light.

This was one room where I had already allowed for overhead windows. The whole room was exposed to the sky. All I needed to finish it off was a bath. I couldn't afford a new one; I wanted an old second-hand one, but they were as scarce as rocking horse shit.

That night Gordy came over, carrying a couple of his new home-brews and we sat down to enjoy what was a wonderful sunset. I told him about my search and he laughed. With a glint in his eye, he said, "Have you ever walked up the back of your property?"

With arched brows, I frowned. "No, never. Been too busy, why?"

"When you get a chance, Laddie, take a stroll up the path by the creek."

"Come on, what's up there?"

"You find out for yourself."

He left not long after, and I decided to take a stroll. The trail to the back of the property led up a slow rise, A small creek wound it's way along the fenceline. With a beer in hand, I followed the trail. About half way up, lying on it's side, was a big old claw-foot bath. It was pretty disgusting, the enamel mostly chipped and gone, but it was solid. And bloody heavy, I found out as I tried to roll it out of the encompassing weeds.

I had a laugh as I walked back; the old coot had known all along. Now I needed to find a way to get it out and taken to a workshop somewhere to get refinished.

I was awakened in the morning by the sound of Gordy on his tractor. Outside my caravan window, he tooted the horn. "Rise and shine, you lazy bastard."

I dragged myself out and gave him a mock snarl. "What the bloody hell are you doing, you lunatic?"

"If you want that bloody bath, get your arse up there."

I pulled on my gumboots and followed him up the trail. Between us, we managed to drag it onto the back of the tractor and we headed back to the cottage. Two hours of elbow grease later, it was truly revealed. It looked great. Now I needed to get it reglazed. After much research I found a car painting outfit that advertised bath finishing as a sideline.

By Tuesday, I had what looked like a brand new bath sitting in prime location.

I was worried; Claire had disappeared, and as much as I wanted to see that she was all right, I also didn't want to poke my nose in where perhaps it wasn't wanted. I tossed up, perhaps just a text message; he wouldn't see that. I pulled out my phone, leaned back relaxing in my trusty camp chair, beer in hand. I wrote a brief note, I was about to hit send when a car came barrelling up my driveway. Claire's Mercedes skidded crazily to a halt, gravel and dirt flying.

I watched as her head fell forward on her hands on the steering wheel. She sat there unmoving. Worried, I rushed over. Flinging the door open, I asked, "Claire, are you all right?"

"The fucking bastard, the dirty rotten fucking bastard. He was cheating on me the whole time. Our whole marriage was a fucking sham. The dirty fucking cheating bastard."