All Comments on 'The Waiting Game'

by MattblackUK

Sort by:
  • 49 Comments
saddletramp1956saddletramp1956over 4 years ago
Didn't expect that...

But I enjoyed it immensely. Thanks!

Bebop3Bebop3over 4 years ago

Well, that wasn't where I expected that story to go. Took a left turn into creepy land. I can't imagine many things more terrifying than an eternity of sentience without connection or mobility.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Dark, violent story

There seems to be a lot of murder and killing lately in the loving wives section. I've never thought that killing someone for the crime of infidelity was either smart or clever. I understand the "passion of the moment" thing, but for a fictional story, just killing someone isn't very entertaining and seems like lazy writing. This story ends without any consequences. One swing from a lamp might have broken an arm that was raised in defense, but after that I don't see him not kicking the crap out of his wife, even with one arm. But that's just my thinking. I didn't like the killing and I didn't like the unfinished story.

1 star

Huedogg2Huedogg2over 4 years ago
wow, you kill the husband for cheating

and you kill the husband when the wife cheats. Are you sure your name is Matt and not Matty?

KalimaxosKalimaxosover 4 years ago
I kept expecting her to see the evil eye

Shades of Edgar Allen Poe

clarkgarbleclarkgarbleover 4 years ago
fun

Til table lamp do us part!

MattblackUKMattblackUKover 4 years agoAuthor
This story is part of the 750 word challenge

It seems to have accidentally gone live early. Oh, well.

MightyHornyMightyHornyover 4 years ago
Hey - if you live by the sword...

... You may die by the brass table lamp.

It will always surprise me that cheaters would think that their own houses are the best places to have their affairs. What does such idiots think no-tell-motels were invented for?

'Seems like that marriage was on its way out, anyway - obviously, jerkoff was already stepping out, but it didn't seems like his missus waited too long to 'mourn' his 'disappearance' before starting to date someone else. You kinda have to feel sorry for the fellow professor who's going out with her, though - no telling how such a woman would react if he leaves the seat of the toilet up!

In any case... once again, the 750 words gave us yet another underwhelming story with thoroughly unlikable characters, that we ultimately know very little about, and no real resolution to speak of. A whole lot of words were wasted on pointless commentaries about computer languages and whatnot, when it could have been used instead to tell us what exactly was this relationship was like before the big 'boredom'. So much is left off the table, so many plotholes opened, with no way of getting resolution for any of it... simply because the author wanted to 'challenge' himself.

Bottom line: it's an incomplete story. As is most '750 words' tales.

God, I hate this challenge.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightover 4 years ago
Like Bebop3, I am left seeking words for this.

What happened to that kindly, gentle Brit guy we all knew and loved?

MattblackUKMattblackUKover 4 years agoAuthor
I's an easy mistake to make but *I* didn't kill the husband

The fictional wife in this fictional story killed the fictional husband.

And she accidentally killed him, in point of fact.

Agatha Christie murdered dozens of people in her novels. But in real life? Not so many.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Yo mon, tha spliff musta have been‘a strong ona. Wicked mon, wicked.

Now fresh air yo head and clean yo shit, make new and go back to tha old styla we know from ya, mon

john_sixfooterjohn_sixfooterover 4 years ago
Dang

Very different!

Simple, elegant, brutal.

I'm vexed about your perspective shift. You make it work but barely. That's a dangerous game to use too frequently. Well done here.

vickitvohiovickitvohioover 4 years ago
i admit when when I'm wrong

yes, I'll admit when I'm wrong. I shouldn't have said to you, "go back to writing your stories instead of commenting on others" lol Was this story my punishment? Seriously, murder porn is never enjoyable even in the flash form.

Schwanze1Schwanze1over 4 years ago
Sooo

was there a point to this story? Good set up. Could have headed a lot of different ways and been something.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Epilogue: Nancy had won a prestigious award

and her family had come to the states for the ceremony and to visit. As they were all sitting around the living room enjoying some celebratory champagne whilst catching up on the past few years her younger sister was idly stroking this heavy antique brass lamp that she somehow found compelling.

"Nancy? Have you ever heard any more about your hubby? I know having him suddenly disappear without a trace must have been devastating."

"No, no, I never did" Nancy replied. "The police have given up looking and the P.I. I hired found nothing as well. I can't believe he just up and left, but since his body has never been found I'm at a loss. I guess that's why I've never thought about selling this place. I mean if he is out wandering about and ever comes to his senses I want it to be easy for him to find me, and in the meantime I can sometimes feel his presence and I find it comforting to think he may be somewhere nearby.

thecarolinadreamerthecarolinadreamerover 4 years ago

DIFFERENT

People say they want something different,; you gave them different.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Just wondering...

Have you ever seen the quantity of remains from a cremation? To fit the remains of two people into the Moorish lamp, it would have to be a pretty big lamp! LOL!

Thanks for your shorty, though! Always enjoyable.

PostScriptor

maninconnmaninconnover 4 years ago
And now for something completely different!

This was definitely different. You go Matt.

johnadpjohnadpabout 4 years ago
Scratching My Head

I honestly don't know what to make of this story. I remember a screenwriting class I took in college and the professor mentioned that every single thing you put in the story should be moving the story forward.

The set up was interesting, but the ending had nothing to do with it. Could have been the same set up about the wife getting that job, his job, the bit about Python, dropbox and google, and then the line the wife got hit by a bus and died. Why so much detail about something that had nothing to do with what was about to come?

Not scoring it because I'm still scratching my head, and I can't make it out. I liked the first half of the story, and I liked the second half of the story. I just didn't like them together.

MichaelFitzgeraldMichaelFitzgeraldabout 4 years ago

Don’t you hate it when your wife beats you to death and stuffs you in a fancy pot? The underplayed way in which hubby tells his tale struck me as funny. He comes off as bemused and “who would have thought.” At least he won’t be lonely.

deadonedeadoneabout 4 years ago

Why the repost?

This story was posted only a few weeks ago.

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightabout 4 years ago
At least the guy will finally see the light

Even if it is just a bulb.

ReedRichardsReedRichardsabout 4 years ago
Mighty Horny is right:

Why do people cheat in their own houses?

Yeah, the ‘he came home early’ is an easy method of catching the cheaters, but it’s been really overused lately.

If you fuck around in your own house, you leave evidence, from obviously fucked on sheets to rooms that smell of sex. And I know of one instance, in real life, where this nurse left a pair of footie socks, not something blatant like panties, but the wife recognized that they weren’t hers. Heck, I need to use that someday in a story!

gordo12gordo12about 4 years ago

Yep, definitely different. The BTBastard crowd will love you. Oh, I forgot. All the guys shiver and run when it's Burn The Bastard. Now if you'd done that to a woman 10* story for sure. But I can only give you 5* and a pat on the back. LOL!

silentsoundsilentsoundabout 4 years ago
Gadzooks!

Bummer! Who knew she was a psychopath?

deadonedeadoneabout 4 years ago
@ReedRichards

LOL - how about finding a "Don't Get Caught" cleanup checklist on her/his phone?

How about a "how to frame list" in order to cast public blame on the other spouse? Yes there have been numous stories where one spouse has been tricked by fake photos, but here the spouse fakes them in order to gain public favor or leverage if not released.

ShadowRosieShadowRosieabout 4 years ago
When does the game start?

Still waiting? Yeah, it's like that.

This story just started up and stopped. Nothing of interest happened, your 750 words got posted.

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionabout 4 years ago
Violent end to cyber sex leading to adultery at home

Certainly an interesting finish with a ghost waiting for eternal imprisonment in company with a witless witness, perhaps leading to cinder sex? 4* for entertainment value.

AlinaXAlinaXabout 4 years ago

try:

cheat(target=bimbo)

except (Wife):

cremation++

26thNC26thNCabout 4 years ago

Better suited for Halloween, but still a good dark tale.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
This was just stupid

Cheaters be damned but this was weak sauce

cyferxcyferxabout 4 years ago
Reposted?

Read this before. Did you repost it? Is it 750 words? Because it seems overly clipped and a little pointless. Why all that detail about moving and her getting this job and those specifics when she was just going to kill him outright in the opening scene? 2*

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightabout 4 years ago

I sure hope Matt is going to write another story for the March 17th invitational! Some damn good writers, plus Stev2244 and I, will be posting tales of adventure, wonder and woe on that date. Plan on having lots of green beer, corned beef, cabbage and your favorite electronic device available to truly enjoy the day. Prepare to hear the lamentations of the women and cucks as this event will be by invitation only, The good news is, it will be by invitation only. No posers, prestidigitators, pretenders, whiners, wieners, or wimps need apply. I am excited already and it is over a month away! Stay tuned for more information!

MattblackUKMattblackUKabout 4 years agoAuthor
cyferx, this is a part of the 750 word challenge

That's why it was only 750 words.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Bullshit

Bullshit, you’re much better than this.

tkh3nkey2110tkh3nkey2110about 4 years ago
Really no ending

'Nuff said.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsabout 4 years ago
I feel sorry for the new guy.

I don't justify her cheating, but she does sound rather self-involved. He'd better not cheat.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Out of 750 words....

Setting aside all of the clunky, pandering sentimentality of this nonsense story: WHY invest nearly 150 of (i.e., a third!) of 750 words on some boring masterbatory side note about writing in Python (and about Python’s origins and inventor too wtf)? Critical editing is a skill worth mastering. 2 Stars for effort.

robroy93robroy93about 4 years ago
Run

His side chick needs to run far away. But his bimbo might ease his time in the lamp.

blackrandl1958blackrandl1958about 4 years ago
Anyone ready for stories?

Matt will post another story on March 17 for the "Highway Song" writing event. Featuring travel/adventure stories, there will be productions from such writers as Qhml1, BurntRedstone, Todd172, JoeDreamer, Amyyum, NoraFares, Girlinthemoon, CherylTerra, DTIverson, Lost Boy, Laptopwriter, Androgynousother, Andyhm, BarryJames, Just Plain Bob, Markelly, PapaToad, Eclare, Harddaysknight, Postscriptor, Hooked1957, SleeperyJim and many others.

If you like adventure, romance, action and road-trips, you will enjoy these stories by some of the best authors around. Hope you tune in on St. Patrick's Day for our annual event. Green beer will be served on the premises. Randi.

ForensicFossilForensicFossilabout 4 years ago

"Neoscience"? Did you mean "Neuroscience"? This little error took me out of the story right at the start.

MattblackUKMattblackUKabout 4 years agoAuthor
No, ForensicFossil, I meant exactly what I said. Neoscience, not neuroscience.

It was a term I invented for the story, however, it transpires that neoscience is, after all, a real thing.

rodryder44rodryder44about 4 years ago
Unscientific ending

Well, was I surprised with is story. I swear I spotted Alfred Hitchcock lurking in between the lines. Five stars

26thNC26thNCover 2 years ago

No one has a sense of humor anymore.

skruff101skruff101over 1 year ago

There you go a proper BTB story.

Starwolf1961Starwolf1961over 1 year ago

Cold...that's better than cool.

Medussa55Medussa559 months ago

Well that was short. Nice to see a cheating husband get what's coming for a change. Does the heaviness of the lamp imply that this is not her first time?

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userMattblackUK@MattblackUK
Writer for over 30 years. Hack journalist, decided to try writing for Literotica, too. And still having fun here 10+ years later