The Ward Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I do not mock you, Lady Amelie. I admire you," he murmured, his eyes on the lace at her bodice. "I find your initiative honourable, considering you are under no threat. I will make you an offer."

"If you clear Sage from the list-" she began uneasily, sensing the balance of power tipping precariously the wrong direction. Disliking their physical closeness, she abruptly stood and instantly regretted it when Stephan stood with her, completely shadowing her under his frame.

"Sage's name will be erased from the list," he smiled. "Or perhaps I will cancel the event altogether." Stephan liked the way she avoided looking at him, gazing angrily at his wide chest. "You will show me you are earnest before then. And our arrangement will continue thereafter. Do you consent?"

"A-Arrangement?" Lucille breathed with relief. "Of course. Tell me your price, and I'll see to it immediately-"

"Oh, no, my Lady," Stephan softly chided. "My offer is not of the monetary nature."

Lucille's jaw tensed at his tone. "I do not take your meaning. You said an arrangement ongoing-"

"Much like your prior arrangement with Lord Edmund Bard."

With an effort, Lucille managed not to explode with outrage. "You cannot be serious," she said coldly. "I may be unattached but I am still noble and entitled to your respect and servitude as stated by your pledge to the Guard-"

"Yes, yes, you are, of course," Stephan coolly reassured her. "But you are also requesting that I alter official Guard business for your personal gain. Matters of life and death." He shrugged. "Such affairs call for a higher price."

"I have heard that you are partial to monetary bribes," Lucille curtly responded. "I do not see why I should be excluded from such an agreement."

Stephan shrugged. "Not many living are privy to that rumour. Now, I wonder who told you?"

"I cannot recall," Lucille snarled, feeling cornered.

"My query was rhetorical. You are not being very transparent with me, my Lady," Stephan said quietly, his easy tone slightly accusatory. "But let me be more candid."

Lucille gasped with alarm when Stephan pinched her chin to direct her gaze upward. Shocked that he dared touch her, she jerked her face free and glared at him.

"Stephan," she cautioned through her teeth, wondering if he could hear her heart thudding. "If you respected me in the slightest-!"

"I do," he quietly interjected. "I am sorry if my conditions offend you, my Lady, but that is what they are, and my mind will not change."

"But you accepted bribes from the Stiles!" Lucille argued indignantly, mortified that she was reduced to haggling.

"I enjoyed accepting what I wanted from them," Stephan said frankly, his eyes roaming her face and fixing on her mouth. "And I will only accept what I want from you. I do not need money and I do not want yours, or Lord Bards."

Lucille could not believe her ill-luck. "At least know the sum, as I am rich enough to-"

"No more parley, Lady Amelie," Stephan smiled at her flustered dismay. "The Stiles' personal endeavours amused me, and I was happy to protect them for reward. I would watch Lord Bard's blood spill before I accept money from him. As for you..." his smile widened to a sardonic grin and Lucille's heart flipped with dread.

"Suffice to say I would never have approached you with these terms. But you have come to me and I will not pretend to be displeased by the circumstance. We both have something which the other wants. All I need to know is if you will consent to deliver."

"Well, I will not," Lucille flatly answered. There was a limit to how far she would go to save others from misfortune. Though it was not her responsibility, the injustice of Stephan's scheme infuriated her. "I am vastly disappointed that our Governor ever considered you worthy of the uniform and title you bear."

Stephan tilted his head searchingly. "You will not?" he asked lightly. Ignoring her jibe about his position, he reached for the list curled on the desk. "You have never seen a list of condemned before, have you?"

"I've not had reason to," Lucille snapped impatiently, collecting her gloves from the table. "And I've no interest to re-examine yours. I will not thank you for wasting my time, Sir. I will see myself out."

Stephan abruptly unrolled the paper and held it straight. "Look closer, my lady."

Lucille glared up at him, then reluctantly considered the list.

"The clause at the end," Stephan directed her.

The rage in Lucille's eyes vanished to fear. "What do you mean by this?"

Stephan turned the paper to read the clause aloud. "Where interrogation yields further suspects, or where deemed necessary, the Guard claims authority to confirm the arrest of any persons deemed connected by any association; be it business, marriage, relation by blood..."

"No." Lucille numbly shook her head. "You think just because Edmund's fiancé is implicated..."

"...Only to be pardoned by express intervention of the King," Stephan finished.

"This is about Edmund," Lucille said slowly. "All of it."

Satisfied, Stephan merely tossed the list back to the table.

"This is preposterous," Lucille spluttered. "You wouldn't dare."

Stephan raised his eyebrows with calm confidence. "It is very difficult to touch an aristocrat, but you are not...untouchable." Again, his eyes roamed her figure. "I very much want Lord Bard in the ground, my Lady. But I am curious to know if you love him enough to save his life."

"You want to amuse yourself at my expense in an utterly revolting manner," Lucille accused.

"No, my lady."

"You want-!"

"I want you." Stephan spoke with a quiet conviction that Lucille found very alarming. "To put it simply, I would trade one desire for a better one. Lord Bard would have nothing to fear from me if you are in my bed."

"You are sickening!" Lucille scowled with disgust. "A sorry excuse for a man."

"I would save your pity for Lord Bard," Stephan sighed mockingly.

"Think this through, Stephan," Lucille entreated, feeling faint. "I am sure with your position and salary you will not have difficulty finding female company-"

"I do not pay for prostitutes and I do not want you for your social standing," Stephan smoothly explained. "I am not surprised nor offended that you were unaware of my existence until I recently approached you on horseback. I have watched you from afar for many years."

"What, between torturing and raping prisoners?" Lucille sneered. "I'm surprised you have any time to spare."

"Aye, my lady." Considering her point, Stephan threw back his head and laughed. "It would be wise to have a man like myself in your debt."

"In...your...!" Lucille was tempted to cry earlier, but now she was extremely angry. "You think I would be grateful for your offer to sully me?"

Still smiling, Stephan shook his head. "Though I have greatly enjoyed this conversation, I have made my position clear and the time has come for your answer. Will you give yourself to me, or shall I see you to your carriage?"

Stephan patiently waited as Lucille opened and closed her mouth, clearly struggling to compose another offer he might accept, eventually realising there was nothing.

Stephan became aware he was holding his breath, releasing it in a satisfied exhale when Lucille bitterly nodded, eyes shining with angry tears she was too proud to let fall.

"I want you to cancel the entire event," she asserted, managing to keep her voice level. "No arrests."

"That, my lady, is certainly within my power." Stephan lowered his head to breathe the floral scent of her hair. "And until you find a man worthy of a marital alliance, you will be mine, with my promise I will not tarnish your good name," he specified, his scathing tone revealing a deep-seated envy of a class of persons he could never belong.

"You're despicable!" she spat.

"And you are welcome to walk out of this room and never see me again. I will not stop you," Stephan smirked down at her, his eyes glowing triumphantly when she remained.

Though her acceptance was clear, Lucille couldn't bring herself to voice it. She stared resolutely ahead with her chin raised, unable to stop herself flinching when Stephan's fingertips trailed up the back of her neck and through her soft hair, gently angling her face to meet his. Stephan stared a moment, taking in the beauty of her deep brown eyes, wary with a frightened anticipation she would never admit.

"You predict I will be rough with you?" he murmured, slowly removing the ties and pins holding her hairstyle in place.

"You are not known for your finesse," she said low, her tone cutting even though her wavy long hair began to fall about her shoulders, the small roses tumbling down her dress to the ground, symbolic of the dignity she was to lose.

"Perhaps." Stephan's laugh ran deep through his chest, his mirth rarely genuine. "I would not be rough with you, Lucille. Not even to hurt Lord Bard." He shivered at the sensation of addressing the lady so personally, without any title between them, as though they were equals. No barriers.

"Lucille," he whispered it again to experience the thrill once more. Bending to kiss her, Stephan closed his eyes and guided her lips open, his tongue sliding forward then back. Drawing back slightly, he grinned against her lovely mouth, unsure whether Lucille realised that she tightly gripped his arms for support.

Lucille whimpered when Stephan abruptly scooped her into his arms and walked from the room, through the adjoining hallway and into a tidy bedroom, kicking the door shut behind him.

Limp with shock, Lucille was gently deposited onto the bed and Stephan smoothly joined her.

Stunned by the unexpected turn of events, Lucille was speechless. A man she'd never noticed before, whom she'd only seen exhibit a cold, callous demeanour, a man with a reputation for great cruelty, was now straddling her with an uncharacteristic warmth in his eyes.

As Stephan hovered, a silver chain normally tucked beneath his uniform slipped free. Lucille stared at the delicate black jewel, unusually familiar and out of place on a commoner. Struck by a sudden realisation, her eyes flew from the piece to Stephan's smug face.

"That is not...yours?" she breathed incredulously.

"Aye, my Lady," Stephan grinned. He offered no further comment, content to observe Lucille's entertaining bewilderment.

"Y-You're noble-blooded?" she choked, the doubtful discovery a welcome distraction from his hard cock rubbing against her thigh. All in all, the man was well-made, but the angularity of his features was unmistakably aristocratic.

Amazed, Lucille's eyes darting from Stephan's intense green eyes, sharp cheekbones, the smooth tone of his skin, finely-curved lips turned down from years of an unpleasant disposition.

At the moment, Stephan's lips were widely smiling. "In part. Impressive, my lady. None before you have ever guessed. I always considered you superior."

"I...I don't understand," she faltered, turning her face from his kisses.

"In summary," he murmured against her neck, "I was born bastard; the result of a most unsavoury affair. The money paid to secure my exiled living was squandered by the drunken farmer who was assigned my guardian. I found my own success with the Guard, but can never claim my heritage." He closed his eyes and took Lucille's earlobe in his mouth.

Lucille stiffened and flinched when his lips closed over that sensitive place, his teeth grazing the silky flesh.

"If I'd lived the life I was entitled," Stephan spoke through his teeth, moving restlessly against her. "I would have courted you, Lucille, without any doubt. I would have given you the honour that Lord Bard will not."

"Flattering as that may be, this is abhorrent," she uttered, her heart racing with terror.

Stephan chuckled. "What I find most abhorrent is that you are here to aid a man who does not love you."

"He cares for me!" Lucille snapped, turning back to glare at him.

"But not in the way you wish," Stephan purred, taking advantage of her reaction to capture her mouth with a kiss.

"Mmfff," Lucille protested the deep intimacy, his tongue in her mouth, but Stephan's hand was firm on her chin.

When he finally drew back, she was panting, nervous sweat dampening the soft hair by her temples. For a long minute he watched her with warm eyes, drinking in the vision. He continued to watch her face, his hand sliding under and up her dress.

Lucille stoically tolerated his touch, swallowing nervously when his fingertips brushed her inner thigh.

"So soft," Stephan eventually murmured, his voice thickening with desire. With his other hand he lightly guided her wrist down between them.

Lucille's eyes widened when her fingers tentatively closed around his thick girth. Still, she said nothing.

Stephan withdrew his hand from beneath her skirts and grinned playfully at her dishevelled hair. "I'll give you a moment to compose yourself," he said, his eyes almost black with lust. "Then I will escort you to your carriage."

"B-B-But..." she stuttered, afraid that her ears deceived her.

Stephan smiled, and gently removed her hand from his pulsing cock. "I merely required proof of your compliance, and I am convinced you will see this through to my satisfaction."

He retreated slowly from the bed, smoothing his black uniform. "It would arouse the suspicion of my colleagues, and your carriage driver, if you were to remain alone with me for much longer. Our next rendezvous will be at my private residence, and unhurried."

When the door closed behind him, Lucille lay frozen, briefly mulling over the awfulness of her situation. A public servant, a commoner, touched her, kissed and lay atop her. And she'd agreed to let him do worse.

The affair with Edmund would be frowned upon, as they were unmarried. But they were of the same class and engaged in a mutual lust. But this...

There was a mirror on a small desk in the corner of the room, and Lucille abruptly left the bed and began to arrange her hair. Methodically taming her long locks into sections, she stared at her face, into her own eyes.

She was beautiful, yes. Still dignified. From a good family with great wealth, she did not want for security. But she had fallen in love with a man who did not return her feelings, and she had not felt the same for any other. Now, despite the good fortune of physical and material assets, she was no better than a street whore. Her prospects were declining with spectacular irony.

But if she abandoned the bargain, other lives would pay, and she could not live with the guilt of declining an opportunity to protect Edmund.

When Lucille emerged from the bedroom, Stephan was perusing various scrolls, his brow pinched with concentration. The roses from her hair had been retrieved from the floor and neatly piled into a circular purple ornament that seemed positioned to stay.

Stephan immediately stood, his eyes raked her figure and he smiled with a small nod that she was presentable.

In silence he walked her from the office, through the corridors to the building exit and to her carriage. The entire time Lucille was terrified that he would taunt her, touch her, or behave in a way to draw the interest of anyone watching them. But he behaved with his normal cold politeness, and handed her into the carriage with all the courtesy to be expected from a lower-class citizen. Once Lucille was settled, Stephan watched her through the window.

"I will send word," he informed, low enough for Lucille to hear, but not the carriage driver. "I am impatient for you, Lucille."

Disliking the flirtation which seemed more a threat, Lucille sullenly edged to the other side of the carriage.

Stephan stepped away from the window and bowed low. "Safe travels, my lady," he said in louder tones, and signalled the driver to move on.

****

Once at her manor, Lucille dismissed her maid and hurried through various hallways to her bed chamber. After abruptly shutting the door, she stood against it with a palm to her forehead, struggling to process her predicament.

Then she approached the wide bed, the recently changed sheets a pretty floral pattern that would normally bring a smile to her face. Instead of falling upon it, she changed her mind at the last moment and sank into a blue satin chair.

Stephan, a powerful public servant who had never come to her attention, surprised her with both a threat to Edmund and the confession of an affection bordering on infatuation. And he'd decided to capitalise on her unrequited love for another man.

"Pig," Lucille muttered, lightly touching her hair. The lengthy dark strands were tidily rearranged but missing the fresh roses. She wondered whether the driver or any of her servants noticed their absence.

One thing was for certain; Edmund could never know her sacrifice. The trap was one she walked right into, and any good to come of the bargain would quickly dissipate if Edmund found out about it.

"My lady?" Someone knocked, interrupting Lucille's fretting.

Once permitted entry, a young maid handed Lucille a letter with a small curtsy. When the door closed, Lucille tore the envelope and hastily spread the sheet. Her dark eyes widened considerably and her heart sank as she read the contents.

"Well, you did not exaggerate your impatience!" she muttered with exasperation, crushing the note in her hand.