The Ward Ch. 09

Story Info
Sage pursues Edmund. Lucille's predicament evolves.
16.1k words
4.81
10k
14

Part 9 of the 10 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 02/10/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Bellie444
Bellie444
1,866 Followers

Warning -- A similar vein to prior chapters, and even longer x

***

Aleksis stood in the darkness, on the fringe of the forest leading to the Bard estate. Even at the late hour there was steady movement across the premises; servants completing tasks, socialising and unloading supplies.

His black, piercing eyes darted to a large corner room on the third level of the residence, brightly candlelit, the curtains drawn wide. Edmund was at his desk, preoccupied. Frowning at papers, his austere expression made him seem older, more hardened.

The sleepless young man was notably unhappy, and Aleksis wondered if Sage had anything to do with it. A confusing half hour passed before Aleksis felt certain she was not on the premises.

Unsettled by the discovery, he concentrated, working to rekindle their transcendent connection. It was with shock that he turned from the estate, staring at the quiet dirt road leading to town.

Frowning heavily, Aleksis looked back to the Bard iron gates once more, to Edmund's severe countenance, then quickly joined the road. His journey was swift, though he occasionally left sight where a carriage or rider passed by.

Once in the city, he drew his cloak tighter, now wary that several of fine folk in town would recognise him from the Bard engagement festivities. It would be nothing short of disastrous to come across his old friend, Frederick. After rudely abandoning his host at the ball, Aleksis wouldn't put it past the tenacious Lord to place signs up about town to locate him.

The streets were busy at all hours, particularly night, when noble folk liked to spend their evenings in a variety of indulgent activities; attending shows, hosting dinner parties, visiting gambling houses and engaging in surreptitious tête-à-têtes.

Aleksis quickly avoided a large carriage of four horses, and took a turn down a quieter side alley. The street he stepped onto was far less crowded with no active businesses. It was particularly unenchanting to view, thereby unlikely to attract many nobles who might wander on foot to admire brighter lighting and impressive architecture.

"Oh!" A lady cried with alarm, almost losing control of her horse as it reared up in a panic.

Alekis jumped back with his palms raised, trying his best to curb any mannerism that might seem predatory to the beast.

The woman was an aristocrat, in a fine blue coat with a large hood concealing her features. When the horse was startled, the hood fell back.

"Good evening, Lady Amelie," Aleksis politely greeted her from against the wall, his hands peacefully behind his back.

"G-Good evening," Lucille stuttered, extremely put out by the loss of her disguise. "I am so sorry, I know we were introduced but I am afraid I...Cleo!" she chastised her mount, which had significantly calmed but was still inclined to retreat the direction they'd come.

"Lord Jaromir," Aleksis smiled. "The fault is mine, my Lady. I'm afraid horses take a keen dislike to me."

"That must be most inconvenient for travel," Lucille remarked, firmly keeping the rebellious horse in check.

"It is very burdensome, but it does force one to the benefits of exercise. I suppose I might be very round otherwise," Aleksis joked.

Lucille laughed, admiring Aleksis' strange beauty; his gleaming blonde hair and flawless face. The compelling black shine of his eyes. "You have not been in town long, I believe?"

"I have not," Aleksis bowed, and Cleo snorted nervously. "My presence here is merely temporary. A nice change of scene before I return home."

"Oh? From where do you come?" Lucille inquired.

"The North," Aleksis answered.

Lucille politely nodded, not particularly curious to delve further into Aleksis' history. She found the unusually attractive young man a pleasing conversationalist, but that was where her interest ended. There was too much on her mind to engage in a social flirtation, and from experience she knew these bantering exchanges could last a good hour.

"Well, I must go. I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay, Lord Jaromir," she said kindly, lightly digging her heel to urge Cleo onwards.

"And I wish you a pleasant evening, my Lady," Aleksis bowed again, noticing Lucille's smile drop at his words before she quickly placed the hood to cover her face.

Aleksis stepped aside to give Lucille ample room to ride by. He turned to look after her, his inquisitive gaze following the young lady, perfectly aware she was on an errand of great secrecy, and not of a pleasant nature. Placing the distinct moment aside for later consideration, he continued his journey to Lord Habern's manor.

***

Thoroughly distraught by her bad luck, Lucille mulled over the incident all the way to Stephan's residence. It was a small mercy that Aleksis was new in town, and unlikely to spread word of their unusual encounter. He did not seem the type to enjoy petty gossip, and possessed a very mature air of wisdom for such a young face. Besides, the death of the Stiles' would be the most diverting topic of discussion for months to come.

This unexpected meeting convinced Lucille that the evening would be nightmarish from start to finish. Departing her manor unaccompanied had been a most trying task. The household naturally knew of her affair with Edmund, but with his recent engagement to Sage, Lucille refused to imply that excuse for her mysterious outing. Her personal maid's dismay earned a sharp word and eventually turned to silent pouting. The butler dared a number of hinting remarks but overall refrained from directly airing his concerns.

When the housekeeper ambushed her at the stable entry to suggest a morning ride as opposed to evening, Lucille irritably advised the older woman in no uncertain terms that she wished to ride alone and might be gone a while.

Once in her saddle and finally convinced the ordeal was over, Lucille's relief was cut short when her carriage driver barred her exit to question whether he should follow behind, should the lady require assistance. It was only a thinly veiled threat to immediately cease his employment that made him reluctantly step aside.

The servants' anxiety for Lucille was touching, but irksome. When her parents died, they watched her grow from girl to woman, disapproved of her affair with Edmund but their loyalty remained strong.

Naturally, it was improper for a young lady to ride unaccompanied at that hour; a Lord would not be badgered about a night journey. But propriety was not the reason behind the pointed interference. Like Edmund, Lucille was a good employer, a bright young woman with a respectable name and ample fortune. They felt their mistress deserved better than whatever new dalliance she chose to recklessly enter.

***

In a white gown with blue satin lace, Sage sat on a small balcony, gazing forlornly into the night.

After refusing to accompany her uncle to a small card party that was almost certainly a match-making affair, she was confined to her quarters. Since claiming to feel unwell, the ruse spoiled any chance she had to venture out even if accompanied by servants. A lady could not plead sickness then gallop into the night.

Even with Habern absent, Sage knew the servants had been instructed to keep her housebound. The servants were polite, but very different to the ones of Edmund's household. More like the Stiles' type, they were rigidly uptight and humourless.

This distinction brought an unhelpful longing for the company of Edmund's old Steward, Joel, leading onto wistful thoughts of Edmund. For a while Sage mulled over her regrettable circumstances, that the world seemed filled with unfair complexities.

Sage suddenly bolted upright, sensing Aleksis. The recognition was like a shimmering vibration trailing across her skin, placing her senses on high alert. Carefully rising from the settee, Sage cast a furtive glance to check her bedroom door was closed, before approaching the balcony edge.

Aleksis smiled up, his eyes appreciative of her beauty and mildly cynical, which Sage knew was attributable to her location. Though speech would be risky, Aleksis was inclined to keep his silence regardless, awaiting Sage's reception.

Sage considered. "You are welcome to enter, Aleksis," she said quietly, and retreated to her bed chamber.

Not bothering to glance behind where she knew Aleksis would quickly ascend the balcony, she swept indoors and neatly sat down as he filled the doorway.

"Are you well, Sage?" he asked tentatively.

"You mean to enquire about my current residence," she said dryly.

Aleksis shrugged, removing his cloak and laying it across a chair. "A second curiosity, but perhaps more curious than the first."

"There's no need for riddles, Aleksis," Sage said irritably. "I am recovered from our tryst in the forest, and I reside here because I cannot be with Edmund."

"I find the latter quite interesting, Sage," Aleksis replied, his face tightening. "You abandon a true love rather quickly, it seems."

"Don't you dare critique my feelings after what you've done!" Sage snapped, shifting angrily in her chair.

Aleksis turned away to compose himself. "I'm sorry," he said grimly, staring at the bedpost. "I'm sorry for everything, Sage." Finally, he looked at her. "I'm not sure how I can make any of this right."

"At least we are in agreement." Sage shot him a hard stare. "What of Simon? Is he alive?"

"He is," Aleksis responded. "He is not particularly in the best of spirits, but it will pass." He sighed and began to slowly pace the room.

Sage followed his movement, the vision of a strong young man, but with something more graceful about him. Unwillingly, she remembered him on top of her, between her legs, licking...

In a huff, Sage abruptly adjusted her pale skirt, drawing Aleksis' attention. He watched her averted face fill with colour.

"May I know your thoughts?" he asked.

"No," Sage said sulkily, then annoyed she'd answered too quickly. With studious concentration she began to unravel the long plait of dark hair, eager to fidget with something, and also to shelter from Aleksis' inquisitive stare.

"Well, I've missed you," he disclosed. "If you are abandoning your engagement, I would ask you to reside with me."

"Habern is my family," Sage replied, concentrating on separating various dark silky strands into neat sections.

Aleksis looked unimpressed. "He is not family," he said, a slight sneer in his voice. "He is a relative. The two are quite distinct."

"And I suppose you are my family?" she retorted.

"Yes. You do not belong here. I am sure you already feel the tightening margins of your familial obligations. I taught you the constraints of society long before you..." He hesitated, then went to sit beside her. "I will not force you to leave with me, Sage."

Sage froze arranging her hair, feeling the effect of his proximity. "I do not love you the same way I love Edmund."

"I can understand," he said heavily, gently taking one of her hands to hold in his own. For a moment he traced her palm, staring at the ceremonial cut that had almost completely healed. "The fault lies with me. I would settle for your love."

"Only love?" Sage asked suspiciously, finally turning to look at him.

"Only love," Aleksis said solemnly, though his eyes glinted wickedly. "Unless you wanted more."

"And what of my condition?"

Aleksis released her hand. "I only know what would happen if I continued my trespass. You made your feelings clear on that matter."

Sage bit her lip, the blue of her eyes darkened with anger. "It was wrong."

"I know," he answered, looking broodingly thoughtful. "I understand. I suppose I acted from fear, and my fears were correct. It's an explanation, not a justification. The ritual cut is well-healed, but not entirely, which indicates our time apart... slowed the process."

Sage stared at him. "Do you mean that if you don't continue with...If you ceased to...to..."

"There is a high chance your mortality will override what I have done," he finished gently. "I have endeavoured to find out more, but the records of my category are limited to accounts of fiction."

"Therefore, I have only to wait, and then..." Sage said slowly, looking hopeful for the first time in a while.

Aleksis shrugged, smiling though his eyes were bitter. "I cannot be sure, but that is a logical conclusion to draw."

Processing the information, Sage drew a deep breath. "I could be with Edmund."

"Potentially."

"What of Simon?" she asked.

Aleksis cast his gaze to the ceiling. "He can never be mortal."

"You'll care for him?" Sage said earnestly, the concern in her face rather offensive. "You won't gorge yourself?"

"Of course, I will care for him!" Aleksis exclaimed, affronted by her dismay. "I may have once nearly consumed him by accident, but-" he broke off when Sage giggled.

"I could not help myself," she laughed, and Aleksis found himself grinning at her amusement, wanting to laugh with her.

Instead, he stood and took her hand. With a graceful bow, he kissed her fingertips and retrieved his travelling cloak.

"I won't ask you to forgive me tonight, Sage," he murmured, fastening his coat. "But I will see you again." Striding to the door, he paused as a thought struck him. "Sage, are you acquainted with Lady Amelie?"

"I can't be sure," Sage answered, her brow pinched with thought. "Why?"

"No reason of consequence," Aleksis shrugged, not wanting to discuss Edmund's history with women. He turned to observe Sage, still seated and watching him. He smiled tenderly, then lightly jumped over the balcony.

***

As instructed, Lucille located the hidden side passage into Stephan's residence, bravely urging Cleo down the long, dark path until she reached a tidy stable. With a nervous glance around, she dismounted, sliding down the horse's side for her feet to land abruptly on the dirt floor.

Lucille noticed a pile of hay and a pail of water for her horse. There were notably no servants, though the area was clearly maintained. It seemed Stephan's promise of discretion was sincere.

With her stomach nervously fluttering, Lucille secured Cleo, stroking his glossy black mane, more to comfort herself than the animal. Sensing his mistress' disquiet, the large horse's head turned to nuzzle her.

Lucille laughed, leaning back to avoid Cleo's affection that might ruin her hair. Though in hindsight, that probably wouldn't matter given the purpose of her trip.

Carefully untying her travel cloak, she draped the garment across a cleaner part of the stall. Lucille's dress was velvet black, to match her temperament, with silver lace hemming and a bodice of satin decorated with tiny clear diamonds.

As Lucille glanced nervously down her body, the horse whinnied for attention.

"I love you too, Cleo," she smiled sadly into her mount's soft brown eyes.

Drawing a deep breath for courage, she turned to make her way to the house, gasping with fright when she found Stephan silently watching from the stable doorway.

The man was as dauntingly tall as she remembered, with obvious physical strength that she prayed would not break her in the bedroom. He was not in the severe Guard uniform, but disarmingly dressed in light brown and white.

There was none of the ridiculous jewellery a noble might wear, but his appearance was certainly worthy of a wealthy household. The clothes lightened his features, notably his eyes, which currently gleamed with warm amusement.

"Hello, Lucille," Stephan smiled, the soft greeting made Lucille shiver with discomfort, particularly the familiarity of her first name. "You are even more beautiful when you laugh."

Irritated to be caught off-guard in a natural moment, Lucille scowled and didn't answer.

"I wasn't entirely certain you would come." He shifted sideways and held out his arm to the open door. "Please join me inside."

Lucille raised her chin and walked briskly up the small steps, past Stephan and into the residence.

"To the end of the hall, on the left," he directed her from behind.

Lucille wordlessly marched along, resisting the urge to look back at him, feeling his gaze burning into the back of her head. From the end of the hall they passed a pleasant lounge room, went through another long corridor lined with paintings and finally reached a large dining room.

The long oak table had been set for two, the food covered by silver trays to retain their warmth.

"What is this, Sir?" Lucille icily questioned, pausing in the doorway.

Stephan calmly walked forward and drew out a chair for her. "Dinner. Come."

Furious, Lucille stiffly followed and allowed him to seat her. "This is unnecessary."

Stephan took his seat and began to lift the tray lids. "You may be of significantly higher social standing, but our basic needs are the same. You are going to dine with me."

"I am not socialising with you!" Lucille sneered, barely able to keep her voice civil.

Stephan paused. "Do you wish to leave?"

Lucille sighed angrily, glaring at the steaming plates of food. "I would prefer you ask questions that I might answer honestly."

Stephan laughed at her wit, then turned serious again. "You are here of your free will, are you not?"

"I am," Lucille snarled.

"You have agreed to an affair with me to preserve the lives of others, correct?"

"Yes!" Lucille snapped, her eyes flashing at the hateful reminder.

"In which case you are going to dine with me," Stephan specified. "I should hate having to repeatedly reiterate the terms of our arrangement, Lucille."

"Ugh!" Lucille groaned, covering her face with her hands. Separating her fingers, she peered through to see Stephan expectantly watching her.

"If you cannot endure this in good faith, it would be best to acknowledge it now and leave my home," he said seriously. "The time for you to renege without damage is running thin."

"I consented for you to take me," Lucille bitterly complained, drawing her hands to her lap. "Not to pretend to enjoy your company."

"Pretending is not required," Stephan clarified. "But you will not challenge me throughout. Have I made myself clear?"

Lucille woodenly nodded, feeling the sting of being reprimanded by her inferior. She'd come this far for an important cause, there was little point jeopardizing it by being a sore loser, tempted as she was to overturn the table contents, leap onto Cleo and gallop home screaming like a madwoman.

"Good." Stephan resumed assembling dinner, politely inquiring Lucille's tastes and making a plate for her.

It was an impressive feast, Lucille resentfully noticed, and she wondered whether Stephan always ate luxuriously or whether he'd merely arranged it for her. It appeared all staff had been dismissed from the premises so they could have a private evening.

Stephan often tested her resolve, drawing her into refined social chatter, almost daring her to refuse conversation with him. Once they finished eating, they remained at the table a while, Stephan poured wine and enjoyed observing Lucille's uncomfortable anticipation.

Despite her admirable show of ease, Stephan knew she was immensely preoccupied by the fact their time at the table was drawing to an end. Clearly, she wanted the event over and done with, at the same time, she was naturally cherishing every moment beforehand.

"For this to continue seamlessly, you will have to keep clothes here, Lucille," he said flippantly, his eyes darting to her pale face. Soon enough, he would see those cheeks fill with colour.

"If you would be so kind to provide your measurements, I can arrange new clothes without your consultation," he continued at her silence. "You can trust me to abide the fashionable tastes of your class. It won't fool your servants, but it will satisfy the curiosity of anyone who matters." He shrugged when her eyes flared. "Or you can assist with the transfer of clothes from your own estate. A trickier endeavour."

Bellie444
Bellie444
1,866 Followers