The Way to a Man's Heart

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She walked forward with wary steps. The scent was stronger with each step, but she was especially cautious with each doorway. None were obviously open. Windows were covered by wooden slats or boards. But rats poked their heads and some chittered from a few grates or small holes in buildings, she offered back her own imitation of their sounds and their noses and ears flexed. Questions were asked and she let out another quick chitter. Sounds of hidden discussions were barely audible. She continued on.

The scent was powerful when she halted a few steps behind the car. She turned her head left then right, then a second time.

The right.

She shuffled forward and approached a doorway. It was open.

"I didn't expect to see you again, you teasing little slut," the voice was deep and gruff.

She took another step and stopped and faced him as he stopped in the doorway. He was big, not much taller than Jaden but certainly broader, Craggier, Plenty of lines on his face.

"I don't tease," she said, "if you deserve it, you get it. There is a boy who will get it tomorrow. He deserves it.. I have new clothes I will allow him to remove as I remove his."

She lifted the bags higher, then set them down. His eyes scrunched as he glared at her. He didn't seem to expect that.

"I didn't have your picture, when that nice Chief asked," she said, "I do now. Besides, you could've taken me anytime. As often you could. But you only took my life. Because you're unable to take the other."

"Your... life...," he said, his face morphed into a confused expression, "you're ah... yeah. I did take it. You are... were... dead. As a doornail. I checked. I'm not stupid."

"I don't know what doornails are," she said and shrugged, "but I guess they're dead things. Like I was, well, not me... another Nadi. I would never call you stupid. But you do have something I want."

His confused expression stayed but he stood straight at that, his slouch gone. His eyes narrowed and he stepped halfway out of the doorway to look both ways along the alley.

"You... want? Yeah, well, it's just you and me, like the last time," he stepped out and stood a step away from her and his left hand slipped behind his back, "and I have this!"

He lunged forward and his left hand pulled a handkerchief from behind his back. His right hand went behind her head and his left hand pressed the cloth against her nose and mouth.

Ah. This was another scent she remembered. It took her a moment, but she recalled its intended use. He couldn't see her smile as she stared at his angry, reddened face, his dark eyes hard. She let her eyes close and let her body go limp and his hand and body kept her upright. He held the cloth for a count of three before he removed the cloth and picked her up under her arms and shuffled through the doorway.

He dropped her in a heap on the floor amid dust and small stones. It was uncomfortable but she fell so her right hand slid to rest just under the loose bottom of her left jeans leg. She'd been happy to find these in her closet, flared bottoms but tight around her cute butt. She'd needed that for what she'd planned. She heard him dash into the alley and return, and was certain it was her bags that hit the floor nearby. He took a couple of steps and grabbed and fumbled at things.

She listened to the chitters from what she knew would be dark corners. When she heard paws scrabble she let out her own, quick chitter. All movement but the man's stopped. Not yet. She hoped her smile wasn't visible.

*****

"Willard Fronard." Malden read from the enlarged and printed image of a driver's license, "thirty-eight, six-two, two forty. Solid hunk'a beef, looks like. Who is this?"

"Wilma's grandson," Artie said, "apparently when young she, uh, got around, or whatever phrase they used. Out of wedlock, a daughter she put up for adoption. Sealed and apparently the girl never pursued to open or contact. But she also died thirty years ago, leaving an eight year old boy, Willar. No father in the picture. 'nother one who never married."

"We certain he's at least connected?"

"To Wilma, yes. But, uh, everything else? In progress. Millie over at County Records found the birth and the baby girl was adopted upstate. No record she ever came back here."

"Willard's address is a hundred miles away," Malden waved the printout.

"Wilma still owns her bungalow, same as the other, no mortgage but utilities get paid online. It's isolated enough for someone to live there part time, double garage on the lot. On that, next point. He's a Fish and Wildlife Agent. We'd considered the perp might be a hunter, good chance they'd know the right kind of country. And."

"And when it'd be crowded... or not."

"Yup. But this is even better. He covers a four hundred mile swath of country, and he was just shifted to this area from upstate eighteen months ago. And... there were a half dozen missing women from the general area he'd been in previously, but different MO. Why no one had connected them."

"All right—," Malden started when Shep stumbled and hit the door jamb.

"Chief," he said, "we got it... uh, think so."

"Got what?"

"The Chevy! Miller's in three, got it in sight. Awaiting orders."

Malden twisted and grabbed the mike from the radio set behind her, flipped a switch. "Car three, this is Malden. Read? Over."

"Car three, Chief, Miller here. Over."

"Where is it? Over."

"Alley, off Twelfth, just west of Broadway. No one apparently in the car, your orders were to not approach if we found the car. Over."

"It's abandoned or he's on foot. Keep it in sight. If you see the suspect, detain him. But we need to close off the area. Got it? Over."

"Roger. Over."

"Shep, yell for the commies and the highway patrol. Artie, get everyone and set up around the perimeter. You, me, two uniforms go in once we're set. No sirens."

"Any change, Miller?" Malden asked as they stood next to his cruiser and spoke softly. Ambrose and Shep stood with them.

"No movement, nothing. Except a few rats," Miller said, "seem to be a fair number near the car."

"Mayor's got plans for this area," Malden said, "'till then, rats lords and masters 'round here. Shep."

"Ma'am."

"Everyone in place?" He spoke softly and she looked at the second cruiser parked out of sight, two more uniforms. Both held pump shotguns with flashlights attached to the bottom of the barrels, as did Miller.

"Yes, ma'am, all sides. Coupl'a highway patrol, but the state guys still on the way."

"Fuck 'em," Malden said, "we're doing this like the OK Corral. Shep, keep the radio link open, follow the three of us few steps back. Miller, bring that shotgun. Everyone got their vest?"

She slapped her elbow against her armor and three "Ma'am"s confirmed the others.

"Miller, point." He led them into the alley, she and Ambrose checked doors on each side as they went. She wanted to hurry, the light was about gone, but getting shot in the back wasn't her preference. Fortunately, there weren't that many doors to the car and the windows were almost all boarded. No sign this Fronard had been military, but Fish and Wildlife guys were all fans of firearms. The only movement had been that all of the rats had apparently decided now was a good time to hide. Good. Disgusting little fuckers.

Miller's right fist rose and they all froze. Malden shuffled to stand just behind him.

"Next door on right is open."

"I see it," she looked over her left shoulder at Ambrose, pointed to the far side of the car. He nodded.

Miller set in a firing stance. Malden flicked her fingers and Artie dashed to a position on the far side of the car, he'd lowered himself to run alongside and popped up with his weapon held across the hood.

"Shit," he said, "ah."

"What?" Malden asked.

"Body. I see feet. Moving... no, shit! Covered with rats!"

Oh... fuck. Malden's mind raced. No, Nadi had reported in last night, better, Jane the spy had. The roommate had been a bit frantic on the call, she'd described Nadi as joyous, giddy even. But all down her front covered in blood, her jeans smeared from what she'd described as wiping her hands. The girl had dismissed it, she'd "tripped over a curb, bashed her nose, she was so happy she'd found everything she needed for the party she didn't pay attention to her feet!" Jane had said the nose was, indeed, worse for wear, but nothing it seemed could dampen her mood. The Valentine's party was going to be "epically awesome!" And there was a boy.

"Can you tell who, Artie?"

"No, but it might be our suspect. But, uh, there's something..."

"Cover us. Miller, let's move."

The pair stopped just short of the door. Malden looked at Ambrose, who mouthed "nothing." She looked at him and held up three fingers. He nodded. She showed it to Miller, he nodded. She popped down a finger and tapped Miller's shoulder with each one, on the third Ambrose bent his elbows to point his handgun skyward and Miller flicked around the door and fingered the flashlight mounted below it on at the same movement. He scanned in an arc as a flood tide of rats abandoned the fallen body and disappeared into hidden spaces.

"Holy fuck, Chief, son of a bitch. It's our guy... I think. Room clear."

Malden waved and Ambrose scuttled around the car to join them at the other side of the door. She nudged Miller and looked in.

"What you said, Miller."

"Shit," Ambrose added as he craned his neck to look into the room, "he looks like, uh, yeah. From that movie, uh, 'Alien.' Yeah, the guy on the dinner table."

Miller let out a sound that was cough, moan and wordless curse all at once as he held his light beam on the figure. Or, what remained of him.

"Rats really did a job," Ambrose said, "but I don't think they did THAT."

"Big fucker," Malden said, "makes sense, the girls were five-two, five-five the tallest, all curvy but thin. So who..."

Shit. Son of a... Jane had said Nadi was obsessed with one item. The blonde had felt abashed about it, she'd kidded Nadi about it since before they'd headed off on Christmas break. And her roommate was taking it VERY seriously.

A heart. A Valentine's Day heart. For a boy...

"Shep," Malden said and he took three steps forward, "update everyone. Suspect down. Get both ends of this alley blocked off. Call the commies and tell 'em we need forensics and a hearse, no one else comes close until forensics gets here."

"Artie," he turned to look at her and stepped to stand close when she gestured, "you're in charge."

"Uh, huh?"

"I've gotta get to the College. I've gotta check on our girl and I want to do it quietly. Keep the State teams here. I'll be back soon as I can."

*****

Malden's hard breathing seemed to echo in the open space as she stopped just inside the Campus Clubhouse. A moving wave of sudden silence traced parallel paths along each side of the room as all eyes were drawn to her. Even the band on the stage to the left had stopped.

She took a second deep breath and adjusted the box under her right arm. Damn. Starting Monday the Force would have a new physical fitness regimen. One that included the Chief.

"Is Nadi... Nadine Lewis here?" She said as she looked across the nearest students. Further into the room, one boy had just handed a second boy a heart. Another bit of occasional tension between the more 'traditional' locals and the College. But, it'd been here almost as long as the town, the early mining and timber magnates hadn't wanted their fiefdom to be thought of as uncouth and uneducated and the College punched above its weight in academics and attracting a varied and often unusual student body. She'd always liked it, felt the town would've sunk into the same dissolution so many others had in this post-industrial era without this counterbalance.

"Is she here?" Malden repeated.

"Oh, uh, yeah, Chief," a young woman in a tight dress said as she pointed toward the far end, "somewhere that way."

"Thanks," she said before she projected her voice, "don't mind me. Go ahead, I guarantee, this is all good news. No one's getting arrested."

A white lie, maybe. Or was it? A ripple of laughter followed her as she walked behind. It wasn't like they didn't haul in the occasional student, but mostly for public drunkenness. She'd always made sure she was known on campus, wanted them to see her as an ally. Not quite as a friend, but a wall of distrust left too much that could happen.

Like an abduction in the dark. The mayor's ears had burned when Malden had apprised him about the dead streetlights.

Then she saw them. The crew.

Jane stood next to a boy, the top of his head just higher than that blonde mane. Malden had had little choice but to learn about their lives, both soccer players, that sport and volleyball the only organized sports the little College emphasized, although it did fiercely encourage students on their personal fitness. Something that most of those present seemed to buy into. Jane's mini offered impressive views of most of those clearly toned thighs, a bit meatier than her lithe form might indicate. But still... Malden's miniskirt days were passed, hell, had never been, but that wouldn't have been the display. Each held a heart, a little pillow and what looked like something ceramic.

Then she found Nadi. The girl held in front of her what looked like a shoe... no, a box boots might've come in. There was a taller brunette and a redhead either side of her, each with their own little trinkets. Their expressions showed concern. Protection. Their second chance at it.

Malden felt a rush of regret that she'd failed at that before. Well. A second chance for all of them. The daughters she'd never had.

Just across from the trio were some guys and a girl, one a cute, tallish young man with naturally curly hair in a brown a number of shades lighter than Nadi's all but black. That kid and Nadi had each stepped just forward of their companions. He held a box much smaller than Nadi's. The girl's nose was indeed swollen and one eye had more color around it than makeup easily hid.

"Nadi," Malden said as she stopped a few paces, the girl smiled broadly at her but had a surprised expression as well, "I know this is a terrible moment, but can I talk to you for a couple of minutes? I promise I won't hold you, but I think... Jaden will be patient."

Nadi looked at him quickly, smiled. Got the name right. Good. Jane had said this had started before Christmas and was back on track. With the 'new' Nadi. Definitely a new version. If the Chief had thought Jane's skirt was short, the colorburst socks this one wore reached halfway up those firm thighs, but that still left plenty of skin before the hem of the skirt. Add in that little slit up the left thigh and it left little doubt about the wearer's decision on underwear. Especially if the wearer moved too quickly. It was a challenger for shortest in the room, but not a certain winner, earlier glances had shown. But it wasn't something the 'old' Nadi would've worn, if the tales these girls had told were accurate.

When she turned, the little blazer did flare and the 'new' Nadi had indeed followed through on her intent to no longer hide those prominent nipples. The second-skin white scoop neck did nothing but highlight them.

"Um, okay," Nadi shrugged, then looked at Jaden, "wait?"

"I have nowhere else I want to go," he said, "not too long, Chief?"

"Got my word. Nadi, bring your box?"

There were what... yeah, study nooks along the far wall. Malden walked alongside Nadi.

"What's up, Chief?"

"In here," she said in a friendly voice. She stopped and gestured for Nadi to enter. The girl went in.

"Have a seat, this'll be quick," she pulled the door closed quietly. Had felt eyes on them, but no one approached. Each room had two chairs and a window, they were likely soundproof enough, but not for privacy. That was fine. The music had started up just as she'd pulled the door closed, so had little worry about prying ears. She set her box on it then leaned her ass onto the built-in shelf at the far wall.

"Nadi, will you show me the heart you have in that box?"

"Um, no one's supposed to see it until the person you give it to."

Malden nodded. "I know the rules, but this is a special case. I know where it's from."

The girl stiffened and gripped the box on her lap more tightly.

"Please. I... if you let me see, I'll make sure I get your noose back to you."

The girl's head rose and her mouth opened. "I was worried you'd forgotten."

"Nope, I keep my word," she said, "I don't think we need it anymore."

She wasn't sure if she should or shouldn't be surprised at Nadi's sudden smile. There was something else in that expression for a split second that almost froze the Chief's blood. The commies would have it in her office Monday morning or heads would roll. She'd solved what they hadn't. No, Malden was almost certain, she hadn't but this snip of a girl had.

"Just hand me the box, I'll put it here," Malden tapped the shelf to her right. Nadi leaned and she accepted the box and set it where she'd indicated. Nadi stayed in the chair. If she was going to wear a skirt like that... without... well, she'd best learn to sit properly. The dark strip was still there. THAT hadn't changed. Jane and the others would look out for her. She crooked a finger and Nadi stood. Malden removed the lid.

"How'd you get it out?" Malden asked softly.

Nadi shrugged. "It's... it, ah, used to be my job."

Malden had run a thousand answers through her mind on the way over. That hadn't been one of them.

"I would smell the 'right' ones, and it was my job to remove their hearts. But I had to cheat a bit," she held her hands up and wiggled her fingers with their blue nails, they'd been constantly that color since they'd found her, "only these, not like I had... But I told you I'd smell him. He was following me yesterday. I had a knife strapped around my ankle, hidden under my jeans."

Malden wasn't sure she wanted knife-wielding students running loose. Nor what else in that story to believe. But she simply nodded for Nadi to continue.

"Followed him into the alley. You know?"

"A patrol saw the car. We found him... uh, we found what the rats hadn't gotten to. But also that."

She pointed to the human heart in Nadi's box. It was lined with plastic.

"How, Nadi? He's a big dude. Bigger than Jaden out there." Malden pointed past the window, glanced, saw that boy's concerned expression and Nadi's girlfriends fighting to stay away.

"He had that chloroform. Tried that again, I remembered the smell but it doesn't affect me now."

Malden again didn't ask the thousand sudden questions. Nodded once more.

"I pretended to pass out, he dragged me into the building. Had all kinds of ropes, whatevers."

"Restraints," Malden said, "now we know how he tied you and the others up."

The girl nodded. "While he wasn't looking and I was on the floor, I got the knife ready. I slashed him across the throat, but not deep enough, we fought. But I had help."

"Help?" It was Malden's turn to stiffen.

"The rats. They're my friends. Hundreds jumped on him and he ran around and tripped. While he was down, I uh." She held two fingers out straight and poked them at the top center of her throat, angled slightly upward then a side to side movement. "You need to use some force, but I learned the trick in my prior job and had made sure I had a long enough knife."

Malden nodded. The 'new' Nadi was a trained assassin. Cool. The rats hadn't gotten deep enough that a postmortem wouldn't confirm at least some of that. Patience. "Your friends?"

"Yup. Used to be my only friends. I still like them, but they know they have to share me now." She pointed at the window.

"Well, they did a hell of a job on the body after you left. Must've been hungry."

"Yeah, they told me. Not enough food close by there anymore, no people, no yummy garbage. I didn't tell 'em they couldn't." She shrugged.