The Whole Nine Yards Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The applause by some audience members was drowned out by boos from the others in the audience, then the applauders rallied hard to cheer more loudly. Mayor Allgood just asked through the noise if there was a motion to go into Executive Session, which soon was made, seconded, and passed. The cheers and jeers did not stop after the Council Members left, but only when Deputy Sheriffs poured into the room...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Teresa and I were sitting in the Sheriff's Office at City Hall. The Sheriff, EMS Chief, and Police Chief had been invited by the Mayor to the Council's Executive Session. Teresa and I were hanging around in case someone needed arresting, and a crowbar beatdown to go with it.

As Teresa looked around the office, she observed that there were pictures on the credenza behind the Sheriff's desk. A few were of his wife or him and his wife, there were a couple of his late son Charlie, including the one where the Governor had awarded Charlie the Governor's Gold Medal. (Author's note: 'Fathers and Sons'.)

She noticed that several were of my kids. There was one of the Sheriff with Carole and Marie, one of him and Carole when they were at the Carlton Fisher crime scene, him showing Carole how to analyze a scene (Author's note: 'Time Flies', Ch. 02.), one of him with Carole and Tasha, and one of him with my three boys, observing the great Lego City and the mighty Troy Transcontinental Railroad.

"He loves your kids." Teresa said. "He loves my kids, and Tanya's kids, and Cindy's kid and kid-to-be, too. But your kids are like his grandkids. And you're like his son."

I nodded. "Yes. And he thinks Carole is a prodigy, which is why he's approving of me bringing her to crime scenes as an Auxiliary Police Detective."

Teresa said "Do any of your other kids have the Vibe like Carole does?"

I said "I think so, though not to the extent she does. Ross is incredibly orderly. His room would pass a military inspection, and his brain works that same orderly way. Jim is somewhat between Ross and Carole... orderly mind, has insights. Ian? I think he may be the closest to me. Very often I'll think about something for the Railroad and Lego City, and he'll suggest the same things... before I say a word about it. He doesn't have Carole's full powers of the mind, but he'd make a great Detective one day, if that's what he chooses to do."

I went on: "Tasha seems to be empathic, like Counselor Troi in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation'. She can sense things... she told me our cat Tiger Mom was pregnant before Tiger Mom showed anything, and Tasha has a rapport with animals and babies, she can do the 'fish trick'... but not to the degree Carole does. Carole sees things we just don't see."

Teresa nodded. "What is the 'fish trick'?"

I said "I'll have to show you sometime. You know those big red goldfish in Asian restaurants?" Teresa nodded, and I said "If one concentrates and projects one mind, the fish can sense it, and they'll respond by swimming towards you, and congregating in a group when they do. Dr. Eckhart showed Carole the process, and she showed Tasha..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

11:30pm. Teresa and I had mapped out the promotions for November, next February, and next May when the Sheriff and the Police and EMS Chiefs came into the office. The Sheriff's florid face and mustaches twitching in anger showed me all I needed to know about how the meeting went.

"We fought off the Romulan hordes trying to take over your office, Sheriff." I said. "How did the Council session go?"

"I'd rather fight off Romulan hordes than deal with the Council." the Sheriff replied. He sat down behind his desk and the others found chairs to sit down in. He also reached into his drawer, took out some medicinal Jack Daniels Rye Whiskey, and poured five shots. We all clinked our shot glasses and downed our medicine.

"I swear to God," growled the Sheriff, "that Kelly Carnes is literally the spawn of Satan. I have rarely seen such hatred in a human being as what I saw from her tonight. And Susan Weston is not much better when it comes to denying Police Officers the awards they deserve."

"Any idea why, Sheriff?" asked Chief Moynahan. "She was a good Officer when she was with the Force. And one doesn't make Captain without being a good Police Officerrrrr."

"Yes, and that's what mystifies me." said Griswold. "I can only guess that she thought the support people didn't get rewarded as well as the front-line Officers and the Detectives. I do know she hates Tanya Muscone with a deep and abiding passion, and doesn't have much for Crowbar after he took Tanya's side against her that time." (Author's note: 'Case of the Paper Trail', Ch. 02.)

"So they had to ram through a 6-5 vote?" I asked.

"No, it was 7-3." said the Sheriff. "Malinda Adams was supportive, and brought Sheila Sorrells along. But the Republicans showed an unnecessary willingness to compromise..."

Part 11 - Double Standard

"Hello and welcome!" said Catrina Pierce at 8:00am, Thursday, July 23d, from the Fox University Sunrise studios. "I'm Catrina Pierce, and with me as always is Meredith Peller. Hi Meredith!"

"Hello Catrina." said Meredith Peller. "Hello everyone. Here's what's in the news. SBI Inspector Britt Maxwell is complaining that State Attorney General Karl Handel is stonewalling an investigation of the son of Hoyt Stenson, the Democrat nominee for Governor."

Catrina: "Hunter Stenson, son of Hoyt Stenson, is accused of lying on Federal and State gun purchase forms, both felony crimes. SBI-OER Inspector Maxwell has confirmed that the State form was incorrectly filled out and then signed, and that it cannot be a mistake but has to be deliberate because Hunter Stenson also made the same false statement on the Federal firearms form, as well."

Meredith: "Lieutenant Governor Sharon Marshall, the Republican nominee for Governor, has demanded that State A.G. Handel prosecute Hunter Stenson for the crime, and also has demanded that Hunter's father Hoyt Stenson stop, and I quote, 'hiding in his basement' and make a public statement about his son's alleged crime. State A.G. Handel made a statement saying that, and I quote, 'White Nationalist Sharon Marshall should go hide in her basement instead of agreeing with Governor Val Jared's racism'. close quote."

Catrina: "Hunter Stenson has been accused in the past of possession and use of drugs, including heroin, cocaine, and fentanyl, and sources tell Fox Eight News that Hunter entered rehab a few years ago in a deal brokered by his father. He also has been investigated by State authorities for influence peddling, arranging access to his father in exchange for financial payments."

Meredith: "State Rep Stenson's office issued a statement denying that his son broke any laws nor did anything wrong. The Republican and Democrat nominees for State A.G., Gil Krasney and Glenn Alberts, respectively, did not respond to KFXU's requests for comment..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Wow." said Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle as she, Captain Tanya Muscone, and I watched prior to the Angels Meeting. "I did not hear Bettina mention that in her broadcast. At all."

"And you won't." I replied. "They're going to suppress it. The only thing about Hunter Stenson you'll hear from KXTC or the SNN Networks is that he stopped for ice cream on the way to his cushy lobbying job. The double standard at work."

"I guess election season is heating up." said Tanya. "So much for a cool, quiet summer. Does anyone else remember when election campaigns didn't get heated up until after Labor Day?"

I said "That got changed with early voting laws. In this State, early voting begins just over three weeks before Election Day. In some States, it's as much as four weeks. And that doesn't count absentee ballots going out. So now campaigns have to move their timetables up by a month."

I then said "Okay, let's get some work done. What's going on in our great Police Department today?"

Tanya said "The good news is that they're going to take Inga out of her induced coma today. She may not wake up until tomorrow, but I've told Jerome Davis that his duty station is at the Hospital for the next few days."

"Good." I said. "Any other big cases the Detectives are working on?"

Tanya said "Nothing big, sir. Vice is watching out to see if anyone fills the void left behind by the Block House Boyz being dismantled. But Lieutenant Rudistan says not much may happen until School starts ramping up in late August, and customers of their products start coming in." I nodded.

Tanya: "There's nothing major going on in Major Crimes. And Intel is not coming up with anything about planned demonstrations, violent or peaceful. We've been expecting some stuff to develop over the Breonna Bryant situation, but nothing so far."

I said "I suspect they'll wait until she's put on trial, which might happen as early as this Autumn. Right now it's hot outside, and people are tired of the violence... including those perpetrating the violence. So until the Media gets back into it and starts stirring the pot, maybe we'll have a few quiet weeks, neh? Okay, Teresa, whassup with everything else?"

Teresa said "It is really tense in the Precincts, sir. A lot of it is worry over what is going to happen to you at the Board of Inquest next week. Yours is the first one under the new Charter, that you wrote, and the irony is not lost among people carrying green crowbars."

"She can volunteer to write the next Charter." I said witheringly. "But they shouldn't worry about me. How's the esprit-de-corps otherwise?"

"Strained." said Teresa. "A lot of those favoring decertification are openly saying that those who wanted to stay Unionized are supporting McCombs's racism and McElwane's stupidity. A lot of younger Officers, mostly Rookies, don't want to decertify and are complaining formally about being harassed about it."

"Nip that shit in the bud." I admonished. "Do it today, Commander, do it today."

"Yes sir." said Teresa. "Also, McElwane is having problems. Buchannan is the only Officer willing to partner with him on patrols, since they'd partnered before and since Buchannan is trying to set a solid example. Lieutenant DeLong has told both of them to be armored at all times while on duty... not just on patrol, but on duty."

"Make sure you and the Precinct leadership monitor that very carefully." I said. "And I'm going to talk to Orosco about it, and have I.A. monitor things from within."

Seeing Teresa's face change just a bit, I said "I gotta do it. If we start having racial issues or some kind of 'Red Squad' crap, we have to nip it in the bud before it gets started."

"I understand, sir." said Teresa...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

9:00am, Thursday, July 23d. The Chief called me and Cindy into the Chief's Conference Room. Sheriff Griswold was already there.

"Your Inquisition... I mean Inquest... is on Monday at 10:00am." said the Chief after we'd sat down. "The presiding judge will be Robert Mullen."

'Don't even joke, Chief." I said.

"No, I really shouldn't." said the Chief. "But the Union really did ask for him to be the presiding judge, and I.G. Wellman said 'Don't even joke.' Well, maybe he said something more 'colorful' in denying that request."

"How does that work?" Cindy asked. "Is there a permanent judge?"

"No." I said. "And the word 'judge' isn't wholly accurate. The formal name is 'Presiding Officer', and he or she could be a judge, but could also be another official. The Mayor could do it, the I.G., any of us in the Command Group in the Public Safety Department. It would be rare for us to do it, though, as the Presiding Officer is expected to be impartial to whatever is being examined."

I continued: "When we wrote the Charter, we were hoping that retired Judge Lorraine McGill would agree to preside over big cases. But someone suggested to the Governor to appoint her this State's newest United States Senator------"

"And someone suggested to me to suggest that to the Governor." growled Sheriff Griswold, giving it right back to me. Cindy and the Chief chuckled.

"Anyhoo," I said, "I.G. Wellman will get someone to be the Presiding Officer, and we know it won't be Judge Nance... nor Robert Mullen."

"So how does Jury selection work?" Cindy asked.

"As you know," I said, "every Monday morning there's a new Jury pool reporting to the Courthouse complex. If a Board of Inquest is scheduled, and it's not Monday, the I.G. or his designee will go there and ask six people who have been struck as Jurors in trials to serve on the Inquest Jury. If it's Monday, people in the overall pool will be asked to volunteer, and if they do their jury service will be considered to be served."

I continued: "Potential jurors are given a questionnaire that is supposed to screen them, but it's not rigorous, and there's no empaneling session like a Court trial. So we're pretty much going to get 'pot luck' in six Citizens on our Inquest Jury."

"The I.G. sure has a lot of power with regard to these Boards." Cindy lamented.

"Boards of Inquest are meant to be extensions of the I.G. Office." I replied. "And Boards of Inquiry were worse... the Mayor had almost complete power over them. Mayor Vaughan didn't exercise that power, but delegated it wisely; and Mayor Allgood also held back, but got a lot of flak from the Council Democrats when he tried to curtail Silas and Finneran. But you're right, Cindy, in that if Bruce Finneran were elected I.G., it's be a disaster..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

3:00pm, Thursday, July 23d. The Chief called me into his office. Sheriff Griswold was already there. The Chief had me sit down, then turned the floor over to the Sheriff.

"The I.G., Horace Wellman gave me a call." said the Sheriff. "The Union is already trying to manipulate the Board of Inquest. Wellman is set to name Dr. Clarence P. Chase, Dean of the University Law School, as Presiding Officer. The Union threatened to sue if he, Wellman, did not name their choice, Robert Mullen, as Presiding Officer."

Chief Moynahan said "That prompted a phone call from the I.G. to Federal Judge Taney, who called the Union and told them that any lawsuit against the Town & County regarding the Board of Inquest would be considered a willful Contempt of Federal Court."

"Good." I said. "I admit to some surprise over that, but I won't look the gift horse in the mouth."

"Good man." growled the Sheriff. "But that's not all. The Union wants more say-so in the Jury selection. They want veto power over the six selections and two alternates after they've been chosen. Horace wants to know if we also want veto power over the Jury."

"Good grief." I muttered. "That's not how it works. They're already trying to rig the process."

"What do you want to dooooo, Mr. Crowbar?" asked the Chief.

"With respect, Sheriff, call the I.G. and tell him... no, demand of him to follow the outlined process. Tell him to tell the Union to pound sand on Jury selection and anything else that is not in jackbooted lockstep with the process..."

Part 12 - Double Standard Redux

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Friday, July 24th, from in front of the Cold Stone Creamery ice cream store in the Downtown District. "Police Commander Donald Troy comes under fire from every direction!"

Bettina began: "The Police Union has bitterly complained about Inspector General Horace S. Wellman's choice of the University Law School Dean, Dr. Clarence P. Chase, as Presiding Officer of the Board of Inquest being convened to hear the Union's case against Commander Donald Troy, which was referred to a Board by Federal Judge Ruth B. Taney."

Bettina: "Dr. Lionel Carmela, head of the Department of Political Science at the University, condemned the I.G.'s choice, saying that Dr. Chase should recuse himself because Commander Troy's wife is Dr. Laura Fredricson of the University's Psychology Department, creating a conflict of interest for Dr. Chase. Both IG Horace Wellman and his brother, University President Sidney P. Wellman, rejected Dr Carmela's reasonable observation, and said the choice of Dr. Chase will stand as long as he is willing to do it."

Bettina: "Bruce Finneran, the Democrat nominee for Inspector General, also condemned the choice of Dr. Chase, saying in a statement that he would choose someone not beholden to Donald Troy as the Presiding Officer of the Board of Inquest. KXTC Channel Two News has strongly endorsed Mr. Finneran for the I.G. position in this November's election."

Bettina: "In State news, State Senator Corey Coons, the Democrat nominee for Lieutenant Governor, has demanded a meeting with Police Commander Donald Troy after Troy released a statement urging District Attorney Miriam Walters's Office to prosecute University student Breonna Bryant to the fullest extent of the law, including not dropping the felony murder charges. Commander Troy did not return KXTC's repeated calls for comment on Senator Coons's reasonable request."

Bettina: And nationally, USDOJ Civil Right Division Officer Ava Hinds released a statement saying that the charges by the TCPD against Breonna Bryant and the 'Jacquez 200" peaceful protesters are an egregious violation of their civil rights, and the Civil Rights Division will be opening an investigation of the TCPD if they do not drop or significantly reduce the charges against all 200 protesters as well as the 'Juneteenth 22' protesters still being held and charged."

Bettina: "In other news, as this tape provided by our sister station KSB shows, Hunter Stenson, son of Democrat Candidate for Governor Hoyt Stenson, stopped off at a Cold Stone Creamery ice cream shop as his father attended a strategy session of State Democrats."

Tape was rolling, showing Hunter Stenson enjoying ice cream and talking to people as KSB's Tim Sioban said "Hunter Stenson is an important member of his father's Campaign staff, and has pointed out many times that Republican candidate for Governor Sharon Marshall would be a clone of White Nationalist Val Jared..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Wow, talk about a double standard!" I muttered as I sipped my coffee, as Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle, Captain of Detectives Tanya P. Muscone watched the Democrat propaganda... er, Bettina Broadcast with me. "Hunter Stenson should be under investigation for felony crimes at the State and Federal level, but Bettina shows him stopping at an ice cream shop."

"What's the deal on that Corey Coons meeting?" Teresa asked.

"There is no deal." I replied. "And there is no meeting. When their campaign called, my assistant Helena told them that I would not meet with Coons, neither publicly nor privately."

"Why would that race-baiter even ask for a meeting?" Teresa asked. "I mean, I get it he wants the publicity that the Media will very willingly give him, but he had to know that you were going to tell him to shove a crowbar up his ass."

"You have it right... the publicity." I said. "First, Katina Jones's poll numbers shot up in the Black Community after her well-publicized meeting with me, even after I met with Bryant and told Paulina to throw Bryant under the Courthouse, so maybe Coons thinks he can get some publicity that way. Second, he's keeping that false Bryant narrative in the Press that poor, innocent Breonna Bryant is being persecuted by the bad ol' TCPD Police Commander. Just ginning up more hatred, chaos, and divisiveness."

Tanya added: "And laying yet more groundwork for the Democrats's assertions that blacks should not be held responsible for their crimes." I nodded vigorously in agreement.

Teresa said "And the USDOJ Civil Rights Division suddenly pops their heads up and starts whining. Anything to that?"