The World Series

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Brad played six seasons with Detroit, with his best year being his sixth, where he batted.281 with ninety-four RBIs and twenty-two home runs. Brad also won a Gold Glove award with a.998 fielding average and was named to the All-Star team. However, Brad knew he was named only because All-Star rules required at least one player from each team, and since Detroit didn't have a standout star, Brad was tapped to represent his team.

Brad was very happy with his life even though they had learned that Kim couldn't have any children. It was a considerable blow for both, but they bounced back. Instead of wallowing in what they couldn't have, they lavished their attention on their nephews and nieces. Brad had a brother and a sister, while Kim had three brothers.

During the winter after his sixth season, Brad was informed by the Tigers he had been traded to the Tampa Bay Rays. Brad was sad to leave the Tigers, but Kim was thrilled to be going to Florida.

The next four years were good for Brad and Kim. He batted in the.270s and was a starter mostly in right field but sometimes in left field. And after the fourth season with Tampa, Brad talked about retiring. He felt it was time, but Kim wouldn't hear it. Brad always wondered if Kim enjoyed being the wife of a professional baseball player too much. Of course, she denied it.

Nevertheless, Kim did have a winning argument. The Rays had a good chance of making it to the playoffs and even the World Series. Playing in the World Series was a goal that every professional baseball player strived for. So, he signed a two-year contract extension. Even with a two-year contract, Brad could retire if he wanted out after a year.

The first half of Brad's eleventh season was okay, but after the All-Star game, his performance began to decline. And by late September, Brad was riding the bench. But as Kim had pointed out, the Rays had made it into the playoffs and were now in the World Series.

Brad checked his gym bag again and then checked the kitchen for his wife. She was still puttering around, and he hoped she would be there after the game. With a sigh, he grabbed his bag and stood up.

"Is it time for you to go?" Kim said from the kitchen entrance.

"Yeah, it's time to get this over with," Brad said sourly.

"Just remember, it's not over until it's over," Kim giggled.

"Right," Brad smiled and replied. "And when you come to the fork in the road, take it. Love you, babe."

"I love you more, babe."

He threw her a kiss, and she pretended to catch it and place it over her heart. This was their traditional parting before each game.

When Brad went out to the field to warm up, he found it heartwarming that the stands were already full of Tampa fans. But Brad was a little sad because he would miss playing baseball.

Fox World Series coverage - Chip Fair - play-by-play - Steve Amber - color commentator

Game Four - bottom of the ninth inning:

"It looked like the Rays were mounting a comeback," Steve Amber observed. "Down 2 - 0 in the bottom of the ninth, they managed to get two runners on base with no one out. But the Dodgers brought in their ace reliever, Scott Sharman, and he struck out the first two batters he faced. Now, the Rays are down to their final out."

"Jose Antonio is a.282 hitter with a.346 lifetime batting average against Sharman. He's settled into the batter's box, and Sharman delivers," Chip Fair intoned. "Strike one called."

"Sharman has been devastating on opposing hitters this season," Steve offered. "He recorded thirty-five saves with an ERA is 1.94. But if anyone has a chance against Sharman, it's Antonio."

"Sharman winds up and delivers. Jose swings and fouls it off his ankle."

"Ouch! That's going to leave a nasty bruise, Chip."

"Looks like it's more than a bruise because Jose is still on the ground, apparently in a lot of pain. The trainers are out checking his foot and ankle. Oh, this is not good. They're signaling for help to get Jose off the field. We hope it's just a bad bruise, but we'll find out and let you know what the injury is."

"I wonder who Joe Torrance will send up to finish Jose's at bat?" Steve questioned. "It is not an enviable situation for whoever it is. Baseball players absolutely hate to make the last out in a game. And to make the last out in the World Series is ten times worse."

"Someone is stirring in the Rays dugout," Chip reported. "It looks like Brad Seaver has been selected for this seemingly impossible situation."

"I'm really surprised at Joe's choice," Steve admitted. "Brad's had a less than sterling season. He's only batting.209. Still, he has had six pinch hits this year and one in the post-season. And that post-season hit tied a game that the Rays went on to win. Nevertheless, this is not a good situation for anyone, especially a player struggling at the plate. This series could all be over in one pitch."

"Brad has settled in the box, and Scott's got his signal. He winds and fires. Swing and a miss. Oh wait, he tipped the ball, and the catcher dropped it."

"That was a nasty curve," Steve admitted. "But Brad is still alive."

"Scott rears and delivers. Brad fouled that one back into the screen."

"Brad had a good cut at that fastball, but he just missed getting good wood on it. Brad must feel like a mountain climber hanging on by his fingernails."

"Scott delivers, and it's just outside. Now the count is 1 and 2."

Nine pitches later:

"This has turned into some battle, hasn't it, Chip?"

"I must admit that I thought Sharman would finish Seaver off in short order, and the Dodgers would take the series in four straight. But Seaver has battled to a full count. Sharman is back on the rubber after a short visit from the Dodger's manager, Matthis. He has the sign, rocks, and fires. And Seaver fouled it into the screen behind home plate again."

"On paper, this a complete mismatch," Steve observed. "But Brad Seaver refuses to go quietly into the night. If Seaver can wrangle a walk out of this at bat, that will be a major achievement. That would load the bases. Then a single could bring in the tying run."

"Sharman is set. He checks Benson, who is bouncing around at third, and fires. It's a Long FLY BALL TO DEEP CENTER FIELD. Rodriguez is back to the wall. He jumps, but it's out of here! THE RAYS WIN! THE RAYS WIN! THE RAYS WIN!"

The Tampa Bay players scrambled out of the dugout and mobbed Brad when he touched home plate. The fans went wild in the stands and were still cheering ten minutes later. Before Brad left the field, he looked up into the stands, but Kim was gone.

In the clubhouse, Brad was surrounded by reporters. One asked, "Were you looking for that curve ball?"

Brad shook his head. "I don't try to guess pitches because I'm not good at it. I just try to protect zones. And with that at bat, I had to expand the area because I didn't want to get rung up on a close one. I got lucky it wasn't one of Scott's best curve balls, and I got good wood on it."

Another reporter asked, "What do you think about the Rays' chances for tomorrow's game?"

"Well, the next game will start with the score nothing to nothing, so we have as good a chance as the Dodgers," Brad said modestly with a smile. "One other thing, though. At the beginning of the series, people predicted that we would be swept by the Dodgers. That won't happen now, and that feels really good."

Kim showed up about an hour after Brad had returned from the stadium. She was bubbling over with so much enthusiasm that Brad didn't have the heart to bring up her disappearance.

"I'm so glad you agreed to that contract extension," Kim enthused. "You always wished you could play in a World Series game. Well, now you've done that and even won the game. I'm so proud of you and love you more than I could ever tell you."

That night, Brad slept soundly with his wife next to him. He woke up feeling better than he had in weeks. But Kim was gone again. Where could she possibly be this early in the morning?

When Brad got to the stadium, the atmosphere in the locker room had changed dramatically. Gone were the stress and gloom. And warming up and batting practice was loose and fun. And much to Brad's surprise, he was in the starting lineup, playing right field and batting ninth. Normally, this is where the pitcher would be hitting. However, designated hitters were permitted since this was an American League Park.

After the National Anthem, Brad looked into the stands and saw Kim. She was settling into her seat. He tried to wave to her, but she didn't seem to see him.

Fox World Series coverage - Chip Fair - play-by-play - Steve Amber - color commentator

Game Five:

"The Dodger's manager, Tommy Matthis, and the Rays manager, Joe Torrance, have exchanged their lineups, Luis Havier has finished his warmup, and the Rays are now taking the field," Chip announced. "Game five of the World Series is about to begin."

Steve chuckled. "Chip, in your wildest imaginations, did you think there was any chance there would be a game five in this series?"

"If I was a betting man, I would have bet the homestead that the Dodgers had the Rays down and out, especially when Antonio was helped off the field. By the way, Antonio is done for the Series. He chipped his ankle bone. But speaking of that miraculous win yesterday, what about Brad Seaver? He has struggled since the All-Star break, and I think Tampa would have released him if he wasn't so good defensively."

"I can't say enough good things about how Brad battled Sharman until he got the pitch he wanted. That battle of wills is something people are going to watch for years to come. And that win seems to have transformed the Rays. I watched them during batting practice. The team is relaxed and upbeat. This isn't the same team that the Dodgers rolled in the first three games."

Bottom of the third inning:

"Okay, it's the bottom of the third," Chip offered, "and Ronnie Collins is leading off for the Rays. He's a.261 hitter with 14 home runs for the season. So far, Sal Johnson has breezed through the first two innings, racking up three strikeouts."

"Johnson was a great off-season acquisition," Scott admitted. "He's become the Dodger's number three starter."

"Both Collins and Johnson are set," Chip continued. "He winds and deals, strike one on the outside corner."

"That pitch was ninety-six miles an hour," Steve said with awe.

"He's one of the hardest throwers in the National League this year," Chip said, glancing at Steve for a second before returning his attention to the field. "Johnson has got the sign, and he's into his windup. Collins slaps that into right field for a single. That will bring up Corey Williams, who has always struggled against Johnson. He's only one for twelve lifetime. Anyway, Williams digs in at the plate, and Havier is set. Williams swings awkwardly. But he got enough of the bat that it is looping out toward left field and will drop for a single. Collins pulls up at second. Now the hero of yesterday's game, Brad Seaver, is stepping into the batter's box. Listen to the Tampa Bay fans roar."

Four pitches later

Steve puts the binoculars down and leans a little closer to his microphone. "I have to say that Brad looks like a completely different hitter down there. Over the last month and a half, he seemed to be really pressing every time he was up to bat. Now, he looks cool and relaxed."

"Seaver has run the count to 2 and 2, and here is the next pitch," Chip pauses for a second and then yells, "LONG FLY BALL TO DEEP RIGHT FIELD! It's way back; it's out of here. That ball was hit deep into the upper deck."

"Listen to the fans," Steve said lifting his mic slightly. "SEAVER! SEAVER! SEAVER!" Steve put his mic down and continued. "Looks like they won't stop until Brad comes out for a curtain call. Here he comes. A quick wave to the crowd from the top step of the dugout. He has given the Rays' fans a lot to cheer about these past two days."

Bottom of the fifth inning:

"The Rays have loaded the bases with no one out, and Seaver is coming up to bat," Chip said as cheers began to rise throughout the stadium. The fans were up, stomping, clapping, and cheering for all they were worth.

"I wonder if Brad has any magic left in his bag," Steve laughed. "I'm sure Johnson isn't happy to see him in this situation."

"I don't imagine he is," Chip agreed. "But Matthis is letting him pitch to Seaver. Okay, Johnson's set, and he fires - ball one. That was down and outside."

Two pitches later:

"Johnson has really dug himself a hole," Scott observed. "He's trying to be too careful with Seaver, and he's run the count to 3 and 0, and he has no place to put him."             

"Johnson has the ball and is on the rubber. He shakes off two signs, but now he's ready. Here's the pitch. It's a hard line drive down the right field line. It's heading into the corner, taking a funny bounce. Matthews is scrambling after the ball and comes up with it, finally firing it into second base. But three runs have scored, and Seaver is standing on third base with a standup triple."

"Well, how about that?" Steven chortled. "It looks like Seaver's bag still has magic in it."

Three pitches later:

"And Thor Grundle goes down on strikes," Chip comments as Thor walks back to the dugout. "Now Roger Danby is settling into the batter's box. He was only a.257 hitter for the season but had an on-base percentage of.364, which is important if you're the leadoff hitter. He also led the club by getting hit by a pitch fourteen times."

"He's a feisty player," Scott offered. "He's known to crowd the plate, and with how hard some of these pitchers throw, that's brave or foolhardy, depending on your point of view."

"Johnson is on the rubber," Chip continues. "He checks Seaver at third and deals. It's a long fly ball to deep centerfield. Donner is under it at the warning track and hauls it in. Seaver tags and trots on home. The Rays have extended their lead to 7 - 0."

The inning ended with Bobby Sheffield grounding out to short.

Top of the seventh inning:

"Torrance has replaced Grundle with Randy Mixon," Chip reported. "So Grundle leaves after six innings having given up no runs with four strikeouts. That was a very good outing for him."

"Mixon's record this season is five wins and four losses. He's been used as a middle-inning reliever. But if he can hold the Dodgers for two innings, the Rays can bring in their closer, Jason Marino."

"I'm sure that's what Torrance is thinking," Chip confirmed. "However, the Dodgers are sending the top of their batting order up starting with Sammy Bills, who is hitting.294 as the leadoff hitter."

"His nickname is "Fireplug" because he's built like one," Scott chuckled. "He's fast and all muscle. And he'll try to take you out if you get in his way. He's been in two fights this year because of his hard slides into second base."

"Mixon is ready as Bills steps into the batter's box. The first pitch is down and outside. I'm unsure how Mixon plans to pitch to Bills but keeping it away from him is probably a good idea. Mixon is ready and deals the next pitch. Bills cracks it straight up the middle for a single. That will bring up Tad Thorne, who has had a monster year. He's hitting.310 with thirty-nine home runs."

Four pitches later:

"Thorne has run the count to 2 and 2. Mixon goes into his set position, checks the runner first, and fires. Thorne hits a shot into the gap between center and right. Bills is rounding second, heading to third. Seaver corrals the ball and fires it to second. Thorne slides hard and is safe."

"That play was a lot closer at second than I thought it would be when Seaver caught up to the ball," Scott observed. "He fired a strike to second base. His hitting fell off during the later part of this year, but his defensive play never did."

"The Dodgers have been relatively quiet until now," Chip offered. "But their bats have suddenly come alive. And now they've got Tad Blankin coming up with two on and no outs."

"Mixon has dug a little bit of a hole for himself," Scott admitted.

"Torrance is on his way to the mound to chat with Mixon. Think he'll make a change?"

"I doubt it, Chip. Mixon's got a good fastball and a wicked curve."

"I guess you're right because Torrance is heading back to the dugout, leaving Mixon to pitch to Blankin, one of the hottest hitters on the Dodgers. He's hitting.347 with forty-nine home runs."

"Not only that, Chip, but Blakin is hitting.427 lifetime against Mixon."

"Well, it looks like they are not taking any chances. They're intentionally walking Blankin to load the bases," Chip reports as Blankin trots down to first base.

"Their cleanup hitter, Ray Freeman, is settling into the box. Mixon's first pitch is a strike."

"A double play would be a big help out right about now," Scott said hopefully.

"A swing, and Freeman hits a dribbler down the first base line. Mixon is off the mound and bare hands the ball. He only has one play, and that's to first. The throw was in time, but Bills scored easily from third. The Dodgers have put their first run up on the board and have runners at second and third with only one out."

"While we're waiting for Hector Aponte to settle into the batter's box," Scott segues smoothly, "We like to remind our listeners that Brandon Ford on East Adamo Drive is offering zero percent financing on all their new and used trucks."

"Aponte is set in the batter's box, and Mixon is ready," Chip began again. "Mixon will have to be careful because Aponte can usually put the bat on the ball. He's only had thirty-six strikeouts this season."

Three pitches later:

"Aponte has run the count to 2 and 1 with one out and two on." Chip said as he glanced at the laptop next to him.

"This is Aponte's meat and potatoes," Scott said. "He'll be looking for something in his zone. If he doesn't get it, he'll wait Mixon out."

Chip continues. "Mixon's set and delivers. Aponte swings and lines a single to right field. Thorne will score easily, and Blankin is being waved home. Seaver scoops up the ball and fires it on one hop to home plate, and they nail Blankin."

"What a throw from Seaver," Scott enthused. "That play at home wasn't even close."

"Now, with two outs and a man on first, Jordan Donner steps into the batter's box. Mixon looks a little unsettled. So, the catcher, Jimmy Fox, trots out to talk to him."

Four Pitches later:

"Mixon walked Donner on four pitches, putting runners on first and second with two out. And it looks like Torrance is going to make a change. He's signaled to the bullpen, and it looks like he's bringing in the righthander, Greg Cole. He's had an up-and-down year with 3 wins and 6 losses. His ERA is a very unimpressive 5.12. However, Greg has been much better of late. He got a save in one of the Wild Card games and another in the ALCS final."

"This call to the bullpen is brought to you by Roger Harper Steakhouse, located just outside the stadium. Whether you want a Filet Mignon, Ribeye, New York strip, or a Porterhouse, it will be cooked exactly as you want. Every Thursday night is ladies' night, and every lady accompanied by her husband or boyfriend gets their steak for free. And at Roger Harper's, from 5 to 6pm, they have a two-for-one happy hour."

"Cole has finished his warmups, and Ray Matthews has stepped into the batter's box. And here's the first pitch - a long fly ball to deep left field. It caroms off the wall. With two outs, both runners were off with the pitch. Aponte will score easily, and Donner is being waved around third, and he'll also score as the throw is cut off."