The World Series

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"The Dodgers bats seem to have finally awoken," Scott offered. "They've scored four runs this inning so far. This game could turn against the Rays if they're not careful."

With two out and no one on, the Dodgers opted to pinch-hit. However, Danny Cruz, grounded out to end the inning. Still, the Dodgers had closed the score to 7 - 4. But that was as close as they got. In the bottom of the eighth, Bobby Sheffield doubled to right. With no one out, Brad then singled, scoring Sheffield. He then stole second base and advanced to third on a long fly to right field. Then Brad scored on another long fly ball.

Post Game summary:

"The Rays spoke loud and often," Chip reported. "They scored 9 runs on twelve hits. And Brad Seaver continues to amaze everyone. He had 7 RBIs and scored a run. And we can't forget that great throw home that nailed Blankin.

"It was a truly inspired game by the Rays," Scott agreed. "Tomorrow is a travel day because the Series shifts to Los Angeles."

"The pregame will start at 8 o'clock Eastern daylight savings time," Chips continues his wrap-up, "and the game starts at 9:05. Thanks for watching, and we hope you tune in for game six of the World Series."

Normally, the Rays didn't permit wives to fly on the team plane. But because of the team's comeback, they lifted the prohibition and offered a seat to any wife who wanted to go. Most wives accepted, but Brad wasn't sure whether Kim would come.

The Rays' jet left for LA about three hours after the game ended. It would be a long overnight flight, but the Rays felt having a full day in LA to rest made it worthwhile. Brad sat in his seat, waiting to see if Kim would make the flight. In fact, he had looked for her after the final out, but she had already left. It was again bringing flashbacks of his first marriage. With no Kim, Brad took three aspirins to quell his pounding headache and slept fitfully with his wife not there.

Brad was able to get four more hours of sleep after arriving at the hotel before heading to Dodger Stadium for practice. Again, the practice was loose, and the players seemed truly relaxed. That night, Brad went to bed early and arose feeling well-rested. But he was still troubled by the fact that Kim was not there. He couldn't help but wonder what was going on with her.

When Joe posted the starting lineup, Brad was pleased to find he was still starting in right field and batting eighth. The Dodgers seemed nervous and tight to everyone watching. And the game proved that they were.

Fox Sports - sixth game wrap-up:

"Miracles of miracles, the Rays have tied the series three games apiece," Chip said joyfully. "The Rays offense was led again by Brad Seaver. He has been spectacular after being inserted as a pinch hitter in game four. Today, he doubled in the third inning to drive in the first run and then scored when the pitcher, Thor Grundle, looped a single into right field. Thor has only had two hits all season, so this was a big one. The Rays held on to their 2 - 0 lead until the top of the sixth when the wheels came off for the Dodgers. The Rays loaded the bases with Seaver up. He immediately doubled off the centerfield wall, scoring three runs. Bobby Sheffield then followed with a single to right, scoring Seaver. Roger Darby followed with a line drive over the right field wall. That upped the score to 7 - 0 in favor of the Rays. That was when the Dodger manager changed pitchers, bringing on Tito Velez, their second-best relief pitcher. Tito had twenty-one saves with an ERA of 2.33, but sloppy defense by the Dodgers turned a possible double play into runners at first and third. Then a double by Andy Pitts brought two more runs in, making it 9 - 0. The Dodgers managed to score two runs when Freeman put one over the left field wall with one on. Seaver had another single in the ninth, but he was left stranded at first. The final score saw the Rays coast to a 9 -2 victory. Now everything comes down to the seventh and final game of the series. We'll be back tomorrow night with the pre-game show at 8 pm Eastern daylight savings time and the seventh game of the World Series starting at 9:05. For Fox Sports, this is Chip Fair and Steve Amber thank you for watching."

After the obligatory interviews in the locker room, Brad returned to the hotel room to get a bag of ice for his head and neck. He ran the tub and sat in it soaking. After twenty minutes, Brad heard someone in the other room. He was about to get out of the tub when Kim walked in and smiled at him. He was surprised but elated to see her.

"How do you feel, honey?" she asked sweetly.

"Like a hundred-year-old man," Brad said with a weak smile. "I feel like I'm all used up. I'm going to take some aspirin and go to bed."

"That's a good idea," Kim said as she followed Brad into the bedroom. She watched as he took the three aspirins and a sleeping pill. Kim sat with him until his breathing was deep and steady. Then quietly, she left him so her husband could get what rest he could.

Brad slept for ten hours but awoke tired and still drained. One good thing, his headache was gone. Kim was there as soon as he stirred.

"How do you feel today?" she asked with concern.

"Still like a hundred-year-old man," Brad smiled, elated that his wife was still there. He didn't care where she had been. She was here now, and that was all Brad cared about. Once the season was over, he'd make sure they spent more time together. But deep in the back of his mind was the fear that maybe she was waiting for the season to be over to leave him forever.

Brad wasn't hungry, so they hung out at the pool for several hours. Then Brad took a nap before finally heading to the stadium. The atmosphere in the clubhouse was bubbling over with enthusiasm. The atmosphere didn't do much to help Brad shake the cobwebs. He didn't feel one hundred percent, but he certainly felt infinitely better than last night.

The final game of the series had the sports world in a tizzy. Dodger Stadium was packed well before batting practice started. There were reports that scalpers were charging $2000 for a ticket. Brad's time in the batting cage was kind of a waste as his headache had come back. Sitting before his locker, Brad took his usual three aspirins and leaned against the metal wall behind him. Brad wondered if he should tell the skipper about his headache but decided to see if he was in the starting lineup. If Brad was in the starting lineup, he'd make a game time decision about whether he was fit enough to play.

But that plan went quickly out the window as one player after another came up to let Brad know how much they appreciated his efforts, and they told him they wouldn't let him down in this final game. After that, Brad knew it would be difficult to sit this game out if he was in the starting lineup. And when the starting lineup was announced, Brad was in right field and batting eighth.

The decision was easy; Brad was going to play.

Ninth inning play-by-play:

"This has been an unbelievable pitcher's duel," Chip said as Andy Pitts stepped into the batter's box. "Dodger pitchers Kodai Tanaka and Tyler Bowen have limited the Rays to one hit, and Rays pitchers Jack Sullivan and Gavin Miller have limited the Dodgers to two hits."

"Now the Dodgers have brought in Tito Velez to pitch to the Rays in the ninth," Scott offered. "I think they're saving Sharman to mop up if they get a lead."

Chip continued the play-by-play. "Velez serves up his first pitch, and it's slapped to left field for a single. Pitts rounds first but retreats to the bag as Aponte fires the ball to second base."

"I think the Rays will have Sheffield try to lay a bunt down here," Scott offered.

"That makes sense, Scott. And Sheffield squares to bunt and misses. Strike one. Velez shook off the first sign but is ready and deals. Sheffield squares again to bunt. This one is fouled off; strike two. Now with two strikes, the question is whether the Rays will let Sheffield swing away?"

"I think I'd still have him bunt," Scott offered. "If Sheffield swings away, he could hit into a double play. They need to get the runner in scoring position."

"Here's the next pitch, and Sheffield squares and lays a bunt down the first base line. Velez is off the mound quickly but only has a play at first. Now the Rays have a man at second with one out and Brad Seaver coming up."

"Seaver's bat has been silent today," Scott offered. "He grounded out and struck out in his two times up. And he didn't look good either time."

Two pitches later:

"The count is 0 and 2, and I have to admit that Seaver looks really uncomfortable," Chip continued. "Velez sets and fires. Seaver's hit a weak grounder between first and second. Bills and Thorne moved to get it, but it sneaks through for a "seeing eye" single. Matthews charges in and grabs the ball as Pitts is being waved home. Pitts slides in headfirst and is safe. The Rays have finally broken through and lead 1 - 0."

Two pitches after Brad's hit:

"Pinch hitter Cleon Johnson has a 1 -1 count on him. He's dug in and waits for the next pitch. It's a fastball, and he hits it on the ground to the shortstop, who flips it to second and then on to first for a double play. Now the Rays are only three outs from, perhaps, the most remarkable comeback in World Series history."

The postgame recap:

"The Rays took a 1 - 0 lead into the bottom of the ninth inning," Chip began, "but I don't think anyone expected how this game would finish. At the top of the ninth, the Rays manufactured a run. Andy Pitts singled, and Bobby Sheffield sacrificed him over to second. Then Brad Seaver hit a single that somehow made its way between first and second, bringing Pitts home from second. But then the Rays had to contend with the top of the Dodger's order. And leading off for the Dodgers was Sammie Bills, who promptly doubled off the left field wall. Then Thorne walked on four pitches, and Blankin was hit by a pitched ball. With the bases loaded and no one out, Ray Freeman was up to bat. Ray hit a sinking line drive that I'm sure every Rays fan thought was the World Series slipping through their fingers. But Brad Seaver came flying in, dove, and snatched the ball just before it hit the ground, rolled over, and tossed it to Williams at second, who stepped on the bag and then tagged the runner coming from first - a triple play. Only the second triple play in World Series history with the last one by the Cleveland Indians in 1920. So, this has been a miracle of miracles World Series. The Tampa Bay Rays are now World Champions. Your thoughts, Scott."

"Every day since Brad hit the winning home run in game four, one moment in sports has bounced around my head. I'm talking about that moment during the 1980 Olympic Games when the American hockey team played the Russians. With less than ten seconds left, Al Michaels yelled, "DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES? YES! And today, do we believe in miracles? ABSOLUTELY YES!"

"Our producer just informed me the voting on the Series MVP is in," Chip announced. And to no one's surprise, Brad Seaver was the unanimous choice. And I'm told he would have been the choice even if the Rays had lost the Series."

"What a remarkable World Series for Brad Seaver," Scott added. "He had ten official at-bats, garnering eight hits with two home runs and fourteen RBIs. He now has the highest batting average of any player in a World Series,.800."

Brad stayed through the craziness of the locker room, answered all the reporters' questions, had Champagne poured on his head multiple times, was hugged by his fellow players at least twice, and received a hug from each coach, the manager, and even the team owner. But all the time he was there, all Brad could think about was Kim. She didn't show up at the ballpark. He prayed that she was waiting for him back at the hotel room.

After a couple of hours, the press cleared out, and Brad could finally shower and catch a cab back to the hotel. However, Kim wasn't in the room when he arrived. Brad waited up late, but Kim never showed, and she still hadn't returned by the morning. Nor did Kim make the flight back to Tampa.

At the beginning of the season, Brad had tried to make it clear to Kim that this would be his last year. He wondered if Kim had left him for good because of that decision. Fortunately, there was a large contingent of fans at the airport to cheer their team which buoyed his spirits a little. And an even larger contingent at the stadium when the bus dropped the team off. But when Brad finally reached their apartment, the depression returned as Kim wasn't there either. Tears streamed down his face, and he had to accept the possibility that she had left him for good.

The following day, the City of Tampa Bay had arranged a parade through the downtown. And the next day, Brad's agent had him on the road for a three-week tour. It was exhausting with virtually every minute scheduled. But after a week, Brad had had enough. The tour meant nothing without Kim. Besides, he was totally exhausted.

As Brad opened the door to their apartment, his hope that his wife was there waiting for him was dashed immediately. The air had that stale smell when no one had been there for days. Brad checked around the apartment, but there was nothing out of place. No one had been in their apartment since he was last there.

After getting a cold beer, Brad went to their bedroom and began packing his clothes. He had decided that he'd head down to their farm. It wasn't really a farm as it had no animals. They called it a farm because the twenty-two acres had a farmhouse. They did have a vegetable garden, but that was long dead by this time of year. It was the only place that Brad could think that Kim might be.

Brad's packing was interrupted by the phone ringing. He quickly grabbed the receiver as he hoped it would be Kim.

"Hello," Brad answered as his heart started to pound.

"Brad, I'm glad I caught you," the voice that was not Kim's responded. "It's John Walker. I heard you left the promotion tour and took a chance that you'd be at your apartment."

John Walker was the Rays' General Manager.

"Mr. Walker, I'm kind of surprised to hear from you," Brad said. "Are you upset about me leaving the tour? It was just too exhausting, and I just wanted to get some rest without someone telling me to go here or go there every minute of the day."

"No, Brad, I'm not upset at all. I know how that kind of media circus can really get to someone. I called to see if we could meet tomorrow morning, say about ten?"

"I suppose so. I'm heading to my property near Arcadia, so it won't be a problem to swing by."

Brad was at the Rays' offices at 9:55 and was ushered into John Walker's office. The General Manager smiled, rose, and offered his hand.

"Thank you for seeing me, Brad," John said as they shook hands. "And let me congratulate you on a fabulous World Series. Whether you know it or not, you've become a living legend."

Brad blushed. "I don't know about that."

"Please, sit," John motioned to a chair before him. "Let me explain why I asked you to stop in this morning. I want to offer you a new two-year contract with a significant raise."

Brad was stunned by the offer but quickly shook his head. "No, I'm sorry, Mr. Walker, but I can't do it anymore."

"I understand that your regular season wasn't what you hoped it would be," John said soothingly. "But what we envision in this contract is a player/coach position. Brad, you're one of the best outfielders in the game, you run the bases with the best of them, and you are one of the few who knows how to bunt properly. There is so much you can teach the younger players. Brad, we want to keep you part of the Rays family. What do you think?"

Brad shook his head, and tears began to flow down his cheeks. "There's a reason why I can't do it. I have a brain tumor and it isn't operable. I learned about it just before spring training. I'm sorry, I should have told the team, but I desperately wanted this last season."

John was stunned by what Brad had told him, and tears began to form in his eyes. But he recovered quickly. "Have you gotten a second opinion? I can put you in touch with some of the best surgeons."

Brad again shook his head. "I've been to three different doctors, including Dr. Steinman, who you know is one of the world's foremost brain surgeons. They've all told me the same thing. The tumor is deep in my brain, and there is no way it can be removed without killing me. When I was examined, the consensus was that I have maybe a year. That's why I can't sign. I'll probably be gone before spring training."

"Oh God, Brad," John said with deep emotion as the tears began to form again. "I am so terribly sorry. Is there anything that I or the team can do for you?"

"No, I've taken care of everything," Brad said as he stood and offered his hand. But John didn't take his hand. Instead, he came around the desk and hugged Brad tightly. As John hugged him, Brad's thoughts drifted to his concern as to where Kim was. If only he could find her, everything truly would be taken care of. He fervently hoped that she would be waiting for him at the farm.

When John let him go, Brad turned and took four steps before pain exploded in his head, and he crumpled to the floor.

When Brad woke up, he immediately knew he was in the hospital. He saw the wires going from his body to the machines and heard the beeping. He looked around, and his eyes came to rest on a figure near his bed. Tears began to flow down his cheeks. Kim was there with him. He no longer cared where she had been, she was with him now, and that was all that mattered.

A nurse pushed her computer cart up to the nurses' station.

"Did you get Mr. Seaver's vitals?" the Head Nurse asked.

"No, he was talking to his wife," the nurse explained. "I thought I'd give them a little privacy first."

The Head Nurse was about to say something when the alarm sounded that Brad Seaver was in cardiac arrest. A code blue was called, and the crash cart was there in less than two minutes. They worked on Brad for fifteen minutes, but they could do nothing. He was gone.

When there were only the two of them, the nurse said as her voice choked a little, "I need to find Mrs. Seaver. She was here just a few minutes ago. I must let her know her husband is gone."

"Mary," the Head Nurse said gently, "there is no way that Mrs. Seaver could have been here. She died in January of cancer."

Epilog:

The sporting world was shocked and saddened when the Rays announced the passing of Brad Seaver. None more so than the Tampa fans. With the outpouring of grief, the front office immediately arranged to have Brad lie in state in the stadium. The viewing was supposed to start at nine in the morning, but people began lining up before six. By seven, the police estimated the line was between one and two miles long. The decision was made to open the gates at 7:30.

The line grew longer as the day went on, forcing the police to close more roads and reroute traffic. The stadium was surrounded by flowers, placards, and tokens of love. With the city's approval, the Rays extended the viewing hours until midnight and then to 2 am. Portable lights were set up to ensure the safety of the fans.

Finally, at 2:30 am, the police began to turn people away, and the stadium gate was closed at 4:45 am. At ten the following morning, a funeral procession left the stadium to carry Brad's body to Memorial Park Cemetery, where he was laid to rest beside his wife.

The first home game of the next season found Tropicana field filled to capacity. An American flag, the World Series Championship flag, and a pennant were lowered but kept furled up. After a few words by the Rays' owner, congratulating the team on their win and condolences for Brad, the three flags were unfurled. When the pennant opened, it revealed the number 23, Brad's uniform number. The crowd instantly broke into a roar and began chanting, "SEAVER! SEAVER! SEAVER!" The celebration lasted a full five minutes.