All Comments on 'The Yips Pt. 02'

by RobertaBob

Sort by:
  • 219 Comments (Page 3)
AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

5 huge stars. Loved the story. Loved the writing. Only a couple of miscues imo; I'm not sure why so many writers in lw bring so revenge upon the cheaters boyfriend more than the spouse/girlfriend. The wife had the most to lose. Boyfriend was a serial cheater whose wives knew (or should have known) about his conquests. If anyone is to pay, it is she. The second issue I have is lionizing Boston and the Sox. Any true baseball fan knows and understands that this rivalry favors the Yanks (and deservedly so.)

PencarrowPencarrowabout 1 year ago
THE YIPS. SO MUCH MORE THAN JUST A LOVING WIVES STORY.

I've read this series a few times, and each time I discover some new nuance that pleases me.

~

One thing I really like is that the story goes into the "zen" of baseball, a sport of which I knew bugger-all about (apart from the late Robin Williams' quote comparing it to cricket ("cricket is like baseball on valium"). But what really impresses me is the author's wide vocabulary and his larger view of history and our place in it.

~

The following sentence is brilliant in how it encapsulates this view to put things in perspective. It describes how Brian is using his knowledge of the Greek classics to look back at his marriage to Lauren, and compare it to thousands of similar betrayals throughout the ages:

~

"But he did see his life through the lens of that long view, so when he realized that Lauren had really left him, he mourned the loss of her for a time shorter that it might have otherwise been before mentally moving on to the next inning."

~

Or this sentence, where the word "antipodal" has been used instead of the more common "opposite to that" or "on the opposite side". Thanks Bob, that was a master-class in the precise use of words to convey meaning and it delights me:

~

"Instead, he dug a sharpie out of his locker and wrote on the barrel of his bat: KERAUNOS. The thunderbolt of Zeus. Antipodal to that he wrote: MEGAN."

~

Meanwhile, I continue to read and be surprised and delighted. Five from me, as usual, and thanks.

MorovarMorovar11 months ago

Awesome story. And the Yankees really do suck.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Get your foot down on time. See the ball hit the ball

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Even without the sex, this was a GREAT baseball story!

Signed: An old ball player

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Excellent. Well developed story, with a complex, commendable denouement. Five stars worthy.

Unhappy with all the current LW drivel, I went looking for the HOF Classics. This was a great find.

JPB

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Just an absolutely stunning story. One of the best on this site. Some of the author's other works are.enjoyable, yet others not as much, buy the Yips is just an amazing achievement. 5 stars does not do remotely enough justice. The author has a gift with his/her writing style. But when it comes to this story, they ascended. Honestly the author should think about writing a baseball or sports themed novel. It is that good.

FillDirtWantedFillDirtWanted6 months ago

LMAO when he hit him with the ball.

PencarrowPencarrow5 months ago
THE YIPS - WHAT HAPPENED TO LAUREN?

~

Quite a few commenters have said that Lauren was rewarded instead of punished, but I have to disagree.

~

Even after she ran off with the Marc Lavalamp equivalent, Lauren said she still loved Bryan (in the phone-call she made after the game Bryan’s team won and which was televised). Bryan’s response was to tell her to get help and sign the divorce papers. The inference I got from that exchange was that she really loved him, but her need to not be poor controlled her.

~

Now imagine how she must be feeling after Bryan and Mel are married and have a family. Bryan is earning 25 million buckazoids a year, and the sugar-daddy beefcake she ran off with is now broke. Although she has a new man in her life, I’d like to think that she hates herself for what she did and for how things turned out for Bryan. I think she may rue her decisions for the rest of her life, and perhaps ponder on the nature of Karma.

JuanTwoNoJuanTwoNo3 months ago

An amazing story well told.

grogers7grogers73 months ago

Wow! And you really know the game!

A_BierceA_Bierce3 months ago

It would be interesting to see what Plato would have to say about the yips (and whether Aristotle would disagree, as he did about Plato's dualism). For that matter, would yips fit into dualism? Mel would say that one should reserve such puzzling to important things such as congress and conjugation, but that may be Harvard Law speak.

huronbeachhuronbeach2 months ago

Thank you, a real story.

dgfergiedgfergie2 months ago

Second reading of a very good baseball story and of love and heartbreak and don't forget the YIPS! 5 stars

oldpantythiefoldpantythiefabout 1 month ago

Got to love the YIIPs that allowed the payback on one overinflated wife stealing POS. I'm not sure if I'm unhappy or not that Lauren wasn't burned for the way she treated Bryan, but I guess mental illness is it's own revenge. Yips is a great baseball story, even when the Astros got beat, with some sex and drama thrown. Like every story that's worth reading, this one deserves the five stars and a thanks.

nixroxnixrox25 days ago

5 stars - and a well wrtten story.

Well this is certainly a first for me, I actually enjoyed reading a story with a lot of baseball in the background.

Although, the constant references to witches and warlocks also added to increase my interest in this story.

Well done, and please keep writing.

Old_LionOld_Lion18 days ago

Great story. Well written. 5*

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userRobertaBob@RobertaBob
I write long fiction. When I run into a block, I pound out short erotica to get the mojo flowing.

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

The Yips Pt. 01 Previous Part
The Yips Series Info

SIMILAR Stories