Thirst Ch. 01

Story Info
A revolution against old, thirsty Vampires from below...
3.1k words
4.45
5.3k
6

Part 1 of the 15 part series

Updated 03/24/2024
Created 11/03/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Four nights ago, down at the river

By the standards of the normally rowdy syndicate, It had been a rather orderly gathering. Nobody showed up openly brandishing weapons or anything of that nature - both officially and within their still-beating hearts, Kindred blood shed on the balmy concrete, or bodies turning to ash were the last things anybody desired. She knew better, however, than to trust in the members' individual senses of propriety, and that was why they'd concentrated their petty hopes and dreams onto Monroe Carter as their representative. Not that she was complaining.

The thirty or so Kindred who'd come together on this night were as motley and differentiated a band as could be expected from those whose only real ties were death and servitude. Despite the segregation and censorship imposed by their 'betters', their hunting grounds 'leased' to them at the edges of their masters' domains and the loathsome blood tax they were forced to pay, they'd become a cohesive thing. The Cause had grown from little more than a whisper of rebellion, shared in near silence among those who lined up weekly to give Communion unto their dread rulers. Slowly it'd turned into secretive meetings where resistance to their individual vincula was slowly built among the gathered. Debates and lectures about "the Natural Rights of the Unnatural" stretching into the night forming the mental cornerstone that would become the fortress of their resistance.

Finally, it had come to this.

The bonds of servitude and death were surprisingly strong, enough to overcome divisions that had, more often than not, been purposefully placed there by their own Overseers. Vorath the Thricefold's old rivalry with Manny Vaull was once fierce enough to set their teeth gnashing in the other's presence; now they stood side by side. It was the same with Corra Wilson and Nettletongue; an unlikely jealousy between the two over a shared blood doll, given the scarcity of appropriate prey, had been replaced by something nearing as close to comity as could be found among the Dead.

Monroe stood at the head of the silent gathering of eclectic individuals, pulled from The City's rusted shadows here to meet the Overseer Committee as they returned from conclave with their own elders. The Red River, flowing like a fat, wriggling worm through downtown, out to Ashland Port and into the wine-dark, thrashing waters of the Gulf, was usually reserved for shipping liners carrying refined gas, steel, and other byproducts of the state's industrial blight. Such was the pull of the Overseers, however, that the waterways were cleared for their entry.

She was like a cold-forged, steel torch in the night, beat bright and unyielding against an icy anvil. A black bandana was tied around her forehead - something the syndicate's members all shared, whether worn on their arms or looped through a belt - holding her many-colored, gold clasped braids back in a complex knot. The dark green, midriff-length jacket worn over her torso was weighed down by the fire-hatchet within, her tool of choice in the regrettable event that negotiations failed and this became a violent confrontation; more than likely, given the different in age between the Overseer Committee's members and their own, it would be a savage rout. Still, seven against thirty was good odds, and they'd surely pull at least half the elders' number down with them.

Monroe was confident in herself, in the strength of the Cause. It was a crossbow bolt with a red-hot iron head, pointed threateningly at the hearts of their oppressors; their message would be heard, and their demands met.

For now, they were silent, waiting patiently. It wasn't your typical protest or picket like she was used to, with marching and signs, slogans shouted for cameras...that sort of thing wouldn't get through to the Elder Dead, who were beings of an earlier time. They intimately understood the balance of power, however, and the message would be entirely clear when the Overseers laid their eyes upon their servant-livestock, staring them down and wearing black, with Monroe leading them.

"Look," breathed Harlowe, pointing down toward the bay when the first glimmers of the luxury yacht's fog lights cut through the springtime haze of pollution and condensation. Although the gathered Dead barely moved, everyone felt it...that anxious pressure that preceded a confrontation with authority. That terror was understandable, though quieted by their unity and a certain understanding shared among The City's common vampires: if anyone was going to take the blame and end up an example, it was Monroe Carter. Rhymes with martyr. An old lover, long lost to the years, had once said that, and that's what she remembered instead of his (or her?) face.

To Monroe's Spartan sensibilities, the garish trappings of the superyacht showed how the Overseers, in their vast view of time, laid the trappings of the new over the old and familiar; while the massive boat was smooth and white, sleek and covered with blaring, soulless lights, their servants had gone through the trouble of carefully interweaving Tatarian Honeysuckle across the decks in bright, purple petaled magnificence. Bright red silk ribbon was intertwined among the railing. By its streamlined form, it was the most modern boat that old, musty money could buy; its spirit was that of the old pleasure barges of nobility whose largesse had, since the time of the Egyptian Old Dynasties and the Kings of Xia, been supported on the backs of the masses.

Now...for the grand act. "William," she called in her alto voice, muffled by the warm, foggy air. "You're up." She congratulated herself at resisting her inward giddiness; never had she sent a message of defiance such as this.

The hairless, fishy-fleshed man that hunched beneath his long, concealing coat obliged silently, stepping from the gathering and leaping into the river, barely disturbing it. When he emerged, he'd coiled one big, dripping end of the cold-forged iron chain fitted in Harlowe's Machine Shop around his torso. Its bright-green links were the size of a small box television, and in William's skinny, yet stunningly powerful arms, they dripped with the chemical-rich flow of the Red Rock River.

Little John, towering over everyone present with his gentle voice and boyish face; Melinda Arsanova, always dressed proper and presentable no matter the event; and Sherman, his arms thick like tree-trunks from feeding on this very dock's workers. They stepped forward and pulled hard on the chain, secured on other side of the river with a great iron stake Harlowe had shaped himself, and soon there was a neon-green painted barrier of links presented before the superyacht. One might look here and see an impossibility, four bedraggled oddities attempting to cut off the passage of a yacht, but Monroe knew them as some of the strongest Kindred in the city.

She waited with baited breath. Here, based on the whim of a dead thing hundreds of years her elder, the Brujah's whole plan could come tumbling apart...but there came the booming sound of a foghorn, and the yacht's forward wake churned a crimson foam in the Red Rock River as it slowed its ponderous, floating bulk to a halt. Another shaking, drawn out howl from the foghorn, like an indignant cry whale's cry.

The chain remained stretched taut across the river.

Minutes rolled by...nearly an hour, testing their resolve before the first of the Overseers deigned to make an appearance upon the deck. Monroe knew who it would be, before his over-long, pale fingers curled around the steel bar struck into the deckposts, fingernails clicking odiously against the side of the yacht. Vasco Isidoro was, in her view, the weakest of the Seven, and he reminded her of the guy from the insane asylum in Beauty and the Beast...you know the one. The man with the tonsure and stooped posture, the furry eyebrows. Vasco was also well dressed in his black, pinstripe suit, but he still looked like a bag of bones and spiders supported by its own conniving will.

His eyes were green like pea soup, and his voice had a similar wet quality. "A fine evening indeed to you, Siervos," Vasco called in a disarmingly cheerful tone, accented by his native Curitiba. His smile was entirely like that of some predatory lake fish's, concealing hundreds of needle-sharp teeth. "You all seem to have misplaced your charming, green chain, directly in our path...perhaps you require assistance recovering said chain, that your betters might be on their way?"

Isidoro's words were like a slow-falling, poisonous net; it was only after you looked behind his lips and saw the anxious malice squirming beneath that one felt uneasy. Monroe could feel the syndicate's members stirring uneasily in the line...authority had been so beaten into them by blood-bond and fear that each defiance was an act of desperate will on their parts. Stretching a harbor chain across the path of the barge along the river was more than a mere defiance.

"You ain't wrong," she answered, acting as their courage. Monroe Carter was loud enough to be heard above the din of The City's night hum, as well as the idling of the barge's engines. "We require your assistance but I'm afraid the chain stays until we're done here." She didn't flinch or even squint as one of the ship's lights swiveled down to shine upon her; if it was meant to intimidate and separate her, the spotlight had the opposite effect. Always had.

Vasco's thin, shiny lips drew wider across his long face, splitting to reveal where his fangs had grown in place of his incisors. She knew he was enraged, a creature set a whole class above and apart from them, but the lowest of his kind - and now, facing disobedience called siervos? Monroe could empathize, she also liked things to be orderly, and for that to happen all the moving parts had to work and obey. "My dear wards, certainly you understand the value of our time. Each moment's value eclipses your combined years as we work to keep you safe...protect your posthumous rights. To waste such a valuable vintage as ours, surely you can see both the folly and danger inherent in such a thing. Now...Would you care to release your chain?"

To drive the point home, Monroe took note of the ten or so men that stepped up to join him at the edge of the deck, pointing loaded M4s their way; clad in faceless, visored black helms, moving in perfect unison, these humans - maybe even ghouls - were the preferred servant for the Overseer Committee. Unquestioningly obedient, tied by their own addictions and contracts, they still didn't have what old vampires like Vasco and his ilk required: Kindred blood. That, of course, was their bargaining chip...if not her own trump card. "'Fraid not Mister Isidoro."

She smiled internally as he bristled; these older, dead things, they demanded the honor of titles even in this day and age from their Childer. "We tried your 'official channels'; we were stonewalled. We wrote to y'all, we signed petitions, and we even sent y'all messengers that you returned to us in them little wooden boxes. 'Member that?"

Behind her, Tucker growled under his breath. His best and only friend, the oldest member of his coterie, had been among those messengers returned to them as little more than finely ground ashes and bright, gleaming fangs. The icy lake of their fear cracked, thawed by memories of their own old resentments. Suddenly they weren't quite as afraid of those white-phosphorous bullets.

"A regrettable misunderstanding and little more of course. We would all hate for similar misunderstandings to happen over the matter of a mere green chain, especially since, as you know, the Oversee Committee dutifully handles petitions - "

"Yes yes, on individual basis, we have heard before," Old Vlacha gruffly complained.

"Yeah...you can think of this as somethin' more like us filing a class-action suit," Monroe put it out there in words that would disturb the corporatist in Isidoro. "That's why I'm speaking for everyone here with one voice, make sure there ain't no more 'misunderstandings' like there was, Mister Isidoro." The young Brujah got a kick out of the way his face shivered under that smile every time she called him that.

She didn't really need to say more for him to infer precisely what she meant; that they were prepared to enforce a blood picket, if their demands weren't met. That's what the consequence of 'misunderstanding' meant on their end, since they couldn't really challenge the Overseers with force and hope to succeed. The Overseers were old enough that the blood sustaining them had become a concentrated, unnatural thing of arcane fusions reliant on the unliving force of other Kindred; human blood, though a heady draught for any vampire, no longer sated them. That's why they kept the common Lick chained. Los Siervos.

To Monroe, who'd always chafed at being born at the bottom and struggling against the weight of those saw fit to keep her there, the irony of their unlives was how the clock was turned back at the leisure of older, more powerful Kindred...as if the liberties people had fought and died for were illusions, like the ones they'd woven to keep the Kine ignorant of the monsters drinking deep from their veins and souls. She was as unable to keep her mouth shut in death as she was in life, and the unfairness had become simply intolerable.

Isidoro's smile changed, leaving his eyes; the corners of his lips slackened. It gave him this leering, wild aspect, like a villain from a children's tale in her eyes. Monroe expected fear from those gathered, or for the wiley old Nosferatu to turn the power of the Blood against them, but nobody broke from the picket and the chain remained taut.

All according to plan.

"Miss Carter, I would like to suggest once more...that Mister William, Mister Jonathon, Miss Arsanova and Master Sherman release their grip on their misplaced chain and make way."

Isidoro raised a hand and the safeties were simultaneously clicked off on the pale-flame rounds pointed their way; international language of terror. A few gasps of reticence and sounds of hesitation rose unbidden from the gathered Dead, and they wavered. The seconds seemed to drag on during the standoff, just as Monroe planned, and at just the right time, before everyone's eyes, she broke the tension.

"We're tired of being your serfs," she said, blunter than creatures like Isidoro were used to.

The phosphorus-loaded M4s remained pointed their way; she could feel one of the Overseers' soldiers, looking down his reticle and pointing right at her heart, and although the Beast's instinctive aversion to Final Death clawed echoing and squealing in the back of her throat, she continued. "We're tired of you drainin' us to the bone while we can barely get by on the dry, over-policed barrens you expect us to trough in."

"I almost fell into torpor last week after Lady Shira took her tithe," called little Samara Green, bedraggled and rain soaked slip of a thing. "You think it's easy for someone like me to hunt out there?" She pointed upriver, far back toward the smokestacks still working into the night. "They barely have enough people working third shift for me to feed on, and there's something crawling in the gutters."

"Yeah!" shouted Tucker, a fellow Brujah who had a loose grip on his Beast than she. "When you're not ashing us for trying to talk to you, you aren't even protecting us from the stuff in our hunting grounds!"

Monroe didn't let herself smile, but victory stirred in her heart as their complaints filled the air, overcoming their collective dread for the Nosferatu.

"Your friends shipped my job to Mexico and I got evicted!"

"I still haven't gotten compensated for the storm damage to my haven, the roof is caving in - there's a fucking beam of sunlight shining in the middle of my living room!"

"A pack of Lupines moved into my turf!"

Soon their voices were raised in a cacophony of rising anger, indignance at their lot channeled through Monroe and upward above the smog. The traditions of the syndicate were born during the French Revolution, when many pale lords and ladies the Overseers had once known personally were put to the stake just as readily as the guillotine; their fear was born from personal experience. Isidoro himself had come close to having his head stuck through a little window, and based on his better judgment lowered his hand.

Without a word he disappeared from the deck. The rifles were still pointed their way as the syndicate's voice rose, a cacophony that signaled clear as the murderous light of day: there were only two choices here as Monroe had presented them.

The first, the most tried and true and obvious, was to simply fire upon the syndicate's members and scatter the survivors back to their corners and miserable little havens. The truly, finally dead would be annihilated by burning rounds, atrophied organs turning to ash and scattering before sunrise. Bloody monsters' tears would be shed both for their loss and out of despair for their unchanged state.

The second was, of course, a far harder pill to swallow: to step down from the pedestal of exclusivity, of elite entitlement, and negotiate with lessers, for in the end Monroe held one truth over the elders' heads:

The greater parasites required the lesser ones for sustenance, while the lesser ones required the protection of the hoarier, longer-toothed Kindred. Some of them were even their Sires, having sung the first notes of their Requiems in the wind. A great, dysfunctional family devouring itself from head to toe like a grotesque, rotten snake, dressed up in faded silks and tarnished ornaments.

As before, the Overseers made them wait, this time under the threatening rifle barrels of their gendarmes. All eyes were on Monroe, waiting for her to flinch, but she simply stood her ground. Waited

The minutes passed, tension dilating them into hours before, with a sound of grinding metal, a ramp was slowly lowered from the superyacht toward the concrete levies upon which Monroe stood. Isidoro reappeared, and with a wordless gesture, split his palm open. The red of his blood spilled into the river - a universally recognized guarantee of safety.

Although she never showed it, striding up the ramp, her converses clanking with each step, a relief greater than any she'd known drained the tension from her unliving muscles. I win...this first battle, anyway.

When she walked free, it would be carrying the prize she'd set her attentions upon, unwaveringly. Greater rights and freedoms...fuller bellies and warmer beds during the daytime. A revolution that would be won without spilling a drop of blood.

None that would be seen, anyway.