All Comments on 'Thirty Minutes'

by Ntropy586

Sort by:
  • 122 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
It's been a while

We could have waited while you wrote a real story. This was more like a paragraph or two and it was as stupid as hell. It's "burn the secretary" now? Real macho bullshit. We get a lot of pleasure out of people bullying silly secretaries. What a couple of asses. Author too for writing this crap.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
@IT'S BEEN A WHILE

It isn't bullying. This happens in real life and is what happens when you can't follow simple orders. It wasn't her place to think, it was her place to follow instructions to the letter.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Fair

She didn't respect that his instructions were valid and assumed she knew best with overriding his desires.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
thank you

now if you could just write a flash story about these idiots that ruin people life on social media because they like some your commenters know what you should write and know what's best for every body except themselves.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Real Life

In the workplace, when you don't do what you're told to do and are expected to do , you're gone. Life is as simple as that.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveover 8 years ago
Interesting

Carolyn disobeyed her immediate supervisor. There is your cause for dismissal.

Obviously, she was trying to repair the damage done by her bosses wife, who obviously cheated. Friends can intervene, subordinates have to follow rules. No muss. No fuss. Bye, Car'

tazz317tazz317over 8 years ago
DOES IT OCCUR TO ANYONE

that Mr Stark may be involved. TK U MLJ LV NV

c24jc24jover 8 years ago
Yes, it's bullying

She called the wife back AFTER work. During work hours, she adhered to her boss's instructions. The author was clear on that. Unless there was a compelling need for corporate secrecy, she may not have been obligated to follow such instructions. In fact, if such instructions of a personal nature made her feel uncomfortable it can even be a form of harassment.

Even Stark admits -- "What you had to do," Mr. Stark retorted, "was do what is expected of you at work." Note the last five words. Note the last two words. He KNOWS she did nothing wrong, and is trying to cover himself if he has to go to court. He can quote his exact words, but then fudge a little bit about misunderstanding when she actually called Mrs Snow. BUT HE STILL MAY BE WRONG.

Note that her boss commanded her to keep secret things that we SUSPECT are of a personal nature, but we don't know for sure. We do not know the legalities involved. If he's molesting children, if he's cheating, if he's selling drugs, if he's selling trade secrets, if he's stealing money that was his wife's family, if he's bleeding money from his children's college account . . . some of this is legal, some questionable, some very illegal . . . regardless . . . if he's doing anything NON-business related and she knows it, he does not have the right to tell her to keep his whereabouts and actions secret and not to talk to anyone about it. If there is even a hint of impropriety, not only is he in trouble, Stark's in big trouble too. In fact, with a decent attorney, she is rehired with a good settlement, and both her boss and Stark are at the very least, put on probation . . . possibly fired. A business's employees (a business resource) are not there for personal use and advancement (which this may well be).

Anony . . . I'm a bit worried about your misunderstanding not only what constitutes bullying, but what is harassment and possibly downright illegal.

Good work on the part of the author. I think he/she caught a lot of misogynists on this one!! Cleverly enough written to get one on the side of the bad guys.

tazz317tazz317over 8 years ago
THIS IS A CLASSIC EXAMPLE

the messenger is in for a world of Deep Doggy Du-du. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
could be cause for reprimand, not necessarily dismissal

stick to what you know betrayed - smoking cocks and eating creampies like all closetcuckys - leave the big thinking to the adults.

c24jc24jover 8 years ago
In fact the more I think about it . . .

The more I think about it, Stark's the one who's really in trouble. Mr. Snow could claim truthfully that he did indeed ask Carolyn not to pass on any calls at work, but he understood that anything else was personal, and that he had no control there. He could then claim how upset he was with Stark for abusing his secretary in this way, and that of course he'd want his wife put through in an emergency.

The company removes, demotes, or transfers Stark for harassment and seriously overstepping his authority. Snow is promoted to Stark's previous position.

Very clever move on the part of Snow, his wife, and his secretary to get a seriously arrogant bully out of his position, and advance the careers of Snow and his secretary!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
What a cunt you are, c24j

You write a diatribe about her boss, assuming he could be involved in all sorts of nefarious activities, when we know, because it is in the Loving Wives section of Literotica, that his cunt wife cheated on him, and that he can't get away from her fast enough.

He has just as good a case for a lawsuit against the secretary for "unintentional infliction of emotional distress" for breaking his confidences and causing him undue stress from his soon-to-be-ex wife harassing him by phone and in person to get her to return to him. Maybe the secretary doesn't have serious money, but maybe she's married and has bought a house with her husband which she can surrender.

But what can you expect from a cunt whose favorite story is about a woman who cheats on her husband on the occasion of their fifth anniversary?

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
CEO is a pussy, cock sucker and is probably that Snow guy's mentor, hence his actions.

Losers with executive's lack of character, sounds familiar to me having endured that kind of BS as a project manager that makes shit happen and avoided dealing with assholes like the 2 "so-called" men in this scenario. I hope Mrs. Snow got to take hubby for a financial ride with the divorce.

FD45FD45over 8 years ago
C24J

Yes, all the things you posit as what he MIGHT be guilty of, could constitute a real danger to HIS WIFE.

Did you take two seconds to turn that around? What if HIS WIFE was a danger to HIM? What if, for example, he was the bitch in the relationship and if his emotionally stronger and abusive wife could browbeat and enforce her will on him and this was his desperate attempt to get away? What if he was so emotionally distraught that he was contemplating suicide if he saw her ONE LAST GODDAMN TIME.

And she gleefully handed the wife the keys to the kingdom. If it were some wife getting away from a husband she was avoiding, would you be so resolute in your condemnation? Somehow I think not.

Honestly, I have ZERO problem with the actions of the secretary. If she thought it was for the greater good, God bless her! She should follow her sense of morality.

HOWEVER, just like any do gooder, she better be willing to bear the consequences! She choose sides and it was NOT the side of her boss nor the company.

Company information is company information. Does the company have a right to expect a modicum of loyalty from the people who butter her bread? Somehow she could empathize with the wife, but she IGNORED the emotional devastation in the husband?

Unlike keeping corporate secrets, fixing their marriage was not her job. She was paid no money for it. And if the reaction of the husband is to be inferred, he was NOT a tiny step from reconciliation. If she shows no loyalty to him, why should either he or the boss show any loyalty to her?

impo_61impo_61over 8 years ago
I agree 100% with @FD45...That's why I rated this 4*...

I agree 100% with @FD45...That's why I rated this 4*... The PA didn't know the real reasons about the divorce and about his tranfer...She worked for him and not for his wife...Her loyalty was to her boss and her company, not to the wife...It doesn't matter who the guilty one for the divorce was!!! In the eyes of the Company today she had given that information, tomorrow what important information would she be willing to tell to anyone? As @FD45 says: "she better be willing to bear the consequences! She choose sides and it was NOT the side of her boss nor the company...". 4*

sugnasugnaover 8 years ago
Strange

Not really a short story, sort of part of a story. Without inferring all kinds of possibilities, there really isn't much to this other than burning a meddling woman.

bruce22bruce22over 8 years ago
Multi faceted flash tale

Amen FD45!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago

A good story about the importance of trustworthiness and respect.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
2*s

You are going to post a story when??

AMerryman

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Talented

Nice. When you have talent, you don't need to attempt to conceal its lack in pages of filler like many LIT "authors".

sbrooks103sbrooks103over 8 years ago
Only A Three

What would have pushed it to a 4 would have been hearing about what happened AFTER she gave the ex the info.

What if when the ex saw the ex-hubby one of them killed the other and/or themselves?

Then the PA could have THAT on her conscience!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
If you don't read the author's introduction you won't understand why this was written.

And if you have to read something outside the story to understand what's in the story then, obviously, the story is not a free standing work. So if this story confused you its because the author decided to report what happened without including why it happened, how it happened, or why anyone should care what happened. So while I sympathize with the author's goals I have to agree that the story by itself is confusing and pointless. Unless you are into reading scenario's in HR seminars and discussing what was the proper response to the employee's behavior. OK, all you dweebs who masturbated to this story, please go get a life!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
FUNNY NTROPY586

Judging by the posted stories .

Your next one is due about 2019 or 2020. I'm happy to wait,lol.

AMerryman

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
5 * - short and to the point

FD45 and Impo_61 make some great points in their comments. The one thing I would add and feel that has been over looked so far, is that Carolyn was also a self delusional busybody!

The fact she didn't know why the Snow's separated, is a major factor in this story and shows she and her direct boss were not really friends but just work associates, hence her lack of being told what was going on in the Snow's personal life.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
This is silly

She's fired "for cause" because of what she did after she was home from work? For calling a friend "after work"? This could cause Bossman some trouble the first time her next employer gets a bad reference.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
The story is ?

What an idiot ! 1

where is the fucking zero??

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Wait

I own my co. And if this happened I'd have fired her ass too. When you hire someone your paying for there respect and trust. If your child did something you told them not to do you would punish them enough said .

BriteaseBriteaseover 8 years ago
Liked it

because it was different. made me think.

Jetcrash747Jetcrash747over 8 years ago
Opps

The PA was not in the the marriage, she followed her bosses instructions during work, but couldn't let her dream couple die peacefully. After work on her own time lobs a grenade into the not so loving couples life. The PA got what she deserves.

FD45FD45over 8 years ago
Why was she fired?

She was fired because she was directly ordered by her boss to NOT give any information specifically to his ex wife.

If, for example, she had NOT been given this order, and had called the wife, she would be in a slightly more morally murky place. She is still taking sides.

If he had said "I don't want to talk to her'. She would have been fine legally if she discussed this after work.

HOWEVER, that was not her instructions. Tell her nothing except she was not allowed to transfer his wife's calls. This puts her in violation of her job description. Just because she goes home, she is not allowed to disclose company financials or the new secret formula just because she is 'off the clock'.

And even more importantly...how comfortable do you feel working with someone who is willing to give your personal information out to your enemy? Just because they asked. She was told a secret...and she violated that secret.

Honestly, she was on thin ice when she talked about his phone number. But as soon as she gave away CORPORATE information, i.e. the apartment and the business number)...she was toast.

My opinion.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
There is no story here.

'Nuff said!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
legal ?

Most companies have a complicated termination process. Short of theft, corporate espionage or physical assault her firing would be questionable. Laying her off because her boss was transferring would be another matter. Also in today'so litigeous world good or bad references are rare. Additionally if Carolyn has any friends or relatives in the legal profession at best the company will be settling a nuisance lawsuit at worst a nasty jury trial with an uncertain outcome.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Poorly researched writing is BAD writing

No, an employer cannot control the personal life of an employee, unless the actions taken in said personal life are unlawful. So an employer can fire you for using illegal drugs outside of your hours of employment, but not for talking to a friend.

Here's a note to all the poor writers who post here - if you're going to write about legal issues, ASK AN ATTORNEY! Or at least do some basic research on the Web. Poorly researched writing is BAD writing!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Wrong catagory

Nothing erotic about this 1* story. Give it up...this story sucks.

Rhsc1Rhsc1over 8 years ago
I Followed

Everything right up until the part where she was terminated for cause. I think that could be a bit dicey. Probably in the real world, she would have been given an opportunity to resign and references for job performance would have been given...just a bit too vindictive. Plus, she would have been terminated by her boss...Snow.

Good story...just not very real.

bonnietaylor2bonnietaylor2over 8 years ago
dear annony hasb't written a fucking thing here and yet IT thinks It has the ability to tell others how to write

Get a life first asshole of LIT and try writing a story under your name not annony! Eat shit and die you pig old man.

OneShotOneOneShotOneover 8 years ago
At will states

In at will states an employer can fire an employee for no reason or any reason. As long as the reason is not based on race creed color etc..

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
WTF

What is the purpose of this story? Please don't write another story, this is 5 minutes of my life I won't get back. I wish Literotica would have a section called " Don't Waste Your Time Stories" this story would fit in perfectly.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Well that set off the legal eagles!

An interesting FICTIONAL story! I think sometimes the commentators forget that this is fiction. Right, wrong or indifferent, it's a story. Not badly written, but I have a couple of points. I do think this was the wrong category (Yeah I know, what's the difference where it's posted?) since there really wasn't anything erotic or sexy in it and the loving wife was really an aside. The second issue I have is the termination issue. Since she gave the information to his wife AFTER hours, she may have cause for a lawsuit against the company. But that would take an attorney, a lawsuit and a Judge. The Company might want to pay her something and promise a good reference just to make her go away. Lawsuits in Court, whether it's in front of a Judge or a jury, can be a dicey affair. You never know what damages a jury might award, especially if her attorney was able to seat a sympathetic jury. The Company could lose a lot of money.

2 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Dear BonnieTaylor2

I haven't seen any story written by you so why don't you take your own advice write a story of your life if you have one or eat the shit you spew out and die, bitch.

bonnietaylor2bonnietaylor2over 8 years ago
nice try asshole but I have stories on here under another name. So you're wrong again!!!

or should I say as usual. All you do is bitch like the fag youa re. And BTW asshole of LIT I gave this a big old 5

daMile23TdaMile23Tover 8 years ago
Fucking god, bonnie!

Do you fucking LIVE on this site?

Every time I come here the comments page is plastered with your bullshit, every hour, day or night! Go out, get a job, get laid! GET A FUCKING LIFE!

You need serious, professional help!

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
1*

For bonnietaylor2/vastiesmith2

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Wrong Category

This was non-erotic as there was not even a mention of any infidelity, let alone any discussion of any sexual activity. Writers do need to give us a fair chance to read those story categories we choose.

bonnietaylor2bonnietaylor2over 8 years ago
i have a life asshole of LIT. It's my life's work to

help the writers on here against you unfair votes and nasty ass comments. Your raves and rants will be replied to everything I'm on here and se an unfair vote or nasty ass comment. I will help these writers get a decent score asshole of LIT! Every fucking time. So why don't you just shut the fuck up and leave people alone. Report this asshole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C_frommnC_frommnover 8 years ago
Well

Written She took it upon herself to look the other way then Expect to be Forgive and Forget because she just knew they belong together. BAH

vastiesmith2vastiesmith2over 8 years ago
5 for Bonnie Taylor

go suck a cock dear annnony

steven857steven857over 8 years ago
Please check first

FYI. If one goes to the Small Buniness Administration website "SBA.gov" The site lists some valid reasons for employees to be terminated. Giving out personal information about an employee such as phone number, address or and even confirming employement (if you are not authorized) is consider a valid reason for termination. Furthermore if one is employed in a right to work state, employment is at will.

FYI the storyteller also says this is a "flash story" and that is just what it is a flash story.

chytownchytownover 8 years ago
Thanks***

For the story.

MbgdallasMbgdallasover 8 years ago
Awful company and asshole former boss.

Since there is no excitement or sex in this the only way to rate this is on storyline and contact. If I knew of a company that had so little regard for their employees I would never do any business with them. Should she be reprimanded... Yes. Terminated... No. And the former boss who obviously reported her is just an asshole. Employee moral at this place must be extremely low!

Stupid story and even worse that someone may write this thinking it was appropriate.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
BTB with collateral damage

Talk about vindictiveness ..

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
re: Awful company and asshole former boss.

Did you read the story? She was given a direct order. There was no ambiguity about it, and she violated it. Termination was the only rational and logical response.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Wrong Category

Belongs in Non Erotic category, or perhaps on a different site, altogether.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago

It's hilarious to read the clueless housewives discuss employment, not understanding what revealing privileged information means as a major ethics violation. Or what liabilities follow from not following set processes.

gordo12gordo12over 8 years ago
Wrong Category

I'm not sure how you would get EXTRA MARITAL FUN out of this story to justify it in LW. 2*

Interesting tale but it belonged elsewhere.

bonnietaylor2bonnietaylor2over 8 years ago
Fantastic . period

gave you a 5 for a great LW story

Rhsc1Rhsc1over 8 years ago
Just Read

Your other stories written several years ago...welcome back...hope you stick around and write more...maybe a sequel/conclusion to "Hook, Lie and Sinker"? Never the less, hope you will write more. This little ditty certainly made for lively discussion.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Total crap!

What are you trying to tell us with that talk between a president and a secretary?

A completely uninteresting and meaningless bla bla bla!

And then there is again that shithead bonnytyler. Can someone move her into the trash where she belongs to, please?

MattblackUKMattblackUKover 8 years ago
I think we need the rest of the story

Another several chapters should do it.

LickideesplitLickideesplitover 8 years ago
@MGBDallas

Read into the story just a little. Hubby coulda conducted an illicit liaison at the current site until caught. So, that's NOT what happened. His Sweetie(?) was caught doing something absolutely unforgivable. Whatever it was, it was bad enough that Hubby transferred away and wanted ALL contact to be between his lawyer and her lawyer! His (trusted?) PA thwarted that process ... her loyalty was to Sweetie, even though Sweetie was not her employer!

ANY business which, or administrator who, tolerated such insubordination would collapse very soon!

frontlinecasterfrontlinecasterover 8 years ago
As usual

"Flash story" is code for a lazy, half baked, cliche scene only here to lap up there praises of the anon btb cowards and their bitter old men allies. With a heaping helping of acorn for women thrown into the comments, because other than being closeted, bisexual wannabe cuckolds, that's one thing that unified anonymous cowards and btb authors together, a barely concealed disdain for women.

1 star for not bothering with a story, characters or anything remotely erotic.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
time to ban the homo hydra

Haven't read the story yet, but will. Lit needs to ban vasty-bonny-frontline. One ip addy should rid us of all three.

frontlinecasterfrontlinecasterover 8 years ago
Actually

Anons regularly post more than once, it's remarkably way to do with a simple proxy server or other means of making our spoofing an IP. Professional websites block these methods easily, but as I've said before lit wants the anon trolls because those are more page views for their ads.

Want proof? Watch even someone as illiterate and stupid as duna or whatever he calls himself now past anonymously five or six times in a row copy/pasting the same blocks of gibberish each time and lit do nothing about it.

And I don't think all anons are the same person. I think most are a small group of people who don't actually constitute the majority of readers they claim to. I also think they can ask be generalized in this section as closeted bisexual wannabe cuckolds who know that they are too sexually inadequate to ever get a wife to cuckold them so they live vicariously through stories then get all mad and have to reassert their "masculinity" by shouting and ranting and emailing me to call me a "hung oup faget" whatever that means because they can't handle how much they wish they could just such a cock. Not just anons, mind you, some named accounts like duna, before his ban, zed, palewriter, and a few others are in the same boat. But they aren't anonymous cowards, so they aren't a cancer in this site.

Positive anons should still be banned, as frankly should spammers like bonnietaylor. But any of that would require work on the part of Laurel and cut into this sites page views.

(And now, let the countdown begin to someone accusing me of /being/ Laurel despite regularly calling this site a lazily run mess.)

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Actually frontlinecaster is an ass clown

And, this story is a lawsuit waiting to happen. Oh, my God! An authority figure has issued an "ORDER." We should fall all over ourselves! Why didn't the chickenshit "boss" handle his own personal business? It was illegal and unethical for the chickenshit to order his PA to deal with his wife. If he didn't want to talk to her, he could get a restraining order, not order his PA to not put her calls through. When he gave the illegal directive and then his "BOSS" enforced it by firing her, they both lost their jobs and the company paid tens of thousands of dollars in her wrongful termination lawsuit. Any attorney would love to get their hands on this case. "Don't put my wife's calls through" is not confidential business information. It's illegal and unprofessional behavior on the part of the chickenshit that won't handle his own problems. Stupid story that wasn't even a story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
I thoroughly enjoyed this little missive....

.....primarily, because it reflected a little dose of reality into the star-filled eyes of those that think the world would be a better place, if everyone simply did what they (in the opinion of these ne'er-do-wells) recommend....if it stopped there, it might be tolerable, but when they undertake to interfere, trouble commences and runs on for months.

I actually had a situation somewhat similar to this, but instead of a marital breakup, it was a stalker. A third party thought it best to share information that the entire staff had been enjoined from sharing with anyone.

When the victim's situation worsened and they were attacked, they filed suit against the company, because an employee had violated a lawful restraining order by having specific communication with the stalker. The employee was found out, fired and prosecuted. The stalker/attacker was jailed, then prosecuted and sentenced and sent to prison, the victim hospitalized, then recovering moved out of state......and the world moved on.

This was an interesting peripheral view of how meddlers often ruin a good getaway. I'd like to see it expanded to include the other parts of the peripheral story.....the story never told, but rather assumed.....and to make it whole.

Why? Because this approach is practically alone in the vast sea of rehashed stories here. Anything different and well written deserves a lot more attention and a chance to grow.

Thank you.

Please consider adding to this. I find it unique in all Literotica and far more interesting than the acerbic and monotonic BTB stories, or the maudlin and endless cuck rewrites.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
There's someone who doesn't know employment law

No idea where s/he got the idea that stupid disobedience is *not* grounds for firing, but it certainly can be. And yes, I do hire and occasionally fire people.

A failure to obey an explicit and legitimate instruction from your boss, and willfully and deliberately doing the exact opposite in direct defiance of such an instruction, certainly constitutes gross insubordination. The actor in this story did not misunderstand the instruction, she chose to defy it. And then admitted doing so to a third party (the CEO).

That is termination for cause in any company I have worked in, including the F15's.

Would I actually terminate a PA for it ? Possibly.

I can say with confidence that if the PA admitted to doing the exact opposite of their instructions, to the extent in this story, and I did terminate that PA, H.R. would back me completely. There is no amount of "corrective feedback" or whatever the firm might call it that would fix deliberate defiance.

And besides, in this case, the PA disclosed personal information the she was not authorized to. That is, almost always, separately grounds for termination as well.

At the least, I'd toss that PA back into the pool, but it's questionable who would want a PA that disobedient. Their future in this firm would be bleak at best.

A brief tale, well told, thank you.

Tw0Cr0wsTw0Cr0wsover 8 years ago
re: a lawsuit waiting to happen

Yes it is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

A lawsuit against her.

Disclosing private information as she did is a violation of laws protecting the privacy of employees.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Dumb shitkicker

@someone who doesn't know employment law. Yes, it's you. I actually happen to be a labor attorney. The anonymous commenter is actually right. The problem is, "Don't put my wife's calls through because she's a cheater" is not a legitimate business demand. It's a personal matter outside the purview of the business. The moment that instruction was given, the matter became actionable. Any subsequent actions or reactions are immaterial. The instruction had nothing to do with ordinary and usual business practice and constituted an intolerable burden on the PA

Supervisors are strictly limited as to what orders they are permitted to give to subordinates. "Suck my cock" is an unambiguous and direct order. It will also land the supervisor giving it in jail and any action resulting from that illegal order is the responsibility of the one issuing the demand. Don't talk about things you don't have a clue about. I would love to take this case.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Who doesn't have a job affected by privacy laws?

It would seem to be obvious which people do not know any of the privacy laws. I don't know them all but I do know the general rule of thumb is that any personal information that is not available in a public forum (e.g. name/number/address published in public or corporate phone book), you can't give it out. It doesn't matter if you do it during work hours or not. In one case, all I had to prove was that a certain person had accessed the billing information of a certain phone number. There was no business reason for that person to access that information (it sure helps if the person denies accessing any of the information and the ex-husband knows who is the ex-wife's friend at the phone company). Assuming corporate housing info is not available to the general public and it is being used for a temporary private residence, then giving that out is probably a violation of privacy laws (the ones that affect me, anyway). Punishment could be anything from verbal reprimand to termination/prosecution.

I liked the comment about what would happen if it was a man stalking a woman. Many people would consider that to be a bad thing but in this story, it is a woman stalking a man and that apparently isn't as bad for some people...

mike9698mike9698over 8 years ago
a lot of stupid

going on here. not the story, just all the comments. the facts are that different states have different laws for employment. in my state kentucky, you can fire anyone for just about anything. yes there are some exemptions but not a whole lot. race being one of them. we had someone get fired for posting something dumb on facebook. violated corp. policy. the only problem her ex boss's might run into is the for cause part. then they wont have to pay her unemployment. hell the laws in this state are so fucked up the age of consent is actually 16 not 18.

frontlinecasterfrontlinecasterover 8 years ago

Love how long everyone is spending arguing over this stupid, worthless non-story.

The author clearly doesn't care about justifying what is happening, so why should anyone waste their time worrying about whether it's 'realistic' or not. It's just an excuse for a bunch of bitter old men to feel superior and for a bunch of internet tough guy anons (who are all also closeted bisexual wannabe cuckolds, naturally) to heap scorn on women. Why worry about the details if it's doing it's job there?

ctmale46ctmale46over 8 years ago

Not the most interesting story, but still well written. The woman was honest, but stupid. The big boss followed labor law to the letter by specifically asking poignant questions that could not be misconstrued in a lawsuit. I appreciate accuracy and factual content as much as a the story line.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Unsatisfying

Cold, correct and unfeeling. Yes, she was wrong ethically, but, as she clearly new the couple well enough to believe the we're perfect together, she was at least human. Yes, she should have got together with the wife, and maybe acted as a go between. I feel a bit sorry for the writer.

c24jc24jover 8 years ago
I believe many of you missed the point of my arguments . . .

Her reasoning is irrelevant.

She was ordered not to put through calls from the wife. During work hours, she followed those orders.

They can not order her to protect or harm aspects of their (or her friends') personal lives outside the job. Note that Stark was very careful to use the words 'at work'. This was good writing, because in court (if it ever went that far), he (and the company) are in real trouble if he indicated that she also had to do this in her private life.

Whether she was a busy body or not is irrelevant.

--She followed her work instructions.

--They bullied her, and actually, worse . . .

--Two men ordering a woman in a lower position to protect and keep secret parts of their personal lives when she's not at work IS a form of sexual harassment. Firing her caps it. If you've sat through those classes, especially the ones for management, you all know this.

Whether we want her to protect Mr. Snow or not . . . that's the reality. A good attorney, or even an average attorney and a conscientious company, and Stark and Snow are both toast (and Stark, at least as written, seems to know it).

Now I understand a lot of you hate what she did, and that's fine. I'd sure want her to keep that stuff secret if it were me . . . but I can't threaten her job over things I want in my personal life. I shouldn't involve her in the first place.

Reading some responses, I can't help thinking that it's tragic how often people will allow prejudice and emotion to override common decency. Kudos to this writer for bringing forth such a situation, and providing a personal test of sorts. Even when emotionally and on a visceral level we side with Snow and Stark, do we have the analytical ability and integrity to stand up for what's right?

c24jc24jover 8 years ago
Good examples from steve and Mike but especially Anony with 'Dumb shitkicker'

Steve857 what you said is true, but this is not a solicitation from someone (or entity) unknown. This was a very personal order. Mike, the State by State thing is true (which was why in one place I worked, it was great to be next door to a Federal Building that included a specific discrimination section . . . it was easy to get advice and bump things up the ladder if required). Sometimes it's more than State differences . . . it can have a lot to do with visibility of the company, determination on the part of the person complaining, etc.

Anony 1/04 (with the 'Dumb shitkicker' comment title) described it the way I understood some of the stuff we were taught in those various training films . . . there are some orders you really can't give. I know if I'd done what Stark and Snow did, there is one job that would definitely have fired me, and two others that would probably have reprimanded and disciplined me (though I was never as high up as Stark) . . . what Anony pointed out that I hadn't realized was the extent of her rights on the job. Anony's example - very direct though it was - really illustrated it well.

FD45FD45over 8 years ago
C24j

I think you are wrong.

How to prove it? Okay. I call your work. I want your phone number and address. Why? I am not saying why. Wife didn't say why. For all the secretary could know, wife was going to do a Glenn Close on her ex husband.

Do you think that your co-worker should give me your PERSONAL INFORMATION like your address or phone number period? Are you okay with Becky down the hall just openly telling your phone number or address to any askers?

Does it matter if it is after hours or not? If you think it is okay, send me your real name and the phone number of your work by email so I can give it a try.

If, as a sensible human being, you thought that last suggestion was nonsense and beyond the pale, or an intrusion into your personal life, well, you would be correct. It would also be illegal. I don't care where she told the information.

javmor79javmor79over 8 years ago
It isn't illegal to give out a phone number

But it is frowned upon. It isn't something that a person can be fired for. I agree with c24j. This secretary has a case for wrongful termination. She would be handsomely rewarded in court.

If being a busybody was reason for termination there would be a lot more pink slips being issued.

c24jc24jover 8 years ago
Read Anony 1/04 (the one titled Dumb shitkicker) comment

FD45 - I'm not explaining this well . . . Read Anony's post. It's one thing not to give out personal information to unknown outsiders . . . however, when a boss essentially states, 'don't put my wife's calls through because she's a cheater', it falls outside the purview of the business. There are limits to what a boss can order a subordinate to do, and because this particular order had to do with the boss's personal life, it fell outside those limits and was 'actionable'. Anony describes it much better than I. I KNOW I'd have been in deep trouble if I'd given such an order any place I'd worked (though in two places we were high visibility and the press and attorneys were often on the lookout for opportunities).

Further, comparing giving out phone numbers to unknown solicitors on one hand, to ordering a subordinate to take sides in a personal matter on the other, is really apples to oranges, which I think many will realize if you think about it.

Interestingly, when we had to watch various instructional films on employee-cilient / employee-employee / supervisor-subordinate / harassment etc. etc. behavior, I generally thought what they were teaching was silly, because inappropriate actions seemed so painfully obvious. From reading comments here, I can see a large number of people seem blind to what would constitute trying to force an employee to take sides in a personal issue outside the company, and I even sense a blindness to what constitutes bullying and harassment.

FD45FD45over 8 years ago
My first comment disappeared, so I will try again.

For me, it comes down to two points.

Is the boss allowed to order his subordinate to restrict access to himself? Of COURSE! That is part of the role of secretary! If he is brainstorming or in a meeting, he is perfectly able to say 'Don't put any calls through.'. WHY is irrelevant. Whether he thinks the CEO of Teledyne is an asshole or he thinks his wife is a whore, he is, as her boss, allowed to tell her what she is or is not allowed to put through...or disclose.

The other thing is personal data. I was wincing at the phone number. Privacy is a very fragile thing. I was grimacing at the address. Does this secretary know if this woman is a later day Glenn Close? I can at least hang up a phone. My ADDRESS?!? Who the fuck gives out addresses unsolicited?

In the military, at the doctor, on insurance forms, I am constantly requested to allow my personal data to be examined, input or transferred. Yet with all this paperwork, I am to believe it is legal for her to TAKE SIDES and give out an address on her own?

I believe the point can be debated, but I believe I have the stronger argument.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
ASTONISHING !!

I don't understand why so much commentary is being wasted here on labor law.

Maybe I do. It is much more interesting than the story.

Ntropy586 didn't write a story. He wrote a law class brief. A teaching scene.

Come on people! On an erotic(porn) site. He must be laughing his ass off!!

I come here for the entertainment !!

You guys shouldn't take this so seriously.

If it takes Ntropy five years to write something this poor. I'll be happy to wait five more years for his next post,lol.

AMerryman

c24jc24jover 8 years ago
FD45 - Please read Anony's post that I referred to

FD45 - Please read Anony's post that I referred to, and check with another labor attorney. It's not really matter for debate. Just check it out.

Maybe this explanation helps . . . Of course a boss (or business) can have a policy of not giving out personal information to outsiders or non-related clients. I have no argument there.

The difference is that this is the boss's wife. If 3 months ago, he was fine with information being shared with his spouse (or relative) but today he doesn't want to talk to them FOR PERSONAL REASONS, he is essentially ordering the subordinate to take his side in a personal matter, outside of business activities. This puts undue stress on the employee. A boss can not make such demands of a subordinate, and now his demand is actionable. In court, he's screwed. He changed policy for a personal reason, and has ordered the subordinate (who was friends with both) to take his side. If you're ever in a similar situation, I beg you, don't take any similar action . . . you could lose a lot, and possibly damage your company's reputation.

Now if company policy was that no family member was ever allowed to contact any employee for any reason, during work hours he might have a case (though it would be weak, since her contact was after work hours). Of course, if that were the case, he wouldn't have needed to make the demands of her that he did. If you think Anony's reasoning was wrong, please check with a labor attorney. I know that what Anony said agreed with most of what we were instructed in dealing with those we work with and supervise (at two places I've worked).

Legally, Stark and Snow are hosed.

fausttusfausttusover 8 years ago
a question of law

Mr Snow was transferred so no longer her boss. His instructions no longer matter.

Stark is hosed and hosed big time. At least on that point.

But most businesses have a non disclosure of personnel information clause. If this company has that she can be terminated under that clause. But from the sound of this story the company doesn't enforce it very well.

As to giving a negative response to a reference, well here also Stark is hosed. A former employer is only allowed to say "yes they work here" and if the individual eligible for rehire. Anything else, unless okay by the former employee, is considered slander in the eyes of the courts.

Now as to Mr Stark, He might very well not know this. This is why larger companies employ HR individuals to advise higher ups. Since HR was not sitting in this interaction my guess is Stark didn't know better.

Oh well I'm sure Stark was looking for a change of jobs anyways.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 8 years ago

Thanks for the offering.

gldngolfergldngolferabout 8 years ago
What?

OK, I get it. She didn't do as instructed and got fired. But WHAT problem was caused by her giving out the information? Did the estranged wife go to the corporate apartment and catch her husband with another woman? Did she shoot them both? Was the apartment nothing but a well used "fuck house" for the corporate officers and now their little play house is now closed?

The story incomplete without same details about WHAT happened because she provided the information to Mrs. Snow.

I may be wrong but us busy body readers would enjoy the juicy details.

Pappy7Pappy7about 8 years ago
The comments here are hilarious.

I never knew so many labor lawyers read this site. She absolutely failed to do her job. Her job was not to take the boss's side or his wife's side but to just do her job, which was to stay out of their problems. Wife or not he had the right to refuse her communications and the people whose job it was to handle said communications are tasked with one thing, route the calls as they are directed to do. No one has the right to interfere in the personal life of someone they work for. Again, he wasn't having her take his side, he was requiring her to remain neutral. Evidently that is a concept that many of the pontificators in these comments can't understand. Everyone is entitled to their personal privacy, even husbands.

5 stars from pappy

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Thank You

And thank you again. Meddling assholes like this one shouldn't be just fired, she should be included in an "alienation of affection" lawsuit. No, I'm not a lawyer, and yea, maybe she wouldn't be legally liable for any damages, but the bitch should be made to pay for her disloyalty. If not through the courts, maybe another way. Hmmmm... gives me an idea for a story.

makarowcemakarowceover 7 years ago
great

this story put a smile on my face

VickieTernVickieTernover 7 years ago
But they were made for each other!

As anyone half-blind, like our snitching ex-employee, could tell easily! Mr. Stark was punishing her for putting his mistress back into the arms of her husband, just as "True Confession Stories" told her she should. Shame on him!

Huedogg2Huedogg2over 7 years ago
Wow once again the village cunt has spoken

Vicky, he was trying to protect himself from that money grabbing whore he married. Look between the lines not at how your life has gone.

MaFreplerMaFreplerabout 7 years ago
This isn't a story.

It's just not. It is the telling of a firing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
You're fired.

That's the story? Well one part you got wrong was that if the CEO was stupid enough to give her a bad recommendation when someone called, he would open himself and the Company up to a huge lawsuit. It's against the law. And no CEO is going to take time out of his schedule to fire a PA. That's what Human Resources is for. No one in that division would be stupid enough to threaten her with a bad recommendation. This just wasn't entertaining to read. Stick to the flyer miles.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
WTF?

This is your idea of a story? You would get an F in my English Composition class. This doesn't rate as a thought, let alone a story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Despite what ignorant anonymi think

". . .if the CEO was stupid enough to give her a bad recommendation when someone called, he would open himself and the Company up to a huge lawsuit. It's against the law."

Uhm, not even close. "After investigation, Ms Busybody was terminated for gross insubordination" is a legal communication so long as it is accurate and complete. There are gutless corporations who choose to weasel out of ANY recommendations, positive or negative, but there is nothing "against the law" about it. IF the statement is not accurate and complete, a company could open itself up to a lawsuit, but not any criminal action.

And I can think of at least 3 medium-sized companies where that would be the response. Fortune-100's ? No, too wimpy. But successful SMB's ? Oh, yeah.

"And no CEO is going to take time out of his schedule to fire a PA. "

Possibly correct. Depends on the size of the company. And the position of the PA. Sometimes you make an example.

"That's what Human Resources is for."

Human resources has never handled the firing at any of the companies I've worked at -- including 2 Fortune-15's. They are there to make sure the process is followed, and the forms are filled out, but the firing is always done by the direct manager, or the board if a C-level position.

penneydog55penneydog55almost 7 years ago
BLOODY HELL WHAT IS THE STORY ABOUT

I'm sorry but I can't make heads nor tails of this story.

I keep getting re runs of the Apprentice (YOUR FIRED)

Thanks for sharing this story with us!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Just a thought

To achieve major impact you could have added that Mr Snow had been shot and killed by an armed man as he left his new office in Phoenix for lunch today.

HomefrontWitnessHomefrontWitnessalmost 6 years ago
Brief and funny

I liked it, very tiny story about what could really happen to the interfering PA's in a real professional environment. They are often in the class of a nosy neighbor in a lot of loving wives stories, completely overstepping. I took this as a very brief parody.

26thNC26thNCalmost 6 years ago
Need story

Need some back story, front story, just any kind of story. Interesting bones, just no meat

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
Reads like some kind of Agenda story.

What was the point?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago

read all your stories, like them all. hope to see many more

robroy93robroy93about 4 years ago
Good

But needs a lot more story.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous