Threading the Needle Ch. 01

Story Info
The life and loves of 2 BFFs, a decade after high school.
7.8k words
4.6
14.8k
30

Part 1 of the 12 part series

Updated 04/01/2024
Created 07/15/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
-Ripley-
-Ripley-
1,308 Followers

This is story has many chapters and each builds on the previous one. It also exists in the same world as my stories Out of Bounds and It Isn't Just an Orgy. While Rachel is a somewhat minor character, in a way it is as important to her story as It Isn't Just an Orgy is for Isabel. At the end of Threading The Needle, it will be time to finish Isabel and Rachel's story. First, however, I have to tell Marika and Liz's stories, as well as Winnie's, Lena's, Indigo's, and a number of others. I hope you enjoy it and come to love the characters like I do.

Threading the Needle

Chapter 1

Rain beat down hard on the window of Marika's car as she pulled into the parking lot. She sighed as she looked at the clock. "Damn Seattle drivers. Every time it rains, it's like the first time they are driving on wet pavement," she thought. Being on time was a thing for her. Getting out of the car, she sprinted across the parking lot to the restaurant. As she pushed open the door, Marika looked around. The restaurant was busy with almost no tables empty.

The hostess gave her a smile as Marika stepped inside. "Welcome to Olympus," she said. "Do you have a reservation?"

"Yeah, it's two for Marika. My friend may already be here. I'm running a few minutes late," Marika replied. She waited as the hostess checked the computer.

"Oh yes, she got here a little while ago. Let me take you to the table," the hostess turned and started walking towards the back of the restaurant. Marika followed closely behind. As she turned the corner, she saw the woman she was meeting sitting at a table for two. The blonde looked up and smiled. As always, it was a great smile. It lit up her whole face.

"Hey, Elizabeth. Sorry that I'm late. People were idiots on the road," Marika said as she sat down.

"No big deal, Rikki. I don't have a job to get to, and you are a manager so it doesn't matter when you get back," the blonde replied with a laugh. They had known each other for years and she knew about the time zone fetish. "And how hard is it to call me Liz like everyone else who knows me?" she asked. "Even my Dad finally broke down."

"When you stop calling me Rikki, I will start calling you Liz," Marika responded. Just like Liz, she had a big grin on her face. It was a long-standing argument. They had never changed what they called each other, even as they both started to go by different versions of their names.

For both of them, changing their names mirrored the changes each of them had been through in her life. During high school, Rikki had been the wild one. She consistently got into trouble, barely avoiding being kicked out of school twice. There was a string of boyfriends, to the point where she had quite a reputation as a slut. She also partied pretty heavily. Elizabeth was her wingman all the way through school. If it had not been for her, Rikki would have gotten into a lot more trouble. As the generally sober one, Elizabeth made sure Rikki never got into a car drunk or with a drunk guy. On more than one occasion, she intervened to stop a guy from taking advantage of Rikki when she was drunk or high. Elizabeth dated a little, mostly for major events like prom; but as far as anyone knew, she never put out. Her focus was mostly on school and athletics. An honor student, she also was the star of both the cross-country team and the track team.

The two of them were constantly together. Despite Elizabeth's parents being concerned about her wild friend, nothing kept them apart for long. There were no secrets between them. During her senior year when Rikki got pregnant, Elizabeth was the only person she told other than the boy. Elizabeth was the one who took Rikki to have the abortion. She never left Rikki's side, holding her hand the whole time, and then taking care of her for the next couple of days while they had a "sleepover" for the weekend.

The toughest point in their friendship came when Liz finally got up the nerve to come out to Rikki. Her biggest fear was that it would drive a wedge between them. She did not want to lose her closest friend. As Elizabeth struggled with finding a way to tell her, it affected their friendship and they had a series of fights over little things. Finally, Rikki demanded to know why she was being such a bitch. Fighting off her first instinct of lashing back, she broke down and started crying. Through her tears, she told Rikki that she was afraid of telling her that she was gay. It was a moment that sealed their friendship forever.

Taking Elizabeth in her arms, Rikki gave a long hug. "You big dope," she told Elizabeth. "I kind of figured. It doesn't matter to me. You are my best friend. I love you, no matter what." She paused a second and then added, "You know, sisterly love, not the other kind."

It was several years later, when Elizabeth was becoming Liz, that she realized that was the moment when she fell in love with Rikki. Up until that point, she had resisted looking at her friend in any way sexual. Even as her interest in women became more apparent, she did not look at Rikki that way. In hindsight, that was hard for Liz to understand. Rikki was gorgeous. She had long brown hair that curled around her face, perfectly framing her face. Her big eyes were a light brown that sparked when her full lips smiled. She had a cute nose and high cheekbones with an olive complexion that made her look tanned even on a mid-winter day in Seattle. Her figure in high school had been amazing with beautiful C cup breasts. Now that she was thirty and a mother, she was a little more curvy but still gorgeous and fit. Her breasts grew some with nursing and were now ample D cups, which went perfect with her slightly wider hips.

Nevertheless, it wasn't her looks that made Elizabeth fall in love with her. Instead, it was the way Rikki instantly accepted and supported her. Elizabeth could not imagine anyone who could make her feel better than Rikki. As time went on, Rikki's attractiveness started to contribute more and more to the strength of her feelings. It became a low burning desire that Elizabeth carried secretly for her friend. Elizabeth being a lesbian never bothered Rikki, in part because she was so completely straight in her own orientation. While she slept around a lot, they were all guys. The fear that Rikki would discover her feelings was something that Elizabeth carried around with her all the time. For the most part, it wasn't noticeable; although a few of her lesbian friends figured it out. No one ever brought it up. More than one of them had carried secret crushes for straight girlfriends that they hoped would fade away.

Graduation was a big deal for the two of them. Rikki's grades were bad enough that she did not get into any of the four-year colleges she wanted. It was also a wakeup call for her. Looking forward, she saw doing any of the things that she wanted to would take more than a high school degree. Enrolling in a community college, she knuckled down and worked her ass off to get the best grades possible. It surprised her how well she did when she tried. She made the Dean's List five out of her six quarters in community college. Dating became much more of a rarity and she practically gave up partying.

For Elizabeth, it was almost the opposite. She moved into the dorms at the University of Washington. Even though it was not far from home, it was the first time being away. It was an exposure to a much more diverse world, especially sexually. In high school, she stayed in the closet. She went out with a couple of girls from other high schools; and while she had sex with them, it was relatively restrained and infrequent. In the dorms and in campus, it seemed like there was no end to the women interested in the cute blue-eyed athletic freshman. It did not take her long to go from innocent inexperienced Elizabeth to confident experienced Liz. After a while, she could pick up almost any woman that she wanted; except the only one that she really wanted.

School, on the other hand, stopped being as much of an interest. That she did as well as she did during her first quarter was mostly due to all the advanced classes from high school. She did not study nearly enough. As time came to register for winter quarter, she dropped a bombshell on her parents, two actually. She came out to them and at the same time announced that she was going to skip that quarter. Always a great skier, she got a job as an instructor at one of the local resorts. It would give her a pass and enough money to cover her expenses, especially since there were a couple of other instructors who were looking for a roommate.

In some ways, it was the perfect timing. Her parents were so worked up over her dropping out for a quarter that coming out seemed like less of an issue. It was not as if they were particularly surprised. Both of them had guessed it and tried to let her know that they would be supportive. They argued vehemently that she stay in school, but in the end, it was her decision.

"I don't want to waste your money when my heart and my head aren't into school. I'll just take this quarter to get this out of my system and be back after skiing ends," Liz told them. Only by the time the deadline came to register for spring quarter, she had discovered something new to distract her.

One of the other ski instructors was a raft guide during the spring and summer. It only took Liz one trip to get hooked and she joined guide training. One thing led to another and she never went back to school. She picked up cabinet making skills to help with meeting expenses during the off seasons, but she preferred to live as a ski and rafting bum. Eleven years later, she was one of the more experienced guides around the state. For much of it, she guided for just one company, Washington Whitewater. She was one of the people that the owner, Weston, looked to for leadership.

As the waitress came up to them, Marika looked at Liz. "Did you already order something to drink?" she asked.

"Yeah, I have a hefeweizen coming," Liz said with a smile. She knew that Marika rarely drank beer. Not as active as Liz, she had to work harder at keeping the pounds off. While Marika looked at the wine list, Liz's eyes wandered over her body. "The work is paying off," she thought to herself.

"I'll just have the house red. Thanks," Marika told her. When the waitress walked away, Liz was not shy about checking her out. "Oh my God, you never stop, do you?" she said with a slightly disapproving smile. Another thing that hadn't changed much was that Liz's partners were many and frequently changed. When Marika invited her to one of the gatherings she threw with her husband, she just put "Plus one" on the invitation. There was no guessing who would be with her. It might be someone Marika had met before, but it was as likely to be someone Liz had just met.

"What? She was cute. You can't deny that," Liz said with wide sky-blue eyes. Her blonde hair was a little darker than most of the year because she was not out in the sun yet, but it still showed up very light against her perpetually tanned face.

"Fine, she is cute. Does that mean you have to try to sleep with her?" Marika said. The fact that Liz had never found someone that meant more to her than just a roll in the hay was something that bothered Marika. She wanted her best friend to find her happily ever after.

"I didn't try to sleep with her, just looked at her," Liz said, trying to give her best innocent look.

"Oh that's not going to work! You stopped being innocent a long time ago," Marika said with a laugh. She didn't laugh long. "Seriously Elizabeth, are you seeing anyone particular right now?" She looked at Liz.

As usual when Marika asked that question, Liz didn't look right at her. She knew that Marika always interpreted that as a sign she felt a little ashamed about sleeping around. Liz let her think it. That was better than her realizing that the one person she wanted was not available.

"Not my style. You know that, Rikki. I like my options being open." Liz got a little smile on her face and her attention shifted to look over Rikki's shoulder. "You never know when you might meet a gorgeous and interesting woman," she said in a tone that was a little silkier.

Without even looking, Marika knew that the waitress must be back with their drinks. Sure enough, she was right behind Marika. As she put down the drinks, Marika noticed that while she was blushing, she also seemed a little pleased. Her eyes kept darting over to look Liz in the eyes before blushing a little more and looking away. It seemed like she was a little flustered as she tried to get their orders straight.

"I have to say; as usual I'm a little in awe of your skill. It's like your superpower. I'm just not sure you always use it for good," Marika said after she left. "Remember, with great power comes great responsibility!"

"Fuck off!" Liz said in a soft voice that took away any sting. "Anyhow we didn't get together to give you another opportunity to beat me up over my love life. You said things are getting worse. What's going on, Rikki?"

The smile on Marika's face slowly faded away and she gave a little sigh. "It's the same thing, only it is happening more. Samuel is going out with friends after work at least a couple times a week. I'm having to work extra hours myself so I am racing to the daycare to pick up Kieran. Then I have to get dinner. We used to make dinner together. It was one of our things. That almost never happens anymore."

Shaking her head, Liz could not keep the angry look off her face. She never liked Marika's husband. For Marika's sake, she tried to be nice but he never seemed good enough for her. At times like this, she could not hide her feelings. "He can't put it all on you. You are getting no time just for you."

"It's not all his fault," Marika protested in defense of her husband. "Part of it is having to travel during the week. He's just gone some of the time."

"All the more reason for him to step up when he is home," Liz said in a tone that showed she would accept no argument.

Marika wearily nodded. "Yeah, I could use a little time too. Even on the weekends, he is going golfing at least once a weekend."

"At least once a weekend? That means sometimes more! It's not fair. Look, we are going to start up guide training soon. Why don't you come out? You love it when you go rafting with me," Liz told her.

"I don't know. Samuel won't like it," Marika said, looking doubtful. At the same time, she knew Liz had a point. She felt worn down to the point where she seemed to be cranky all the time. "Don't get me wrong. I like the idea. Rafting is a blast."

"I could care less whether Samuel likes it. He owes you. It's five straight weekends of training, and not all of them having camping, but after that you can do an every other weekend thing. He gets a weekend with you home, and the other you are on the river," Liz said. Gritting her teeth, she added, "He can even come along with Kieran and make them family camp outs." Having him around was the last thing Liz wanted to deal with, but it was worth it if it helped convince Marika. Liz could tell that Marika liked the idea. The only question was if she could really get Samuel to agree. Liz sighed. "Actually, the first question is if she will risk the fight," she thought, but all of a sudden Marika got a determined look.

"Fine. You win. It sounds like too much fun. He can have a good time, but he has to let me have mine. Otherwise I am going to make the argument that he stay home and stop golfing," Marika said. "Thanks for suggesting this."

Before they could talk anymore, the waitress came back with their lunches. As she served them, she didn't seem to be able to stop looking over at Liz. She stayed just a moment longer than really necessary to make sure that they had what they needed. Liz was her flirtatious self and succeeded in completely charming her.

As the waitress walked away, Marika hit Liz on the arm. "Hey, this is our lunch. Stop paying attention to other women!"

"Well, if you were interested, I would! As it is, I focus on the women I have a chance with," Liz said with a smile that hid her thoughts.

"Not every person you relate to has to be a potential bed partner. Sometimes friendship is the better choice," Marika said with a smile as she started to eat her food.

"That's what I've got you for," Liz replied as she picked up her sandwich.

For a few moments, they just focused on eating. When they started talking again, Marika wanted to know more details about guide training. Already in her mind, she was starting to plan what she would need to do. Since Liz ran guide training for Weston, it was one of her favorite topics. Before they knew it, they finished eating.

Looking at her watch, Marika scowled. "Look at the time. I have a meeting soon." At Liz's look, she apologetically spread her hands. "I may be a manager, but I still have my responsibilities."

Sensing they were ready to go, the waitress put the check on the table. Both women reached out for it, but Marika was a little quicker and twisted it away from Liz. When she opened it, she broke into a big grin. "Actually Elizabeth, I think this might be yours," she said holding the check presenter out for Liz.

Taking it, Liz looked quizzically at Marika. When she opened it, things became clear. "Rikki, I think you are right," she said as she looked at the writing on the bill. It was her name and her phone number. Liz smiled and met the gaze of the waitress who was watching intently. Pulling out her phone, Liz punched in the number and then sent a text. "Free tonight?" Getting some cash out of her wallet, Liz put it in the little book and closed it.

"Wow. How did you even pick up on her being gay?" Marika asked. She had seen it enough times that she shouldn't be surprised. Liz had a way.

With a grin, Liz shrugged her shoulders. "I don't think she is. My guess is she is curious. And I assume all women are at least curious, which means no one is off limits," Liz said with a smile.

"You are incorrigible! And I really need to run. I'll talk to you later," Marika said as she leaned down to give Liz a kiss on the cheek before dashing out of the restaurant.

Hearing her phone buzz, Liz looked down at it. There was a reply to her text.

"Yes"

Grabbing her coat, Liz walked over to set a time to meet. She actually had tentative plans to meet another woman that night, but it was a group thing so Liz felt fine with blowing it off. Women who dated Liz learned not to count on her too much.

It was not until Monday that Marika managed to get back to Liz. The weekend had been busy and she just never found the time. By Sunday night, Marika was exhausted and just went to bed shortly after she put her son down for the night. It was a busy morning, but she finally had some time to call Liz in the late morning.

"Hello?" Liz said in a sleepy voice.

Marika laughed. She should have remembered that Liz tended to sleep in on days she didn't work. "Hey Elizabeth, sorry to wake you." In the background, she could hear someone else. Despite knowing what Liz was like, Marika could not help blushing slightly at having caught her in bed with someone.

"No problem," Liz told her. The sound got a little muffled but she was still sure that she heard Liz kissing the other woman. Her face burned even more.

"Look, I can call back," she told Liz. She really did not want to listen to anyone make out while she was trying to talk.

"No, no. It's fine. I'll be good. What's up?"

"I just wanted to tell you I talked to Samuel and I'm in for doing guide training," Marika told her.

"Just like that? He said sure?" Liz's voice was full of skepticism.

Marika let out a big sigh. "No, it started a two-hour fight yesterday when I finally brought it up. After listening to him bitch for a while, I finally vented pretty well on him. After that, he didn't have much of a leg to stand on." She paused for a second. "At least we got some things out on the table. Maybe that will help."

-Ripley-
-Ripley-
1,308 Followers