Threading the Needle Ch. 05

Story Info
After guide-training, Marika fantasizes while taking a bath.
16.2k words
4.88
3.9k
7

Part 5 of the 12 part series

Updated 04/01/2024
Created 07/15/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
-Ripley-
-Ripley-
1,309 Followers

Thank you Terry, careythomas and snow for all your help in editing and improving this chapter. I couldn't have done it without you.

Like almost all of my series, this one will only be understood if you have read the chapters before it. Thank you to my readers for going along this journey with me.

Threading the Needle

Chapter 5

Marika pushed her way through the crowd as she tried to see if Yamile was already at the bar. It seemed like an unusual number of people were also meeting for drinks after work. Marika looked around people and searched for her friend. It looked like she got there first when she made it to the back of the bar without seeing Yamile. She looked around to try to spot an open table.

"This could be impossible," Marika thought. The bar was packed and as she moved through it, she didn't notice a single free table. She was just about to start wading through the crowd again when she felt someone touch her elbow. She looked over and saw a couple of men seated at a high table against the wall.

"Pardon me, but we are going to be leaving in a minute. If you need a spot, you can have this one," said one of them. He was the older of the two men. Marika guessed he was around 40. Both of them were good looking, in quite different ways. The younger one was more on the cute side. He was probably closer to Marika's age with short red hair. The man who spoke was much more striking. His head was completely shaved. It looked really good on him. His smile was relaxed as he looked Marika in the eye.

Although Marika sensed that it might be an attempt to pick her up, she contemplated taking him up on his offer nevertheless. She glanced around the bar. It seemed even more packed than when she arrived. Looking back at the two men, she smiled. "It doesn't matter what his intentions are. I'm married and not interested. So if taking advantage of his hopes gets us a table, I'm okay with that," she thought to herself.

"Sure, why not? Thanks," Marika said as she stepped closer to the table. The two men shifted to give her a little room.

"I'm Carl and this is Nicholas," said the bald man as he put out his hand. Marika shook his hand and then the younger man's hand.

"Nice to meet you. I'm.... Marika," she replied, stumbling over her name a little. She almost introduced herself as Rikki. So much of her time and energy was invested in rafting these days. Beyond that, every trip down the river started with an introduction as part of the safety lecture. It was the first time she introduced herself to someone new since the start of guide training. She couldn't help the little smile that came over her face.

"What?" Carl asked. "Having problems with remembering your name?" He smiled back at her.

Marika blushed. "I suppose I have to explain. First, let me text my friend and tell her where to find me," she told him. Getting out her phone, she typed a quick message to Yamile. "Hurry and rescue me from the two good looking guys who are sharing a table with us! In the far back of the bar," she wrote. Marika looked at it for a second and then erased good looking. She didn't want Yamile to think she was actually interested in them. She pressed send.

Looking back at the two men, Marika smiled. She started to explain about rafting and river nicknames. "I got used to thinking and saying I'm Rikki," she concluded. Being a raft guide seemed to impress both of them.

"I've never gone rafting," Carl said. His eyes discreetly swept over her. Marika noticed, but the way he did it felt almost polite. She got that little smile again and blushed. "Let's say I wanted to go rafting. Would you be my guide?" he asked. His manner bordered on flirtatious.

"Maybe," Marika replied. She started thinking. Booking trips was one way to guarantee that you had a raft. If a group requested her, Weston would assign her to work that trip. Marika had already arranged for a group from work as well as one with her neighbors. She slipped into sales mode, which included a touch of flirting back. "If you just book a trip for yourself or with a friend, anyone could be your guide. If you have at least five people, then you can request a guide." She dug into her purse and pulled out a flier for the company, along with a pen. Uncapping the pen, Marika wrote in the flier.

"5+ people, request Rikki!"

Handing Carl the flier, Marika gave him a big smile. "I hope to see you on the river," she said.

"I would love that," Carl said.

Marika was trying to figure out a response when she heard someone clear her throat. Turning, she saw Yamile. "Yay! You're here," Marika said enthusiastically. It was a little bit fun to flirt, but she didn't know what to do now. She really didn't want to lead them on. She gave Yamile a hug and introduced her around the table.

The men tried to move and make enough room for Yamile. Unfortunately while there was just enough space for three, the table wasn't made for four. Rather than make things awkward, the guys downed the rest of their beers and got ready to leave. Just before walking away, Carl leaned close to Marika.

"So what number do I call?" Carl said into Marika's ear.

Turning to look at him, Marika's face burned a bright red. Although it could be taken as an innocent question, she knew it wasn't. A harmless flirtation was one thing. Despite it being nice to be noticed, Marika had no interest in anything more. Still, a booking was a booking. She smiled and said, "Just call the office. They will make sure that I get your trip, if you have a big enough group."

Pulling back to look her in the eyes, Carl smiled confidently. "I'll do that. I'm looking forward to seeing you again," he said before moving off. Marika watched the guys leave before turning to face Yamile. When she saw Yamile's raised eyebrow, she blushed again.

"What was that all about?" Yamile asked.

"Oh, he was just interested in booking a trip rafting," Marika said, trying to brush it off.

"Hmmm. I don't think that's all he is interested in!" Yamile replied. She laughed when Marika's face turned a deeper shade of red.

Deciding to meet Yamile's teasing head on, Marika chuckled a little. "Maybe. What can I say? Sex sells."

"You didn't say you wanted to be rescued from good looking guys!" Yamile told her. "I was picturing fat and ugly. What did you want to be rescued from them for?"

Marika wiggled her ring in Yamile's face. "I'm not on the market, as you know. It doesn't matter how handsome or how much attention he gives me, I'm married."

"You are married, not dead. And flirting isn't cheating," Yamile said. "Everybody needs a little ego boost occasionally. As long as it stays innocent, there is no harm."

"Easy for you to say," Marika said with a sigh. "You have Claudio at home. There isn't a man alive who makes you feel better than he does. I've got Samuel."

Normally, Yamile enjoyed talking about her wonderful husband but she could hear the despondency in Marika's voice. Every time she saw her, Yamile thought that Marika was even more unhappy about her marriage. She didn't want to rub it in. "Well, Claudio is gone a lot more than I would like. It's hard on me and it's hard on the girls. He has a big trip next week and he is going to miss Paloma's big basketball game," she told Marika.

"That sucks, Yamile. I know your life isn't perfect. It just seems so much better than mine. At least when Claudio is there, he really is. Even when Samuel is around, it seems like he would rather not be," Marika said with a sigh. She looked at her friend and saw a little flash of something go across her face. "What?" she asked.

"You know I love you, right?" Marika nodded but was otherwise silent. Yamile remembered what Claudio said about Samuel the other night. "I have to ask for that reason. You don't think he is cheating on you, do you?"

The look on Marika's face told Yamile that this wasn't the first time she had confronted the question. A moment later, she shook her head. "No, I... I'm sure..." she tried to talk. Yet the words didn't quite come out. Her head dropped. "I don't think so, but I don't know, Yamile," she finally said.

Yamile frowned. She hated to see her friend this down. "Sooooooo ..... tell me about rafting! We haven't really talked since you started training on the water," she said, wanting to move the subject over to something better.

It was a welcome change. Marika's mood lifted and her enthusiasm came through. To start, she mostly talked about actually guiding and how quickly she took to it. While Yamile enjoyed her passion, the barrage of rafting terms wasn't nearly as compelling. Her eyes glazed over a bit. As Marika began to describe the other rafters, Yamile perked back up. People were much more interesting.

Yamile already knew Liz. They met at a couple of Marika's parties. She even came on to Yamile the first time when Claudio was on a trip and she was alone. While feeling a little flattered to have a younger and attractive lesbian flirt with her, Yamile let Liz know that she was married and unavailable. Of course, Yamile enjoyed engaging in a little bit of flirting with Liz first. When Liz moved on, Yamile had the impression that Liz thought that it was only her marriage that kept her from responding. Rather than correcting the misconception, Yamile let it continue. It was harmless and just a bit tantalizing.

At some point during the party, Yamile mentioned Liz to Marika. "Don't be too flattered," Marika said with a laugh. "I'm not sure I've ever had a friend escape at least one exploratory flirt from Elizabeth. Of course, not all of them are as attractive as you are. I am sure she was at least a little disappointed." When Yamile looked away in embarrassment, Marika laughed. "See, even you feel her pull."

"Well, she is sexy. There is just something about her," Yamile said with a little smile. "You know what I mean?" She didn't mention how she had flirted back with Liz.

Marika laughed a little more. "You're asking the wrong woman. She is practically my sister. I just can't see her that way." At Yamile's skeptical look, she stopped laughing but continued to smile. "Seriously. It isn't that I don't recognize a good looking woman," she said, and then continued in a flirty tone. "I just told you that you are attractive, and you are sexy too! I'd do you," she said, almost purring the last words.

Her jaw dropping, Yamile looked stunned for a second. When Marika's smile turned mischievous, she started to giggle. "You do that well!" she told Marika. "If you ever switch teams, you'll give Liz a run for her money with the ladies!" Marika giggled too but then the conversation drifted on to other subjects.

Although they hadn't talked about Liz in some time, it was clear to Yamile that she hadn't changed at all. "So you just finished the third week of training, and she already slept with one of the other trainers, and picked up a woman in a bar?"

"Yup. And I am fairly sure that she hooked up with Indigo after we finished the classroom stuff," Marika said. "Just something she said when we talked the next day."

"But then the week that you were on the river with Indigo's girlfriend... Alex is it?" She continued after Marika nodded. "It was like nothing ever happened?"

"Yeah. Honestly, I don't know how she gets away with it. Not just the whole Alex and Indigo thing, but how she dismisses the women she sleeps with and still they come back as soon as she beckons. She must really be good in bed!" Marika said. It should have sounded like a compliment but instead it was a little sad. At Yamile's look, Marika smiled. "I worry about her. One day she is going to wake up and find she is alone."

"Those are her choices to make, Marika," Yamile said. She patted Marika's hand. "I'm just glad you are having fun. You deserve a little fun." Marika nodded, but still seemed a little sad. "You can't live her life for her," Yamile told her.

"Oh, I know. I wasn't thinking about that. I was actually just a little jealous of her, and of you. At least you are both getting some. It's been too long!" Marika said. She looked at her friend. "You two are still fucking like bunnies, aren't you?" She didn't mean to but it came out accusing.

Yamile smiled a little guiltily but otherwise showed no signs of embarrassment. The two of them talked enough that Marika knew just how often she and Claudio made love. "I can't help it if I need it every couple of days. Fortunately, Claudio can still keep up with me. I don't know what I'm going to do when he is gone the whole week!" she said.

"I do. You will try to wear out another vibrator!" Marika said with a slightly wicked glint in her eye. "How many would that make? Three?" she asked.

Now Yamile really did look embarrassed. "Four," she said. "He travels a lot! And he is happy to buy me replacements. He doesn't want me auditioning someone else." She said it with a slightly wicked smile of her own, but she didn't fool Marika. Claudio was in no danger of Yamile stepping out on him. She had never seen two people more in love.

Marika looked at her watch. "Damn, I need to get going. I still have to make dinner."

Nodding, Yamile pulled some money out of her purse to pay for their drinks. When Marika started to protest, she said, "It's my turn, Marika. You got it last time. Give Kieran a hug from me. He is such a cutie!" Whether on purpose or not, she didn't mention Samuel. Walking out of the bar, they hugged and then headed off in different directions.

As she drove home, Marika thought about Yamile. She loved her friend and was glad for her happiness, but she couldn't avoid a feeling of jealousy. Her marriage was the type Marika had hoped to find with Samuel. Instead, they continued to drift further apart. Even her spending time rafting only seemed to matter in the way that it inconvenienced him. It didn't seem like he missed her much at all.

Kieran was a different matter. He missed her a lot. She felt guilty about being away from him but at the same time, it forced Samuel to spend more time with him. Guide training was only for another two weeks and then she would only be gone every weekend. Even when she rafted, she hoped that Samuel and Kieran would come along some weekends and introduce Kieran to camping. It would be some nice family time.

She smiled as she thought about Liz. Perhaps they would need to pick a spot that was a little away from the rest of the guides. There were some things that her son didn't need to see just yet, although Liz loved Kieran and would most likely behave if he was around.

Yamile's question kept coming back to her mind. Was Samuel cheating on her? She could see why Yamile asked. There were warning signs, but nothing beyond suspicions. So far, Marika just tried to brush them off and blame her own insecurities for the worry. She didn't want to think about what she would do if he really was. It was unlikely to be a path from which they could recover. Her trust in him was already shaky. If broken, she would find it hard to trust him fully ever again.

"You asshole," Marika thought as she turned into her neighborhood. "Why did you have to even make me doubt?" She sighed. "Why couldn't you love me like Claudio does Yamile?"

*****

That weekend, the training moved back to the Skykomish. The weather was typical for April, cold and wet. It wasn't as bad as the first week when it snowed. Still, everyone wore the warmest gear possible. This was also the first week with customers. In addition to the three trainee boats, Weston booked two boats of clients. He would guide one raft and another senior guide named Logan would guide the other raft. Alex was along as well to act as the safety kayak. Unlike the previous time, she was being paid and would stay with the float the whole way. Although they inflated and rigged all the boats including the clients', the trainees otherwise had little to do with the commercial trip.

Winnie watched as all of the drivers pulled out to meet Weston and the customers down at the take out. As usual, she came up with Rikki. She noticed that there were more drivers this week. Part of it was probably that being closer to home, most people had plans for their Saturday night. Beyond that, there were fewer space concerns with the shuttle. Weston would be driving them all back up in one of his buses. It made shuttles much simpler.

It meant that there were fewer people left at the top. Only three other trainees stayed with Winnie, plus Logan. The wind was blowing and Winnie sat on a raft with her arms around her to keep warm. She watched Logan as he checked his raft. It was fairly clear that he didn't trust the trainees to do it right.

"He's good looking," Winnie thought. Logan was tall, a few inches over six foot. He was in extremely good shape. Even wearing his rain gear, his muscular body showed. He had dark blonde hair that was relatively short and sported a slightly scruffy beard and mustache. His blue eyes were just the icing in the cake.

Winnie watched him push down on the tubes and frown. Grabbing the pump, he began to add some air to the tubes. After a little hesitation, Winnie got up and went over to him. "Want a hand?" she asked. Trying to hold the hose against the valve wasn't always easy alone.

Logan gave her a smile. "Sure. Thanks," he replied. He avoided making any of the obvious hose jokes, not wanting to offend her. After all, Winnie was the really cute new guide. "Well," he thought, correcting himself. "She is the really cute straight new guide." Having observed the whole trainee class, he thought Lena was actually hotter. It wasn't by much though.

"Did we not get enough air in?" Winnie asked.

"They are okay. I just like my tubes to be a little harder," Logan said with a smile. Some ideas were hard to avoid double entendres.

Winnie smiled back. She was significantly less shy after being around the guide group for a few weeks. "I'm happy to help you get them nice and hard," she told him with a teasing voice.

Although slightly surprised at her quick comeback, Logan quickly recovered. "I like a woman who enjoys making tubes hard!" When she laughed, he relaxed a little more. Clearly, she didn't offend easily.

"Well I'll hold your hose while you pump," Winnie told him. Unlike the teasing tone from before, Winnie pitched her voice so that it was much more seductive. The glint in her eyes let Logan know she was still teasing. Nevertheless, he felt his cock stir. She had sexy down pat. He was glad that he wasn't a trainer. Liz's rules about going out with trainees didn't apply to him.

Like all the senior guides, he wore a drysuit. The top was rolled down to around his waist since it wasn't raining right then. The thermal shirt he had on was skintight and showed off his hard body as he used the pump to top off the tubes. Winnie tried to watch him surreptitiously, not wanting to reveal her interest. It might not have fooled Logan, but he didn't embarrass her by saying anything either.

Just as they started to talk, the other guides wandered over. They met Logan earlier, but wanted to get to know him. At least a couple of them were a little jealous of the senior guy hitting on their cute fellow trainee and didn't mind interrupting the flirting between the two of them. They might be too shy to ask Winnie out themselves but didn't like the idea of someone else doing it. Logan was easy going and didn't take it wrong. Supremely confident in both his capabilities and his own charm, he didn't hesitate when he was interested.

It didn't matter much. The shuttle bus showed up just then. "Talk to you later," Logan said. Dismissing the trainees from his thoughts, including Winnie, he turned his charm on the clients as they piled out of the bus. He directed them over to his and Weston's raft while the rest of the trainees went over to their own rafts. There was considerably less horseplay today.

-Ripley-
-Ripley-
1,309 Followers