Threading the Needle Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Ready," Bohdi replied. As one, they moved, exchanging paddles as they crossed. "All stop," he called as he sat down and stuck his paddle in the water. They looked good to hit Ledge wave. "All ahead! Paddle hard, dudes," he told his boat. The boat picked up speed and crashed through the wave, accompanied again by the full-throated roars of the boat. "All stop," he said, once they were fully through it.

"Good job," Liz told him. Bohdi grinned in his goofy way, but without looking at her. He had his attention downstream and on the other boats. He wanted to be one of the guides who Liz chose tomorrow to run the Drop. This was their last weekend on the Sky, so it could be his only chance this year.

As they drifted a little to let the other rafts get some space, Liz leaned forward to where Winnie was. "You were quiet when we talked about guiding the Drop. Are you not interested?" Liz said softly so that only Winnie could hear.

"Honestly, no. I'm still learning. Plus, I'm having fun," Winnie said in the same low voice. She looked over where Reed and Jasper were rehashing the run down through Airplane. "I don't really feel like I have to prove I'm gnarlier than they are." She met Liz's eyes. "I hope that doesn't disappoint you."

"Of course not, Winnie. The whole point of this is to have fun," Liz told her. "Everyone knows what they want out of this. Whitewater can be dangerous. It's good to know when you're ready and when you aren't." She looked over meaningfully at the guys. "In any case, there is nothing wrong with spending a season in sunny Eastern Washington. That's where most customers go."

"Great," Winnie said. She smiled as Liz bumped against her shoulder. "I'm not saying never, just not after five times on a quarter of the river." That made Liz laugh. It was loud and carried across the water.

Lena took her eyes off the water in front of her for a moment and looked back. The rafts were still relatively close and she could see Liz leaning close to Winnie. They were both laughing now. Turning back around, she focused on the approaching rapid. "At least the rapid is less confusing," she thought. Rikki's advice about guiding last week broke through and now Lena found it much easier to see the right line to set up for a good run.

"I wish her advice on Liz was as helpful," Lena thought, trying to ignore the continued laughter from the last boat. Liz's continued ignoring of her still hurt. It was worse since it was obvious that she liked Winnie. "Winnie? She isn't even gay!" she thought to herself. "If the issue for Liz really is that she is my trainer, then why doesn't that matter with Winnie?" She broke off thinking about Liz as they approached the next rapid.

"All back," Lena called out as she adjusted their angle and slowly moved the raft until it was centered right above the tongue she wanted to hit. "Right back, one time," she told her paddlers. As soon as the raft was straight, she yelled at the top of her lungs. "All ahead!" The raft slowly started to move faster than the current, but not enough to satisfy Lena. "Harder! Paddle as hard as you can!" she shouted at them while she concentrated on keeping the raft heading straight towards the wave.

They hit it dead on and crashed through the wave, riding up over it. Water sprayed all over the paddlers in front. Jasper and Reed let out huge cheers as the cold water drenched them again. It felt like riding a roller coaster. As soon as they were through, Lena turned the boat sideways to watch the other rafts come through. They all followed her line and had perfect runs too.

Bear gave Lena a high five and then looked at everyone. "That was a good run. Lena hit it just right," he said. Everyone whooped and grinned at Lena. "Just one thing," Bear continued. "It was perfect for a raft of guides who have been running rivers for weeks, know each other, and work in harmony." He looked at Lena. "You knew just how much power you would get when you called all ahead. With customers, they aren't always so quick or so together. A weak boat might not have been able to get the speed you needed. Without that momentum, you might have got caught in the wave and slid into the hole next to it.

"Never fully count on a boat of clients to do what you tell them," Bear told them. It was clear he wasn't singling out Lena, and she took it in the way he intended. After all, the other two rafts copied her. She looked over her shoulder and saw the other two trainers talking to their boats. She was pretty sure the same message was being delivered. Bear spoke up again. "Just try not to require clients to deliver the perfect response at the last moment."

Bear lifted up his hand again for another high five with Lena. "That said, nice set up and run, Lena," he repeated. She smiled and smacked his hand as hard as she could. Turning the raft to point downstream again, she read the river and began to set up her next run. She kept Bear's warning in mind. It went well with what Rikki told her about setting up early. The rest of her time guiding went well and Bear praised her at the end of it.

Once she wasn't guiding anymore, Lena found it harder not to pay attention to Liz as she continued to flirt with Winnie. Usually Liz's rafts were more serious than the other two. Liz's hard ass demeanor usually put everyone on edge. Today was different. It wasn't just Winnie. Liz joked with everyone, but the interplay with Winnie came through to Lena most. Her good mood from guiding slowly disappeared. By the time they got to the takeout, it was gone.

It took a while to get all the gear put away. Nobody changed until the last piece was in the van. Liz still had her drysuit sealed. Normally she would have unzipped it, but the trainees were doing almost all the work so it helped keep her warm and dry.

Now that they were done, Liz looked around. Rikki was close by, checking the straps holding down the rafts. "Hey, Rikki. Would you help unzip me?" Liz asked. The heavy-duty waterproof zipper ran across her back from shoulder to shoulder. While she could do it alone, it was awkward. She turned to face away from Rikki with her arms straight out.

Rikki turned to Winnie and nodded. Winnie ran off while Rikki slowly walked over to her friend. "Sure! I'm happy to help," she said. As she got to Liz and took ahold of the zipper, she heard Winnie coming back. She pulled firmly and unzipped the drysuit. The gap in the back opened up.

Just before Liz stepped away, she felt someone grab the bottom of the gap and pull it even wider. A second later, a bucket full of freezing water was dumped down her back. With a scream, she sprung away and whirled around. With a huge grin, Rikki held up one of the bailing buckets. Next to her was her partner in crime, Winnie. She had on an apologetic smile.

"She made me!" Winnie said with her hands up. "It was all her!"

"Consider us even, Elizabeth!" Rikki gleefully said. After an initial stunned shock, everyone else started to laugh. "I told you. When you least expect it."

"God damn it. Rikki! That was fucking cold and I was going to wear my fleece home!" Liz yelled at her.

"You know what they say. Revenge is a dish best served cold!" Rikki told her. She raised her hand and Winnie high fived it without thinking. Liz looked at Rikki's accomplice who instantly regretted the gesture.

"Rikki will just get me back again in a worse way if I do anything to her," Liz said menacingly. "You... Now we are no longer even." She took a step towards Winnie, who ducked behind Rikki.

"Rikki help! Don't let her get me," Winnie yelled.

"Sorry, Hun. Liz is right. I was just getting her back. Anything more and she will need to get me again." Rikki widened her eyes in seeming innocence. "Plus, what did she do to you?" she said as she raised her arms to make it easier for Liz.

With the water sloshing down in her legs, Liz was slower than usual. It didn't matter. Winnie had nowhere to go, and no one responded to her pleas for help. They were all laughing too hard. Finally Liz caught Winnie and lifted her up in her arms. Automatically, Winnie's arm went up and around Liz's neck. Her cheek pressed against Liz's neck. When Liz started to walk towards the big slow pool of water at the takeout, Winnie shrieked again. Exactly how Liz planned to get her revenge suddenly became clear. Linking her fingers, she tightened her grip around Liz's neck.

"If I go in, you're going in!" Winnie told Liz. The evil way Liz chuckled worried Winnie.

The moment Liz picked up Winnie, Lena stopped laughing. The humor in the situation disappeared for her. She felt the familiar feeling of jealousy return. Once again, the beautiful blonde had Liz's attention. It was even worse since Liz was holding her. "I wish Rikki asked me to help," Lena thought. Even that idea didn't help. Maybe Liz wouldn't have reacted the same with her. Maybe she really was flirting with Winnie. Lena didn't even realize how unhappy she looked at that moment.

Wading into the water until she was waist deep, Liz turned her head to look at Winnie. "I don't think I'm going in," she said. Winnie tightened her grip even more. Unfortunately when Liz began to tickle her ribs with one hand and her knee with the other, maintaining that grip proved impossible. Her whole body jerked and her hands started to come loose. All it took at that point was a little push from Liz and Winnie dropped into the water.

"Ahhhhhh!" Winnie screamed and tried to get to her feet. On her first attempt, she was off balance and fell back into the water. Liz was already slogging her way back onto dry land. Having the legs of her drysuit filled with water made it difficult. Finally, Winnie managed to get to her feet and she ran back to shore, getting out of the cold water as quickly as she could.

Winnie scowled at Rikki. "You set me up!" she said. The accusing way she said it only made Rikki smile more.

"I didn't start this little war," Rikki said with a giggle. "And you didn't have to help me. I can't be blamed if Liz decided to get revenge on you." They started walking towards her SUV. Rikki smiled in a more sympathetic way. "Thanks for helping me get her back. I appreciate your noble sacrifice." She gently bumped her shoulder against Winnie's.

After a moment, Winnie bumped back. "You're welcome. It wasn't so bad. It isn't like I wasn't already wet." She chuckled, and sneaked a look over at Liz who was still making her way out of the water. "Unlike Liz!" Winnie said with a grin. "Good one, Rikki!"

"The bitch has known me forever," Rikki said. The way she said it made it clear that bitch was a term of affection right then. "She should have learned a long time ago not to mess with me, yet she always seems to forget that."

"I won't make that mistake," Winnie said before adding, "Again!" When Rikki gave her a little hug as they walked side by side, her grin grew a little bigger.

Lena was already just about done changing. She pulled a fleece top over her head and then carefully pulled out her hair and combed it a few times. She was sitting in the passenger seat of her car. She watched as Liz pulled off her drysuit. The water in the legs made it much harder to take off. Finally, she got it off and turned it upside down to drain it. The water from her soaking wet fleece streamed down to join the rivulet of water heading back to the river. Despite how uncomfortable it looked, Liz didn't seem to be in a bad mood. In fact, it was more like that night in the bar when Lena was recruited for guide training than any time since, Lena thought to herself.

Remembering that night prompted Lena to get up and walk over to Liz. The parking lot was emptying of cars as people took off. Some would be stopping at the tavern down the road. Lena wasn't sure if she would join them. "It might depend upon what Liz says," she thought to herself.

As she approached, Liz looked up at Lena. She pulled off her wet fleece bottoms and hung them over the door to the van. Standing on a little mat, her long legs were on display. They were well toned, as Lena would expect, but very pale in contrast to her face and hands. Still, they were nice legs and reminded Lena of just how attractive Liz was. The nervousness in her belly became noticeable.

"You look cold," Lena said. The wind was picking up and there were big goose bumps showing on those legs. "Need anything? I've got a spare fleece jacket in the car," she asked.

Just then, Liz grabbed her fleece top and pulled it over her head. She threw it into the back of the van. All she had on now was her bra and panties. Since she didn't expect to get wet, she didn't wear a bathing suit like with a wetsuit. The beige material clung to her body and was rendered semitransparent from being wet. Lena fought to control where she looked. She was mostly successful.

"Thanks, but I'm okay," Liz said as she turned to lean into the van, presenting her perfect ass. There was nothing Lena could do now. She stared at it, taking it all in, including the obvious tuft of hair that became visible as Liz stretched and lifted one foot. Liz stayed like that for a moment while she rummaged through her bag. "I've been doing this too long to come without a change of clothes." Getting what she wanted, she straightened up. Lena quickly averted her eyes.

When Liz reached behind her back, Lena realized she was about to take her bra off. She quickly turned around. Hearing Liz chuckle, she felt her face turn red and was glad that she was facing the other way. There was a rustle of clothing and an occasional brush as Liz twisted to get dressed without stepping off the mat into the mud. "Thanks for acting as a screen," Liz said as she threw her panties and bra up onto the door of the van. "I'm decent now."

Lena turned around and saw that Liz was sitting on the driver's seat putting on her socks and shoes. She had on a tight t-shirt and low-rider jeans. Lena was sure that when Liz stood, a little of her flat belly would be exposed. From the way her nipples pointed through the shirt, Lena guessed Liz didn't have a spare bra with her. Liz gave her that slightly impersonal smile Lena was now used to seeing over the last few weeks.

"Thanks again for the offer, Lena," Liz said.

"Ah, no problem," Lena replied. She fidgeted but didn't say anything more. Just as she was about to give up, Liz looked directly into her eyes.

"Was there something else," Liz gently asked. It was probably the warmest thing she had said since training started.

"Yeah, I guess there is. I get it. I understand why you have to be the teacher. You want to do the best job possible and flirting would get in the way of that. I didn't expect that, so it took me some time to adjust, but now I get it," Lena said.

Liz nodded. "Good. Don't take it personal. I just need to be unbiased," she said.

Lena looked at her. It was still hard to say what she wanted to. Finally, she just let it out. "So why is it okay to flirt with Winnie? She doesn't even swing our way! I don't get it. You can flirt with her and not with me?"

Reaching out, Liz put her hand on Lena's shoulder. There was a bit of the sparkle in her eyes that reminded Lena of when they met. "Exactly," she said. "With Winnie, it's just having fun. It could have been one of the guys. Nothing is going to happen. I couldn't do that if I was interested in her. That's why I can flirt with her and not with you, Lena. It won't lead to anything with Winnie."

As Liz finished speaking, Lena felt the nervousness in her stomach harden into a ball. It was a long time since someone had this kind of impact on her. "Oh," she said. "Okay." She turned to head back to her car. She took a couple of steps and then turned around again.

"Does this mean we can go out after guide training?"

Liz looked at the woman standing in front of her. Her brown hair was wet from standing in the falling rain. Her body was covered up in a waterproof ski parka with what looked like surplus army pants she found somewhere. Despite all that, Lena was still undeniably beautiful. "Not in the same way as Indigo," Liz couldn't help thinking. "Indigo is just as beautiful, but with that hint of girl next door. Lena is head cheerleader gorgeous, the girl everyone lusts after."

The silence stretched out. Finally, Liz replied. "Ask me again after guide training is done," she said with an enigmatic smile. Lena's beaming smile in return was easier to read. There was also a happy skip to her walk as she went back and got in her car.

Liz watched as Lena pulled out of the parking lot. There were only a few cars left. Winnie and Rikki looked like they were almost ready to go. Liz went over to them. As she got close, Winnie squealed, slammed the door shut and then locked it. Liz laughed as Winnie stuck her tongue out at her.

"We are all even now!" Liz told her, looking at her through Rikki's still open door.

"I'm taking no chances! I'm finally almost dry," Winnie said as she dried her hair with a towel.

Liz thought Rikki looked very satisfied with herself. "She should be," she thought. "She got me back much worse than I got her."

Rikki noticed the twinkle in Liz's eye. "Hey, we are even now, Elizabeth. You don't want me to have to get revenge twice. It won't be pretty."

Shaking her head no, Liz laughed. "After all these years, you don't think I know that? Disproportionate retaliation, the Rikki Doctrine! I'm quitting while I can."

"Okay," Rikki told her. She still sounded a little wary.

"Hey are you two going to the bar?" Liz asked.

"Not this time. Samuel wants to meet some friends and watch a basketball game. He has been good about my time away, so I want to be nice back," Rikki said. At Liz's scowl, she shook her head. "Don't be like that. Anyway, it's some mommy-boy time with Kieran. He misses me on these weekends," she added.

At the mention of her godson, Liz's expression softened. "Okay, well that's a good excuse. Give the little guy a hug from me."

"I will. He asks when 'Lizbeth' is going to come by, you know," Rikki told her.

"I'll try. Let me know when Samuel is going to abandon you some week night," Liz said.

"Okay, I'll call you," Rikki said as she hugged her friend. From Liz's response, Rikki was certain that she was horny. Whether it was at the tavern or later in town, some gal was going to get lucky tonight. Having watched the byplay today, Rikki knew it wouldn't be either Indigo or Lena. "Ah, Elizabeth," she thought. "What tangled situations you manage to get into."

Sticking her head inside the SUV, Liz looked at Winnie. "What about you? One of us can get you home if you want," Liz said.

"Thanks but I'm worn out. It was a long week on top of today, plus we still have tomorrow. I'm going home and getting into a hot bath; then I'm going to bed."

Despite what she said to Lena, Liz couldn't help thinking about Winnie naked in the bath. Like the two other women, she was gorgeous. It was in her own unique way too. With Winnie, it was a perky beauty with more innocence to her than the others had. Maybe it was her big blue eyes with her blonde hair. Lena was too exotic to be considered innocent and Indigo just had a mischievous quality about her that made it impossible to see her in that same light as Winnie.

Even though Rikki was right next to her, Liz refused compare her to the other women. "It doesn't help things to think that way," she told herself. Anyways, Rikki would come out on top the times she did. She always came out on top. She came back to the present and pulled back out of the SUV.

"That sounds nice too," Liz told Winnie. "Have a good night, you two." She hugged Rikki one more time.

Once they drove away, Liz realized she was the last person there. Indigo and Alex left without saying goodbye. Even though she felt a little bit of disappointment, Liz knew it was for the best. "Alex isn't happy with me being with Indigo this much. It isn't fair to Indigo. I don't want to mess up what she has with Alex," she told herself. "I'm not offering her anything."