Three Hunters, One Heart

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Figures leapt from branch to branch above me. The dusk elf sentries moved with lethal grace, their silksteel armor gleaming in the silvery light of the sacred trees. All of them had weapons at the ready; though I'd passed through the sigils, I was still a potential threat.

The dozen sentries clambered down the trees, their dark cloaks fluttering in the breeze. As full-blooded dusk elves, they were shorter and thinner than I was, but that didn't stop their bright eyes from regarding me with haughty derision.

I recognized one of them as Janaeryl, a high-ranking ranger who had led my escort out of Qal-Tesh before my hunt.

"Well, well, well," she said in a low, husky voice as she stepped forward to glare up at me. "The half-breed returns empty-handed. A grim outcome, if not entirely unexpected."

I bit back a snarl.

"I did something far grander than return with the heart: I instead used that heart to lift the drought. The valley beyond the glade will prosper again. They'll no longer blame Qal-Tesh for their troubles and their desperation will cause no conflict with us."

"Aye, the scout birds did notice the rain. An impressive feat, if you were the one responsible." Janaeryl tutted and shook her head. "But breaking the drought was not your task, was it?"

"If I can speak to the Archon, I-"

"Half-bloods don't speak to the Archon, especially not ones who are failures," Janaeryl hissed. "And I was there at the ceremony when you were given a simple command. A simple command that you failed to obey. The Archon himself saw your return through the scout-birds, too. Who do you think sent us here to greet you?"

I glanced up at one of the two-headed birds roosting upon a branch above, wondering if the Archon was using his magic to glare down at me through the bird's eyes even as I spoke to Janaeryl.

Deep down in my heart, I had known that this would be the likely outcome. It stung like a blade, of course. Pain and sorrow roared within me. I'd been so close. The hellraven's heart had been within my reach.

All it would have taken was betraying my lovers and dooming the valley to endless drought.

Without a word, I turned around.

"Where in the Voids do you think you're going?" Janaeryl asked with a harsh burst of laughter. "There's still work to be done. Arachnils are assailing the southern wards and there's signs of an ogre nest towards the west. Even a half-blood can still fight and kill."

I ignored her, marching northward as I balled my hands into fists. She shouted after me again. The two-headed songbirds shrieked from the branches above. Tears nearly blossomed once again, but fury kept my sorrow at bay.

Hours later I trudged out of the gloomy forest and found my lovers encamped upon a little hill at the edge of the forest. They looked up from their cookfire. Eselda smiled just for a moment at the sight of me, then the expression shifted to a fierce glare.

"Bloody Voids," she spat. "Did you tell them they'd have to answer to me, hmm?"

Kestrel tutted and rose to her feet, closing the distance between us in a few seconds. I leaned against her soft body as we embraced.

"I am so sorry, Selakiir."

"If they're so foolish that they can't recognize your strength and worth, they don't deserve you," Eselda said firmly.

"I concur," Kestrel said, turning to nuzzle my cheek as her fingers ran through my hair.

Eselda approached, wrapping her arms around us both.

After a few heavy breaths I finally found the strength to speak.

"I want to leave," I said. "Far from this place. I want to...find my own way. I want to find other people to help, other monsters to slay, other crises to solve. I can't live a life shackled to Qal-Tesh's notions of pure blood."

"That's the spirit," Eselda said, cupping my cheek. "We can head to Nenhaar, sell off the other parts we've gathered. That city is full of problems that need solving and people that need helping." Her amber eyes twinkled. "And it's also full of fancy taverns with comfortable beds. Maybe the three of us can fuck in a proper bed for once, eh?"

That brought an even wider smile to my face, and I rested my forehead against Eselda's as Kestrel continued to gently nuzzle against my cheek.

Grief still clung to my heart, of course. I'd lost my lifelong dream of fully ascending to become a true dusk elf. My home would continue to be a prison if I ever returned to it. I was a failure. An impure mistake.

And yet...

I could be something more. My own man, forged by my own choices, walking my own path, no matter what Qal-Tesh thought of my bloodline.

I lifted my gaze and stared northward at the fog-shrouded valley I'd helped save. The light rain still tumbled down onto the thirsty land, putting an end to a suffering far greater than my own torment.

My smile grew bright and wide.

"Before we go to Nenhaar," I said softly. "There's something else I want to do."

"Anything," Eselda murmured.

"Of course," said Kestrel.

"I want to dance in the rain with you two again."

**

Thank you for reading! For now, this is the end of Selakiir's story, though I may return to it depending on the interest and feedback.

1...5678910