All Comments on 'Throwin' Pennies in the Bay Pt. 02'

by Candy_Kane54

Sort by:
  • 12 Comments
MaonaighMaonaighabout 4 years ago
Foreign country

The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there (L P Hartley). And how things are different. There was a short article in my newspaper yesterday about a married transgender couple. The wife, while still a man, had been an army captain and had been given an official award in recognition of his work with LGBT groups in the military. Fifty years ago he would have been cashiered (dishonourably discharged in the US) and possibly even spent time in a military prison. So things have changed for the better. This was a sad and slightly bleak story showing how bigoted official policy had the potential to ruin lives without redress. Five stars excellent, Candy.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
What abut Alex?

Great story with amazing depth & feeling. We know part of Virginia's story with "Your Silver Night and Golden Days"; what happens to Alex? Will there be a Pennies Pt 3 (Pt 4?) down the road? Please?

Captain MidnightCaptain Midnightabout 4 years ago
So...

Virginia in this story went on to fall in love again in Silver Nights and Golden Days? Will the narrator be back in other stories? I felt sad for her.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
From One Veteran to Another

Thank you for your wonderful stories that show a side of the military that most people have never considered the impacts that it has on those who serve!

I retired after 21+ years in and like this story it was always a crappy choice of happiness or career. Even after don't ask-don't tell was repealed and same sex marriages approved, senior leaders (Officer & Enlisted) are still held hostage to career ending politics when it comes to same sex relationships. I decided to leave so I wouldn't have to continue risking my retirement. THANK YOU to all those who have & still do proudly risk their lives in the US military and their families. 💕

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Correction

Tinker AFB is located in Oklahoma not in Georgia as stated in the story. Loved both the Virginia Hanratty stories as well as the Candy Kane one. All well written and enjoyable to read. Thank you. I was in the USAF from 1962-1966 and I knew a few gay airmen and the fear and discomfort they lived with about being outed and discharged. It was extremely more difficult if you had a high security clearance as the security clearance was conducted by the FBI and the USAF OSI( Office of Special Investigations as it was called back then). It was similar too a witch hunt. Thank god those days are gone.0AZYKZ

Candy_Kane54Candy_Kane54about 4 years agoAuthor

Apologies for the mistake. It's supposed to be Robins AFB in Georgia. I had it in the draft but I deleted a subplot where Alex had to choose between Tinker and Robins and I retained the wrong name in the final story. I have submitted the correction which should be there in a day or so.

BillyslateBillyslateabout 4 years ago
A Loving, While Also Sad Story.

Virginia & Alex's story is a prime example of the many negative aspects of our USA Military and General Social Society's history of persecution on gender, race and religion. Fifty years ago, the USA was quite a different Country, where sexual preference adversely affected ones ability to achieve in the Military, as well as throughout Corporate America.

Like other commenters, a follow up on Alex's life after Virginia would be a quite nice story. Thanks for this "heartwarming Love story", while simultaneously being quite sad!!!

eros53eros53almost 4 years ago
Great story, sad ending

I was in the AF from 1971 to 1995 when I retired. I knew a few gay people while in, had a few work fir me, never once thought I’d outing them because of those stupid rules. They were wrong then, just as society’s negative reaction to LGBTQ People is wrong. People are people and they should be judged on their merits, not their sexual orientation. Thanks fir the stories, they are lovely, I hope they help a few people think more positively about people that are a little different.

Runner4069Runner4069about 2 years ago

Great story and such a sad ending and thank-you for sharing

Nicole2023Nicole2023over 1 year ago

Thank you for your service, i can't imagine what it is like to be near the fruit and can't bite.

AnonymousAnonymous5 months ago

Really excellent, the sex almost superfluous.

LiberalMindsLiberalMinds3 months ago

As much as I enjoy your stories, I can’t go on reading. It is too painful. And I don’t really understand that people are willing to forsake love and happiness for a career.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userCandy_Kane54@Candy_Kane54
*** IN MEMORIAM *** 13JUN23 - It is with a heavy heart that I inform you that Maonaigh had passed on 11JUN23. I hadn't expected it since he had just written me 06JUN23 about his next lesbian story he was working on. Apparently he had been quite sick for some time. His body wa...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES