Tiger by the Tail

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"My God, they're both crazy."

"Mum thought that too as did I when we heard Jenni's reasoning."

"Chester came home at 7:00 as usual and found Ruth looking dishevelled, asleep beside a well depleted bottle of gin. He found Jenni on her bed, starting at the ceiling as if in a near coma, her nose broken, blood having flowing from a cut inside her mouth, the top of one ear was split, her face was badly bruised as were her shoulders, breasts and back. But when he cried "Oh my God," she turned and greeted him, and asked had he had a good day."

"They speculated at the hospital she must have placed herself into some sort of trace to cope with her injuries. She claimed she'd fallen over but admitted in private to Chester what had happened as he'd said he should be calling the police.

Instead, he concocted a story that his daughter had fallen from an apple tree, striking her head on a dog kennel and apparently then rolling into the rockery. Chester and the senior physician were in the same Rotary Club. It was agreed Jenni had indeed suffered from a most unusual fall. Mum told us that the Lovelocks had never owned a dog."

Harris scoffed, "I would have never believed that story. The welts surely must have looked inconsistent with a fall. I suppose those two professional men silently stared each other down and agreed a lie was better than the truth."

"Excellent reasoning, Harris. It's probably what happened. Good old Rotary, eh, or at least the fellowship it generates. The next day mum took Ruth to see Jenni. I can't remember exactly how it went but Ruth was bent over in grief. Jenni said, 'Apologize to me mum and it's all over. Let's get on trying a little harder as being mother and daughter'. Mum told us it was the most amazing act of both forgiveness and contrition she'd ever witnessed."

Harris didn't find this very plausible and said so. "It sounds heroic, being bashed and then being so willing to forgive but one would expect Jenni to hate her mother for life."

"Okay, I was getting to this, the amazing bit. When I visited Jenni that evening, she'd been released from hospital that afternoon, she told me it was the only time she could recalled Ruth hitting her, apart from a quick smack or cuff. Then she said she'd opposed her mother on at least one thing ever day of her life, making small things into a confrontation. And yet her mother never hit her. Instead she would turn the confrontation into a debate and either win it, lose it or throw up her hands in frustration and walk away."

"Jenni said she'd been a brat, because that's how she was and at last had received the thrashing she deserved. I said no, she had no right to say that. But Jenni just smiled through her bruises she had to consider the feelings and effects of pain and injury as part of discipline in judo so her mother had helped greatly with training. Her mother also had unwittingly given Jenni and near life-time of adversary training to prepare her for legal roles."

Harris had reached his limit. "Oh, come on, Jolene; that's over-stretching credibility' that's bullshit."

Jolene just smiled.

Exasperated, Harris went to the chilly bin and hauled out a can of fruit juice for Jolene and a beer.

"Thanks darling. If you had been a gentleman like this to Jenni, she would have been going to dinner with you this evening."

"I shot my mouth off. In the end I did apologize."

Harris wiped his mouth and smiled thinly. "I arrogantly told Jenni to call me if she changed her mind."

"Yes, a gentleman would have said he'd call to enquire whether his apology had been accepted and he would be delighted if she'd accompany him to dinner."

"I don't like bending for women, you know that Jolene. Oh, your mother said she thought Jenni would call me."

"Well, mum was there during your scrap, I guess. She knows Jenni so smile - you have a dinner date this evening. Jenni's not afraid of anyone, Harris so if you have any romantic thoughts about her, you'd best proceed with finesse if you really want to kiss her or whatever. Actually, you two would look well together, but alas."

"Alas what?"

"I picture you two being like two aroused tom cats thrown into a box and the lid closed."

"Thank you very much. I suppose you're going to tell me Jenni was right; that even before her bruises disappeared her attentive mother was at her side taking on a caring role?"

"Very astute. That's exactly what happened. You even were accurate with the word 'attentive'. In attempting to reform, Ruth found it impossible to transform into a loving mother. That's just not Ruth."

"Is Jenni capable of loving?"

"Yes, she's come very close to loving me. Her affection is deep and apparent to me, or at least it was up to six months ago which is when I last saw her when your father and I stayed with her for four days in London."

Harris thanked Jolene for being so cooperative and helpful. He was off as he had a wad of reports to process.

He was unlatching the gate when Jolene called, "Harris, don't bother attempting to find how far you can get with her unless you commit to play her like a violin."

He laughed and said Jolene was an excellent counsel.

* * *

Returning home, Jenni went into her father's messy office and on his home, laptop entered the name Leyland Roebuck and immediately the contact details came up. It was 3:15. She called him.

"Good afternoon Mr Roebuck, it's Chester Lovelock's daughter Jenni. You visited me in London."

"Yes of course, we had a great time with you, didn't we? Jolene told me you were coming home; we must have you to dinner. Call me Leyland."

"Thank you. I have a confidential question for you. I apologize for the intrusion on a business matter on a Sunday but..."

"Think nothing of it. I'm alone, having lunch. This diversion is welcome."

"Lunch, at 3:15?"

"I'm in Sydney dear. What's the question?"

"If I were to become Harris' personal legal counsel, it has been mooted, is that likely in any way to interfere with my father's relationship with you? I ask this because I'm going into partnership with Chester and have no wish to initiate any conflict of interest."

"No, I don't see any problems except should Harris engage you, there may be some business overlapping which could ruffle feathers with our internal legal team as well as our outside consultants."

"I anticipate that but those are issues for my client to handle, should he move to engage me."

"He's approached you rather than you approached him?"

"Yes."

"Well, a 'yes' is emphatic, leaving no room for fudging. That completes the business then?"

"Yes, thank you."

"Stay chatting for a moment. Now this is confidential. To put it bluntly, I moved a little too hasty and landed my son in the crap at head office. I was hoping Chester could cool his hot head and advise how Harris should handle himself against such formidable odds."

Jenni said, "They may have spoken. To be frank, that problem fits me like a glove. I enjoy adversity and am practised at dealing with it. If Harris raises it with me tonight, I shall tell him that. He has the additional problem of not knowing where the entrenched legal consultants stand on this issue."

"And where should they stand, Jennie?"

"With the chief executive unless it can be shown he's incompetent to manage effectively."

Leyland bristled. "He's totally competent."

"Then they should be totally supporting the chief executive, the founder's son."

"You've got balls, young lady."

"How sweet of you to say that; I do take that theoretical concept as a compliment."

"Smart with words too. You said tonight, then you're seeing Leyland tonight, Sunday?"

"Yes, I think we're going to dinner."

"Does that mean he hasn't asked you yet?"

Jenni swallowed. Damn, Leyland was drawing too much information from her. Well, the truth is always best.

"I turned him down after he was rude."

A belly laugh sounded in Sydney.

"That might be a first for my son."

"Well, he did apologize and when he left, he said please call him if I change my mind."

Another belly laugh followed.

"Did he now; I taught him that line. It usually works once tempers have cooled."

She admitted it had turned out with him being out of line but imbued with a touch of latent appeal.

"I'm making him dither and will call him just before 9:30 when he'll be so wound up, he'll be ready to punch a hole in the wall."

Leyland said his steak had arrived so he better attend to it.

"I must ask Jolene about you; you are quite a character, Miss Lovelock."

"Enjoy that steak, Leyland. Bye."

Jenni's parents had gone out to early dinner with friends. When they arrived home just before 9:00 they found Jenni dressed, ready to go out. She was watching tennis on TV.

"Are you dinning on the second shift; you look rather over-dressed to be going to a club?"

"I'm waiting to arrange a date for dinner. Watch this game with me, mum - male athletes at their best. It will go to the wall."

"Right, I will. I'll change into my sleepwear."

Chester watched her go than said, "She's attempting to be nice; she never watches sport."

"Mellowing with age. You might get lucky tonight."

"I'm still capable of washing out your mouth, young lady," her father said, moving to tousle her hair but then obviously noted it was beautifully done and held with combs so dropped his hand on to her shoulder. "I'm glad you're joining me at the office; it completes a dream and your mother bears no resentment."

"Are you sure of that?"

"Yes," she offered that very comment on the drive home."

Jenni told her father about her conversation with Leyland. He tensed and said that was akin to breaching client confidentiality even if Leyland was closely related.

"Harris is not my client yet."

"That's splitting hairs."

"Isn't that what law is about? I think so and it's what I do best."

"I had to make my point, Jenni. As you know I never sail close to the wind. Integrity and dependability mean everything to me and self-discipline. I do acknowledge it was a move to ensure Leyland was comfortable with your intention."

"My intention?"

"That boy needs you more than you need him, Jenni. His career is on the line if he doesn't handle this mess that he's in successfully, he'll also lose Leyland's confidence in him."

"That boy as you call him is no wimp; he just needs a little support. This will be one of the few times his concept of master and servant in a working relationship has been challenged by the servants. This reaction will have thrown him a bit."

Chester was complimentary.

"An excellent analysis. The next step is for him to accurately identify the stirrer within their ranks and deal with him or her. It is likely to be the executive considered heir-apparent for the CEO's chair."

"There could be more than one self-appointed lieutenant."

"Yes, Jenni; quite right."

"Jenni is usually right Chester," Ruth said, returning to the cosy TV room with its very old and accommodating chair that appear to grow even more comfortable as the years passed. She sat carefully, clutching the bottom of her gown, indicating she was wearing nothing under the gown. Chester caught Jenni's wink and studied the ceiling.

"I really don't expect you'll find a restaurant taking in new diners after 9:00 on a Sunday night dear."

"Auckland has become rather more cosmopolitan and consumer-friendly since your days of dining out late, mother."

"Well, I suppose you can always try one of the five-star hotels."

Jenni said that wouldn't be necessary; they would probably agree on eating Italian because European countries have a centuries old tradition in food service for people who tended to eat late.

Ignoring the rationale of that, Ruth went where her mind was.

"Who are you dining with, obviously male by the way you are dressed. Did you date someone on the aircraft?"

"A potential client."

"He must be very important to rate a dinner date?"

"That rates as an understatement."

"Are you going to tell me who he is?"

Jenni teased just one step more:

"Do you really have to know?"

The tight lips silently answered yes.

"Harris Roebuck."

Jenni looked at the time. Quarter past the hour; he'd been strung out long enough.

Her mother said, "I find it difficult that Harris Roebuck would want to date you; he can have anyone he wants and does."

Jenni dialled the number she'd earlier inserted into her phone book.

"Harris, here's the call you requested. I've changed my mind. Pick me up at home in ten minutes if that's suitable. Fine. Come in as my mother would like to meet you; she's still particular who I go out with at nights. Bye."

Jenni turned just in time to see her mother rushing through the doorway to get dressed.

"That has her excited, dad. You owe me one."

"I expected age would mellow you, my girl. If anything, you seem to be getting worse."

"Why don't you put out the whisky and a bottle of beer? Then Harris will have to sit, allowing mum to get a good look at him and put him through the old suitability test."

"She wouldn't dare."

"Well, you known your wife better than I do."

"Oh Christ, this is going to be so embarrassing."

Jenni ruffled her Shaggy Dog's hair.

"Come on dad, she's always done that. Rather than be embarrassed, enjoy watching Harris squirm."

"You're a very strange woman, Jenni, which makes two in the family."

"Get a haircut, dad."

Harris arrived at 42 Longfellow Avenue wearing light blue jeans, short cowboy boots, green and purple mottled shirt and a beautifully tailored white jacket and silver medallion on a neck chain.

Jenni opened the door; her supporting knees wobbled.

"God, you look beautiful."

She speculated if it hadn't been for her years of sports training, she'd had lost it, fallen against him and whispered to be mauled. They say sport is good for you.

"You're not looking too bad yourself. Come in and meet mother. I still have the same father you met yesterday."

Harris laughed, nervously she thought, as she led the way to the TV room.

"Dad, say hi to Harris and give him a whisky or beer please. Where's mum?"

"About to arrive, I expect. Good evening, Harris. You look, err, trendy."

"Yes, Chester, it is a good evening, getting better by the minute. Trendy you call it? I've dressed aiming at the middle because I'm uncertain whether we'll be fine-dining or eating pizza."

"Females enjoy keeping males in a confused state, don't they?"

"You appear to be the expert, Chester."

Jenni rolled her eyes and announced, "Here's Madam Ruth Lovelock."

Ruth swept into the room, hair piled high and wearing her latest blue dress - most of her dresses are blue, thought Jenni - and Italian shoes with 5-inch heels she'd bought the previous day. She was dressed for going out to dinner, fine dining.

"Harris, this vision of loveliness is my mother Ruth Lovelock. Mother, this is Harris, the charismatic son of Leyland Roebuck who you know is married to Jolene. Think carefully and you'll remember you and dad attending the wedding along with I guess 350 other guests. I was in London at the time."

Ruth looked slightly stunned by the extravagance of the introduction; Chester stood over the drinks tray, mouth hanging open.

Harris didn't disappoint. "It is my greatest pleasure meeting you, Mrs Lovelock. Jenni has told me so much about you."

"But you've only met Jenni the once and that was at Sarah's home, and she'd be doing most of the talking. Chester and I met you briefly when your father married Jolene.

"Yes, I do remember. Regarding my opening comments, you'll know how men tend to exaggerate when faced by an attractive woman."

"Oh my, Ruth said weakly. "Whisky Chester and what will you have, Mr Roebuck?"

"Harris, please."

"Oh, what a sweet name. Harris it shall be."

"You have bred and raised a beautiful daughter, Mrs Lovelock."

"Bred?"

"A process way back at the beginning."

"Oh yes, whatever am I thinking."

An hour later the couple left for late dinner. Just as Jolene had predicted, they looked wonderful together.

Chapter 3

Earlier, Harris finished his reports and sat back in his leather chair, hands behind his head. His wall clock was almost at 8:00. Damn the woman, he thought. No woman had ever treated him like this; she was inhuman.

Irritated, he thought he'd make coffee and a chicken sandwich as he was about to go down the stairs, he thought of asking Jolene if she wanted coffee. He went into his parents' wing and found Jolene wasn't in the TV room so he entered the adjoining bedroom without knocking.

"Yes," Jolene said coldly.

"Oh Christ, I didn't knock. For that I apologize. I seem to be under stress but that's no reason to drop into bad form."

Jolene was in her underwear. Although apologizing, Harris didn't look away; she looked too good to pass on this opportunity. Beautifully tanned, she was the voyager's dream, not that he saw himself as one of those. She was totally dressed in shades of soft peach, wearing one of those corset thingies that turned into a bra as well as pushing up her lovely and not overly large breasts. Straps at the bottom held up colour-toned stockings and her thong was peachy also.

"You look great."

"I prefer you not seeing my like this."

"You're more revealing physically in your bikini, that is, when you have it on."

"I'm dressing for your father. He arrives on the late flight."

"Lucky man."

"Harris!" The warning was clear.

"Relax. You have a body screaming to be looked at. I though you have learned to trust me."

"Oh yeah, and then what. Caught with my pants down?"

"Nothing I want more than you to be a loving and faithful wife to my father, Jolene., Everything I desire I don't take; you have to believe that if we are to survive living so closely like this. I don't want you to cover up when I approach at bad moments. I just want you to be yourself with me. We both know you are my stepmother."

"At least I do."

Harris reminded her of the pact he made with her before the wedding after striding up and kissing her, and she kissing him right back. He stepped away and made his declaration that they must promise never to go beyond a kiss. They agreed and sealed it with a kiss, a chaste kiss.

"Do you accept I have the integrity to keep that agreement?"

Jolene was slow to answer but said yes.

"Excellent, I'm making myself coffee and a chicken sandwich. Same for you?"

"Just coffee thanks, I'll join you in the kitchen. You're a nice guy, Harris."

"Thanks. And my father's lucky having you."

In the chef's kitchen, as Leyland employed a chef, a kitchen assistant and a maid-housekeeper as he entertained at home rather a lot, Jolene noticed Harris glance at the clock for the third time in as many minutes.

"I take it Jenni hasn't called."

"No," he said a little sharply.

"This is how it feels for women when you fail to call on schedule or on hope."

"It's a bloody uncomfortable feeling."

"Jenni is the wrong person for you, even in business, if you expect her to react to you like a wind-up doll."

"You made that clear earlier."

"I'm trying to warn you in the nicest possible way without betraying my best friend that she's not an easy person; in her younger days some thought she was dangerous. She has mood swings, just like her mother."

"An air of unpredictability makes her sound even more interesting."

"Harris, take the warning seriously."

"Nothing is ever going to happen. She won't phone now."

"She will; you're been taught a gentle lesson for hard-nosing her."

A minute after Jolene left the room Harris' phone went.

He took the call with relief and when clicking his phone shut after speaking to Jenni, he heard Jolene running down the stairs. She flew into the kitchen, looking excited. "It was her, wasn't it? You face has relaxed. I've never seen you so uptight as today."