Tiger by the Tail

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes, she's invited me to meet her mother. I best go now. If what you say is correct, Jenni won't be the type of woman who'd relish being keep waiting."

"That's the problem, Harris. She is so complex. I don't believe she cares about being kept waiting providing she has something to occupy herself with and the reason for lateness is reasonable. But if you don't show up, and you'll be history. It will be too hard for you, Harris; it's not worth the bother. You have an unlimited number of easy-going, intelligent and beautiful women at your disposal. If one is not enough, take up with two."

"Those women are basically clones, Jolene. This one is different, you told me that."

"Oh, cool action hero, eh. You've going after her as a challenge."

"Tell her that, Jolene and you'll be history. Bye, be lovely to dad."

Driving over to Longfellow Avenue, took long enough for Harris to set strategy. This was a business date seeking a definite outcome. It had nothing to do with seduction and he'd best remember that after a few glasses of wine. He'd invite her to make her pitch to secure him as a client and she'd would have to be very persuasive or simply opt for the tried and true, according to her father.

He walked to the door telling himself he'd had hundreds of dates, carrying the majority off without a hitch no matter what kind of mood he was in or how desperate the women were to try to woo him. This one was different; it was business with perhaps a hint of possible fiery romance dangling above it.

The door opened and he swallowed, hard. How could she damn well look so beautiful?

In a surge of madness, he thought about pulling her down on to the floor and whispering his desire to have his way with her and was seeking her permission to proceed. That moment flashed by and he gained the impression she was pleased to see him, more than a little pleased in fact.

Hello, what was going on here?

She led him inside, her hand cool against his. Was he happy or was he not!

* * *

The waitress at Sergio's welcomed them warmly. The air hung with garlic and other wafting delights and only a half dozen couples in the restaurant, Italian looking people apart from two women who appeared to be Kiwis and lovers as well.

"A discreet booth?" the waitress smiled knowingly.

"Yes please," Jenni said, but turning to look over her shoulder at her escort said, "Unless?"

"Front of house. Over here under the window, thank you Maria."

"I'm Lisa sir. Which instruction do I take?"

"Lead us to the window table, Lisa," Jenni said with authority.

Lisa left them looking at the menus and wine list.

Jenni smiled sweetly. "I would have thought a seasoned campaigner like you would have taken a booth and had a leg working on your companion's leg before the drinks order was taken?"

What was this? At least she'd smiled. A little confused, he smiled and said when accompanied by a lady he acted differently. The lighting was low but he fancied he detected a light blush.

They ordered, Harris asking if their mains could be served in forty-five minutes. Lisa said that would be fine, the restaurant didn't close until midnight.

Jenni seemed to hang on to every mouthful of her starter; it was only Caesar salad with shrimp. Harris figured she probably ate slowly to feel full faster as a weight-control tactic; her admired her for that.

He twirled his fork and spoon into his Fettuccine Alfredo with enthusiasm as he was very hungry. When their plates were cleared, he said, "Right, make your pitch."

Time for her to impress.

* * *

Jenni had tried not to bolt her salad, she was starving. She was impressed by Harris' restaurant style, having things done to suit him, choosing the table, delaying mains and sending the tainted water back and asking for bottled water in an ice-bucket.

Lisa complimented him for being discerning, saying he was the second person that evening to reject the tap water. He also conversed with style, not dominating, listening to Jenni and picking up the flow whenever it appeared to be faltering.

Now it was time to woo him.

"I am aware of your situation at your office. It's intolerable and you have my sympathy. I desire to help you put internal problems right and to carry on and offer you a personal service to provide you with a blanket of legal protection and assist you to analyse significant problems as they arise if your decide internal legal advice is not your preferable option."

"You require outside support with your internal troubles at the office, very personal support. I would suggest your personal legal service is an option if you have doubts about where the company's law department stands in, for example, in this issue. If think your corporate outside consultants of long-standing don't appear to be the right fit, proceed with caution."

"This choice needs to be a high priority as does analysing the whole situation and trying to identify who's for you, who's against you and who are bunched somewhere in between. Incisive action needs to be taken against the main culprit or culprits, knowing it is likely the chief candidate for the position you took who is probably keeping his or her nose clean to avoid attracting your father's wrath."

Harris asked, "Why would Chris Black, the suspected ring-leader, wish to avoid that?"

Jenni replied simply, "Should the coup succeed. he's shown as having nothing to mark him as a reactionary."

"Of course, and thereby assuring himself of the once again vacant chair at the top if I were to fall from grace permanently."

"Exactly."

"The attack can so quickly, so unexpectedly, it caught me by surprise and I simply looked to heads to crack rather than dwell on motivations."

Jenni said smoothly, "From the little I've been told, it seems that you have counter-attacked by facing them all, looking to pick out anyone showing any sign of stepping out of line. The real flaw to that is you've giving them time to plot and mount a full attack when it suits them."

"That's true, but I consider it was and remains my best option."

"Perhaps."

"What, you see other options?"

"One in particular: the old divide and conquer trick. Pick out the prime suspects and send them overseas on real missions."

Harris nodded in agreement.

"You could, of course, go much further. While that is happening, bring in consultants commissioned to conduct an aggressive performance review of all executives and requiring those overseas to cut their trip short to participate this review which is a vital element in an unexpected opportunity to down-size corporate administration to out-source as much work as possible."

"At the same time, you could invite all senior executives to meet with you and discuss their thoughts on a commercially reasonable package for (a) bulk redundancies and (b) bulk demotions. You would emphasise that the outcomes depend on the performance review findings and your study on the feasibility downsizing administration."

"That's brilliant Jenni. On one hand, it scares the crap out of them but the hint that it might not go through leaves them in doubt about jumping ship and losing long service entitlements. This will be costly, but it could snuff out the revolt very quickly and in the long run would cost less in expenditure, disruption and the effects of a drop in staff morale than the sapping cost of prolonged trench warfare."

"Alternatively..." Jenni stopped.

"There is an alternative?"

Jenni suggested that he set up a panel of three, with herself as an independent assessor, a business psychologist, her mother would provide two or three commendations, and himself as chairman. The panel would interview all staff as the first step in a possible reorganisation of the executive wing.

"I like that but it does nothing to scare the crap out of them."

"It will if you send the suspected ring-leaders overseas. The panel begins its searching review on restructuring and you call those suspected ring-leaders back to face the panel."

"Now that is brilliant, and not too costly. But what if I make mistakes over the suspected ring-leaders?"

"Ask your father to go through the staff list with you."

"No, his just itching for me to call him in. That's my last resort; I wish to prove to him I can cope."

"That's commendable. So why not simply take the staff list home and over a beer ask him to nominate those that he suspects of being the ring-leaders. He'll know them all much better than you."

"Well yes, that's an acceptable compromise. I'll try it on him tomorrow night. "I'll be in touch Tuesday about the panel."

"Does that mean I'm hired?"

"Hell yes."

The main courses arrived and another bottle of wine was ordered, red this time.

"Come away with me next weekend."

Some peas feel off Jenni's fork and she watched them roll across the table a little distance. "Tell me more."

"My Uncle Ray and Auntie Annie are redecorating their house on Waiheke Island, making slow progress. Annie is dad's sister. She's almost ten years older and called me this morning, asking me over to help push the work along. She'd promised me a bed and all the food and liquor I want. Another pair of hands would be a bonus."

"Why not your father?"

"He's taking Jolene to fashion week in Milano; they leave on Thursday."

"Couldn't you uncle and aunt pay to have the work done commercially?"

"Ray and Annie are fiercely independent."

"Would I have to sleep with you.?"

"Not necessarily."

"Okay, advise Annie to provide catering for one more but add we'll bring some provisions."

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

"No, but if one always balked one would never experience adventure."

"That's very generous and progressive of you. Now please answer this question; it's not related to any particular people or situation, but is a lawyer allowed to have sexual relations with a client?"

Jenni eyed him stonily while chewing a piece of her Filet Mignon Toscano. At the final swallow, she answered.

"If such a relationship could conceivably compromise the client and/or interfere with the course of justice, then any such relationship would be deemed inadvisable. If such a relationship were to bring the Law Society or the profession into disrepute, action would be taken against the practitioner. In most other cases, no barriers exist against such dalliances particularly if other relationships are not compromised. I'd appreciate a drop of more wine, thank you."

"Of course. We must do this more often."

Harris stopped the vehicle quietly outside Jenni's home.

"That was a lovely and profitable evening, thank you," he said, jumping out and loping around the front of the vehicle to open her door. He offered his hand and she took it in acknowledgement of the courtesy.

"Key please."

She dug into her purse and found it.

He opened the door and stood aside, allowing her to move forward.

"Indeed, a lovely evening," she said, closing her eyes and pressing her face forward a little. Harris kissed her long and gently; it was he who pulled away.

"Thanks for the advice," he said.

"What, to help quell the palace revolution or advising you of a lawyer's right to have sexual relations with her or his client?" she smiled wickedly, patted his cheek and entered the house.

The door closed on two warmly uttered 'Good nights.'

Jenni stood with her back against the door and though she heard him sigh deeply.

She counted his footsteps down the path, heard the vehicle door close quietly and then the clickety-clack of the diesel as it roared into life and the vehicle left the street reasonably quietly.

She looked at her watch, knowing it was just after midnight. He hadn't as much touched her breasts let alone attempted to verbally seduced her.

She giggled aloud: "I'm harming his reputation."

Jenni ran a few inches of water into the bath and sat, soaking her feet. Those damn shoes had been rather tight. She wasn't putting on weight so blamed the hot weather. It was a time for reflection.

"Do I really want to go to Waiheke slapping around paint or draping wallpaper over arms to pass the pasted paper up to someone who knows what they're doing?"

She told herself to not be negative and decided yes, as she'd said earlier, it could be an adventure. His Lordship gave the impression she'd be his for the taking, a dirty weekend. He'd be lucky. For the life of her she couldn't understand why he was bothered with her. Jolene almost certainly would have told him not to bother with her, that Jenni was trouble and never gave any man complete satisfaction.

Jolene, damn. She'd still not been to see her, not even make a quick phone call. Well, had Jolene become paralytic? She had a car and she had a phone. Well, unless one of them moved, their friendship would turn on to its head as Jolene was off to Italy on Thursday for the autumn trade fairs. She'd call her in the morning and invite Jolene to go car hunting with her.

Jolene had been a V8 Girl in her late teens, hanging with the blokes who liked fast cars and fast babes, Mrs Mack had cried it would be the ruination of her daughter and Jenni had agreed, but then Ruth was called in to have some sessions with Jolene. She'd concluded that the teenager was a perfectly normal, sensible girl who just happened to like fast powerful cars and lusty males. And look where that got her: into the arms of Leyland Roebuck followed by an emotional walk to the altar!

Jenni had just slid between the sheets when there was a gentle tap on the door. She called, "Come in mum," aware that males thumped when door-knocking whereas females usually tapped.

"Hi darling," Ruth said. "I'm so anxious to know how the big date went?"

"It went fine, very nicely in fact. Now please don't repeat this or even hint about it to anyone but I firmly believe that I have him half-falling for me already. He's never met a female quite like me and, um well, I have no idea what he is thinking but my impression is he's more than fascinated."

"Are you saying you have Harris Roebuck soft-pedalling over you? Are you sure about that?"

"Yes, mother. Perhaps he might be not far short of being enchanted. But I'm not in his head, so I can only reply on what I see and feel and trust my instincts."

"Oh, my goodness, Jenni. Your instincts tend to be most reliable, um, in most circumstances. If you don't answer this, I'll understand. Did Harris thrust a hand under your bra or touch you down low."

"Neither."

"Omigod."

"What?"

"That doesn't sound at all like the Harris Roebuck than I've heard being spoken about including from Jolene and that makes your comment that he's already half-fallen for you appear quite credible. That being so, you may be lucky or very unlucky in having a tiger reputably like Harris by the tail."

"That's okay by me, mum."

"Yes, and well said. You've always been one for a challenge."

Jenni's phone went.

Ruth said, "Who on earth would call at this time of night. It's 12.40."

Jenni looked for the caller's name and said, "Good night mum, it's Harris."

Smiling, and blowing her daughter a kiss, Ruth said, "At least already half-fallen for you is confirmed."

She swept from the room.

Jenni answered the call with a cheerful greeting, and pulled up her short nightie, knowing what any hot guy calling this soon after a date would have on his mind.

Phone sex, of course.

Chapter 4

Jenni sat on the company-appointed management panel comprising herself as chairperson, Harris as company CEO, Mrs Melanie Hamilton, as secretary of the Senior Management Executive's Association and Peter Fraser, the company's director of staffing.

The panel had been reconstructed from earlier thoughts and faced 17 executives and senior managers.

Harris rose and addressed the meeting.

"I've called this meeting as my penultimate move in a series of moves to settle serious disquiet that arose following my sudden, although I say, inevitable appointment by my father, as replacement CEO of this company. If I fail to win a majority of support from you as a group, then it's war and some heads might roll."

"But let's concentrate on achieving a peaceful resolution for at least the majority of you. Facing you is the panel I've appointed in consultation of my father who of course owns this company along with substantial support of our bank."

"In the middle chair, is today's chairperson, Miss Jenni Lovelock, a partner in our new external firm of legal advisers. Jenni, who recently arrived back home in New Zealand after gaining higher legal qualifications in the UK, is now managing partner of her father's law firm, Lovelock Partners. Jenni also became my personal lawyer her arrival back in this city. Her family and my family have been closely linked for 47 years."

"Also, on the panel with me, are Peter Harris, our company's director of staffing and, as suggested by Peter, Mrs Melanie Hamilton, secretary of the Senior Management Executive's Association, who also is a qualified lawyer and she will be known to most if not all of you."

"To begin this meeting, I now call my father who wishes to make a short comment to you."

Harris speed-dialled a phone number and through the connection to portable speakers on each side of the table, a powerful voice boomed:

"Hi everyone, this is Leyland Roebuck and I'm pulling no punches."

"With my sudden appointment of Harris as CEO, that I regarded as his destiny, I made the mistake by not first announcing my intention to make that decision to cushion any surprise to hopefuls among you of perhaps gaining the elevation. That created some adverse reaction. Faced by some hostility, Harris came in and started swinging and oh boy, by the end of Day One of his tenure of his new position, a huge crisis was looming."

"I state this emphatically: this is my company, and this stand-off has to end now as we are already experiencing an abnormal number of cancelled orders and are receiving some nervous calls from our suppliers who've heard there's a palace revolution underway under our roof."

"Potentially, the loss of business could mushroom and that could bring my company to its knees and before long there would be no money to pay your salaries and severely affecting those people under your wing, many of whom have family responsibility being their family's principal or indeed only bread winner."

"So, we have to get back to normal soon, and I'm setting the deadline of 4.30 pm this afternoon. The company is in danger of bleeding to death from a severed economic artery. We all can fix this, so let's get cracking."

"I've ordered Harris to pull in his horns and he's committed to do that and so stays. All you guys have to do is to accept him as the new company CEO. If you can't stomach doing that, then resign as you are finished here. Now I don't wish to lose a single one of you but if you remain against Harris, you become unwanted here."

"I've been fully consulted about what's going on and what Miss Lovelock, who's been involved in reconciliation talks at international level while working in the UK, has proposed to assist us to settle this crisis. At an emergency meeting of the board this morning, her plan was accepted in its entirety. Well that's it. I believe I created a company that has a heart and now I require you leaders in management also need to exercise heart. That's it from me. Bye."

"Right everyone," Jenni said. "First, I wish to take full responsibility for recalling five of you from your field studies overseas on behalf of the company to be here today. It was an expensive call, but Harris agreed to it. My argument was it was necessary for each one of you to be here today to defend yourselves if you happen to have a finger pointed at you."

"I've examined the personal report on each one of you along with Mrs Hamilton, and discussed them along with your replies from each one of you filling out and submitting the questionnaires focused on this matter. Mrs Hamilton and I are both outsiders, she representing you directly in the professional association she represents, and I representing the company directly as its external legal consultant, with my father's firm that has replaced Shield, Young, Hoeta and Sharrock."