Timelines

Story Info
Finding love at the end of the world.
6.8k words
4.64
5.3k
11
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
bleeep
bleeep
586 Followers

18 August 2072 0023 GMT

At this pinnacle of human knowledge and understanding, Time, the bitch that she is, dealt us a near fatal blow, a GRB, Gamma Ray Burst. Normally not a problem, this one was aimed directly at us, moving at the speed of light, we had no warning. Europe and Western Asia took the brunt, roasting most of the population. Several billion people died in the ensuing days from radiation poisoning. They were the lucky ones. The rest of the planet didn't fare much better, we lost almost the entire ozone layer, other parts of the atmosphere were damaged as well. We had no protection from UV radiation from the Sun, killing most animals and plants in the following days and weeks. Billions more died. Humanity was hanging by a thread. UV radiation was increased to the point we couldn't go outside during the day. Survival required two things, underground shelter and massive stockpiles of supplies.

Some were lucky, Project Chronos was housed in retired military bunkers around the world. They had supplies and were far enough underground to be shielded from the worst of the disaster. They were completely self contained.

Project Chronos was the code name for mankind's greatest discovery, time travel. It wasn't the fantasy science fiction had portrayed. In fact it was a genuine pain in the ass. One way, backwards, with no hope of return. Not terribly useful or enticing. Sure, the historians were drooling. The chance to see historic events in person was quite alluring, and many jumped at the chance.

We were barely operational when the GRB hit. Fuck science. The politicians and those with money and influence overwhelmed the Chronos bunkers demanding to be sent to the past, to escape the Hell on Earth that was unfolding everywhere. We had no choice but to comply, usually at gunpoint. After they were gone, the rest of us were left to die. We knew how to operate the equipment, even if we didn't understand it, so we set about evacuating anyone we could find. Unfortunately, the delay cost lives.

Post disaster, we had sweep teams looking for survivors and housed them in the bunkers with us until we could 'backtime' them. I was leader of one of those teams.

19 June 2073 0210 Local Time

We were on patrol on the outskirts of what was Indianapolis, Indiana. After the GRB and ensuing famine and social collapse, there wasn't much left. Most structures still stood, though showed signs of looting. This would be our final mission, our fuel supplies were exhausted. Almost a year after the GRB, the chances of anyone left alive were slim at best. We hadn't seen another living soul in several months. We only continued the search because we were bored, waiting to be 'backtimed', the term we coined for being sent to the past. Working 24 hours a day, we still had months worth of survivors to evacuate. As long as supplies held out, we would save all we could.

"Got a blip on the FLIR Cap'." My headset crackled. It was Lt. Morales in the lead vehicle. "Half mile ahead, two bogies, moving."

"Intercept." I instructed. "Be careful out there."

"Always." Came the reply.

It wasn't long before my radio crackled again. "We got 'em Cap'. Woman and child, She's not real happy. Wants to speak with you."

"On my way." I answered. "Wait, child?"

"Affirmative." He barked. "Surprised us too."

We pulled up to Lt. Morales' vehicle and before I could even get out, a black woman approached, a small girl, maybe 6 years old, stuck to her side, eyes big as saucers.

"You in charge of these morons?" She spat.

"I'm Captain Mitch Bancroft." I said. "I'm the head 'moron'."

"If you think we're going with you, you're nuts." She seethed. "We've been on our own since this shit storm started. I'm not about to move into some hole somewhere with a bunch of useless government officials, we'll take our chances out here."

"Slow down Miss." I said, trying to calm her. "Let me explain a few things to you before you decide on anything rash."

"I'm listening." She stated.

"Let me be blunt." I started. "Humanity is doomed. Earth will survive, but will be mostly lifeless within 2 years and will remain that way for millennia, probably longer."

"Then I'd rather die out here." She interrupted. "Not in some hellhole."

"Please let me finish." I continued. "We are evacuating any survivors we can find. You and your daughter will be in a bunker, but only as long as it takes to process you. A month, maybe two."

"Evacuate, where?" She nearly screamed. "Earth is dead, you just admitted as much."

"You are correct, technically." I confirmed. I gave her a brief overview of Project Chronos, trying to keep it simple.

"Time travel." She muttered, shaking her head. "You think I'm gonna believe that?"

"It's real." I stated. "If nothing else, come with us, for your daughter's sake. If you don't want to stay, we'll give you supplies and let you leave."

"How did you know we were out of food?" She asked.

"Why else would you be out?" I answered. "Nowhere to go and nobody left. If you had what you needed, you'd be holed up somewhere."

"Maybe not so stupid after all." She smirked. "I'm Talia, this is my daughter Jama. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a look."

"Outstanding." I grinned. I knelt, smiling at Jama. "We're going to take you and your Mom to our base, OK sweetheart?"

She nodded shyly, glued to her mother's leg, faint smile on her lips.

Once back at base, I showed her and Jama to an unoccupied room. "Shower's in the back. I'll have some clothes sent over. I'll check back in an hour."

"Thank you Captain." Talia said. "I can't remember the last shower I had."

"Call me Mitch." I smiled. "That was my last patrol, I'm officially a civilian now."

"Mitch it is." She grinned.

I gave mother and daughter the two dollar tour after they were clean and clothed. Talia was in awe of the facility.

"I'd always heard rumors that there was something under this old army base, but I never believed it." She admitted. "My husband was absolutely certain. Even snuck in a few times, got caught every time though."

"Husband?" I said. "Wouldn't be Randall Landreth would he?"

"So I guess you guys noticed, huh?" She snickered.

"He was pretty persistent." I chuckled. "Got a lot closer than he knew. I presume he's...?"

"Yeah." She frowned. "He was a little eccentric, was sure the world was going to hell, that's why Jama and I are still alive. He built a bunker under our house. Only now are we getting short on provisions, that's why we were out, scouting for supplies. He was in London when it happened."

"I'm so sorry." I comforted.

I steered them to the mess hall. "I'm guessing you're hungry." I smiled down at Jama. She nodded. "Let's find you somewhere to sit and I'll get you and mommy something to eat."

I returned a few minutes later with a tray overflowing with food, and one single cookie that Jama eyed hungrily.

Seeing her light up I told her. "Real food first, but go easy, it's probably been a long time since you've had this much. That cookie isn't going anywhere."

"Thank you sir." She responded shyly.

Talia sat stunned. "She hasn't said half a dozen words in the last month. This has been very hard on her. You are the first people we've seen in at least 8 months. Before that, it was looters and armed thugs. She still doesn't know her father isn't coming home."

"I can't even imagine." I said. "I've been here since the GRB. Having to survive like you two have, especially without formal training, is impressive."

"GRB?" She queried.

"Gamma Ray Burst." I explained. "A highly concentrated energy beam released by a star that collapses into a black hole. We were on the far side of the planet or we'd be dead."

Talia pondered what I said as she and Jama ate their fill, amazed at the amount of food we had. Talia put Jama down for a nap and we walked the halls talking.

"So this time travel thing actually works?" She asked.

"It does." I answered. "At least the really smart people tell me it does."

"When, in time, are you planning to go to?" She inquired.

"Haven't decided yet." I admitted. "Anything sound good to you?"

"Is that an invitation?" She teased.

I blushed. "I-I..."

"Relax." She said, patting my arm. "Though I wouldn't mind having you as a neighbor. Jama likes you."

"She's a real sweetheart." I nodded. "After what she's been through, she deserves somewhere stable, somewhere to grow up and live."

"That reminds me." Talia said. "How is it that you are shoving thousands of people into the past without mucking up the future?"

"Ultimately, we don't know we aren't." I admitted. "We do know that we can't change anything major, but we've never sent this many before. We are trying to spread them out over several centuries, but we don't really have a choice. If we stay here, we die. I'm not the one to ask really. I can point you towards one of the science team if you want a solid explanation."

"Nah." She waved. "Mostly curious, eggheads give me a headache."

"I hear that." I laughed.

We stopped back at their room and Jama was still sleeping.

"She's going to be really popular around here." I observed. "We don't get many children, actually, I can't remember the last child I saw." I was suddenly quiet, sadness washing over my face.

"What?" Talia asked.

"I'm sorry." I answered. "Certain groups didn't fare well after the GRB, the elderly, the ill and..."

"I see." Talia frowned. "I may need to keep her isolated, work her up to it. It's just been her and me."

"I'll talk to the others." I said. "Let them know to be extra cautious."

"Seems like all I do is thank you." Talia beamed, kissing my cheek.

"There's not been much happiness around here since everything went down." I said, eyes watering. "It was all worth it, if it meant we saved her."

"That was always my biggest fear." Talia confided. "Something would happen to me, and she'd be all alone." She hugged me, crying softly. "Because of you, she'll get to grow up."

"I'll make sure to let my team know." I said. "We haven't had much good news of late."

After Jama woke, I sat and talked with them. "Do you need to retrieve anything, personal effects, mementos?"

Talia thought for a minute. "Can we take it with us to our new time?"

"As long as it's not out of place for the time period, then yes." I answered.

"There are a few things, pictures and such." She said. "If it's not too much trouble."

"I'll have a vehicle prepared." I stated. "Get some sleep, we will leave after the sun sets tomorrow."

The next evening, Lt. Morales and I drove Talia to her hiding place. I have to admit, even to my trained eye, I'd have passed right by. The house over the bunker was partially burnt and Talia obviously went to great pains to mask any sign of occupation. I saw nothing that would point to people being near. It was almost beyond belief that they'd spent a year in this rathole. How Talia had held on to her sanity...

In less than an hour, we were heading back to base. Nothing moved. It was absolutely silent. Every animal, insect and plant for as far as we could see was long dead. The rain was so acidic it would irritate exposed skin. Anything that drank it died. Feral dog packs were common in the first month or two after the GRB, once the food ran out and the rains came, they didn't last long. Rumor has it some marine life has survived, but we're over 600 miles from the nearest ocean.

Talia held a duffle in her lap, its contents, the remains of her life. "I don't think I'll miss that place." She sighed. "I'm glad Randy built it, but it's served its purpose."

She was much less apprehensive once we were back. I'd convinced her to leave Jama behind. I didn't think there was any danger, but in the unlikely event something did go wrong, at least she'd be OK.

No sooner than we rolled into the complex, Jama ran out and practically dragged her mother from the vehicle, smothering her with kisses.

"Someone's glad to see me." Talia chuckled.

I walked Jama and her mother back to their quarters. She was holding her mother's hand and after looking up at me, timidly took my hand as well. I glanced down at her and smiled, squeezing her tiny hand.

Several of the crew had scoured every inch of the bunker and had located toys, games and anything else they thought Jama might enjoy and put it in the empty room next to theirs. She was overjoyed. She played for hours most days before collapsing, fast asleep in a pile of stuffed animals. Talia and I watched her, smiling. It is amazing how fast children can bounce back from adversity. Just a few days ago, she was cowering in a stinking hole with no one but her mother for company, now, she was center of attention to several hundred surrogate aunts and uncles, myself included, who never missed a chance to play a game with her or read her a story.

I wasn't scheduled to be 'backtimed' for another month. Talia and Jama, two months after that. I had a long talk with scheduling. It wasn't fair to ask for them to be moved up, so I asked to be delayed so I could stay with them until they were sent back.

"You know there is some risk in this?" Rita, the person in charge of scheduling said.

"I do." I affirmed. "Some days we're barely able to keep this place running. We're running out of supplies, the reactor running the systems is getting temperamental and we don't have anyone qualified to work on it."

"If you wait, you might not get out." She frowned.

"They go ahead of me." I stated flatly. "That little girl deserves a chance."

Rita teared up. "You were always one of the good ones. I'll ask around and see if we might be able to move them up. Maybe someone will give up their slot for that little darling."

"Thanks Rita." I smiled.

Later that day, Jama and I were playing in her gameroom. She'd worn me out, so I leaned against the wall in a corner and watched her play. I awoke, some time later, when I heard what sounded like crying. Jama was curled up in my arms, sleeping soundly. Confused, I looked around, still not sure what I'd heard. As my eyes cleared, and focus returned, I saw Talia sitting on the floor off to my right. Tears ran down her cheeks, she was smiling.

"You OK?" I whispered.

Talia nodded. "I was afraid she'd be messed up for life." She sighed. "Seeing her...with you, I have hope she'll be OK. She really loves you, you know?"

I don't know about that." I blushed. "But I..." I suddenly went silent, my demeanor changing.

"Hey." She said, touching my arm. "You're upset. I'm sorry, did I say something?"

I was choking back tears. "No." I croaked. "Just remembering..."

"Of course." Talia smiled reassuringly. "I guess it never occurred to me that everyone here, you included, lost family. If you want to talk..."

I nodded. "All the Chronos facilities share the same computer mainframe, so all the people who are sent back are logged. My parents lived in Cleveland, there isn't a facility near there, so I'm not surprised they haven't been seen. My sister, though. She literally worked on a base with a Chronos lab. Her husband too. They had two kids, Darin and Nichole. She's about Jama's age, Darin two years older. There is no record of them. It's not impossible, but it's really unlikely they made it out. Even the people waiting have been entered into the system, we're that close to the end."

Talia hugged me, crying as well. "You already know about Randy. My parents lived in Zionsville, just northwest of Indy. The rest of my family, 2 brothers and a sister, along with a bunch of nieces and nephews, were all in the area as well. Jama was my priority, I didn't leave the bunker for over 6 months after the mess started."

She broke down, unable to continue.

"You did what you had to do." I comforted. "It was hard, but you did the right thing. You and Jama had a chance. If you'd have tried to find them, chances are good you'd have all died in the riots and looting."

She nodded, sniffling. "I know. Doesn't make it any easier though."

"None of this has been easy." I sneered. "The universe tried to exterminate us. The fucking government left us all to die. I'm surprised they didn't have the Chronos units destroyed. Several of them did go offline shortly after the last of the government fuckers left. This whole thing is so fucked up."

She wiped her face, trying to smile.

"Every one of those bastards left someone behind." I spat. "Not because they had no choice, they didn't fucking care. They saved their own worthless hides."

"You...we had no choice." I explained. "I would have died to save even one of my family. You had to save Jama, your child, every parent's number one priority." I kissed her forehead. "If you want, we can check the computer and see if any of your family was picked up?"

She nodded, a feeble smile curling her lips.

There was no record of any of her family. Not really surprising, we weren't allowed to open the bases up until after the 'important' people had been saved. That was nearly 4 months post GRB. By then, nearly 90% of the human population was dead. Even so, we managed to rescue over 10,000 just at our base.

Talia was sad that her family wasn't saved, but at least she knew.

That morning, I went to bed. I was still on the night patrol schedule, even though they'd stopped. I just didn't see any need to change. There were no windows, so time of day was rather arbitrary, at least to me. I stirred briefly in my sleep, not awakened enough to be aware of anything, rolled over and went back to sleep.

As my eyes fluttered open, I was instantly confused. I knew my eyes were open, but all I could see was blackness. Startled, I attempted to move, only to find I was not alone, and someone was laying in my arms. My face was buried in a mass of dark hair, and a body, a decidedly female body, was in bed with me, facing away, offering me an enticing view of her dark skinned shoulder and back. She was breathing slowly, still asleep, so I nuzzled into her hair and just enjoyed the closeness.

"You're awake." Her voice said, several minutes later, when she finally woke.

"I am." I answered. "To what do I owe the pleasure, Talia?"

"Yesterday was sad, for both of us." She explained. "I figured you might like a good cuddle, I know I did." She turned over and wrapped me in her arms, peering into my eyes. "You have been so nice to Jama and me since you rescued us. I guess I've become rather fond of you." She grinned and kissed me softly.

Up til now, I hadn't given much thought to romance. I was too busy just trying to survive. I will admit that since we weren't patrolling for survivors, I was becoming increasingly bored awaiting my time to depart. Looking at Talia, first, I was surprised by her clothing. More accurately, the complete lack of it. Rather intimate for a cuddle, I smiled internally. Second, she was stunning. Shining brown eyes, seeming to peer into my soul, angelic smile, luscious, full lips that drew me in for a tender kiss.

"Someone seems to have stolen your clothes." I chuckled.

"No more so than you." She observed wickedly.

"In my defense, I wasn't expecting company." I grinned. "I'm pretty sure I could get used to it though."

"Good." She giggled, pushing me onto my back then straddling my hips. "I hate sleeping alone."

The rest of her came into full view. Ample, firm tits, sitting high and proud on her chest, dark chocolate nipples all but screaming for my lips, surprisingly well nourished core, despite nearly a year of starvation rations, indented by the most adorable belly button. Rounding out the package, full hips leading to her inner sanctum, obscured by an unruly tangle of tightly curled, jet black pubic hair.

"So this is sleeping?" I teased.

"I've heard it called that." She responded.

I ran my hands up her sides then palmed her breasts, her nipples poking into my hands.

bleeep
bleeep
586 Followers
12