Tracking Evil, a Podcast Pt. 13b

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The farm was eerily quiet, Erica didn't know what she was doing here or what she should do next. Figuring that standing around wasn't proactive, she headed to the main house, knocking on the door.

Erica waited a full minute, tried knocking again, waiting close to another minute before deciding that nobody was home. She wandered past the house, into a main farm yard flanked by barns and sheds on three sides.

"Hello? HELLO? IS THERE ANYBODY THERE?" Erica cupped her hands to her face, calling out loudly. She smiled at the ridiculousness of the moment. At least she had her phone with her. She'd use her map app, get her location. If there was a town close by, she'd walk, if not then she'd arrange for a cab or something.

"Ma'am, you, okay? You lost?"

<<0>>

"She still isn't answering her messages," Arlene looked fit to kill, though that was more about a serial killer so close to falling within her grasp than Erica acting out.

"Well while you were trying to catch Erica on the phone, I had my latest admirer ring our killer" Sondra said proudly.

"You did what?" Arlene said loudly, still brimming with annoyance.

"Ibrahima, I had him call the number he gave us. I know Victor is chasing down its location, I just wanted to get some intel ahead of time."

"And did you get any?" Arlene said, tapping a foot impatiently on the ground as she waited for Sondra to approach something resembling a point.

"I did. Phone was answered by Lucas Campbell, apparently your serial killer has himself a bodyguard," Sondra said, taking a small bow as she delivered this useful information.

"Lucas Campbell, I know this name," Denisa said walking into the room.

"Do you? Do you know it aint polite to eavesdrop?" Sondra said bad temperedly.

"Yes. Thank you. This is for you." Denisa handed a sheet of paper that bore an address on it. Victor had come through on tracking down the cell phone.

"It's a six-hour drive," Arlene noted, looking at the address.

"Then let's get going," Sondra replied, starting to gather her gear.

They were loading up the SUV when Denisa arrived back. She had changed her clothing, now wearing knee high leather biker boots, a short denim skirt and just a simple black bra.

"I am coming with you," she announced.

"The fuck you are!" Sondra retorted, "And what the fuck are you wearing?"

"My shit kickers," Denisa said proudly, lifting a boot back on hits heel, turning it so that Sondra could fully appreciate it.

"Shit kickers?" The black woman repeated incredulously.

"Yes, for kicking the shit out of people," Denisa's reply sounded like she felt Sondra was somehow slow on the uptake. Sondra didn't miss the implication and she clenched a fist, stepping toward an unconcerned Denisa.

"Hold up Sondra," Arlene ordered, looking at the slight Romanian teenager. "Why exactly are you coming with us?"

"This Lucas Campbell. He is a wanted felon. Fifty-thousand-dollar reward." Denisa looked at Sondra adding "This is business, just business."

Gheorghe appeared behind his daughter, a sheet of paper in his hands. He raised an eyebrow at his daughter's outfit but chose to say nothing, instead he turned to Arlene instead, handing her the paper.

"Lucas Campbell, his criminal record and photograph. It will be useful," he said.

"It will," Arlene agreed.

"My daughter wishes to go along," Gheorge said matter of factly, "I want to know, this killer you seek, will you kill him in turn?"

Arlene leaned against the side of the SUV, the advice of Abraham and Zeke fresh in her mind.

"I'd say that's my business, wouldn't you?"

"It becomes my problem if my daughter is then implicated in a murder," Gheorge said, his tone never shifting despite Arlene's defiant stance and answer.

"That's fair. Then the answer is, no I don't plan on killing him. Right now, I need him alive for answers. Good enough?"

"Good enough," he nodded firmly, then tossed Denisa a set of car keys. "You will follow them to this place, secure your prisoner without jeopardising Arlene or Sondra or their mission. Are we understood?"

"Cool," Denisa replied.

"Not 'cool' daughter. Are we understood?"

"Yes Papa, I understand," Denisa for all her bravado and attitude, wilted at the stern tone of her father.

"Excellent. I wish you all good hunting. Return safe," Gheorghe turned, leaving them to their final preparations.

<<0>>

Erica turned at the sound of the voice, a blonde-haired man in his early twenties had emerged from one of the sheds. He was wearing work-clothes, heavy boots, the front of his t shirt emblazed with the emblem of a local feed store. He walked towards her, wiping hands that appeared to be stained with grease or oil on a rag tucked into one of his front pockets.

"I'm Ray," he said, holding out a cleanish hand for Erica to shake. "You lost or did your car break down or something?"

Erica gave a sheepish laugh, running a hand through her short hair in embarrassment.

"No, ahh, this is going to sound ridiculous maybe. Do you know Big Saul by any chance? I think I am supposed to meet him."

"Nope, Mr Wright's not here right now, I expect him back later but I couldn't tell you exactly when. Wait did you say you 'think' you're supposed to meet him?" Ray looked at Erica with confusion, she wished she could say he was the only one having this conversation that was confused.

"Yeah, umm, well Randall Tiller just dropped me off, I don't know if that explains things?" She laughed again, embarrassed by how stupid she was sounding.

"Not really, I've only been working here myself a few months," Ray smiled at her, obviously smitten by the attractive woman in front of him.

Erica sought to change the subject, to distract him. Last thing she wanted was a man hitting on her, however sweet he might seem. She figured it might go better if she asked some questions.

"So, what sort of farm is this anyway?"

"Well this place, it goes on for hundreds of acres, it's been in Mr Wright's family for generations. Started out as tobacco farmers but that got to be a tough market so some years back Mr Wright diversified."

"Cool," Erica had zero clue about tobacco farming or what manner of diversification a farmer might pursue. 'Cool' had seemed a safe response.

"Exactly," Ray said, "See a lot of the land is hills, not much good for growing anyway, that's why he moved into trees."

"Right, for lumber," Erica interjected, looking to sound knowledgeable.

"Nope, for the holidays. We grow Christmas trees."

"Christmas trees," Erica echoed. Randall had dropped her off to meet a man called Big Saul who grew Christmas trees. Was this a practical joke or something?

"Of course, he kept some acres for the tobacco, family tradition and he is big on that. Same reason he keeps the hogs, little to no money in it but it's a passion I guess." Ray grinned at Erica expression.

"Right, so trees, tobacco and pigs," Erica said ticking them off with the fingers on one hand.

"Hogs," Ray corrected her.

"Sorry, hogs. And you... work for Saul, umm Mr Wright?"

"Yep, mostly I look after the trees, Marvin and me. Marvin works here as well, been here a lot longer too. We split the work. He takes care of the tobacco crop but helps me out and vice versa. Mr Wright, well he oversees and minds his hogs."

"Okay, yeah, I think I got it. So, if Saul, Mr Wright, if he is going to be a while, maybe I'll walk into town. How far is that?"

"Five miles, give or take. Course if you want to kill time, I'm heading up to check on some things. You are welcome to come along."

Erica considered. Five miles wasn't much but looking for a man she'd never met didn't sound appealing and then she'd only have to walk back here afterwards. She didn't have Randall's number so calling him wasn't an option. Looking at Ray, he came across as open and friendly, he had a good-looking face. Couple of hours wandering a farm in this pretty terrain. Worse ways she could spend her time.

"Sure, I'd love to," Erica answered him.

"Well great, let's go," Ray said turning to walk back to the workshop he had exited, Erica skipped a few steps to catch up with him.

"Can I ask you something else?" Ray asked, perhaps a hint of awkwardness about him. "You really here to meet Mr Wright?"

"Yes," she answered then Erica slowed her steps, "Why do you ask?"

Ray slowed as well, rubbing at the back of his neck, his eyes turned away, clearly embarrassed now.

"It's uh, well rumours and such. I guess they can't be true. Can't see someone like you being here for anything like that. No, forget I asked. Aint none of my business no how."

He turned and walked on rapidly, outstripping Erica who was trying to figure out the meaning behind his words. She hurried to catch up with him, a question on her lips when she saw what he was sitting on.

"Cool," this time she meant it as well.

Ray was sitting on a big Quad bike, fire engine red and gleaming clean.

"Just finished servicing it," he said, which explained the oil she had seen on his hands. "Hop on."

Erica didn't need asking twice, jumping on the back of the quad and releasing a 'whoop' of excitement as he shot out the open door of the workshop, speeding out of the yard and on out into the farm fields. They tore along across open fields until the gradient began to climb. Ray brought the bike to a halt and looked around.

"Pretty, isn't it? I've been on this route every day for months and I can't get sick of this view." Erica had to agree with him, they'd actually gone uphill without her noticing so now she was looking down at an angle into the small hollow that housed the farm and it's building. In the bright sunshine, the green grass, gleaming metal on building, big blue sky, hills rolling behind it all. It looked like a postcard image.

"You want it?" Ray said. Erica blushed, her mind leaping to the idea of sex, just because she'd had her arms about his waist. Damn but her mind seemed forever in the gutter these days. But Ray was instead asking if she'd like to try driving the Quad.

"I'd love to, but are you sure?"

"Course. Slide up here where I'm sitting, I'll be right behind you, help you along."

This was going to be good. She'd wanted to ride one of these for ages but just hadn't found the time. It looked like the rest and relaxation was back on. Ray gave her a quick tutorial, throttle, clutch, brakes, steering. Then she settled in, ready to take control. The farm hand shifted forward, leaning over her shoulder as Erica prepared to set off.

"Yeah that's good, now just let it go," he commented and Erica have the Quad bike moving. She took it slow; they were heading uphill after all but it was still exhilarating. Ray kept a close eye on her, this necessitated him leaning forward, the front of his body pressed tight against hers.

They hit some bumpy patches and Erica wasn't surprised when his hands rested on her hips, steadying them both. Even when the terrain smoothed out, Ray's hands remained in place. She hadn't been sure at first but after the first few minutes, Erica was convinced that she could feel his cock poking her in the small of her back.

She said nothing, it could well be entirely innocent. The jolting ride, pushed up against one another. It was only natural if his body had responded in that way. Erica was having fun and she didn't want to embarrass the poor guy after he'd been sweet enough to entertain her. Talking into her ear and pointing, Ray directed Erica further north, the bike eventually coming to a halt in front of a plot of trees. They had been planted in orderly rows, stretching out as far as she could see. Erica stood up on the Quads footrests, peering at the man-made forest. It looked likes rows and rows of soldiers on parade, magnificent in their green uniforms.

"What now?" Erica was starting to be intrigued by what went on here.

"Now? Now I walk a section. I look to make sure trees are healthy, growing straight, that nothings been gnawing on them. That kind of thing. Not like raising livestock, trees pretty much take care of themselves," Ray said swinging off the Quad. Erica stole a quick glance as he did, yep, definitely hard. Cute guy, hard cock and she wasn't remotely interested. 'Because he isn't black' her mind whispered.

She followed Ray, the 'work' seeming nothing more than a pleasant stroll among the evergreens. The smell was intense as they walked among the rows, a smell that reminded her of the holiday season, hanging ornaments on the tree, watching Christmas movies with her parents, all good memories associated with that smell.

"I lose you there?" Rays voice sounded a little concerned.

"What? Uh no." Erica realized she'd spaced out for a moment, caught reminiscing about times when her life had been a whole lot less complicated. "Sorry, it's the smell. Guess I like it more than I knew. Sense, memory link. Happy times."

"I get it, happens to me as well. Something powerful, smell like that, can't help but transport you. Key, though, key is having a good memory to link it with."

"True," Erica said, "For me, this is Christmas. Not original but there you go, that's what it is. What about you?"

"Ah different stuff, Christmas was never that good in my house growing up. Nah, I guess for me, maybe when Mr Wright hired me on, my first time up here after that."

"Awwwh, that's a shame. Sorry to hear about the holidays not being good growing up. Pity that it only sparks a memory of work for you," Erica squeezed his arm in an unthinking gesture of sympathy.

"Well, we make new memories all the time. Now, now I'll associate the smell with clinging onto a beautiful girl as she drove me up here. That sound better?" He laughed cautiously, watching for Erica's reaction which was to laugh merrily along with him, the slight tension easing from Ray when she did, his laughter smoothing out, less forced. Erica was feeling good, relaxed. It had been months of hiding out, a funeral for a friend, weeks living rough in New York, a dark, brutal porn experience, now this, nature and unforced genuine laughter. How could she not feel better surrounded by all this.

"Wait," she said, approaching Ray, "Let me give you a good memory as well."

She rose up on her toes, her hand resting on his neck for balance, kissing him gently on the cheek.

The young man flushed at the touch and Erica realised too late that she had made a mistake, his arm trying to curl about her waist. Thinking quickly, she stepped away, turning as if admiring the view.

Still blushing, for another reason now, the young farmhand continued on with his inspection. It took the guts of an hour and most of it passed in silence, Ray still smarting from Erica's subtle rejection.

Eventually he had covered the section of trees he needed to inspect. Ray didn't offer to take Erica any further through the farm, instead they took the bike back to the farmyard. Erica leaned in to give him a thank you kiss, Ray staying stiff as he remained on the bike, suffering her kiss in silence.

"Any idea where I should go? Where might Mr Wright be on the farm?" Erica looked at Ray, troubled that her rejection had left him so sullen looking.

"Try Marvin, up by the drying sheds. He might know. He's more your type I reckon," Ray said, adding a word that Erica didn't quite catch as he turned the quad around, speeding away.

'What the fuck is a mud shark anyway?' Erica wondered about this as she went looking for this Marvin character.

In the end it turned out that the drying out sheds lay on the border of the tobacco fields. Erica simply skirting fields until she found them.

There were three sheds it seemed, two of them looking abandoned and dilapidated, a physical indication of the reduction in tobacco being produced by the farm. The third shed, the middle one, looked like it had been built a century before, the pine wood stained a rich golden yellow through its time and use. A figure lounged in front of it, a plume of smoke appearing about his head as Erica approached, even at a distance she could smell the cigarette smoke on the breeze.

Marvin, as it turned out to be, was older than Ray, past forty for sure, possibly even fifty years old. Perhaps fate had given him the chance to work harvesting tobacco, perhaps it was a choice on his part. He certainly seemed to be a fan of what he helped grow. As Erica closed the distance between them, raising a hand in greeting, she saw him light up another cigarette mere moments after finishing one.

"Nice morning," he called out as she came close. By 'nice morning' Erica took him to mean 'who are you? Why are you here? At least it's not raining'.

"It is, beautiful here. Is Saul around?"

"Nope, not right now." He seemed polite enough, making an effort to be nice, even flashing her a smile with teeth as yellowed as the wooden structure behind him. "You up from the city, is you? Looking to get some kind of bulk order in for trees? It's Ray you need to be talking to then with Saul away."

"No, it's not about trees. Actually, I just met Ray and he directed me here. Randall Tillman dropped me off, so I could meet with Saul," unlike with Ray, the mention of Randall having been her impetus to visit the farm caused a subtle change in Marvin's stance.

"Randall, eh? Yep, that explains it then." He had a scruffy look to him, clothes a size too big, chin carrying three days growth of beard, his hair in need of a barber's attention. The second rolled cigarette went the same way as the first, crushed beneath the heel of his boot. It seemed, for now, that he had chosen to completely disregard her presence. Marvin pulled some cigarette papers and a pouch of tobacco from his back pocket, expertly rolling a third cigarette as Erica watched. This was popped behind his left ear for safekeeping, the next rolled cigarette went behind the opposite ear, finally the third cigarette he held unlit between his teeth as he replaced the pouch and papers in his pocket. She thought it was a disgusting habit, smoking, but still she'd been impressed with the dexterous strokes of his fingers as he had nimbly formed the cigarettes, never spilling any of the tobacco as he did so.

Erica wasn't enjoying the silence, not out here alone with this odd black man. As with Ray, she thought that questions might be the way to go.

"Saul, Mr Wright. Does he have a family? The farmhouse seemed quiet, empty."

"Nah, man never married, not from lack of interest in him. Fine acreage he has, big spread, big stretch where that man's concerned. Lot of women interested in that." He gave a wicked chuckle at this point, Erica failing to see the humour in women being interested solely in the man's property.

"So, I guess he doesn't have children. Shame, he can't pass on the family farm."

"He has, more than you would believe," Marvin said, again chuckling at his words. Erica figured she was being made fun of at this point and so switched to another topic.

"Does the farm work keep you busy?" Erica wanted to ask something to get the conversation rolling again, then she could enquire what exactly he had meant by 'that explains it' in regard to her being here.

"You insinuating something?" Marvin flicked a hard glare her way, offended it seemed by the idea that he wasn't presently hard at work.

"No, no, not at all," Erica replied hurriedly, "I'm just interested to know what's involved. I mean, drying shed's, what's that even for?"

Marvin had been in the act of lighting his third cigarette but he paused at her question.

"Want me to show you?" He asked as if expecting a rebuff to follow.

"Would you? I'd like that," Erica said, pleased to see the pleasure that her words brought him.

Marvin led her to the drying shed. More of a barn really given its size. There was a small door on the right that he opened, shepherding her through it quickly. He closed the door behind them, "Got to keep it closed, keeping the heat inside is important."