All Comments on 'Traditions Ch. 02 - The Tupping'

by satindesires

Sort by:
  • 66 Comments
shopratshopratabout 2 months ago

The word "exasperated" in the sentence fragment above regarding Lorraine's mental state should be "exacerbated", not "exasperated". To be "exasperated" is to be frustrated. To "exacerbate" a problem or issue means means to make the situation worse. For some reason, half the authors on lit seem to get this wrong, as well as an ever-increasing number of major newspaper editors. If everybody keeps doing it wrong long enough, I suppose it will eventually become the correct usage :-). But this nit didn't get in the way of your excellent story, so thanks for the hard work!

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyabout 2 months ago

Very interesting ending!

5

ArdieffArdieffabout 2 months ago

Nice. Too bad there wasn't a series of arsons across the island as a parting gift ;-)

DrtywrdsmithDrtywrdsmithabout 2 months ago

Great story! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Rolando1225Rolando1225about 2 months ago

Great story. Different, interesting, and fun to read. Thanks for this amazing story of treachery in a marriage and its consequences.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

A baby just over one half of one pound survived, and was healthy?!?

/

The consequences weren’t enough. People have to sleep sometime. Easy enough to slit a throat, or suffocate your enemies. The traitor slut, her enabler witch mother, and the monster should have been subdued, and then disappeared.

/

ZK

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Not sure a 9 ounce baby could be described as strapping. Otherwise, great story.

Avalon101Avalon101about 2 months ago

Great story, similar but different to Fredoberto's story called 'Gifted' also set in Scotland

GarySmith69GarySmith69about 2 months ago

Definitely a big nod to the "Wicker Man" the 1970s version. Very good. Thanks.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bcabout 2 months ago

Entertaining and well written. Rushed the back halt but well done overall. 4.1*

Buster2UBuster2Uabout 2 months ago

10 Big Blazing Stars for a Very Excellent and Interesting Story. Reminiscent of the Burning Man. Where the Islanders or Villagers conspire against the stranger and trick him into volunteering to be in the Burning Man. In this Case the wife Lied about the significance of the "Tup" NOT telling the husband that she was going to be "bred" by someone else. I agree he should have divorced the slut for the lying and the infidelity. Her infidelity and cruelty were thrown in hubby's face. Too bad she didn't live long enough to feel the sorrow that she caused. Great Writing. Thanks, Buster2U

Qwer12Qwer12about 2 months ago

Rubbish and a solid 1. Cheers

miket0422miket0422about 2 months ago

Even if Tom had been willing to accept the "tradition" at face value there was still no hope for the marriage.

He asked her point blank if there were any duties associated with being solstice queen. Once she replied that there were absolutely none, that it was strictly ceremonial their marriage was over.

Having Lorraine's part of their dialogue be less over the top and fanatical could have made this story more emotionally deep. With her playing an almost cartoonish role it was obvious what the end result was going to be and there was no reason for a reader to feel any emotional connection to any of the characters.

Karl_HundassonKarl_Hundassonabout 2 months ago

Strong redheaded men called MacLeod who can fuck all night? A dislike of "incomers"?

The island is the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides.

The story is almost credible. :) *****

BTW It may amuse/interest? USA readers to know that a certain Donald Trump is half MacLeod of that lineage.

frazodfrazodabout 2 months ago

The baby a strapping 9 ounce girl survived.

A baby of 9 oz would not be "strapping" :).

I think you meant pounds

CriosCriosabout 2 months ago

I too, like this particular plot line. And, yes, Fredoberto’s “Gifted” is the best of the genre. This story is good but I couldn’t give it a 5 because the writing was a bit sloppy.

LechemanLechemanabout 2 months ago

Wow, sad and freaky.

GrendelpuppyGrendelpuppyabout 2 months ago

Five stars!

If you altered the story a bit so that the husband had sex with his wife after the first extramarital encounter but before he discovered a second, it would be an excellent illustration of why husbands shouldn't be so eager to ditch the bitch.

c24jc24jabout 2 months ago

I liked the story, but I don't think it was necessary to kill off Lorraine. She started out shallow, but was learning, and obviously learned too late what a bad influence her mother was. She should have survived to fully ap[reciate the damage she'd done, and the full ramifications. Having her die in childbirth, perhaps without ever knowing the child was Tom's, was sort of a letdown.

PowersworderPowersworderabout 2 months ago

It was okay, but the ending felt rushed.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Evil bitches got their due, nicely done.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Satin Desires has a knack for this type of lore-legend-story and this doesn't disappoint. The ending felt a bit clipped, but still an enjoyable farcical romp.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Shame Lorraine died before she knew it was Tom's baby after all. Her knowing would have been perfect.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

THAT was very good! An entertaining variation of the theme laid out in previous stories.

.

5 *****

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xabout 2 months ago

You probably shouldn't call this Chapter 2 since it's a totally different story.

\

"We don't regard it as infidelity" - How THEY regard it is immaterial. As soon as you involve outsiders, you have to consider their feelings, not to mention that not even all the islanders buy into the bullshit.

SKHPSKHPabout 2 months ago

No significant changes in relation to "Traditions Ch. 1". Even some sentences were identical. And Fredobertos story is better. So, sorry only ⭐⭐⭐ for your effort.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Ending was rushed but I still enjoyed it.

FD45FD45about 2 months ago

‘Exacerbated’, not exasperated

njlaurennjlaurenabout 2 months ago

This and the other part were similar. I generally like SDs stories, but neither of them really did it for me. The MC ends up with another local woman, which should be a good ending, but it didn't feel like that..in both cases the wives either were vile or they really were mentally ill. In chapter 1 she never really seems to grasp what she had done, never really understands how much of a betrayal it was, she keeps excusing it.

When he does what he does to make her feel it she is angry at him, and she never takes it out on her mother. Among other things given that no one else is doing it, the wife has to be a psycho to go along with it.

I thought the twist in chapter 2, where the wife died because she is generically weakened bc of too much inbreeding was a nice touch as an fu to the whole process. At the end about the only thing it needed was an exposé in the Daily Mail about the Island..the villagers were equally guilty in that they didn't help Tom, covered for the wife and mother.

AardieAardieabout 2 months ago

How did he get word to the police?

Hooked1957Hooked1957about 2 months ago

Please don't tell me you didn't know that "shtupping" is the Yiddish word for fucking.

Hooked

Schwanze1Schwanze1about 2 months ago

DJT is Scot? I knew there was something about him I liked. One quarter Douglas clan myself.

Schwanze1Schwanze1about 2 months ago

Thank you for not writing a willing cuck story. Engaging page turner. Easy five.

doctrptdoctrptabout 2 months ago

Moral of the story: lies destroy relationships.

Escape_WithinEscape_Withinabout 2 months ago

Nice twist for the ending. As with some others I was expecting an escape from the island. In a show of great respect for different belief systems, this is a tale of two systems that are incompatible. It is also inferred, either intentionally or unintentionally, that some differences will result in violence due to their incompatibility. I come to this conclusion because they refused to allow him to walk away. Also the flying picture frame. Well done 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

This is a nicely done twist on this sub-genre of LW tales. The fact Lorraine dies in childbirth is indeed richly ironic. It would have been more satisfying if Megan had suffered a more painful fate than simply disappearing into obscurity, but such is life all too frequently. Many thanks to satindesires for his posting the results of his labors here.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

I thought that a good little twist would have been that the 'superior genetics' of the tup were partly responsible for Lorraine's death. Having a large baby and subsequent difficulties in birthing it could be very stressful. There's a price to pay for perfection. But then it turns out to be Tom's, so.

Yeah, some editing would have been good. I am glad Tom did not back down from Sean. There's kind of a love/hate thing with these type of stories. I hate seeing the protagonist get used as a swab to clean out the sewers, but I love seeing them come out on top. Especially if they can take NUMEROUS pounds of flesh out of ALL of the antagonists in the process.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

So, so. 3*

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

@ Karl_Hundasson "USA readers to know that a certain Donald Trump is half MacLeod of that lineage." It was mentioned that the islanders were hereditary weaklings until Tupping was brought in as a custom and that Lorraine died because of a genetic deficiency. Inbreeding explains a lot doesn't it. Sometimes even an outcross can't set things right. 5 stars for this homage to The Wicker Man. It's a shame Patrick Mcgoohan was sacrificed but to Nicholas Cage it's good riddance.

TwentysevenTwentysevenabout 2 months ago

This is not your best work. The major flaw is the proposition that only a small percentage of people still followed the tradition, and yet no-one would help him off the island. You can't have it both ways. In addition, you really rush the ending, as if you could not be bothered any more. Lorraine dying in childbirth is just the worst example.

26thNC26thNCabout 2 months ago

Great story. I like that all those involved in the cheating came to different, but still bad sends. Glad the baby was Tom’s.

tralan69ertralan69erabout 2 months ago

@sbrooks103x

You probably shouldn't call this Chapter 2 since it's a totally different story. -" Probably?" That is a wishy-washy comment if I ever heard one.

\

"We don't regard it as infidelity" - How THEY regard it is immaterial. As soon as you involve outsiders, you have to consider their feelings, not to mention that not even all the islanders buy into the bullshit. - It wasn't immaterial to them and really none of your business.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

@Grendelpuppy you're a sad little man

TeslerTeslerabout 2 months ago

Good story. I liked the way that Tom played it. 4 stars. Not sure Lorraine needed to die though.

GamblnluckGamblnluckabout 2 months ago

Just to be nitpicky, but something like the tupping would increase inbreeding and not necessarily breed better progeny. You'd be selecting simply for strength and size. Congenital heart problems etc would actually increase.

Nothingman83Nothingman83about 2 months ago

A healthy 9 ounce baby? Not possible.

MattblackUKMattblackUKabout 2 months ago

That worked really well. 5* Of course the tupping was a dangerous idea as it actually would bring about risks of congenital diseases. As they found out, sadly.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

@gamblinluck is correct: that fact is noted in the story.

@Nothingman is incorrect: healthy 9-pound babies aren't common, but neither are they rare, especially if the mother is big.

Can't help feeling sorry for Lorraine. Of course she should have refused the 'tupping' (and should not have believed her mother), but it's a little hard that she pays for it by losing her husband, her sanity, and her life.

WargamerWargamerabout 1 month ago

Top tale, great plot well written.

5/5 all the way

Huedogg2Huedogg2about 1 month ago

so in the end the wife turned out to be an island slut

HighBrowHighBrowabout 1 month ago

Inbreeding does not lead to genetic health. In fact, it is the exact opposite, which no one engaging in it could fail to notice. Islanders already have a problem achieving outbreeding for genetic diversity. Tom would be the prize not Sean.

XluckyleeXluckyleeabout 1 month ago

4 stars from Xluckylee for a story I liked but didn't love

SatyrDickSatyrDickabout 1 month ago

[01.04.24]

Spot on story!

11/10!!!!!

lujon2019lujon2019about 1 month ago

you storues have a lot of detail in the build up, and tend to skimp on the fallout

silentsoundsilentsoundabout 1 month ago

Haha! Sharp response to belligerent retards.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

I agree with the previous comment: the author is good with building the story, then puff! The end is like losing steam.

oldmanbill69oldmanbill69about 1 month ago

Weird but good story !

enderlocke77enderlocke77about 1 month ago

why is it ch 2 and do we need to read ch 2?

AnonymousAnonymous17 days ago

You should continue this series. It's one of the most intriguing premises on here

AnonymousAnonymous5 days ago

Too bad the mother did not die also.

5 stars from me.

Fjmax6Fjmax63 days ago

9 ounce baby, pretty damn small.....Glad Lorraine got to enjoy the final 9 months or so of her life in misery knowing she destroyed her marriage then died delivering Tom's daughter. Sean deserved more time in jail for f###ing some other mans wife.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usersatindesires@satindesires
I like the loving wives category but it can be difficult to come up with something different and the comments can be ruthless. I try to explore alternate realities or situations with angst. The stories are fantasy and nowhere near realism, most are a bit tongue in cheek, pleas...

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Traditions Previous Part
Traditions Series Info